Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Mini Muffins are so cute

Surprising fact about me:

I love chocolate.

Oh wait, that’s not surprising at all, is it? Here’s something that is surprising: Every once in a while, I crave something other than chocolate. Yesterday afternoon, for example, I was craving… lemon poppy seed?

Okay, who are you, and what have you done with Katie?

The problem is, there are no poppy seed recipes in my archives.

lemon muffins

This was a job for my good friends over at the Candle Cafe. I’ve owned their cookbook for years, and you know how many recipes I’ve made from it? Zero.

I used to be so bad about buying cookbooks. I’d flip through the recipes, bookmark pages, and then never make any. Therefore, I’ve forced myself to completely stop buying cookbooks in the first place. Before I purchase new ones, I ought to show some love to those I already own!

So yesterday, I dug out the Candle Cafe Cookbook and assembled ingredients for their lemon poppy seed muffins. However, if you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know that I am incapable of following a recipe. True to form, I abandoned CC’s recipe halfway through and did my own thing.

lemon muffins

Where’s the 12th mini muffin? In mah belly!

Lil Lemon Poppies
(Adapted from the Candle Cafe Cookbook)

• very scant 1 tbsp poppy seeds
  • 1 tsp grated lemon zest
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 c milk of choice
  • 1 c spelt flour (or white, ww pastry, or even try gluten-free mix!)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/4 c butter-type spread (full-fat), applesauce, oil, or a combo (if using oil or applesauce, add 1/16 tsp salt)
  • 2 tbsp sugar (I used less than 2tbsp because I used stevia)
  • 1/2 tsp powdered ginger (You can omit this.)

Preheat oven to 355 degrees. Mix dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix liquid ingredients (and poppy seeds), then combine and stir until just mixed. Don’t overmix. Pour into mini liners or spray a mini muffin tin with oil, and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Makes 12 cute lil mini muffins.

If desired, you can top them with my Easiest-Ever Icing.

But they really don’t even need a glaze; these babies are perfect on their own.

The bake sale is over!

For the incredible results: Bake-Sale Results.

I know a lot of you want to know more details about the sale, and those of you who bid are chomping (literally!) at the bit to know exactly when you’ll get your delicious yummies. Please be patient with me; I have a terrifying amount of emails in my inbox at the moment, and there’s no way I can get to them all today. Please remember that I have other obligations; running the bake sale is not my job.

I’ll publish a big “bake sale wrap up” post tomorrow, listing the amount we raised and giving instructions on what to do next. (I’ll also be sending emails to the winners in the next few days; as I said, please be patient!)

Question of the Day:

Do you bookmark recipes from cookbooks or blogs, then never make any?

Or are you the kind of person who sees a recipe (either in a cookbook or a blog) and immediately goes out and makes it that night? And can you follow a recipe to a tee, or do you improvise as you go along?

Tags: , ,

1. Hela says:

oh yum, yum, yum!! I LOVE lemon-poppy seed-muffins!! one of the best combos EVER! also, I have successfully swapped the lemons for limes, which makes them taste even better! actually, I prefer the lime version 😉
    Katie, you are the best for organizing the bake sale so well!! I bet you have put so much time in there already. Thanks for doing it 🙂

1. Hela says:

and to answer the question of the day: I totally bookmark tons of recipes and simply forget about them, but once in a while I would remember one and just recreate it, as I would be too lazy to look it up. I get a lot of inspiration from recipe books and I love them, but I never follow the instructions. I´m more like “oh hey, well, that is a great combination” and then I would go and make my own thing with those ingredients as the base. Hello to improvisation!

2. Brandie says:

OMG! My mom just made lemon poppy seed muffins yesterday too! They’re the full fat full sugar not too healthy kind but MAN are they good! *giggle* Junior ate one and asked for more 4 times hahaha! Maybe I’ll try your recipe too and see how he likes ’em 🙂

1. Junior is so cute! I want a Junior! Hehe I bet he’s a handful… but still!

1. Brandie says:

AW THANKS!!!!! I just know you’ll love him – I’ll make sure we both come to visit you and have our Raw Bliss ‘date’ *giggle* You’ll LOVE him in person too!

(And Y.E.S. he’s a handful lol!)

3. you made these? they look BAKERY PERFECT !

great job on the bake sale, congrats!

1. Awwww thank u! I must admit: photoshop helped a lot! I upped the saturation on the photos considerably ;).

4. i LOVE LEMON POPPYSEED! one of my favs.. except when the poppyseeds get stuck in my teeth- awkward

i tend to make up stuff but thats becuz i get rly impatient and cnt focus on a recipe and do all the measuring and stuff– its so tedious!!

dont worry about the baksale!! im kind of scared for you for alll them emails you must have! duh.. duh. duhHhhH! (that was a scary sound effect)

5. Stefanie says:

I am the same way with recipes. I’ll bookmark a bunch but do not make them for a long time afterwards. It is more about saving money for me though since I am on a budget. Now I am craving lemon poppy seed muffins. Maybe I will try to make a lemon poppy seed breakfast tomorrow. 🙂 I’m excited to see the bake sale wrap up post tomorrow.

6. Freya says:

SO cute!
    Yep I’m always thinking ‘oohh i want to cook that!’
    I actually have a MASSIVE word document which lists all the things I want to cook from blogs 😛

1. OMG me too! I copy and paste like crazy… I think I’ve made a grand total of 2 from that massive list!

7. I love buying new cookbooks but I buy theym at a faster pace than I can make all the recipes I bookmark to make so I end up forgetting about some…. I need to work on that!

8. I have the same cookbook problem. I have a million little sticky notes and a binder of recipes and I have yet to try probably 98% of them.

9. Laura says:

I have an entire shelf of cookbooks, and I’ve only cooked an average of about 2 recipes per book, though I they’re filled with post-it flags of things I want too try. I also still have a couple hundred recipes I starred in google reader during Vegan MoFo and never got around to making. And no, I basically never manage to follow a recipe as-is…and on those rare occasions that I do, I’m usually disappointed.

10. Kimberley says:

I love mini muffins, they are much more moist and not as dry as big ones and hey you can have more 😉

I have a list of recipes from blogs/cookbooks etc to try out. If i find a really interesting one I want to try out alot i will move it to the top of my list. I need to organize them better though!

11. Tulika says:

Mini muffins ARE cute…and yours look cute AND tasty!! I hear ya on the cookbooks…I feel like it takes more effort to use a recipe from a cookbook than by looking it up online/bookmarking it!

12. I always see tons of things I want to make, but I never end up making most of them! 🙁

13. Heather says:

Yum! Lemmon Poppyseed, so unexpected!

14. Emily says:

I always buy my Mom cookbooks, she has OODLES covering all sorts of cuisines, filled with gorgeous pics. Yet Momma NEVER bakes anything from them. I inherited her love/avoid relationship with cb’s so I’ve not let myself purchase any. However, Elana Amsterdam has a new cupcake cookbook coming out (using ONLY coconut and almond flour!) so I may have to break my own rule. So tempting….

15. good job on the bake sale katie!!
    i have tons of cookbooks…tooo many. i haven’t used half!!

16. Gen says:

Those muffins look AWESOME!!!!
    I have a laundry list of recipes both on blogs and in cookbooks that I’d love to make but haven’t! hahahahaha

17. Val says:

I always bookmark recipes and then never get around to making them because as much as I want to try them, I usually end up going back to whats quick and simple for my meals when I’m hungry. Sometimes I even buy the ingredients for a certain recipe and then never end up making it haha. Those look great though!! Also I made your Boatmeal the other day (for supper haha) and it was amazing!!!!! I will defs be making that again!

18. Those look like such sweet, tasty little muffins! I have been on a huge muffin kick lately. I think I might have to make these next! 🙂

19. Janna says:

YES! Huge fan of lemon poppyseed muffins! I’m putting these on my to-bake list for when I move into a place with a kitchen in June!!