Healthy Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies {NO flour!}

So a blonde walks into a bar. Or in this case, the blonde is the bar! I’d tell you these Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies are healthy. But then, if you try them, you will think I am a liar and never believe another word I say. If you taste the chickpea blondies, you won’t believe they’re healthy!

Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies

Smart blondes do exist

Low in calories, rich in omega-3s, and gluten-free… These healthy blondies might just be the smartest blondies in the world. A new addition to the archives of Healthy Cookies – Over 100 Healthy Cookies Recipes

white bean blondies

For the past year, I’ve been seeing “black bean brownie” recipes popping up all over the blogworld. At first, I thought about joining in on the fun. (Edit: I eventually did end up doing a chocolate version. My healthy brownie recipe can be found by clicking on the following post: Black Bean Brownies.)

But I really enjoy putting a different, creative spin on old trends. Hmmm… now how to put a new spin on black bean brownies? The answer was so simple, even a blonde could have thought of it: White Bean Blondies! And they have no eggs and no flour! The resulting chickpea blondies are so moist and fudgey.

Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 can, drained and rinsed) (250g after draining)
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • level 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar (See note below, for substitutions)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup ground flax or quick oats (20g)
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter or allergy-friendly alternative
  • optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips (Not “optional” if you’re CCK!)
Total Time: 30m
Yield: 8x8 pan

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients (except chips) until very smooth in a good food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and scoop into a greased (or parchment-lined) 8×8 pan. Optional: for “prettiness” you can stick some chocolate chips on top of the batter as well. Bake for around 30 minutes. They’ll look a little undercooked when you take them out, but they firm up as they cool, and you don’t want them to get hard.

View Chickpea Blondies Nutrition Information

*Sugar note: I also made a batch using stevia, which I thought were delicious! But my friends informed me they tasted like bars of soap. Therefore, I’ll keep making the stevia version, but just for myself… a tray of blondies all to oneself is never a bad thing! (Edit: commenters have had success with subbing the sugar with xylitol, evaporated cane juice, or coconut sugar. Please feel free to try any of the ideas people have left in the comment section. However, I can only vouch for the results if you make the recipe as written.)

healthy blondies

Since the they have garbanzo beans, I could’ve called them “hummus blondies.”

But um, ewww? 😉
Time for a serious discussion…

I have a sneaky suspicion that many so-called “dumb blondes” are not really as dumb as they seem. They just act dumb for attention and because they think guys think it’s cute. Sadly, it seems, they’re often right. Many guys are intimidated by smart girls and therefore find ditziness attractive.

Look at Jessica Simpson and Paris Hilton. I’d argue these girls are much smarter than their actions convey. Both have played up the dumb-blonde image in order to make names for themselves, and Jessica Simpson even scored contracts with Pizza Hut and Chicken of the Sea as direct results of dumb-blonde moments. (It’s not just blondes, either. Think of Snooki!)

Did you know any of these girls in high school? I remember the notorious dumb blonde in my high school once remarking, Wait, wood comes from trees? I thought they made wood in factories!” Yet this girl was in accelerated math and English classes, as well as in the top 10% of the class. Something didn’t equate… or did it? After such statements as these, the boys always laughed. This girl was not dumb; she knew airhead remarks such as the above would win her popularity and romance. On the other hand, girls who are studious, eloquent, and assertive are often labeled as nerds (or worse).

Link Of The Day:

Vegan-Banana-Pudding_thumb

50+ Healthy Banana Recipes

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. A) These are amazing. You could just add cocoa powder and have a healthy PB brownie too!

B) I definitely agree the these famously dumb blondes are smart. They have to be to have made a fortune by being dumb! 🙂 Those girls in HS drove me nuts. My reunion is next month and I cannot wait to see what they’re doing now. Watch them be aerospace engineers or something. LOL!

1. Emily K. says:

Haha either that or divorced with ten kids from three different husbands and wrinkled from tanning beds (not that I’m judging. I went through the bad tanning bed phase in hs too embarrassingly enough).

2. Adding cocoa powder sounds great to me…

2. Lenna says:

Those blondies are really genius!! I love chickpeas, I love healthy sweets, so you really made my day:)
    I´ve met many “not-that-bright” blonde girls, who were actually pretty clever, but they realized something I never got right – that men have a weak spot for naive, airheaded and a little dumb, but attractive girls. They make them feel more like the strong, protective huntsmen they want to be:)

3. Carie says:

You are a genius! I might make these today!

1. Emily K. says:

Me too! 🙂

4. Vicki says:

Quick question – do just throw in the can of drained/rinsed chickpeas or should I blend them up in the food processor first?

Thanks for the great recipe – on my “to bake” list this weekend.

1. I don’t bother blending them first. Just throw all the ingredients in at the same time and then blend :). But perhaps if you blend the chickpeas separately first, it’ll speed up the time it takes to get the mixture smooth? So really, you can do it either way!

1. Ally says:

Do you mean blend with a blender or hand mixer?

1. Angie says:

Are you a blonde??? 😉
          The recipe states “blend in a FOOD PROCESSOR.”

1. Natasha says:

That’s rude! How disgusting- get off Katie’s blog, you bully! You have some nerve!

5. Emily says:

Mmmmmmmm!!! I’ve used chickpea flour in brownies but never chickpeas! I bet these are so much more moist. And uh, blondies have more fun! If I make them I’m calling them Lady GaGarbanzo Bean Blondies.

1. Oh my word LOL! I love your name!!

1. leah says:

I RECENTLY Was introduced to ur blog and i love it! ur awesome making these today

6. Picky Nicky says:

I’ve fallen into the ditzy trap… 🙁 I was always pretty smart but I was so insecure about it because it really set me apart from all my friends. I remember when we were just learning about exponents in school the question was what is 5 to the power of 2. Everyone wrote 10, except me who wrote 25 but I ended up being so shy about being the only one with the right answer that I erased it and wrote 10…….
    Now that I’m more mature I’ve learned to embrace my brain 🙂 And smart girls can be cute too!! I wish I knew that in 6th grade though!

7. Meadow says:

Did you ever try using Palm Sugar (coconut sugar) as a sugar substitute? I keep reading about the health benefits.

1. Sheena says:

I used palm sugar today (and coconut butter instead of PB) and they turned out ready crumbly. Do they stay together better with brown sugar and PB… or stevia and PB?

I still don’t mind eating them though 🙂

1. Maybe the coconut butter made it crumbly? I’ve never tried them with palm sugar, so I don’t know 😕

1. Liz H says:

I’ve made these multiple times with coconut sugar and peanut butter and they were delicious and not at all crumbly!

2. Erin says:

It’s probably the coconut butter. When you bake with coconut flour, you have to increase the liquid as the coconut flour absorbs A LOT. If you want to keep using the coconut based products, I’d up your liquid by maybe half again as much.

8. Emily K. says:

LOL at hummus blondies!!!
    Katie, YOU’RE a genius, and I’m making these today! 🙂

9. AHH this is possibly one of my FAV recipes ever on CCK!!
    YES i do know those dumb blondes… I can only think of one.. and Im actually really good friends with her and shes REALLY smart and An amazing person! idk why she acts dumb sometimes- it used to be worse!

10. Leslie says:

I hate that stereotype! And I get so mad when girls perpetuate it by acting so dumb. I AM a blonde, and I’ve struggled to prove that we can be smart and to be taken seriously my WHOLE life!

Oh, and I agree with everyone else. These blondies are gorgeous and I am going to have to make them! And your photography gets better by the MINUTE!

11. Shannon says:

Oooooh these look delicious… and they’re gluten free? Well, I’ll be making these then!

12. Emily says:

I honestly can’t stand girls and women who behave that way. I have to argue though, that there are plenty of men who are looking for women of the same intellect level as them. Especially those who want a serious relationship, it’s no fun if you can’t discuss current events or world issues with your significant other! In my opinions at least. 🙂

Anyway, those blondies look great! I’m a little skeptical to be honest but I’m intrigued enough that I will probably make them! This is the same way I felt about cookie dough hummus and that turned out well. 😀

13. No joke, I am making these RIGHT NOW!! I’ll tell you how much I love them in a bit… 😀

1. Ooooo I hope you like them!!!!

1. Ohmygosh I LOVE them!! I’ve eaten sooo many already and they are YUMMY!! You are a GENIUS!!!! 😀

1. Oh my gosh are you serious?! You already made them?!? How are you so incredible, Emma? Really, how? I am so excited you liked them! You made my Wednesday 🙂 :).

1. N’awww you made MY Wednesday by creating these- they are SO delish!! 😀 <3

14. lauren says:

I’ve called the “dumb blonde” act since it started. Especially when Jessica Simpson coined it. I’d think anyone that successful couldn’t be that dumb. However, as I’ve gone through my college career, I have noticed that legitimately bright people seem to be few and far between :/

Love your blog!

1. Aww thank you so much, Lauren!

15. Kate says:

Hmm… I’d debate if these “blonde moments” are put on. I have a PhD in Chemistry and I still sometimes find the simplest of tasks such as constructing coherent sentences, crossing roads and simple mental arithmetic a little tricky.

Brilliant recipe though – can’t wait to get out of the lab to try it!

1. Vivian says:

These are delicious! I added a whole teaspoon of cinnamon to mine. I also found that the texture and flavor only get better after sitting out for a day (and up to three so far), especially if they seem underbaked at first. I tried modifying to make brownies, and accidentally overbaked them; definitely err on the side of underdone as Katie suggested.

2. I am in the same boat as you. I’m about to start a PhD in Biology but everyone always makes fun of how I talk. I’m always smashing sentences together or flipping nouns around or (worse yet) talking like I’m from Missour-ah.

I usually just tell people my brain works faster than my mouth. 🙂

1. Pamela says:

. . . which is probably true (brain works faster than mouth). In our house have even coined a phrase for the phenomenon: “I can’t English today.” 🙂

0/5

0/5

3. Lenore says:

I agree; we all have our dumb moments. I have a graduate degree, earned straight As, but when I’m just not thinking along certain lines, the obvious is NOT so obvious! And by the way, I was about 30 years old before I understood that you had to peel an onion. I never cooked with them until then (very picky eater until later in life; now I eat everything and can cook much better) so how would I know!
      However, most of the time I am quite brilliant in my creative problem-solving skills. Einstein was a social idiot, ya know…We all have our moments. Let’s embrace them and use them for a good laugh!

4. Alexis says:

LOL! I love this comment! I totally agree, I’m a civil engineer, graduated 7th in my class, and some things just fly right over my head :-/ Not dumb, but I’ve definitely fallen victim to “dumb blonde” comments and remarks. (Which by the way blonde haters, are hurtful!) I’m willing to bet that females of every hair color can be just as air-headed. Women should support women, no matter what hair color, body type, ethnicity, or whatever you are!

16. Kat says:

I admit to sometimes having “dumb blonde” moments. And when I was younger I definitely did use my blondness to get attention. But I’m trying to learn that the types of guys who pay attention to my “dumbness” aren’t even the types of guys I WANT to attract!
    Now those smart blondies of yours, I could really get on board with those. All I need are the flaxseeds, and I just put them on my grocery list! 🙂

17. Haley says:

These looks amazing! Have you ever thought about writing a cookbook?

1. There is a cookbook in the works ;). I haven’t publicly announced it yet, but I’ve told so many people that it isn’t really a secret anymore. I am so bad at keeping a secret! 😕

1. WHAAAAAAAT aaaah I am so so so so so so so so excited EXCITED!!! I did NOT know this!! Seriously Katie I am actually bursting with excitement right now you have NO IDEA!! I think I need to lie down! AAAAAH SO EXCITING I can’t wait to hear more!!! 😀

1. You are too sweet, Emma. Of course you will be getting a free copy. You’re my #1 taste-tester!!!

1. Aww you are SUCH a sweetie, but honestly you don’t need to because I want to pay and support you! You deserve it and you’re gonna be a MILLIONAIRE 🙂

2. Penny says:

I agree with Emma. So far made 2 recipes and loved them both. You’re amazing Katie!

18. I hate when girls dumb themselves down for guys. In the long run, it really does you no good. I totally agree that people like Jessica Simpson only put on an act with their so-called “dumbness”. Pretty brilliant ploy seeing how much she made off of it.

Those blondies look absolutely fantastic!!! Could they be made without the flax?? I have everything on hand except for that.

1. Maybe you could use flour in place of the flax? I’m not sure… but hey, if it doesn’t firm up you’ll still be left with a yummy gooey mess to devour! Let me know how it goes, if you do try it!

19. Jenny says:

I’m. Making. These. They look and sound awesome, so I bet they are. Thanks AGAIN for another new recipe!

I’m a blonde myself – one of the studious ones, though I’ve never been labelled as “nerdy”, I’ve probably scared off a few guys with my previous, unfortunate dedication to school. 😛

I did know a couple of “dumb blonde”-type girls in middle school that were quite sought after. I guess guys like to feel a certain superiority over their girlfriends/wives/significant other? I think there’ve been studies into that sort of thing, actually, haha! I’ve heard it can put a bit of strain on a relationship if the two involved aren’t on equal footing (in terms of education, income, whatever), though…

For me, Paris Hilton is a bona fide dumb blonde, though I’ve wondered about Jessica Simpson myself…

20. Oh my gosh, I cannot wait to try these!