Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Black Bean Brownies – No Flour Required!

Black Bean Brownies – the ultra fudgy and decadent chocolate treat.

The famous chocolate fudge black bean brownies recipe from @choccoveredkt... (500k + repins) https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

pin-it

Edit: Thank you to everyone who has been asking…

After more than a year in the works, my NEW cookbook is finally available!

Based on your feedback, every single recipe in the book comes with complete nutrition facts including calories, total fat, carbohydrates, protein, and Weight Watchers points.

Above – Watch how to make black bean brownies.

pin-it

I know what you’re thinking.

“Why would I want to eat a healthy brownie when I could be eating a deep, dark, rich, fudgy, and chocolatey brownie instead?”

But what if the deep, dark, rich, chocolate brownie is the healthy brownie?

No, not in a dream world. These black bean brownies are healthy brownies that DO NOT taste healthy, and I can say that with assurance, as they’ve been tested on three different groups of people used to “normal” desserts.

For the ultimate test, my roommate brought two pans of the vegan black bean brownies into work and set them down on the table without revealing the secret or saying they were healthy.

She came home with no brownies left… but with five requests for the healthy black bean brownie recipe!

You May Also Like: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

black bean brownies

pin-it

Easy Black Bean Brownies

I know some of you have been disappointed by mediocre bean-based brownies you’ve tried in the past, which is why it’s taken me so long to come up with my own recipe:

I’ve tried some awful black bean brownie recipes in the past, too. For example? Don’t think you’ll get brownies by adding cocoa powder to my Chickpea Cookie Dough Dip and baking it.

Trust me. You’ll get cardboard.

I wanted a recipe that would not let people down; a recipe that could stand up to a regular sugar-and-flour brownie in a competition.

And these really do!

The Best Black Bean Brownies Recipe

Also, huge thanks to everyone who’s been sharing these on Instagram!

If you try the brownies, be sure to rate the recipe here, or tag @ChocolateCoveredKatie on Instagram so I can see and like your pictures!

pin-it

Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Black Bean Brownies

These super healthy black bean brownies are the ultra fudgy and decadent chocolate treat.
4.93/5 (1,492)
Total Time 15 minutes
Yield 9 - 12 brownies

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder (10g)
  • 1/2 cup quick oats 40g (See nutrition link below for substitutions)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave (75g)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 2 tbsp sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup)
  • 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil 40g (See nutrition link for substitution notes)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (115-140g) (Not optional. Omit at your own risk)
  • optional: more chips, for presentation

Instructions

• Black Bean Brownies Recipe: Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well. (A blender can work if you absolutely must, but the texture—and even the taste—will be much better in a food processor. I use this food processor.) Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8x8 pan. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top. Cook the black bean brownies 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. If they still look a bit undercooked, you can place them in the fridge overnight and they will magically firm up! Makes 9-12 brownies. If you make this recipe, don't forget to leave a review! The trick with these: serve them first, and then reveal the secret ingredient. In all the times I’ve served bean desserts, not one single person who didn’t know beforehand has ever guessed!
    View Black Bean Brownies Nutrition Facts

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

3308 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Carol says

I’ve made these a few times now and they’ve turned out great. I tried putting a half a teaspoon of instant coffee in there for a mocha flavor for a little change up.

2. Ann Ferg says

It came out Grreaat!! Delicious, easy, quick, and inexpensive. I just added 3oz of milk to be able to blend it. It took me 20 min in my toaster oven. Thank you.

3. Larissa says

My dear friemd Carla made these for me today and they tasted like the real thing! I want another one really bad but its to late at night right now..

4. whitney prince says

I am super impressed. So things I subtituted because I did not have what was needed:Pancake syrup (I know I know but it worked), A packet of peanut butter instant oatmeal, and canola oil, and no extract. Still awesome. The batter tasted so good I thought ohh yeah this is going to be goooood, and it was! Great job nailing a perfectly fudgy brownie and I know noone will be able to detect it.

5. Lynn says

I have made these for several occasions, and nobody knows they are vegan and gluten free, let alone flour free and made with beans ! Huge success, thanks for a great recipe.

6. Chrystal says

These were great! I’m saving the recipe and absolutely making them again. My bean hating son tried one and said it was delicious. 👍🏻

7. Debbie says

These are amazing! I had some dried black turtle beans that I wanted to throw away as I didn’t like the taste after cooking it. Then I came across this recipe and decided to give it a try. It turned out to be 4 cups after soaking and cooking, so I doubled everything else on this recipe and it came out so delicious! Will definitely be making it again.

8. Katie says

Seriously so good! Have made these multiple times! No one would ever guess there are beans in them. They are moist and sweet and delicious!

9. Krysraline86 says

I’ve made these twice. The second time, I used a scale to measure the cocoa powder, and realized that 2 tbsp of this is NOT 10g. I decided to keep adding until I got to 10g, which turned out to be about 3 tbsp. Now THIS is what makes it a brownie 😉 I also use coconut oil, so they seemed to need to bake for 30 min instead of 18. Delicious!

10. Shani says

These brownies are revolutionary. Rich! Nutritious! Delectable! Recommended by a friend, the recipe I found to be so simple as the entire recipe (from prep to plate) took so much less time than regular brownies. By mistake, I left out the coconut oil, and it was still so moist. I put the chips on top, but honestly, I didn’t need them. Next time I will see if the extra 2TBSP of sweetener is really necessary as I found the brownies plenty sweet. And dare I say downright good for you too.

11. Afi says

Made this recipe a couple of times. Roomies ate them all and asked for more. Also baked it for my family, they couldn’t believe there were beans in it. It so simple and delicious… I just love it!

Replaced sweetener with date paste. Texture and taste came out absolutely yummm.

Thanks for this.
    Love from Belgium 😘

12. Bee says

Hi! I’ve had SO many chocolate cravings, and also have a surplus of beans in the cupboard, so this recipe really intrigued me! Took a break from my “work from home” day to make them. They’re in the oven now – can’t wait to see how they turned out! 😀

Love, from Baltimore

13. Melissa says

Wow, I’ve never would have thought of making brownies using black beans. I’ve tried making brownies using mashed bananas. They turned out pretty goey and yummy. I’ll try out your recipe for my next brownie creation. Thanks for sharing!

14. Kimberly Larkin says

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    My friend Lauren had me try hers and I was hooked! Made my very own batch today! PHENOMENAL!!!! I can’t WAIT to put these over on my nephews 9,7, 5yr.- and afterwards tell them they ate VEGETABLES!!! These are a MUST try and so quick and easy!!!!

15. Kay says

These are amazing Katie. Thank you so much for sharing. But if I want to make them thicker. can I bake them in a smaller pan and for how long? Also is there a substitute for agave, honey & maple syrup? Regular sugar would work or not?

• Jason Sanford says

Hi! To make them thicker, I’d just double the recipe and cook in the same size pan for longer. You can definitely try sugar and we don’t see why it wouldn’t work, although we haven’t tried so can’t say for sure. Be sure to report back if you try!
      Jason (media relations)

16. Kayla says

These are AMAZING! I love them so much more than normal brownies, when I become a soccer mom I’m totally making these for my kids. I did not add in any of the chocolate chips, but did blend in a quarter cup of semi sweet into the mixture.

17. Suze says

Could you substitute other kinds of beans – kidney, pinto, etc? Is there a reason this recipe uses black beans in particular and not just any kind of bean? Thanks in advance!

• Baylee says

Currently impatiently waiting for them to cook- the batter was great! I boiled my own black beans with cinnamon and vanilla and ended up adding a mix of white chocolate chips and regular chocolate chips. We’ll see what everyone thinks!

18. Alissa says

Excellent recipe. I used rolled oats and canola oil in a vitamix blender, with a splash of milk so it would blend easier. The beans I used were not canned but boiled black beans.

19. Kallita Phipps says

This recipe is AMAZING! Absolutely delicious! I used a vitamix blender and added slightly more oil to the mixture to keep the mixture more fluid and moist! 😀

20. JHenderson says

Really great brownies. Easy to make, very tasty. Agree with adding extra chips on top of batter before baking.

21. Nora says

I’ve made these so many times and they’re phenomenal. I increased it to 3 TBS of cocoa powder and I regularly use 3/4 cup of dates as a sweetener (along with half a cup of water). Coconut butter also works instead of oil and gives it a wonderful aroma.

22. Shaina says

Tried this with the addition of 1/4 tsp chili powder and 1 tsp coffee powder to enhance the chocolate flavor and WOW cannot believe how amazing these brownies taste! Fantastic recipe, I look forward to trying more variations after reading some of the comments here 🙂