High Protein Mushroom Stroganoff

High-protein mushroom stroganoff…

mushroom stroganoff

It’s gluten-free as well, and there’s a soy-free option. One thing of which the dish isn’t free, however, is taste!

You’d think it was top-secret recipe, for how long I’ve waited to post it. This mushroom stroganoff is dedicated to my friend, Sunne. She might never see it, though, since she probably fell off her chair when she saw I actually posted. From the time I first made the stroganoff until now, I’ve gotten emails from Sünne and many others, reminding me to post the recipe. My problem is: when I’m not making a recipe specifically for the blog, I don’t often measure all my ingredients. Cups become handfuls, teaspoons turn into pinches, and the food scale takes a nice, long nap. Well, better late than never, right?

It was an amalgamation of two different cookbook recipes, fused with my own creative flair. (P.S. Isn’t it fun to pronounce amalgamation?)

Warm. Comforting. Perfect for a cold day. And since we’ve certainly not had a shortage of cold days lately, I figured it’d be an opportune time to finally post the recipe:

vegan mushroom stroganoff

High Protein Mushroom Stroganoff

(3 servings, about 5 1/2 cups… but I always eat it in two!)

• 480g sliced mushrooms (about 1lb, or 2 boxes)
  • 4-5 carrots, sliced into coins (180g)
  • 1 onion, chopped (160g)
  • optional: a few handfuls green beans, chopped(I use 200g)
  • 2 tsp sweet paprika (not smoked paprika)
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 120g firm-silken tofu or lite (I use mori-nu. See recipe instructions for a soy-free option.)
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • salt (and pepper, if desired)
  • oil spray OR 1 tbsp oil
  • 2 tbsp minced garlic

Heat pan, then add oil and onion. Sauté until translucent, then add the green beans and carrot. Cook 2 minutes, then add mushrooms and garlic. Cook until mushrooms get soft (about 6ish minutes), then add paprika, onion powder, and 1/4 tsp salt. Sauté another 5 minutes, then add ½ cup water, bring to a boil, then cover and cook on low (not simmer) 35 minutes.

Meanwhile combine the tofu, 1/2 tsp salt, tomato paste, 1/2 cup water, and wine in a magic bullet cup or blender.  After the 35 minutes, add this mixture to the stroganoff and bring to a boil (uncovered). Lower to medium, and continue to cook (stirring occasionally) until the liquid reduces (10-20 minutes). Alternatively, this can be made in a slow cooker. *For a soy-free option, try using milk of choice in place of the tofu, but you’ll have to add a little cornstarch or flour to thicken.

vegetarian stroganoff

Do you like mushrooms? Also, did you ever play Nintendo?
Remember the mushrooms, and how they’d make Super Mario grow huge?

High-Protein Mushroom Stroganoff- this is one of my favorite recipes of ALL time.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Okay, I am making this today – I don’t have silken tofu, but do you think it would work for me to just blend some tofu up with a little bit of liquid?

1. Yup, definitely! I used the silken-firm, so it’s pretty firm anyway. I think as long as you blend it, it’ll work well. Heck, it might even make a thicker, creamier sauce :),

2. Albizia says:

I was obsessed with Super Mario as a kid but fortunately this obsession didn’t make me try death-cups. The meal looks delicious and Mario would probably have grown even larger if had eaten some of it instead of plain poisonous mushrooms 😀 .

I love mushrooms very much. And do you know what? They go really well with broccoli. Mmm…

3. Kathleen says:

Mushrooms are one of my favorites!!! This looks INCREDIBLE Katie!!! I always love your recipes girlie!!! I haven’t met one I haven’t liked. :)

4. Jennifer JCD says:

Yaaayyy!! Thank you for this recipe. I was anxiously awaiting this one too. I’ll buy the ingredients and make it this weekend. Mmm…

Mushrooms = yummy, so yes. I’ll eat them raw and cooked, but my husband only likes them cooked in something. I haven’t met a mushroom I haven’t liked. (Edible ones, that is, but the inedible ones are still pretty!)

We’re such Nintendo nerds in our house. We have the original Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and N64 action all the time. My husband still takes his Gameboy on the bus. Original Mario is my favourite, but my husband just bought me Mario64, which is even better! And don’t forget MarioKart, where mushrooms give you super speed. (We don’t have Wii, but we regularly visit my brother to play Rock Band and Rayman.)

1. Ohmigosh I loooove Game Boy! I still have the super-old grey one. I was such a precocious child: once they started coming out with new Nintendos/game boys, I boycotted! I was like, “They’re not going to lure me into that trap of having to buy more and more. I’ll just keep my old ones!” :)

5. do you use the tofu that;s very liquid-y? I’d really like to try this!

1. I use Morinu, which comes in an aseptic package. But I really don’t think the type matters much, since you’ll be blending it :).

6. I love mushrooms!!!! Meaning I will LOVE this! Cannot wait to make it. Alright…need to go read about this Whole Foods Boy, lol.

7. I LOVE THIS!!! katie you never fail to amaze me with your recipes.. NEVER!

8. thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!
    quick question: i have some mori-nu tofu that says it was best before jan 2, 2011…. a month ago :/ (i know, how could i have not used it up!!??) do you think it’s still okay? haha.

1. Yeah! LOL I’d use it. I think you have some leeway with packaged goods, because companies don’t want to get sued! Plus, it’s usually a sell-by date, so they expect you might eat it after that. Plus… well, I’ve done it before and all turned out ok ;).

9. Camille says:

I looove mushrooms!
    Confession: I never played video games until I was about 19 years old. We never had them when i was growing up and to this day I really don’t understand my boyfriend’s fascination with them. I put up with it because he got a degree in technology/art design that he wants to apply to video games, but I still find them kind of boring!

10. Michelle says:

I just moved to Dallas and realized you are from there! I have been following your blog for a couple of months but definitely am not in the blogging world. Just came across yours one day and loved your recipes! Just wanted to say hi. Any tips you have for the Big D more than welcomed!

Michelle

1. Aww hey Michelle!!! So… what do you think of this weather? 😉
      My favorite new restaurant in Dallas is Bliss Raw Cafe, which I’ve posted about a few times. I also love the Plano Whole Foods best, because it seems to have the biggest selection.

11. Jenny says:

YES. LOVE mushrooms. They are one of the best things everrr! My parents used to always tell me that they were nutritionally deficient – so I’m glad that there are so many studies now saying otherwise! It justifies eating them – they’re super delicious… AND nutritious! :)

Another great recipe to try! Thank you thank you! Oh and yes — I loved playing on the Super Nintendo and the N64 with my brother when I was younger. We eventually had to give our Super Nintendo away (so sad about that! And we both regret it so much) but our N64 still works and we still play it whenever we’re both at home! Good times, good times :)

1. I used to think they were nutritionally deficient too! But then I decided I liked them anyway… and now it turns out they ARE good for you! :)

1. Jenny says:

Hmm just tried out this recipe tonight! I cooked it for my mom and I, and did the ‘shrooms first as your “updated” version instructed. I really liked it, and the sauce reduced nicely, but my non-veggie-loving mom found it bland. :( Have you ever had that problem when serving it to others? Or perhaps the white wine I used was too weak… What did you use? If you don’t mind me asking!

1. Hey Jenny,
          I’m so sorry your mom didn’t like it :(. Maybe add a little soy sauce to the sauce? Or saute in more oil to begin with? I just use whatever white wine we have on hand at the moment. I *think* the last time I made it, I used a Riesling, but I’ve done it with all sorts of different wines.

12. Gloria says:

Mushroom! Mushroom! What do you think about using some agar pudding made with almond milk for a soy-free option? or maybe 1/4 cup of cashews + almond milk?

1. I’ve thought about trying the agar base! If you ever do, let me know :).

13. It makes life ten times better when you give soy-free options! Yes, I am a soy-eschewer 😉

This makes me think of that song that goes like “Yummy yummy yummy I’ve got love in my tummy!” because I. love. mushrooms. I can eat an entire package in one night, it’s totally fine. Thanks for the shroom lovin!

14. That dish looks amazing Katie! Like a Katie stir-fry with stroganoff sauce :)

I LOVE mushrooms … and yep, I remember the nintendo days, but my family wasn’t that well off, we had Intelevision – pre-Katie’s birth I think!

1. Intelevision? lol I’ve never heard of that!

1. Yep, pre-Katie’s birth :)

I am 36 you know, I think I was a pre-teen when you were born!

15. Alyssa says:

Looks delish! Which I’ve come to expect :-)

16. Warm mushrooms are so juicy and delicious!

p.s. i hope the rest of that bottle of wine was put to good use…

17. I am a huge fan of mushrooms! The are so magically delicious, and I definitely like to think I’m powering up Mario-style when I eat them! :)

18. hippierunner says:

I love mushrooms! Portabello burgers are my fave way to go w mushrooms. And my little brother is like obsessed with Super Mario on the Wii, and he always asks me to play with him too.

19. Gen says:

I LOVE mushrooms!! And we don’t even get good ones here =( Looks like I’ll have to wait three years to make this!

20. i LOVED nintendo, but sega was my favorite:)

1. What was that ugly rodent thing… Simon? Oh wait, no, Sonic! Haha my dentist had that game and I LOVED it!