Prepare to fall head-over-heels in love with these ooey gooey rich dark chocolate chickpea brownies.
Brownies… made from chickpeas???!
I know the concept sounds completely crazy.
But if you’ve tried any of my bean-based dessert recipes (especially the deep dish cookie pie!), you probably already know that the results can not only taste just as good as traditional butter-and-flour desserts, they’re often even better.
The beans add a softness and moisture to the texture that you just can’t get from flour, and people who don’t already know the secret ingredient ahead of time are seriously never able to guess!
Currently Trending: Banana Recipes – 30 Healthy Ideas
Flourless Chocolate Chickpea Brownies
These brownies are a combination of two reader favorites:
In other words, it’s the perfect recipe for anyone who hates making decisions.
They’re also great if you’re following a whole food plant based diet, because you can easily make the brownies oil-free without sacrificing any of the rich texture or decadent chocolate flavor.
Try frosting them with my Healthy Chocolate Frosting
The brownies are so deeply fudgy they honestly don’t even need any frosting at all.
I decided to add some because it makes them look much prettier, and also because I will never pass up an excuse to add an obscene amount of chocolate to a recipe any time the opportunity presents itself.
I’m Chocolate Covered Katie for a reason.
(Above – Watch the video of making the chickpea brownies)
Have leftover chickpeas?
Or, you know, just make more brownies…
Also try these Chocolate Coconut Fudge Bars
Chocolate Chickpea Brownies
- 1 can chickpeas or white beans
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp dutch cocoa or additional regular
- 1/3 cup flour (white, oat, spelt, almond, sorghum, etc.)
- 3 tbsp milk of choice or applesauce
- 3 tbsp oil or nut butter of choice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp each: salt and baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar (for refined-sugar-free, try these Black Bean Brownies)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips - not optional (omit at own risk)
- To make the brownies: Drain and rinse beans very well. Preheat oven to 330 F. Grease or line an 8-inch pan. Combine all ingredients in a food processor until completely smooth (I use this food processor). A blender can technically work, but both taste and texture will be better in a food processor. Spread into pan. If desired, sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top. Bake on the center rack 14 minutes, then chill the still-underbaked brownies until firm. They taste better the next day, so I highly recommend not sneaking a taste until then! If desired, frost with melted chocolate chips or my healthy chocolate frosting recipe linked above in this post.View Nutrition Facts
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram
More Healthy Brownie Recipes
(No crazy ingredients!)
You know, I can remember a time when there were zero brownie recipes on my blog? How things have changed!