Sugar Free Chocolate Fudge

Rich, chocolatey, homemade sugar free chocolate fudge –

5 Ingredient Healthy Chocolate Fudge. It MELTS in your mouth! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/01/31/sugar-free-chocolate-fudge/ @choccoveredkt

Hearing the words “sugar free” normally makes me think of cloyingly sweet, sucralose-laden desserts or beverages.

Chemical sugars and I do not get along. As a little kid, I put Sweet-n-Low in my iced tea because my mom said it dissolved better than sugar. But after a few months of awful tummy aches, we determined Sweet-n-Low didn’t like me very much. The feeling is mutual; to me, foods with fake sugars tend to taste… well,  fake.

But this sugar free chocolate fudge has no fake sugar. It only has real ingredients, which is perhaps why it tastes so incredible!

sugar free chocolate fudge recipe

You’ll find no Darth Vaders lurking here in this rich, decadent, melt-in-your-mouth sugar free chocolate fudge. No, in my little world of chocolate, everything is turned upside down, and dark equals light.

I hope you will fall in love with this recipe like I have!

pin-it

Sugar Free Chocolate Fudge

Print This Recipe 5/5
5/52

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup coconut butter (120g)
  • 1 over-ripe banana (or 2/3 cup additional coconut butter) (160g)
  • scant 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or honey - or pinch uncut stevia
  • 1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder (40g)
  • optional 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • optional 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Instructions

Make sure your coconut butter is melted before use. Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Then smooth the fudge into a container or candy molds. (Plastic containers work well, because you can pop the fudge right out.) Place in the fridge for a few hours, or freeze for a few minutes. You can freeze it for longer periods of time; just be sure to thaw at least 15-20 minutes prior to eating.

View Chocolate Fudge Nutrition Facts

Don’t forget the variations:

fudge flavors

Sugar Free Fudge Flavors

Mint-Chocolate, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cookie Dough… there are so many I still want to try!

chocolate covered email button

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Anonymous says:

I have to admit that when you first posted the Good Girl fudge, I wrote it off because I’m trying to lose weight, and sugar free or not, it’s still fudge! But then, after seeing your peanut butter version the next day, I caved. And ohmygosh I am glad I did!

I ate a huge piece (way bigger than normal fudge) for 100 CALORIES!!! 🙂 🙂 And it took a long time to eat it. I savored every bite, and it melted on my tongue. For those of us trying to lose weight, I gotta tell you, we don’t get to have that enjoyment from eating something so delicious very often.

I made the regular version, but now I’m so excited to try the chocolate! Everything’s better in chocolate, right?

1. abby says:

oh ok, you sold me on it. i am so going to have to try this now! and by now, i mean today! 🙂

2. Melissa says:

I’m on this now, too.
      I’ve got an unopened jar of coconut butter calling my name (it’s still unopened ’cause once I open it, all bets are off!)

2. abby says:

i sometimes use fake sweeteners. bad, i know. but for someone who’s still working on her eating issues, sometimes i fall into the trap of thinking the lower calorie sugar-free syrup is better for me that pure maple stuff. i’m working on it, and sometimes i’m able to eat a little of the real stuff. but i’m still sometimes a slave to the fake sugars.

3. VeggieGirl says:

No Splenda for me. I like REAL sugar 😀

4. Lisa C. says:

And I didn’t think it was possible for anything to look more delicious than the vanilla version! Oh how wrong I was!

5. I definitely want to make this with PB 🙂

6. Sarahishealthy says:

I’ve been meaning to try the chocolate raspberry fudge version we talked about. Thanks for the reminder! I’ll let you know how it goes :).
    I’ve already made peppermint fudge (the “good girl” recipe with peppermint extract), and it was AWESOME!

7. Jennifer says:

I’m with you, Katie, fake sweeteners just taste fake! My dad can drink diet Coke like there’s no tomorrow to me it is just disgusting! I actually don’t use sugar in many things, though I love honey in oatmeal and naturally sweet fruits (fresh and dried!).

8. eatandrun says:

oh my gosh, this looks so good!!!

9. Jennifer JCD says:

Oh excellent, my jaw dropped open whilst reading today’s post. Really. I’ll be making a huge batch and bringing it to ballet class with me today to share. Yum!

Anyway, no fake sugars here for us. I tried some muffins made with splenda once and I got such a bad headache I was stuck in bed for the rest of the day. Not fun. We much prefer the natural sweetness of maple syrup, medjool dates, and fruit.

And you’ll be pleased to know that temperatures here have returned to their regularly scheduled -31C/-24F this morning. Brrr… We ran inside a school this morning. Not kidding: up the stairs, down the corridor, down the stairs, loop around the hallways, and repeat 9 more times. It was fun; way better than a track or treadmill.

1. Yesterday, it was 75 (F) here. I ran in shorts! Tomorrow, it’ll be 30, with snow. Make up your mind, Texas!!

P.S. I love how we share weather stories :).

10. Gen says:

Yum! I don’t use a lot of sweetener…..sometimes, but usually I like the real deal or honey just because I’d rather have a few more calories in something than consume tons of artificial crap. =P

11. Kathleen says:

I strive to sweeten my baked goods unprocessed sweeteners, like fruit, agave, honey, molasses; none of that artificial stuff. 🙂 Yum!!! I can’t wait to try these. Hehe, I always loved Darth Vader. 😉

1. Hannah says:

Forget the agave its hugely processed – the marketing job they’ve done on that stuff is incredible…they call it nectar, like it just drips out of the flower into the bottle right? Nope. Its the root of the agave plant…heavily processed&refined in order to get that pretty syrup. Sorry to say. And 90% fructose – high fructose corn syrup has got nothing on agave.

12. definitely not a fan of added sweeteners– the more natural, the more decadent and the happier my body is! i’ve found that dark choc cocoa with a a combo of fruits makes things sweet and delicious!

great recipe katie

13. Maria says:

I still use sugar-free syrup, but that’s about it.

14. Emily K. says:

Gosh, I love your chocolate-covered blog. Every time a chocolate craving hits, and they often hit, I know just where to run ;).
    I don’t use artificial sweeteners. I enjoy small amounts of the real stuff: molasses, maple syrup, agave, and yes, table sugar. Everything in moderation!

15. Ahhh fudge!! A girl after my own heart:)

I love stevia, but that isn’t artificial in any sense so I guess that doesn’t really count:)

1. Sheila says:

Stevia, if you get the natural unprocessed form, is natural not a “fake” sugar.

1. Sheila says:

Stevia, if you get the natural unprocessed form, is natural not a “fake” sweetener.

16. Fake sugar makes my stomach ache, too! Plus, it skeeves me out–I don’t know a ton about it, but I feel like it cannot be good for anyone. I love regular sugar in all its lovely forms.

17. Elisa's Edibles says:

I don’t really like the artificial stuff, but if I’m out at a restaurant and having a cup of coffee, sometimes I’ll add in some splenda out of habit. I don’t know why, I just do. I doubt the tiny bit will have any negative effect on me, as I don’t use it at home.

18. I love this variation Katie! I think I might go carob (love me some carob). Great way to cut the fat a bit, since as mentioned, I would eat the whole batch otherwise, and my tummy can’t handle 1/4 cup of coconut butter at once! We’ll leave that to HEAB 🙂

1. Yeah, sometimes I don’t feel too hot if I eat too much coconut butter at once… is it the fat? I always assumed it was just an overload of coconut. Interesting!

1. I think it is the fat, as I noticed when I have other really high fat meals (that is the fat is a really high percentage of what I eat – like these yummer fudge bites) that my tummy doesn’t like me much. I’m thinking perhaps like sugars, fat needs some balance to digest well? At least for some of us anyway! I was reading some writing by a doctor and he was actually saying that they have found some distinct differences in humans … some thrive on high carbohydrate, some on high protein, and some on high fat … mostly likely from the cultures we are descendent from. Anyway, I paraphrase, but it was interesting research.

1. That really seems to make sense! It would definitely explain why some of us crave more protein-rich foods while others (me!) crave carbs carbs carbs! lol but maybe that also has to do with activity… I’m a runner, so I’m conditioned to think I need carbs. Body builders are conditioned to think “Protein.” 🙂

1. Linda Weaver says:

I can’t wait to try this fudge recipe!! I’m so glad I found your page!!!

But speaking of high fat… Wonder what happens when a person eats a high fat meal? The brachial arteries constrict!

University of Maryland School of Medicine did a test using 3 groups, one taking a placebo; one on Juice Plus Orchard and Garden Blend; and the third taking Orchard, Garden, and Vineyard blends of Juice Plus.

Have you ever heard of Juice Plus? It is fruits, vegetables, and berries in capsule form! Starting with high quality farm fresh produce, working with midsize family farms run by some of the best fruit and vegetable farmers in North America, Juice Plus provides the best quality nutrition.

Results of the test? After only 28 days, the 3 groups ate another high fat meal: the placebo group had the same brachial artery constriction; the Orchard and Garden Blend Juice Plus group’s constriction was reduced by 50%; and the PRIZE… the people taking Orchard, Garden, and Vineyard Blend Juice Plus only had a 2% constriction!!!! Almost nothing!!! Amazing results!

So, enjoy the chocolate! Yum!! But protect yourself… get the nutrients from 25 fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and berries every day! 🙂

See this report at lindaweaver4juiceplus.com, clinical research results, heart health, University of Maryland.

Juice Plus has been called a more important development than antibiotics! See for yourself!

lindaweaver4juiceplus.com

19. Brandie says:

This looks AWESOME…I might have to make 🙂 I have some coconut butter at the moment, so yah, here’s a good use for it!

And NOPE, no Splenda!!! It does NOT NOT NOT agree with me 🙁 Bad tummy problems when I eat it. In fact, I struggles with tummy problems on and off for over a YEAR – tried elimination diets, so much research, thought food allergies or something… nothing worked. I stumbled across some online articles that said some people have tummy issues with sucralose, and the symptoms matched mine! I cut it out completely and BAM no more problems! It’s amazing. And now, if I have any, I know right away, the tummy tells me. It’s nuts.

In a pinch, if I’m thirsty with no other options, I WILL have a diet soda (can’t have all the real sugar/corn syrup/whatever they use -OMG sick), with NutraSweet or whatever, but I haven’t noticed tummy problems with that one (YET!)…

At home, I sweeten almost exclusively with stevia, though occasionally I’ll use agave or date or coconut crystals (for baking). In my coffee, oatmeal, smoothies, etc.. always Stevia 🙂

20. Brandie says:

Hey chica, what’d you mix it in? Your bullet?

1. Yup, but if you get the banana soft enough, you don’t actually even need a blender! You can fork mash!

1. Brandie says:

Mmmmmm Yummers! I have it in the fridge to harden while I’m at work! Made a variation though… based on your recipe, will let you know what happens!!!!!! I’m so excited!