A Free Trip to California

And I can’t even go! 🙁

About a month ago, I received a really cool email from the Pom Wonderful people, inviting me to visit their factory in California, all expenses paid. In my mind, my bags were packed and I was already there… Until I remembered school. Darn school. My mom kept saying, “Katie, talk to your professors. I’m sure you can do your homework in the hotel.” Yeah, but did I really want to go all the way out to Cali just to sit in a hotel and do homework? No so much. Someday, though, I am going to have to go to California. (I’ve been to California once before. But at that time in my life, the highlight of the trip was a visit to the Barbie Museum!) For now: if you can’t go to the Pom, bring Pom to you… in the form of an Alm-Pom sandwich, that is.

Rounding out my lunch, I also had a spinach salad and a cup of “Magic” Soup. Finally, it’s soup weather again! Not that I don’t eat soup in the summer…

pom

pom1

Above, my almond butter and pom sandwich. The seeds add a fun crunch to the sandwich. I adore Pom seeds and am so excited they’re back in stores!

Someone else is crazy for Pom juice:

NYC2010 479

If you could be anywhere right now, where would it be?

I would say California, but I hear they’re having crazy hot weather lately. Surprisingly enough, I might just have to stick with Texas… for now. Happy October, y’all! (Gotta love Texas; we get to say “y’all.”)

1. I’m the oppostie, actually. I LOVE the juice and can’t stand the seeds 😛
    If I could be anywhere right now I’d be wandering around Paris, or chilling on a boat in Norway, or shopping in England. Ahahaha, a girl can dream!

2. I’m amazed you were able to turn them down — but you need to do whats best for you!

The POM sandwich looks great and I agree with you about juice — I’m just not into juice at all, too sweet and the way it coats your teeth, blech. I like to USE juice in recipes or smoothies, but on its own, no thanks.

If I could be anywhere I’d be back at home still asleep!

3. eatandrun says:

I never thought to use pom seeds on a sandwich. I know what I’m having for lunch now!

4. Caitlin says:

Katie, that sandwich looks fantastic! I am always at a loss as to what to do with pom seeds, but I love the crunchy little guys. Have you ever tried them with chocolate? Maybe you could even melt some of your PMS chocolate, throw some pom seeds in, and make a pom chocolate bar! Mmmmmm :).

5. anonymous says:

was that the pom tour that fitnessista and caitlin from healthytippingpoint went on last year?

1. Yeah, the Pom Harvest Tour. I really wanted to go! 😕

Maybe next year… but I have to be lucky enough to be invited again!

6. Namaste Gurl says:

I wish you were coming to Cali, when I saw the title of this post, I was about to say “let’s meet up, yay!”. And you’re totally right, it’s SUPER vegan-friendly, which I enjoy. Especially where I live where most all produce is local and organic– Santa Cruz. I live in the place where Earthbound Farm Organic, Driscoll and many other berry and artichoke produce comes from 🙂 Love it.

Looks like one yummy sammie with the addition of pom seeds– Must try that!

1. I guess you’ll just have to come to Texas! LOL now how do I convince someone lucky enough to live in Cali to get on a plane and come to Tx… Hmmm…

1. Namaste Gurl says:

Katie, that’s definitely a hard question to ask a CA girl 🙂 Maybe someday though–or who knows, maybe for a blog meet-up or the next healthy living summit! 🙂

7. Valerie says:

I wish I were in Italy. It’s where I had my honeymoon, and we keep saying we’re going to go back. Of course, with little kids, it complicates things! 😉

8. Inspired says:

I’ll definitely be trying that sandwich. Love the close up! And yes, if you get a chance, you should definitely come to Cali! If you think New York is a vegan mecca…

9. VEGirl says:

I wanna go to Cali too!!! Can I use your trip??!!

1. I really wish you could! I thought about asking them if I could send my sister instead lol. (She couldn’t make it either, so I didn’t ask.)

10. Nichole says:

I didn’t know you could eat the Pom seeds!?!? I feel silly asking but I normally ate the flesh and spit the seeds, is that wrong??

1. LOL I’m the opposite: you can eat the flesh??? Definitely try eating the seeds :).

11. Marina says:

Wow, it’s amazing that you got invited. Maybe next time you’ll be able to go, I hope so.
    Gosh, I am so jealous at all the stuff cool smart (and U.S) blogers get.
    I’m praying for samples, any kind 😀

Right now, I would be in Zürich, with my boy :/ Only a month ’till he gets back to me, woo

12. abby says:

i love that last pic of you, katie. it’s so pretty :).
    and the sammie looks yummylicious too. i love pb sammies, and always am excited to try new combos.

love,
    abby who wishes she were in cali too!

13. Your Alm-Palm sandwich sounds awesome, I haven’t had pomegranate in a long time so I definitely need to get back on the wagon. I love how crunchy the little seeds are! If I could be anywhere right now, I’d be out in Kentucky climbing at the red river gorge. It’s absolutely gorgeous there!

14. Sarahishealthy says:

Alm Pom haha even the name is totally cute!
    I haven’t seen pomegranates here yet. Hopefully they’re coming soon!

15. Shelby says:

Love the idea for the Alm-Pom sandwich! I’ll have to keep an eye out for pom seeds!

I wouldn’t be anywhere but here, although I would love to bring my family down. It feels like I haven’t seen them in forever!

16. Faith says:

I would be in Italy. Hot men, hot food, killer sights and the home of incredible couture designers…where can you go wrong?

17. mckella says:

I’ve never had pom, but I love pomegranates.
    If I could be anywhere…I don’t know. A European cruise sounds nice.

18. Albizia says:

I love pomegranates. I have never eaten a pom sandwich but next time I buy a pomegranate, I will definitely give it a try.

Right now I want to be in New York. I have always wanted to see the city that never sleeps. But if I had to choose a place to go and stay, it would probably be Kyoto.

1. Ohmigosh Kyoto!! We got to go once. That place is so beautiful! If you ever do go, put me in your suitcase :).

19. You’re so responsible Katie! I would have totally ditched school for a free trip to Cali! POM once offered to send me some juice, and I turned them down because I couldn’t put the animal testing thing behind me….even though Peta has said they’ve stopping the testing. Then another POM person wrote me a few months later and I sent this long email about how I would give them a second chance, but I that I couldn’t believe they ever thought it was okay to test freakin’ pom juice on animals…and they never responded. I think they hate me now.

20. Dani says:

Oh that sucks that you can’t go! Also, California is VERY vegan-friendly. I’m not even vegan and one of my favorite restaurants to go to is Vegan Glory in West Hollywood. AMAZINGGGG vegetable stir fry, yummm!