Better than Peanut Butter?

Yes, the following is better than peanut butter.

I know, you’re all rolling your eyes right now, saying, “How can anything (besides chocolate) be better than peanut butter?” Hear me out; this spread has the one-up on regular pb because it:

• is easier to spread
  • is lower in calories (more about this at the end of the post)
  • tastes sweeter, without any added sugar, and has a serving of fruit

Above, spread on top of Banana Bread for One.

Another bonus: This recipe doesn’t make as much of a mess as trying to smush sliced banana into a sandwich. As usual, the recipe is so simple that I feel a little silly writing it down.

Banana Butter

• 1 medium banana
  • 2 to 4 tablespoons peanut butter, depending on how pb-y you like it (or almond, cashew, walnut butter, etc.)
  • optional: I like to add a little cinnamon

My favorite ratio is 4 tablespoons peanut butter to 80 grams (without peel) banana (about 1/2 a large banana). And I often use a frozen banana, which makes this spread taste like peanut butter ice cream!

Procedure: Whir the two ingredients in your food processor or blender until smooth.  Leftovers can be stored in the fridge.  (If possible, it’s best to let the mixture sit for a few hours before enjoying, as the taste becomes more robust with time.)

Above, spread over a Breakfast Pizza Cake.

Other Ideas for Use:

This creation can be used anywhere you’d use regular peanut butter—warmed up and drizzled over oatmeal, as a sandwich spread, dip, or pudding, as a smooth-and-velvety topping for waffles or pancakes, on vegan ice cream, or simply eaten plain off a spoon (or out of the blender, depending on your level of self-restraint!).

As for calories… Ok, so I’m having a bit of a dilemma: Recently I’ve been getting quite a few requests from readers asking if I can add calorie counts to my recipes. I don’t count calories, but I know that a lot of you (readers and fellow bloggers) do count. So, since I really try hard to make my recipes—and my blog in general—suitable for everyone, and since it’s not hard for me to figure out the calorie counts anyway, I thought I’d ask: Do you want me to add calorie info to my recipes? Please vote; either way, I’m interested in hearing your opinion. And until I figure this dilemma out, here are the nutritional stats for the banana butter:

Banana Butter Calories:

Serving Size: 1 tablespoon (based on my favorite combination)
Calories per serving: about 40 calories
(As a reference, regular peanut butter has about 100 calories per tablespoon.)

Variations:

Yes, there is a chocolate version.

🙂

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Maria says:

I say no to the calories because this is your blog, and you don’t count calories anyways. If the reader wants the calorie count he(?)/she can calculate it–less work for you 😉 You are so sweet to consider all your readers though, Katie. We really appreciate it!!!

Hmm, I’ve got to figure out a way to ship some chocolate mousse to you…5000 entries is a lot ya know 😉 But it seems as though you’ll be having plenty of chocolatey goodness on your birthday, but you can never have too much, no?

Brilliant Banana Butter by (whoa look at that alliteration) the way! Sounds AMAZING!!!

2. Meg says:

Calories schmalories…if it tastes good, is nutritious, and satisfies hunger, why bother? I feel like calories really take the joy out of eating. You know?

Anyways…I.MUST.MAKE.THIS.ASAP.

You’re a culinary Queen, Katie!

I think it’d be great as a topper for your banana brulee oatmeal, which I love, by the way 😉

Love ya!
    Meg

3. Alison says:

Looks smooth and tasty. If only I liked bananas…

4. Teresa says:

My vote is NO TO CALORIE counts. I don’t think you should have to figure out nutritional facts for other people, especially since they can figure it out on their own. One reason I love your blog (and there are many) is because you don’t harp on calories, weight loss, body image…. In such a diet obsessed world, your blog is truly a breath of fresh air. No need to change- keep it real girl!

5. Jessica says:

Anonymous,

You obviously don’t read CCV’s blog, do you? Just take a look at her Morning Routine post that she just did, which was brilliant, and you’ll see that she doesn’t shy away from the healthy fats or carbs:

So stop attacking someone and assuming they don’t eat healthily, especially under the cowardly cloak of anonymity. Those of us who follow CCV’s blog regularly can see that she eats what’s probably the healthiest diet out there.

6. Shelby says:

FABULOUS IDEA!!!

7. Julie says:

What ? NOTHING is better than peanut butter ! 😉 But as I do love banana, that spread must be as best as my favourite breakfast mixture !

8. Julie says:

I think putting calories account are very silly. Food should be a pleasure not a torture !!! Unfortunately, more and more people are attracted to lose weight because of the media.

9. Jules says:

I vote no for the calories, because they really don’t matter that much. Who cares about calories as long as the food is healthy and delicious? You should do what YOU want to do, and people can figure out the calories by themselves if they really want to. And that peanut butter and banana spread sounds delicious, I really want to try it as ice cream 🙂 And that anonymous person doesn’t sound very nice, I don’t think you should listen to them, especially since you already addressed the issue they brought up in a different post. You eat foods because they’re healthy, not because you have to get a certain number of calories. You already know what works for you, and that person is just being inconsiderate and rude.

10. randomlymikey says:

yay! i will have to try this 🙂 when i did count calories it really wasn’t that hard to figure out the calories for a recipe so i think that your readers should be able to do that themselves.
    mikey

11. Cassie says:

No to the calorie counts! I was an obsessive calorie-counter for a long time and I think it is an unhealthy road to travel down. Just listen to your body (speaking to myself too lol)! btw, i love banana butter. Usually I don’t even use the blender and just mash the banana up w/ a fork and mix it with heated pb (microwave). It’s really good if you scoop some of the excess bread from a bagel and use it as a filling…mmm!!!

12. ttfn300 says:

oh, now that might have put those brownie batter cupcakes i made this morning off the hook! 🙂 i’m glad you’ve ix-nayed the calories!

13. Christina says:

I don’t think you should add calories either. If someone needs them, it’s not hard to calculate them herself! I used to do that all the time.

And banana butter is a genius idea! So simple but so good. I’ll be trying it asap!

14. lola says:

yay!!!! this recipe sounds delicious, it’s just my kind of recipe!!!
    but i don’t know if i could make it in a regular blender, id make such a mess because it’s a very small quantity and the blender is so big.

15. CaSaundra says:

Your mind is so busy coming up with these stunning recipes, I don’t think you should assert mental energy to cals–so you can just keep the recipes comin’ please–ha!

16. Meredith says:

Oh my goodness! This is great! I can’t wait to try it!

17. Kiersten says:

Banana butter would not be safe around me. I could polish off a whole bunch of that in minutes, lol.

I am glad you’re not changing anything just to appease a few readers. Your blog is great the way it is. That’s why you have so many loyal readers!

If someone wants to count their calories so bad they can just use a calorie counting website.

18. balancejoyanddelicias says:

i personally don’t think it’s necessary to add calorie for your recipes. And don’t do it to please your readers. Do what you think it’s good for you! 🙂
    love this banana-PB combo.. sounds delicious~~~

19. Jess says:

No need to add calorie counts to things! Life is wayyyy more about the amount of calories in that delicious sounding PB. Shouldn’t it be about the taste? And isn’t on able to have good nutrition and not have to rely on counting cals?! Yes and yes! Don’t posts the amounts, way too tedious. No need to change your blog for one (?) person 🙂
    <3 jess
    xoxo

20. Lori says:

That looks so good. I’ll be making it for sure. Another one my kids will go nuts for!
    I am glad you are doing what you want to do on your blog! I actually like to see calorie counts but in no way need to. If I want I can figure it out on my own. And I think looking at the ingredients is much more important than the calories. Keep doing what you are doing and have fun with it. It seems lots of people love your blog the way it is!