Strawberry Shortcake for One

Hi, my name is Kate.

I was born in London, I have long brown hair, and I have a younger sister.

Sadly, no prince charming… yet.

Despite the similarities between Kate Middleton and myself, I must confess I’ve not been keeping up with the royal wedding at all. In fact, I didn’t even realize it was so soon until yesterday, when #royalwedding tweets bombarded me on Twitter.

Always up for a “theme cooking” challenge, I scrambled to create a recipe for the occasion:

sberry cake1

Strawberries-n-cream cupcake, with Healthy Whipped Cream.

Or, rather, it would have been healthy cream if there’d been more time! With less than 24 hours to think up a recipe, make it, photograph it, and then blog about it, I had to take a few shortcuts (hence the soyatoo in the photo). Please don’t tell the queen! Winking smile

Having not lived in England since I was a baby, I was pretty clueless about British desserts (aside from a reference to Banoffi pie in one of my favorite movies, Love, Actually). I often think of berries and cream in association with my birthplace; normally with scones. However, time did not permit me to create a healthy scone recipe, since I’ve had no prior scone-making practice. Therefore, I turned to a recipe with which I do have previous experience—the single-lady cupcake!

Of course, married maidens (like Kate Middleton, as of today!) will need to double the recipe. Perhaps this single-lady cupcake is not truly traditional. But it is truly delicious.

For a more-traditional treat, do top with the above-linked healthy cream. Alternatively, this cupcake is sweet enough and flavorful enough that you can easily opt to eat it completely naked. (Interpret that statement however you wish.)

sberry6

Strawberries-n-Cream Cupcake

(Makes one cupcake, Single-Lady style!)

• 3 tbsp flour (I used white-whole-wheat. You can use all-purpose, Bob’s gf, or even ww pastry)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • heaping 1/16 tsp salt
  • 1 or 2 tbsp chopped strawberries
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil (You can sub a different oil; however the coconut oil gives it a rich flavor and fun texture. You can use applesauce for a fat-free version.)
  • 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp milk of choice (Use less if using liquid sweetener.)
  • 1 tbsp sugar or 1 packet stevia (I omitted, but most people will want some sweetener)

Preheat oven to 330 degrees. Mix dry, then add wet. Mix until just combined (don’t overmix), and bake for 17 minutes or so. (Baking time will vary, depending on the flour and oil/applesauce you use.) Or, you can cook it in the microwave, in a mug or small dish.

See original single-lady post for Nutritional Information.

sberry cake 3

Did you watch the Royal Wedding?
Have you been following the coverage at all?

I didn’t watch this morning, but I most definitely will be interested to see the photos (the gown! the cake!) in People magazine. I wish them well and really hope it lasts; they seem to have a strong bond, not rushing into anything. And I admire her courage. As handsome as Prince William is (and as nice as he seems), I don’t think I could handle all the media scrutiny that comes with being a princess!

P.S. I have another royal cupcake: Click to see!

Tags: , , , ,

1. Meg says:

With a face like yours, Prince Charming will be falling at your feet anyday now, “Kate” 😉 LOVE the recipe and not to mention is beautiful and colorful! So royal!

Love you girl! Happy FRIDAY!

2. Sarah C says:

I want to eat that first photo off my screen!!!!

And on a semi-related note, did you know your Cookie Dough Dip photo not only made the foodgawker “most gawked past 7 days” list, but it’s currently the second photo on the entire site!

Just in case you haven’t seen it yet: http://foodgawker.com/post/2011/04/25/101025/

I was so excited when I saw your photo up there :).

1. Wow, Sarah, thanks for telling me!!! OMG that is too cool!
      It says there are 213 pages of “most gawked,” so to be on the first page has pretty much made my day! And if you hadn’t told me, I would’ve never known! Thank u!

1. Sarah C says:

You’re very welcome! I stalk foodgawker all the time. It really helps me with my own photos. :).

3. Erika says:

Hahahahahahaha I think my favorite like was when you said “don’t tell the queen.” Although I also liked “married maidens (like Kate Middleton, as of today) will have to make two.” You’re so cute!
    And the first photo is incredible! Not that the others aren’t beautiful as well, just the first is my favorite.

4. I had no idea the wedding was so soon either and I was not the least bit interested until I turned on the tv this morning and saw how gorgeous kate looks! Your little creation looks gorgeous as well 🙂

5. Still can’t get over the fact that Will married THAT Kate and not YOU!! I guess its a good thing for Middleton that Will never got to meet you, or we’d be celebrating a different wedding right now…! 🙂

I seriously have my fingers crossed, because I *think* I have some strawberries in my fridge…if you do, you know what I’m making!! 😀

1. P.S. You don’t have Banoffee pie in America?!?! WHAT?! That’s MADNESS you guys are missing OUT!! 😛

1. I’ve never had it! I had to look it up on wikipedia yesterday. When I saw “toffee” I was instantly smitten. Now I want to make some… but have no idea how!

1. Hehe I was just Googling a recipe for a vegan version, with not much success!! I’m sure you’ll come up with an amazing CCK version at some point though, and I’ll be all over it then!! 😀

6. Aimee says:

I watched. I set my alarm clock to go off at 4:30 am. Shhh don’t tell! 😉
    Your photos are off the hook gorgeous!

7. Freya says:

I think it’ll last – they’ve been together SEVEN years which is promising!
    And yah I watched it 🙂 She didn’t get out of the car til 11am english time!
    I never knew you were born here- how cool! Are your parents english?

1. No, my dad works in intl. insurance, so they lived in London. I only wish I had been older when I lived there! We went back once when I was five, but I wanna go back again!! I love everything about England (including you ;)).

8. Very fancy and royal-wedding worthy!

1. PS – Prince Charming will come along soon enough 😉

9. Emily K says:

Hey Katie, I was just wondering if you’ve taken a photography class? Your photos are so much better now than they used to be. Not that they were bad before!!! That’s not what I meant.

1. Emily K says:

Oh also, I knew about the wedding, but I forgot it was today until I saw your blog post!

2. Aww lol no I knew what you meant! Unfortunately, I still don’t consider myself as good of a photographer as I’d like to be… I’ve never taken a class, but I would love to do so, someday! If only there were more time in each day!

10. Lisa Fine says:

I feel the same way. I looked at some stuff online this morning, but haven’t really been following the news about the Royal Wedding at all. But if I get to see a People magazine, I’d love to browse through the photos.

11. Jennifer JCD says:

Love the cupcake! So pretty. Berries and creme are definitely British. The wedding was at a gnarly 3 AM local time, and I have to work today, so I didn’t get to watch it. I wish I could though. The whole royal wedding thing has been pretty exciting. I’m not usually one to follow celebrities, but royals are worth celebrating, especially in a Commonwealth country. 🙂 I wish them all the best.

PS – You don’t need William; you’re already a princess!

1. Awwww times a million! Thanks, Jennifer. You always put a big smile on my little face ;).

12. I watched the end of it while I was doing my strength training just to see the dress and hear the music. I have not followed any of it, but I will look at pictures later too! The cake looks perfectly delicious!

1. Oh darn it! I should’ve taken a weight-lifting day and watched while I lifted! I am always looking for ways to make weight-lifting less tedious for me!

13. VeggieGirl says:

You’re way better than Middleton!

14. Leashieloo says:

Looks delicious! I just got back from London and I wish I could just move there!

15. Love this recipe!! And your Prince William is definitely out there!! 😀

16. i know you shall find your prince charming soon! hey, Harry is still single 😉
    you nailed this one! love this flavor GIRL!

1. Haha he IS cute… but I don’t know if I can keep up with his energy. I mean, have you seen his incredible charity work? Trips to Antarctica?! He needs someone tireless… like you ;).

17. Emily says:

Cute!! That looks delicious!

18. emma says:

I watched the wedding and Kate looked beautiful. She’s gonna be great 🙂 British desserts…..hmmm…..over here you see a lot of fruit crumbles, sticky toffee pudding, scones with clotted cream, Shortbread, good old carrot and choccie cake, spotted dick(!) , pavlova, apple pie and custard/cream…..the list goes on! i”l make scones and put them on my site to show you what it’s all about here in England 🙂

1. Yayyayyay! Yes, show me how it’s done… and then make a recipe for vegan toffee!! 😉 And lol what on earth is spotted dick? I’ve heard of it, but never looked it up. Off to google…

1. hahaha i’ve always wondered what spotted dick was too..

1. Little Bookworm says:

It’s a sponge pudding with currents/sultanas and some spices in it (like cinnamon?). 🙂

19. Love this recipe! I may make it tonight. I have been expecting ol’ prince charming to walk through the door any day now but alas, still single. So thank goodness your recipes exist. I also love your “Life in Cupcakes” post. So clever! I say you go for Prince Harry. I think he’s a cutie 😉

1. Ooh I agree he’s cute… and he always looks like he’s up to something!

20. Best single lady cupcake spin-off so far, can’t wait to make this 🙂
    I’ve had to make a last-minute and panicked attempt at a royal wedding-themed recipe as well!