Make. These. Now.

They’re raw.
They’re sinful sinless.
They’re delicious and totally addictive. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

RAW CHOCOLATE FUDGE BALLS  One of the most popular recipes from @choccoveredkt, with over 9,000 repins and 3,000 facebook likes! These are the original chocolate fudge balls - no added sugar, no baking required, and they taste like pure chocolate bliss! Full recipe here:  http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/10/13/make-these-now/

I love recreating dessert recipes.

But that’s no secret if you’ve read my page: About Chocolate-Covered Katie

A few weeks ago, after discovering they’re discontinuing one of my favorite energy bars (Clif Nectar) , I set out to try and recreate said chocolate bars.  With only five ingredients, it couldn’t be too difficult, could it? Well, as it turned out, the results didn’t taste like the packaged bars… mine tasted better!

Don’t let the diminutive size fool you; these babies are jam-packed with fudgey deliciousness.  More chocolatey than Clif Nectar bars, more chocolatey than Larabar Jocalats… it’s like popping balls of pure chocolate bliss straight into your mouth.  They’re so rich and decadent that even a tiny taste is enough to satisfy a skyscraper-sized chocolate craving.

But fudge babies are so healthy you don’t have to stop after a tiny taste. It’s hard to believe something so good for you—with zero added sugars and unnatural ingredients—can taste so sinful. (They also happen to be quite a bit less expensive than Jocalats, Nectars, and many other such chocolate bars.)

Chocolate Fudge Babies

Original Fudge Babies

(paleo fudge balls)

• 1 cup walnuts (120 g)
  • 1 and 1/3 cups pitted dates (220 g) (I often use SunMaid dates, which are super-soft.)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3-4 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
  • optional: 1/8 plus 1/16 tsp salt (I always add this)
  • optional: raw chocolate chips – recipe in the Chocolate-Covered Katie Cookbook

Blend all the ingredients, using a food processor, Magic Bullet, etc.  (No need to blend the dates first; I just blend everything all at once in a Cuisinart food processor, which works much better than a blender.) Roll into cutey-pie little balls.  (Use plastic wrap if you wish, or smush it all together in a plastic bag so it’ll stay together better.) Or, if you want true brownies, shape the dough into bars!

For a chocolate pie crust: press the dough down firmly into a pie pan.

Hot Cocoa Fudge Babies

I’ve been toying around with the original recipe.  Here is my newest-favorite variation: 30 grams cashews, 80 grams dates, 5 grams (1 tbsp) dark cocoa powder. Blend. (Add pure peppermint extract + cacao nibs if desired. Or leave out the cocoa powder, for a homemade cashew cookie Larabar!)
Let’s talk variations!

cookie bites

For a list of Fudge Baby Flavors, click the following: Homemade Larabars Recipes

Flavors include chocolate chip cookie dough, peanut butter, and even s’mores! Shown above are samoas girl scout cookie fudge babies.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Amanda says:

oh Katie! You did it! You made your own bar!! **high fives** I can’t wait to try these!

2. Michelle says:

All hail thee. I tried, and failed, to recreate Nectars a little while ago. I used Gherideli chocolate instead of coco powder… BIG mistake. They were so strong, you could literally only take about one tiny bite. No good. I am throwing them out tonight, and tomorrow, will use your version. Thanks 🙂

3. Emily says:

yes please to these fudge babies! definitely bookmarked this ccv creation! 🙂

4. gina (fitnessista) says:

hey girl,
    i MISSED YOU so! when i changed the bloggy, i added in google reader and put in your old address in there. i knew something was lacking in my life
    those fudge babies look heavenly! i’ll be making them very soon
    have a great night!

5. broccolihut says:

Holy fudgy heaven! I have visions of these nestled into my morning oats…

6. Devan Newman says:

ooh! i used to make these alll the time!!!
    they are SO good!!!!! and so addicting!

7. Anna says:

Yowza those look good! I love my Jocolat/Larabars, but they are pricy on a college budget. Such a fantastic and easy alternative

Love the blog and your culinary ideas!

8. J@WholeBodyLove says:

Oh, Katie these look insanely delicious!!! I may never bake brownies again!

9. Neela Marijana says:

once again thsi looks fabulous! and i love how you included some measurements for us europena folks that get damn confused with the whole cups and oz business

10. Justine says:

Thats exactly how I made my raw brownie pie!! Isnt it delish? I fed it to non health eating people and they had no idea it was raw or vegan or much healthier than a regular chocolate pie. They loved it!! I think I might make one for Thanksgiving 🙂

~Justine

11. Hani says:

I think I’d try them with a little cinnamon and maybe a pinch of chipotle chile powder added!

12. alexis says:

These look ridiculously delicious. I want to try the coffee ones, or with chocolate/carob chips in them!

13. The coconut variation sounds great 🙂 You can add coconut to anything and make it better!

14. *Andrea* says:

those look great!!! for a variation i might try adding cinnamon? not sure if they need any though, they look mighty delicious as is 😉

15. Angela K. says:

Those look delicious! I’d like to try ones with coffee and chocolate chips! They’d make a nice afternoon pick-me-up 😛

16. Alex says:

i think the coffee variation sounds delicious and energizing!

17. Amanda says:

I definitely want to try the Extreme Chocoholic Version.

18. Allison R. says:

MMMM def the coconut! 🙂

19. Jessica says:

OMGosh I would definitely need the chocaholic version!!!

20. Nicole says:

When i read your blog yesterday i wrote down your recipe. I plan on making the plain fudgy ones! Please enter my name in your give-a-way! Good luck everyone!!