Cupcake for One (It’s healthy!)

Above, a single lady with Reeses Pieces Chocolate Frosting.

Single Lady Cupcake

(makes a single serving cupcake)

• 3 tbsp flour (30g) (See directions for flour notes)
  • heaping 1/16th tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp applesauce, oil, pre-melted margarine (such as Earth Balance or Smart Balance Light), or a combination
  • 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp liquid (milk of choice or water)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • Sweetener (I hate giving specific amounts, since tastebuds are so different. For normal tastebuds, 1 to 1 and 1/2 tbsp of sugar, or 1 to 1 1/2 packets of stevia should be about right. If you use liquid sweetener, cut back a tiny bit on the other liquid.)

Directions: Preheat the oven to 330 degrees. Mix the ingredients and pour into an oiled (or sprayed) muffin pan. Smooth top of batter. Cook for 12-15ish minutes. Alternatively, you can cook in the microwave, in a greased mug or ramekin. (Microwave times will vary, depending on the flour you use and the strength of your microwave.

Notes on flour: If you use whole-wheat pastry or spelt flour for cupcakes, you’ll get a denser (more muffin-like) cake. Still delicious! White flour and Bob’s gluten-free also work. I wouldn’t recommend plain whole-wheat flour. (Also, be warned if you’ve never done fat-free baking: subbing all the oil in a recipe for applesauce will give you a gummier result. Once again, still delicious, but much denser than your traditional cupcake with oil.)

Nutrition Info:

• Calories: 110
  • Fat: 0.5 g
  • Protein: 4 g
  • Carbohydrates: 23 g
  • Fiber: 4 g
  • ww points (new system): 3

(Add 100 calories if you use the tbsp of oil as opposed to the applesauce version.)

Above, with cinnamon and my Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting.

So basically, the cupcake became a Cinnamon Roll Cupcake. I have many more ideas for future cupcakes. It’s really fun dealing with one at a time. They’re so quick to make that you can measure ingredients in separate bowls and add different mix-ins to each bowl. One chocolate-chip cupcake, one pumpkin, one carrot cake… you get the idea.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Hela says:

yummi!!
    i love running or any other workout to distract myself from negative thoughts. cooking or baking helsp too, but i always feel as if i am putting some of my negative thought INTO the food i am preparing, so i rather get rid of them and THEN cook or bake 🙂

1. Valerie says:

Have you ever seen the movie “Like Water for Chocolate”? Or I think there’s a Spanish translation… I haven’t seen it in a long time, but I think the concept is that whatever the girl is feeling ends up in her food. So if she’s feeling bitter, her food tastes bitter!

2. Sagojyou says:

Yum! Looks really good! And very cute! 😉 The frosting looks yu-mmy!
    I draw/listen to music/be on the internet/read to distract me from negative thoughts.
    Cupcake flavors I dream of? I don’t “dream” it, but I can give you ideas! Coconut, avocado, cotton candy, candy cane (oh that’d be so cool!), gingerbread man-flavor, orange, apple, grapes, and cheese(?!)! 😀 Pizza would be wee-ird!! XP

1. Cotton candy??? Oooooooo that’s one I never thought of. I bet it would be so fun and colorful! No idea how you could make it though.

3. Carbzilla says:

You are so cute!

There will lots of hot boys in your future. I have no doubt of that! 🙂

This cupcake has my name written allll over it!

4. sarah says:

cinnamon roll cupcake???? *swoons!*

and its single serving too? its like my dream come true!

5. Leslie says:

Wow, Katie, that cupcake looks so good! As do the pretty, heart decorated ones. You’re so talented! And I’ll definitely be making this recipe, as extra cupcakes around me are a dangerous thing ;).

6. Inspired says:

I love the idea of a single cupcake! Why did I not think of that? Truly, I am going into my kitchen as soon as I finish writing this to try out your recipe! It looks so easy :).

As for your question, I like Hela’s thought, above mine.

7. Jennifer - jcd says:

Oooh, single serve cupcakes are a perfect idea! Gone are the days of baking the full dozen and wondering what to do with the leftovers. Sure you can freeze them, but this recipe makes fresh cupcakes every time! Mmmm…. You’re genius, Katie!

The best distraction I use is cooking or baking. If that doesn’t work, I’ll go out for a run or walk. Watching a silly movie is usually my last resort.

Personalised cupcake flavours?? I like carrot cupcakes and lime cupcakes, both with coconut icing.

8. This is too cute! And making cupcakes one at a time means I can’t eat a whole tray full 😉 And I love the idea of personalizing cupcakes for people! So fun 🙂

9. Valerie says:

I’m going to have to change your recipe to “cupcakes for three” or we’ll have a big fight in my household ;). But I love the idea of personalized cupcakes. This is going to make me VERY popular with my kiddos, because they NEVER EVER agree on what they want! Thanks Katie! 🙂

10. Caitlin says:

I have really bad anxiety, but the more I socialize, the less I notice it. Talking to friends, going to parties, spending time with family, even writing, all help me feel calmer. For me, it’s not as much about distraction as it is connecting with others.

I love the single serving cupcake! It can be difficult to down 12 or 24 cupcakes all by myself.

1. What? You can’t eat 24 cupcakes by yourself before they go bad? What’s wrong with you? (Just kidding hehe ;))

Plus, eating 12 cupcakes of the exact same flavor gets pretty boring, right?

11. Shelby says:

LOVE this!!!! A single lady cupcake is something I’ve been searching for forever, because sometimes I just don’t want 6-12 in the house.

Perfection!

12. whatenergycreates says:

To distract my angry/sad/stressed self, I usually read vegan/feminist blogs, because they make me happy. Especially positive blogs, like yours or OhSheGlows.

As for my cupcake dreams, that Cookie Dough one sounds heavenly. I’d also love an Oreo cupcake or Pumpkin/Cream Cheese cupcake.

1. Aww wow, thank you so much for your SUPER-kind words. Your comment really made me smile… and crave oreo cupcakes!
      I had an amazing oreo cupcake from a vegan bakery in Austin, once (called Dhaba Joy). They had vegan soft-serve too! Unfortunately, I think they went out of business :(.

13. Lisa says:

Yum! Oh my gosh this looks heavenly, especially with the cheesecake mousse, which I’ve made before on your carrot cake cupcakes. I think, in fact, I’ll make a carrot cake single lady cupcake because it’s been a while since I’ve had that addictive cheesecake mousse :).
    I love the name too. So cute! You’re adorable, Katie. I love checking your blog every day. It really is a bright spot in this world of pessimism. 🙂

14. When I start thinking of negative thoughts I do my best to immediately counter them with positive ones — or I distract myself. I do something that I’m “good” at to make myself feel better: silly things like folding the laundry or doing the dishes. I can look at something I accomplished just then and it makes me feel a bit better 🙂

Definitely make the pumpkin choco chip muffin!!! Do it!

1. Well, if you insist…

*Runs off to kitchen* 🙂 🙂

15. eatandrun says:

Super gorgeous cupcake, girl! I like your thinking :).

16. Gloria says:

Oh you are truly amazing, Katie! I’m a single baker as well, and I always say my kitchen owns my heart 😉 We’re awesome!! Can’t wait to make this for dessert.

17. i started doing single-serving cupcakes, brownies, muffins a while ago–they are so great! keeps you from eating the entire pan!

1. Hey pretty lady! I’m sending you an email, so if–by tomorrow–you don’t get it, check your spam box (where a lot of my emails sadly tend to go!).

18. Anonymous says:

Cute! I like the appliques too. I am wondering though, why YOU wouldn’t put just a smidge of oil in them? Polyunsat are great! Just curious…..I notice lots of your recipes don’t include fats. They are so essential 🙂

1. Melissa says:

Really? I feel like most things she makes include nuts or nut butters! Lots of healthy fats. I actually have to lighten up her recipes since I’m not natural blessed with thinness. Heh.

I think the icing on this bad boy totally = healthy fats. 😉
      Maybe Katie is like a lot of us and doesn’t favor using oils – preferring to get fats from whole food sources? I’m just guessing here. Don’t quote me.

2. Hi anonymous,
      I actually wrote more about this here:

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know that I definitely agree that fats are great; I even did a whole “Hug a Fat” month!

19. Sorry Sports Store Hottie didn’t work out, but it was for good reasons. At least he wasnt a total jerk or anything like that 😛

I love that these cupcakes are for a single serving! That way there’s no dealing with leftovers when you just want one.

20. thedelicateplace says:

hey no i’m a biologist 😉 but maybe i can forgive you since you have that fab cupcake! i wonder if coconut flour would work as i’m gluten free. hmmmm of to experiment. i think i’d make a carrot cake one with fresh shredded and carrot and ginger mmm