Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Black Bean Brownies – No Flour Required!

Black Bean Brownies – the ultra fudgy and decadent chocolate treat.

The famous chocolate fudge black bean brownies recipe from @choccoveredkt... (500k + repins) https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

pin-it

Edit: Thank you to everyone who has been asking…

After more than a year in the works, my NEW cookbook is finally available!

Based on your feedback, every single recipe in the book comes with complete nutrition facts including calories, total fat, carbohydrates, protein, and Weight Watchers points.

Above – Watch how to make black bean brownies.

pin-it

I know what you’re thinking.

“Why would I want to eat a healthy brownie when I could be eating a deep, dark, rich, fudgy, and chocolatey brownie instead?”

But what if the deep, dark, rich, chocolate brownie is the healthy brownie?

No, not in a dream world. These black bean brownies are healthy brownies that DO NOT taste healthy, and I can say that with assurance, as they’ve been tested on three different groups of people used to “normal” desserts.

For the ultimate test, my roommate brought two pans of the vegan black bean brownies into work and set them down on the table without revealing the secret or saying they were healthy.

She came home with no brownies left… but with five requests for the healthy black bean brownie recipe!

You May Also Like: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

black bean brownies

pin-it

Easy Black Bean Brownies

I know some of you have been disappointed by mediocre bean-based brownies you’ve tried in the past, which is why it’s taken me so long to come up with my own recipe:

I’ve tried some awful black bean brownie recipes in the past, too. For example? Don’t think you’ll get brownies by adding cocoa powder to my Chickpea Cookie Dough Dip and baking it.

Trust me. You’ll get cardboard.

I wanted a recipe that would not let people down; a recipe that could stand up to a regular sugar-and-flour brownie in a competition.

And these really do!

The Best Black Bean Brownies Recipe

Also, huge thanks to everyone who’s been sharing these on Instagram!

If you try the brownies, be sure to rate the recipe here, or tag @ChocolateCoveredKatie on Instagram so I can see and like your pictures!

pin-it

Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Black Bean Brownies

These super healthy black bean brownies are the ultra fudgy and decadent chocolate treat.
4.93/5 (1,492)
Total Time 15 minutes
Yield 9 - 12 brownies

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder (10g)
  • 1/2 cup quick oats 40g (See nutrition link below for substitutions)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave (75g)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 2 tbsp sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup)
  • 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil 40g (See nutrition link for substitution notes)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (115-140g) (Not optional. Omit at your own risk)
  • optional: more chips, for presentation

Instructions

• Black Bean Brownies Recipe: Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well. (A blender can work if you absolutely must, but the texture—and even the taste—will be much better in a food processor. I use this food processor.) Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8x8 pan. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top. Cook the black bean brownies 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. If they still look a bit undercooked, you can place them in the fridge overnight and they will magically firm up! Makes 9-12 brownies. If you make this recipe, don't forget to leave a review! The trick with these: serve them first, and then reveal the secret ingredient. In all the times I’ve served bean desserts, not one single person who didn’t know beforehand has ever guessed!
    View Black Bean Brownies Nutrition Facts

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

3308 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Mike says

These are incredible. I cooked them in a pressure cooker for 32 minutes and they were better that gourmet flourless cake.

2. New England Flybaby says

These brownies are TERRIFIC!! Has anyone used a microwave to make them?

I did make them once in our (regular) old oven, and they came out great, but we have since replaced that oven, (unfortunately) and baking in the new one is a total nightmare; it is just not consistent. Even after it was supposedly “fixed”, it is very unpredictable…

Any hints on using a microwave for these? BTW, our microwave is about 900 watts, as far as we can figure. THANKS for your help!!

• Jeanette says

So I did some math based on other recipes made in the oven and the wattage you stated in your comment. I would microwave them for 8 to 10 minutes, then check them. If they are not done, microwave for no more than 2 minute increments after that until cooked through. I recommend covering the top of your baking dish with plastic wrap or parchment paper leaving a small gap for air to flow out after the initial 8 to 10 minutes to prevent the brownies from over drying. Good luck and have fun!!

3. Kris says

These were really awesome. Fudgy, easy to make and just the right amount of sweet to satisfy my chocolate craving. I added extra maple syrup instead of sugar and also replaced the oil with unsweetened apple sauce. Will definitely make again!

4. Plumeria says

This is my 1st time baking from your site and it will not be my last! These are sooo decadent and oh-so-fudgy ;P It has been challenging finding the right gluten free brownie recipe. Happy to say my search is over! Thank you Katie!!!

5. Sophie S says

This brownies come out amazing! No one guessed that there were beans in it. Thanks you, this will be a constant repeat. Also, looking fwd to trying the other bean recipes.

6. A says

The only reason I believed there were black beans in this is because I made them. I cooked them for 16 minutes and they were a little mushy but delicious. Seriously, they are slap your momma good.

7. A. Williams says

I am so excited to make these but I don’t have quick oats. I only have steel cut. Do you think If I blend them first (like into an oat flour) it would work?

• Laura says

I used steel cut and opted for the extra maple syrup instead of the stevia in order to incorporate a bit more moisture and they turned out wonderfully 🙂 I cooked them for the full 18 mins!

8. Sandy Lee says

These were so so good! I’m trying to hide some healthy stuff in baked goods and other recipes for my picky toddler. He loves these. (And he doesn’t know he is getting an extra boost of protein….among other things. )

Will definitely make again.

9. Eleanora says

These Black Bean Brownies are the most unbelievably delicious treat ever. So versitile and simple to make that I don’t know what I did before I found them. I found any bean seems to work fine. I love chocolate so when a craving comes it is without hesitation that I make these brownies. Thanks Katie keep up the good work

10. Leala says

I tried these with coconut flour as we’re grain free (even oats). I wouldn’t recommend this. Instead, if you can’t do oats or nut flour, I found that these didn’t even need it! They were perfectly fudgy and chocolately without! But they do need to chill in the fridge for an hour to help stay together!

11. Kathleen erikson says

Hello! I just made your black bean brownies. They were delicious and fudgy! I have saved tons of your recipes. I love how your recipes are simple and use common, easy to find ingredients. I bought one of your cookbooks but I was wondering if you have a cookbook with lots of main dishes. I’m new to plant based cooking and I need a lot of help. Thank you

• Jason Sanford says

Thank you so much for getting the book! We wish there were a book of main meals – it’s Katie’s goal, but unfortunately publishers are only interested in another dessert book and so we haven’t had any luck getting one published yet. Hopefully someday!
      Jason (media relations)

12. Heather says

Delicious and satisfying, but where did you get the WW smart points value from? No matter how I try, they are coming out at 8 points each, even at twelve servings. Disappointing because now I’ve got something super tempting calling my name in the fridge. 🙁

• Jason Sanford says

Hi! It looks like this recipe was published back in 2012 and is going by the Points Plus system, so I think that’s why?

13. Laura says

I made this recipe with steel cut oats (I didn’t have quick oats) and used extra maple syrup instead of the stevia and it turned out wonderfully. 🙂 I’m sure mine may have had a bit more texture than the original but it was still super yummy. 😋
    Thank you!

14. Darlene says

Will decreasing the amount of honey/syrup do anything to the brownies other than make it less sweet?

• Lolly J says

I omitted the salt and come to think of it, I omitted the stevia also, didn’t add anymore maple syrup, so I decreased the maple syrup. I forgot to add that to my review. It didn’t do anything to the brownies and it was sweet enough. The brownies were delicious.

15. Lolly J says

I just made these brownies. This is better than the box brownies. I was really shocked at how good they are. The only thing I omitted was the salt. I sent my family and friends a link to this recipe. I am looking forward to trying more of your recipes. Thank you so much for sharing.

16. BabyPotato says

I have made these brownies before and they are great! This time I wanted to change some things. I put vegan chocolate protein powder(ghost brand-chocolate cereal milk) instead of the oats. I also used some unsweetened applesauce(about 1/4cup) and used no oil. They still turned out good and now have some more protein and less fat. Thank you for this amazing recipe!!

17. Natacha says

Every bit as amazing as advertised. My husband was wanting a fudgy brownie, but didn’t want it to taste “healthy.” I didn’t tell him the secret ingredient…he loved them! Instead of cocoa powder, I added an off-the-shelf blend of cocoa & espresso baking powder for a deeper chocolate flavor, and they are delicious! Definitely making these again, and again…thank you, Katie, for this fantastic go-to recipe!

18. Jen says

Hi. My 2 year old and I just made the brownie batter. She loved the batter so much she couldnt stop eating it. Everyone was so suprised that there are black beans in it. I absolutely can’t stand beans but i don’t even taste them. My question is if you had any ideas how to make this in a chocolate pudding ?

19. Monica says

Great recipe! I added a tsp of cinnamon, only 1/4 cup maple syrup, and no other sweetener. I only had about 13oz brownies, and it turned out fine. So good! Very chocolatey.

20. Erin says

These are AMAZING! I have always been worried that baking with beans would taste well…gross. but these are delicious!! Even my picky husband enjoyed them! Going to take them to work and see if anyone notices that they are different 🙂 Thanks for a great recipe!

21. Peyton Komer says

These are seriously the best brownies I have ever made. And I have made a LOT of brownies, both healthy and not even the slightest bit healthy. These take the crown!! They are so fudgy!! I was a little hesitant to try these because I have tried other black bean brownies in the past and they tasted like cardboard. These were the opposite!! My only suggestion would be to double the recipe because these are quite thin, but overall these are amazing like all of Katie’s recipes!! Thanks for another great dessert, Katie!