Spooky Vegan Carrot Cake

hallocake2

To a recent Halloween party, I brought along a healthy (vegan!) carrot cake.

Complete with a thick layer of purple healthy frosting.

It’s my cupcake recipe, simply baked in cake form (recipe follows, below). And I made the little boy out of fondant. As usual, with my creations, the entire cake is edible. People were fighting over who got to eat the boy’s head. Really, people? The head? With all that carrot-cake goodness underneath?

Morbid.

hallocake

Healthy Carrot Cake

• 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or white, or others have said plain whole wheat works)
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrot (100g)
  • 1 teaspoon Ener-G egg replacer (for one egg) (or use a flax “egg”)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 and 2/3 containers applesauce (the 1/2-cup containers), or about 160 grams
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons liquid (water, nondairy milk, juice, etc.)
  • 1/2 cup sugar or 8-10 NuNaturals stevia packets if you like the taste of stevia-sweetened baked goods.)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • Optional add-ins: raisins, shredded coconut, walnuts, pineapple tidbits (If you add pineapple, you’ll probably want to decrease the applesauce or liquid a bit.)

Preheat the oven to 350F. Mix dry ingredients, then add the carrot and wet ingredients. Mix again, until just combined (it’s important to not overmix).

See the original muffin post for Calories and Nutrition Info.

Luckily, I procured a small slice for myself at the party… ’cause there weren’t any leftovers!

hallocake3

I frosted the cake with Healthy “Cream Cheese” Icing.
Question of the Day:
If you follow a special diet, how do you deal with parties?

Do you bring food to share? Do you bring food for just yourself? Or (if your diet’s self-imposed) do you break your diet for the party? Usually, I bring food to share! I try to take advantage of every single opportunity I get to show people that healthy, vegan food can be delicious!

Tags: , , , ,

1. That has to be one of the cutest cakes I have EVER seen!

2. Ilana says:

I usually eat before because I don’t know if there will be something there that I can eat – or depending on where I’m going I will try to bring something! Next weekend my boyfriend and I are going to a gala where neither of us will be able to eat the food (I’m vegan, and he keeps strict Kosher – sometimes I actually love the fact that he and I both have dietary limitations, we understand each other on that level), so we’re meeting before for dinner then heading out on the town.
    I used to be the “oh I’ll make an exception if it’s really good or if it’s a special occasion” person, but recently my mindset towards my diet has shifted – I’m a lot more devoted to maintaining a strictly vegan diet than I was even six months ago, I guess it’s the kind of evolution that comes along with making certain choices for yourself. It’s soooo interesting to track how my preferences change!

1. Haha I feel the same way! Like looking back on what I ate in childhood… I used to get stomachaches, and now I think back and go, “Well yeah, of course I got stomachaches! My diet included lots of ham sandwiches, cinnamon rolls, and iced tea with sweet-n-low!”

3. Kate says:

Please excuse me if I don’t answer the question of the day. I’m too mesmerized by that beautiful cake! :)

4. eatandrun says:

Love the cake! I bet it tasted delicious. I wouldn’t have wanted to eat the little boy, though.

5. Grace says:

GORGEOUS Katie, really pretty cake!
    I generally eat ahead of time and try to also bring 1 or 2 potluck items to share at parties so I have something to eat while others are eating.

6. (M.S.)^2 says:

Your cake is so cute! And it looks yummy too!
    When I go to a party, I usually eat beforehand or bring my own food. :)

7. Cecilia says:

Wow, you are so freaking talented at cake decorating! How did you get your icing so blue?

1. Wilton food coloring. My mom suggested that I leave the cake white because she said, “Otherwise, people will end up with purple tongues.”
      My answer: But who doesn’t want a purple tongue??!

8. I like to bring food to share, so I can enjoy dessert and show others that vegan desserts are awesome!

9. Christin L. says:

I love the color of that frosting! So vibrant!

10. Annette says:

That’s a really cute cake!!

I’ve just started reading your blog the last month, so if this topic has already been covered, please excuse me!
    I was just wondering if in addition to following a vegan diet you also follow a vegan “lifestyle” as far as clothes, household products, make-up etc? If you do, I think it would be interesting to hear about some of that stuff as well!

1. Hey Annette,
      I actually haven’t written anywhere near as much about that topic as I want! There are so many post topics I want to write, and that particular one has been on my list for a long time. I’m definitely working on writing a post for it.
      But for now, I’ll quickly tell you: I do try to live as “veganly” as possible, which means I try to only use household cleaners that are vegan (or at least not from companies that test on animals), make-up (I looooooove Urban Decay and just wish it weren’t so darn expensive!), shampoo (Desert Essence coconut!), non-leather belts and shoes, etc.

1. Annette says:

Well of course you use a coconut shampoo!! lol

And to answer your blog question – I bring desserts to family gatherings so that I will have something sweet to eat. At our last birthday party, I brought a lemon cake from Spiral Diner, and everyone ate it and didn’t even touch the cake from a regular bakery!
        Do you have any lemon cake/cupcake recipes? I llooooovvvveeee lemon flavored desserts now.

1. And coconut lip balm too. Basically, if I see something that’s coconut and vegan, I’m going to have to try it :-?.

I *think* I have a lemon pie recipe… *Runs off to check*

It’s not reeeeaally lemon-y though. Maybe add some lemon juice to the Love Muffin recipe? I really don’t know much about lemon-flavored baked goods :(. Sorry to be so unhelpful!

11. Tina says:

Hey Katie!
    I´ve never seen a more beautiful cake than yours! It´s so pretty!!!!

At Parties I bring my own food. But when this is not possible, I often eat the decoration of the buffet :-)! Or the people who give the party, make some food especially for me!!! Thanks to my mother, who have always good ideas, to leave me not hungry at famlily-birthday-parties or on Christmas…..!

Tina

1. Wow, thank you so much, Tina :). And moms are the best!!

12. The cake looks beautiful! I love the bright purple color :)

I try to bring something to share at parties — I really only try to avoid dairy, but I can have it in small amounts. It doesn’t seem to affect me then. When I was losing weight with weight watchers I would always bring a fruit/veggie tray. Always!

13. Caitlin says:

YUM!

I have pretty bad stomach issues, so I try to eat gluten free. I also don’t like meat. Even still, there are almost always great options for me at social gatherings. I try to bring food to share or for myself, BUT if that doesn’t happen I just eat what’s available and then deal with the consequences. I should/could be more careful, but after the whole “eating disorder” fiasco I don’t think it is worth it to let my diet control my life.

14. abby says:

i want to come to your next party! why? well to meet you, of course! oh ok, i really want to come so i can grab a slice of that cake ;). it looks so naughty. who would’ve guessed it’s healthy when it’s purple and has luscious looking icing like that? yum!

15. Sarahishealthy says:

Katie that cake is gorgeous! When I get married, can you make mine? Just maybe don’t make it purple ;). Aw heck, if it’s that pretty you can go ahead and make it purple anyway ;). I’ll just have to get married in October!

16. Dianne says:

I ALWAYS bring some kind of sweet treat, but there’s usually also fruit, veggies or chips that I snack on, too!

17. Inspired says:

That is SUCH a pretty cake! Hehe I would have wanted to eat the head too. Or maybe the orange pumpkin body. Gosh, I’m such a cannibal. 😉

18. Eric Jaffa says:

I mostly eat organic carrots and potatoes.

Root vegetables absorb what is in the soil, & vegetables which aren’t organic may be grown with nasty stuff in the soil.

19. Moni'sMeals says:

Katie! I love your decorations for cupcakes and cakes! You are too cute and you should have a side business going. hehe. Looks really good.

I always eat before and have a few snacks in my purse but usually I can swing it. I am not vegan though (almost…almost, if makes sense) so it is much easier. :)

I am known to bring the veggies with a killer homemade dip though! :)

20. If it’s a little party that isn’t focused around food, I’ll just eat beforehand and not eat while I’m there. But if we’re supposed to bring things or food feels like more of an attraction, I’ll usually whip up a batch of cookies. Those always impress people. And I definitely never stop being vegan at a party!