Girl-Scout Fudge Babies

Also known as…

Samoas Fudge Babies!

No, not the spicy Indian potato thing. That’s a samosa. This is a samoa. You don’t want to get the two confused! Winking smile

Awhile back, I posted a recipe for Raw Thin-Mint Brownies.

In that post, I vowed to someday try making raw samoas, my favorite girl-scout cookies as a child.

raw samoas 1

samoas 1

Gosh, my children are pretty.

Certainly prettier than those poor Thin Mint Brownies!

samoas balls

Samoas Babies

• Packed 1/2 cup dates (90g)
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut (30g)
  • 1/16 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • scant 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1-2 tbsp chocolate chips or bar (14-28g)

Put all the ingredients together in your food processor, and blend. (I like to make 1/2 a batch and use the Magic Bullet short cup.) You can reserve a few of the chocolate chips to add, post-blending, if you so desire. See below for nutrition information.

samoas truffles

Nutrition Facts for Samoas Babies:

Serving Size: 45 grams (the size of a Larabar)

• 175 calories
  • 8 g fat
  • 2 g protein
  • 5 g fiber
  • 0 g added sugars

When I set out to create a fudge baby version of the famous Samoas girl-scout cookie, the first thing I did was look up ingredients for the real Samoas.

Do you know what I found?

It wasn’t pretty: Sugar, vegetable oil (partially-hydrogenated palm kernel and/or cottonseed oil, soybean and palm oil), enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), coconut, corn syrup, sweetened condensed milk (condensed milk, sugar), cocoa, sorbitol, glycerin, invert sugar, cocoa processed with alkali,cornstarch, salt, caramelized sugar, dextrose, soy lecithin, carrageenan, leavening, natural and artificial flavor

Anyone want to count how many times some form of sugar is listed in there? (Answer: six)

Sounds more like a science experiment than a cookie. Does anyone else find it upsetting that they’re allowed to produce such cookies and feed them—in bulk—to unsuspecting young girls (not to mention the rest of the population that buys the cookies from the scouts). I just don’t understand…

Why do they have to make junk?

Healthy food can taste delicious, as I say in my About Me page.

So why don’t they make a healthier cookie for the girl scouts to sell? Unfortunately, I know the answer: cost. It’s cheaper for companies to mass-produce cookies with chemical-y ingredients and preservatives than it’d be for them to use real, natural ingredients (i.e. ingredients found in cookies that people would bake at home!). Who ends up suffering? The consumers.

Don’t get me wrong…

I’m not saying that eating a girl-scout cookie every now and then is going to hurt you. I truly believe it’s perfectly healthy for people to occasionally eat unhealthy foods (as long as they don’t stress about it afterwards). Stress over achieving a “perfect” diet seems far worse for one’s health than eating processed junk every once in a while. No, what I’m upset about is the fact that manufacturers are allowed to produce said processed junk in the first place! Yes, America is a free country. But does this mean companies have the right to add to their products whatever unhealthy (and, in some cases, dangerous) ingredients they desire? And then they aggressively target these products towards children?! Marketing and deceptive advertising strategies can fool even the most well-intentioned consumers.

Ah, but I digress. Let’s get back to the fun stuff, shall we?

vegan samoas

samoa

These are actually nut-free!

I improved upon the recipe after the photo-shoot, which is why the babies in the photos have nuts. (Please don’t take that sentence the wrong way.) Do they taste exactly like samoas cookies? No, but that wasn’t the taste/texture I set out to achieve when making these. They’re not raw samoas, they’re raw samoas fudge babies!

So what do they taste like?

Well, imagine a Samoa-flavored Larabar. Winking smile

And click for a list of all the Homemade Larabar Flavors.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. Ahhh I have been waiting for these my whole life, I have everything on hand so as soon as I get out of class im headed straight to the kitchen 🙂 thanks for another lovely recipe.

2. Gen says:

That looks really awesome!!!!!!!!!! Can’t wait to try these out! 😀

3. Freya says:

I couldn’t agree with you more! I also get miffed when you buy bread or something, and it lists stuff like whey protein and tons of sugars and stuff I can’t pronounce – it’s BREAD for crying out loud! We shouldn’t have to add so much cr*p :/

4. VeggieGirl says:

AHH!!! Perfect 🙂

5. They look amazing and I completely agree with your comments regarding unhealthy foods being pushed to those girls. I think its such a shame as so many people have no idea that you can eat healthy stuff that tastes as amazing as I’m sure these do – we need to spread the fudge baby love!

6. Jojo says:

Ooh yum! I’ve never had a GS Samoa before, but I’m sure these are so much better than those cardboardy things 😀

Not related, but I also like samosas 😛

7. Haha I’m glad you cleared up the whol ‘samoa’ thing, cos I did think you were talking about samosas! 😛

These look DEEEELISH!! I am so making them asap!! 😀

And I totally agree with you!! I think they especially take advantage of the fact that this stuff is marketed at kids who are much less likely to read or care about ingredients lists! But CCK can and IS changing things, one person at a time, to show everyone that healthy is the new naughty 🙂

8. Brandie says:

I’m so SAD! I can’t make babies anymore 🙁 My bullet DIED *cries* The VitaMix is just a bit too big, it can’t work around a tiny batch like I make … sad sad sad.

I agree on the GS Cookies points too lol, I was a GS for like 9 years, and sold the shiz-nit out of the cookies! But back then I didn’t know better… and oh we ATE the shiz-nit out of em too! *giggle* NOW? I wouldn’t want my daughter even selling them… good thing I don’t have to worry about that particular dillemna (FOR A LONG TIME, or ever…?)

I have thought about when my lil man gets older and wants Boy Scouts or whatever, and I’ll want him to participate cause that’s awesome… and then I think omg what if they do, like, beef jerky fundraisers or something? ACK! I’ll just have to find a way to DONATE a bunch of money so he doesn’t have to sell it lol

9. Beautiful pictures! THose look delicious! I cant believe all the ingredients, well, actually yes I can. It’s sad how what you can find in certain food products. Just yesterday I pulled out some bread crumbs and found MANY different kinds of sugar including High Fructose Corn Syrup…In bread crumbs! just crazy!

10. Grace says:

YUM.
    Katie, you must go through a ton of dates. Where do you buy yours?
    Thanks!

1. Hey Grace! I actually buy the SunMaid ones at my regular grocery store. I stock up when they’re on sale for $2.49 a package.

11. Star says:

These look fabulous! I must admit, Samoas used to be my favorite girl scout cookie.
    I also agree with you though, It is sad too that they use these little girls to market these cookies. I mean how could an innocent little girl be selling you something so harmful right?
    But on a brighter note, your samoa baby photos are beautiful!

12. YES YES YE SLOVE! i would much prefer these to actual samoas just saying.. and i think last time when you mentioned about these I said ‘samosa’ in the comments…. is it sad that i thought it was samosa??.. my b

another BEAUTIFUL creation!!!

13. Tulika says:

Yes!! How exciting–so glad you posted this recipe. And I cannot believe the ingredients in real samoas!!! Makes me sick just thinking about it (especially because I love samoas!). If only everyone could be more informed about these issues…sigh.

14. Gina says:

Amazing job, Katie!! What is that deliciousness you drizzled on top?

1. Chocolate Butter: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/05/20/homemade-artisana-cacao-bliss/
      But that was just for the photos… really, they’re so awesome and don’t even need a topping! 🙂

15. McKella says:

Katie, you’re an angel. I love somoas, but sugar doesn’t really agree with me, but I am making these ASAP.
    I completely agree with you on the marketing science project foods to kids. I’ve worked with kids for years and I know they’re much likely to eat something if it’s colorful, shaped like something else, etc. and advertisers know that too. Most of the kids I’ve taught have no concept of what real food is, and it’s so sad. They’d rather eat dinosaur-shaped fruit snacks, lucky charms, pink strawberry-flavored milk, Go-gurt and Cheetos than fruits or veggies, which are colorful and delicious on their own. 🙁

16. Anonymous says:

Well said! I never understand, because people would be UP IN ARMS if companies put, say, nicotine or cyanide in products. And yeah partially-hydrogenated oils and other such things aren’t as bad as poison, but essentially aren’t they just another form of less potent poison?

17. Oooh I want these!!!! They are so pretty and I bet they taste amazing!!!

I totally agree with you about the ingredients in the real samoas. And truth be told, I bought some not so long ago and was disappointed with the flavor. Processed food lacks real flavor! I bet these are way better! Katie, you are a genius!

18. Omg LOVE IT! and I love when bars are in ball form so much more! maybe i’m an odd one but they are so much more fun that way!!!! =) its like a candy! <3

19. Kimberley says:

Ooooh girl they look delicious. It is so sad actually, I always feel so lucky that I grew up in a house where my family almost always ate healthy and not the opposite.

im excited to try these, I have to make some treats for my brothers high school graduation this week and his girlfriend is allergic to nuts so this is perfect! thanks !

1. That’s not sad at all! We always used to make fun of my grandma, because it wasn’t a meal to her unless there were like 10 vegetables being served! 🙂

20. Jennifer JCD says:

I’m jumping up and down with joy to see a nut-free fudge baby recipe. Yaaaaayyyy!!! (Although, Peabutter makes a good replacement in the PB cookie babies)

As for those ingredients… blech… I don’t want to put those chemicals in my body thankyouverymuch. Food manufacturers could learn a few lessons from you, Katie!