Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Sugar Free Powdered Sugar

How to make sugar free powdered sugar, which works for any recipe that calls for regular powdered sugar. It’s SO easy!

Sugar Free Powdered Sugar Recipe

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow…

Is it snowing where you are?

As usual, Dallas weather doesn’t know what it wants to do. So it vacillates from 25 to 75 and back again.

Shorts one day, fleece pants the next. Always on our toes.

No snow here yet, but I do have white powder of a different sort: sugar-free powdered sugar. (Oxymoron?)

Every Christmas for as long as I can remember, my mom has made multiple batches of pixie cookies (the little chocolate crinkle cookies, dusted with powdered sugar).

Last month I decided it was time to try creating a healthier, vegan version of those crowd-friendly chocolate pixies. In my quest to “healthify” the recipe, I landed on an about.com article describing how to turn Splenda into powdered sugar.

This got me to thinking, “If you can do it with Splenda, why not with other sweeteners?”

So I tried it, first with Sucanat and then with Xylitol.

Both times, it worked!

vegan powdered sugar

Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Sugar Free Powdered Sugar

How to make keto and sugar free powdered sugar the easy way at home.
5/5 (14)
Total Time 5 minutes
Yield 1 recipe

Ingredients

• 1 cup granulated sweetener of choice, such as coconut sugar or erythritol
  • optional 1-2 tsp arrowroot or cornstarch, to prevent clumping when stored

Instructions

• Blend all ingredients in a blender. It’ll smoke a little, but that’s okay. You should have powdered sugar in a matter of seconds! Store in a covered container in the pantry, just as you’d store regular powdered sugar.
    Healthy Glaze Icing:
    Combine 1 cup of the above powdered sugar with 1 1/2 tbsp milk of choice and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract. Use in place of regular powdered sugar icing, on cookies or cupcakes, etc.
    The Best Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal Recipe

Notes

The recipe is sugar-free if you use xylitol or erythritol, but the technique works with regular sugar too, or evaporated cane juice, sucanat, coconut sugar, or even brown sugar. So if you find yourself in the middle of baking something and you run out of powdered sugar, just make your own!

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

And now I’m going to return to eating my chocolate pixie cookies. Hope you all have a lovely day!

5/5 (14)

Published on January 22, 2012

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

284 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
    • Jade C says

P.S – I do this with Coconut Sugar and it works great.
      P.P.S – Do YOU personally use Xylitol?? I’ve been avoiding it as I’ve heard it has a negative effect on the body :S.

• Melissa says

What negative effects? I’ve only read good things about Xylitol. It helps prevent cavities, etc. It’s got an interesting cooling effect in your mouth when eaten, so I’d probably mix it with another sweetener like Stevia to cut that back a bit.

The only negative I’ve heard is it’s very toxic to dogs. But so is chocolate!

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

And raisins! Poor dogs ;).

Jade: I don’t honestly know much about xylitol. I picked it up out of curiosity, because I know a lot of my readers appreciate sugar-free options in my recipes… so I thought I’d play around with it a little to experiment. But really, I haven’t used it for much besides this yet.

• Trish says

It can, and will, in some people, those who are sensitive to it. But this isn’t necessarily the case for everyone. I also have a VERY sensitive stomach and GI track, but I’ve never, ever had an issue with xylitol. I love it. I bake cakes with it (although I’ll usually combine it with raw cane sugar or something else natural like coconut palm, even honey…) and use it for other things.
            I’m happy to see this ‘recipe’ for the powdered sugar. 🙂 A local store here sells it also, but it contains erythritol and tastes awful. Waaaayyyy too sweet and has that distinct ‘sugar alcohol’ taste to is whereas xylitol alone tastes more like granulated sugar, just not as rich.

• Jade C says

Thank you everyone for your replies before!! I decided last .inth to give Xylitol a go, and am seemingly fine with it :). We only have one brand here, XyloBrit – anyone else recommend another brand, I’ll look online!! Also, does anyone else in the UK have advice for which online health store to buy from?? I’ve been using iHerb as love their range, but shipping is soooo expensive!! Have checked out Goodness Direct already, but am not really impressed by what they have to offer.. Advice would be really appreciated!! 😀
            Jade C

• Jacque Foster says

I am addicted to “Xylitol Plus” which is half Xylitol, half Stevia. Alone, Stevia is too sweet for me; Xylitol is too bitter. Brilliantly, this company combined the two, and for every one of Katie’s recipes where she calls for a packet of Stevia, I sub in a packet of Xylitol Plus. The brand is NOW. I buy it at Whole Foods or a local health food store, but I know it’s available online. I drink a packet a day, at least, in my cup of hot tea. No GI issues for me. (I think that may happen when someone has made a batch of something, like cookies, and since they think of as “fat free” they eat the entire batch. And then they want to blame the ingredients for their stomach upset! ha!

• RE says

I’m interested in what you describe… But I’m so against using anything not 100% natural esp if my son (toddler) will be eating it!!

For now I’m learning to bake with all coconut sugar and I’ve also gotten sugar made from dates and maple syrup too.

Definitely against Splenda!

• Katie says

Xylitol Is fatal for dogs. More so than chocolate. Xylitol poisoning in dogs has been on the increase since 2002. So dog owners should be highly aware

1. Cathy says

granola bars- with no coconut, golden syrup, molasses or treacle..maple syrup possibly.

i’m so picky but they have to be just right! xx

never used or really heart of suncanat, im in england that’s prob. why!

2. Malia says

Granola bars! YUM! Would it be possible to do it sugar free like with stevia, maple syrup, honey or molasses? Cuz I don’t eat any sugar, not even sucanat:)

3. Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather says

So cool! I’ve seen this done with sucanat, now there are more options! And I vote for granola bars 🙂

4. Katie @ Nutrition in a peanut shell says

Oh Katie granola bars please! I tried to make some today but they just crumbled and turned into granola :C

5. Nathalie says

Granola bars sound intriguing! So that’s what Imma vote for ^_^

Question for ya, Katie: Have you ever posted a recipe for a vegan pie crust? I don’t recall you doing so but I thought I should ask. And if you haven’t, I humbly request you put your vegan genius to the task. I had a “pudding and a movie” night this weekend; I served your banana bread and your cookie pie, both well-received. But we’re gonna do it again next weekend, and I want to do your fudge pie. The problem is that there are NO prepared pie crusts to be had in Japan, as far as I know D=

If you don’t have a recipe but know another way to get around it (besides crustless, I think my guests need some kind of crust-y element), lemme know! Thanks for all the awesome recipes, as always!

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

I know there are some good pie crust recipes out there! The only ones I have would be to do something like use my Cashew Cookie Baby recipe (or PB Cookie Dough Cookies) crumbled up and pressed into a pie pan as a crust.

• Nathalie says

Katie – that’s an idea. or I wonder if I could make a really thin “boatmeal” crust perhaps….

Alan – Thanks for the link! Sadly, though, graham crackers are yet another thing that aren’t to be found except in specialty foreign and import shops . I wonder if I could use Japanese rice crackers for a crust, haha.

6. STUFT Mama says

Oh my word, I’ve been wondering if something like this would work. Yay! Can I try it with Splenda? That’s all I have. I’m assuming I would use the granulated one that measures cup by cup as sugar. Love it Katie!

7. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga says

Cool idea!

Funny when you said your Vitamix smoked a little. One of the very first times I ever used my Vitamix, I was making raw vegan brownies and the batter was so thick and dense, my Vita started smoking and overheated.

8. Pure2raw twins says

we have made our own powder sugar before in the past, but never thought about using it with other sugars! thanks for the idea

xoxo

9. Meggan says

I’ve never had luck with this method:( I’ve tried it before, but I guess my blender isn’t fancy enough. The sucanat just stuck to the sides of the blender and I got a tiny bit of powder, but mostly just the same sucanat I put into it…

• Angela says

I have the same problem with my food processor using raw sugar. The only powder I get is stuck to the processor parts. Are there any ideas on how to get it to work better?

10. Amber K says

Cookies are my absolutely favorite dessert, so of course I have to go with those.

And I hate buying powdered sugar, so I always make it myself. I agree it doesn’t even really feel like a “recipe,” but it’s definitely something more people need to know!

11. Melissa says

Hmmm… that gives me an idea – using the xylitol version for lemon coolers! Xylitol already has a cooling feel in your mouth when you eat it, so it would be perfect for lemon coolers. 🙂 Now, if I just had a recipe for the “cookie” part of the lemon coolers…… I guess my vote is cookies!!!!

12. Kit-Kat says

Here in Washington State, we had a state of emergency issued out because we had so much snow. We were snowed in for the whole week, and it is only NOW starting to melt. Let’s just say me and my siblings built a lot of snowmen! 🙂 I love snow, but after a while, I get stir crazy. Plus, you can’t play in the snow when you lose power, because when you come inside from the cold, you can’t get warmed up again. Oh well. Thankfully we were fortunate to only lose power for a little bit, but many (like my grandparents in Pualup, a little further than Seattle,) were out for a few days from the snow-laden trees that fell, and from freezing rain.
    Yum! I love powdered suger, especially on french toast. I’ll admit I used to (and sometimes stil do) mix powdered sugar with cocoa powder,add a drop or two of soymilk and a few tablespoons of water, stir, and eat (it’s like icing!) 🙂
    I vote for cookie-like bars, so we can get the best of both worlds. I have a great idea! Why not make a version of the Kid Clif “Z” bars, like Chocolate Chip or Brownie? I think that would go over VERY well! 😉

• Trish says

YES! I second the Z Bar Brownie suggestion… I am addicted to those! It would be nice to have a home-made alternative 🙂

• Kit-Kat says

I love how they are so sweet…. when in reality, they’re totally healthy! I even saw they made a new oatmeal cookie flavor, too! 🙂

13. Amy says

I guess I am confused at how using Sucanat can make this sugar-free powdered sugar because Sucanat is a minimally refined form of cane sugar (in other words, it’s sugar). Do you know something I don’t? 🙂