Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Sugar Free Powdered Sugar

How to make sugar free powdered sugar, which works for any recipe that calls for regular powdered sugar. It’s SO easy!

Sugar Free Powdered Sugar Recipe

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow…

Is it snowing where you are?

As usual, Dallas weather doesn’t know what it wants to do. So it vacillates from 25 to 75 and back again.

Shorts one day, fleece pants the next. Always on our toes.

No snow here yet, but I do have white powder of a different sort: sugar-free powdered sugar. (Oxymoron?)

Every Christmas for as long as I can remember, my mom has made multiple batches of pixie cookies (the little chocolate crinkle cookies, dusted with powdered sugar).

Last month I decided it was time to try creating a healthier, vegan version of those crowd-friendly chocolate pixies. In my quest to “healthify” the recipe, I landed on an about.com article describing how to turn Splenda into powdered sugar.

This got me to thinking, “If you can do it with Splenda, why not with other sweeteners?”

So I tried it, first with Sucanat and then with Xylitol.

Both times, it worked!

vegan powdered sugar

Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Sugar Free Powdered Sugar

How to make keto and sugar free powdered sugar the easy way at home.
5/5 (14)
Total Time 5 minutes
Yield 1 recipe

Ingredients

• 1 cup granulated sweetener of choice, such as coconut sugar or erythritol
  • optional 1-2 tsp arrowroot or cornstarch, to prevent clumping when stored

Instructions

• Blend all ingredients in a blender. It’ll smoke a little, but that’s okay. You should have powdered sugar in a matter of seconds! Store in a covered container in the pantry, just as you’d store regular powdered sugar.
    Healthy Glaze Icing:
    Combine 1 cup of the above powdered sugar with 1 1/2 tbsp milk of choice and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract. Use in place of regular powdered sugar icing, on cookies or cupcakes, etc.
    The Best Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal Recipe

Notes

The recipe is sugar-free if you use xylitol or erythritol, but the technique works with regular sugar too, or evaporated cane juice, sucanat, coconut sugar, or even brown sugar. So if you find yourself in the middle of baking something and you run out of powdered sugar, just make your own!

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

And now I’m going to return to eating my chocolate pixie cookies. Hope you all have a lovely day!

5/5 (14)

Published on January 22, 2012

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

284 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Brooke says

Hi katie! Love reading your blog and can safely say i have eaten (and loved!) almost all of your recipes! Shame on me that this is my first time leaving a comment! I would love to see granola bars
    and am always looking for new ways to make them!
    Hope all is well! Brooke

2. beccky says

ive been looking for a sugar-free method for this for a while. i really want to sugarproof frosting without compromising on texture.

love your posts, as always!

Beccky

3. Christina says

This is such a great idea! I am excited to use this to make sugar free frostings and so much more. I recently stumbled across your blog and your given me hope that I can incorporate delicious desserts into a healthy diet (when fruit just won’t cut it) without sacrificing nutrition. I am loving it, thanks!!

And I vote for granola bars, if you can healthify granola you will be a total food goddess 🙂

4. Sondra says

This post would’ve been amazing before the holiday season. I still remember the tireless hours online trying to find a sugar free royal icing recipe for our family’s gingerbread house to no avail. I finally gave in and used real sugar and declared it “decoration only.” (I try my best to keep my 15 month old girls from too much sweet stuff so they won’t develop mommy’s horrendous cravings for desserts, kind of difficult though when all you want to bake is cookies, cakes, and quickbreads, lol.) And granola bars please!

5. Susie says

Powdered sugar has never looked so cute!

I’d love to see a granola bar recipe… especially one I can make in large quantities to send with Mr. Susie for his work snacks 😀

6. Jennifer says

granola bars! My sister tried making them a few weeks ago because her boyfriend doesn’t eat “baked goods” (i.e., cookies, cakes, bread…). Well, the granola bars she made were more like granola crumbles. I think we need Katie to come to the rescue!

7. Paula says

Xylitol? Gosh I guess it’s ok — I was in a vegan restaurant a few weeks ago and ordered the cappuccino at the end and it was sweet. I asked what they put in it and they said xylitol. I was shocked, thinking it wasn’t good … like mannitol in diabetic products which I think can give you diahrrea. I guess xylitol is becoming more common-place now?

8. Paula says

Xylitol? Gosh I guess it’s ok then — I was in an organic vegan restaurant a few weeks ago and ordered the cappuccino at the end and it was sweet. I asked what they put in it and they said xylitol. I was shocked, thinking it wasn’t good … like mannitol in diabetic products which I think can give you diahrrea. I guess xylitol is becoming more common-place now?

9. char @ char on a mission says

Coooooookies, please!! I’ve been craving cookies for the past 4 days and only have the time to make them today. So, more cookies would just be delightful! lol