Hot Fudge Brownie Larabars

Another chocolate recipe?

My goodness, you’d think this was some sort of chocolate-covered blog.

Oh wait; that’s right. It is.

homemade larabars

The first time I tried a Larabar, I didn’t really like it. My mistake was in choosing a cherry-flavored bar. Someone should’ve shaken me and said, Hello! Of course you didn’t like it, Katie. It has no chocolate!”

When I tried a Jocalat chocolate Larabar, it was love at first bite. As a busy college student with no time to bake brownies, these bars offered a quick cure for my chocolate cravings (or a stopgap anyway. I doubt I will ever find a cure for my chocoholism… but that’s perfectly ok with me!)

Recently, I’ve been having trouble locating Jocalats. Thank goodness I know how to make my own chocolate Larabars.

fudge larabars

Plus, they’re cheaper than store-bought and save packaging too.

Hot Fudge Brownie Larabars

Based on the recipe for Fudge Babies.

• 1 cup walnuts (120 g)
  • 1 and 1/3 cups pitted dates (220 g) (I love SunMaid dates, as they’re much softer.)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3-4 tbsp cocoa powder (or even Dutch cocoa)
  • optional: 1/8 plus 1/16 tsp salt (I always add it)
  • optional: chocolate chips or even a piece of a chocolate bar or baking chocolate

Blend all the ingredients, using a food processor or Magic Bullet. No need to blend the dates first; I just blend everything all at once in my MB. If you use drier dates than SunMaid, you might have to add up to 1 tbsp water. Form into bars. It might help to put dough in a plastic bag and close the bag, then shape into a bar. (Feel free to experiment with different nut combinations. I often sub almonds or cashews for some of the walnuts.)

Click for more flavors: Homemade Larabar Recipes.

chocolate fudge larabars

What are your favorite Larabar flavors?

One of my favorite homemade larabar flavors: Homemade Oatmeal Cookie Larabars.

As for the real Larabars, my favorite flavors are the plain chocolate Jocalats and the cookie dough Larabars. I love making up my own flavors and am thinking chocolate-raspberry might have to be next! Any other flavor suggestions for homemade Larabar recipes you’d like to see?

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. I want to eat these right now! And I kind of want to cover them in peanut butter!

2. Sarah says:

My favorite Larabar flavor is actually YOUR cashew cookie recipe!
    Seriuosly! It’s 10 times better than the packaged cashew cookie flavor. Anyone reading this, GO MAKE Katie’s cashew cookie larabars RIGHT AWAY!!!!

1. Sarah says:

** seriously

2. Aw lol thanks, Sarah! I love that flavor too! Haven’t made it in a while!! 😕

1. Kelly M. says:

Its my favorite too…and my husbands!

1. Meg says:

Gonna have to agree 110% 😉

1. Wow, I LOVE y’all!!! You’re all too sweet!! :)

2. Mimi says:

I can’t find that recipe… the cashew cookie larabar! I have been scouring your blog, bc I would LOVE to try it, but can’t find it :-(

3. Mimi says:

Oh no trouble!! THANK YOU!

3. Hana says:

These look delicious! 😀 What brand of cocoa powder do you normally use?

1. I either use Dagoba or plain ole Hersheys :)

4. I’ve never tried a larabar before! But they sound so delicious! They’re not sold here :-(

5. VeggieGirl says:

My favorite Larabar is Peanut Butter Cookie, but THAT one is now my new favorite just by looking at it 😀

6. And my favorite Larabar is the chocolate chip peanut butter cookie. BIG SURPRISE, I know!

7. Jenny says:

I, too, love Larabars! My first one ever was the apple one, and that’s actually still my favourite one, even after trying most of the rest (excluding the coconut ones). I love warming them up a little bit… They taste like fresh-from-the-oven cookies that way, in my opinion. I’ll eat dairy-free vanilla ice cream with a warmed apple-flavoured Larabar as a special treat, sometimes. It’s like eating apple pie, I swear.

I’ve started to make my own, though, using your recipes! The ‘packaged’ ones are awesome, but admittedly a bit pricey. The ones I make from your recipes are just as good, if not – as you’ve pointed out – better because they taste even fresher! And, of course, you can customize them. :)

8. Melanie says:

I’ve never been a big fan of packaged bars of any kind, because they are…well in a package. Thanks for providing a different option. I haven’t made any of these yet but I plan to. Just as soon as I get some dates. =)

9. A. Cook says:

Making your own Larabars–SUCH a good idea! I can only imagine it would save a ton of money, which I’m all about these days. I actually saw on Barefoot Contessa the other day that she makes her own vanilla extract, a giant jar at a time, and apparently it keeps indefinitely. I’m definitely going to start doing that too!
    Also, the Ginger Snap Larabars are one of my faves. I bet they’d be easy to make!

10. Tricia says:

Yummy :) My favorite larabars are definately either the chocolate chip cookie dough or the coconut cream pie 😛

11. Darn I saw Jocolats when I was in the US but didn’t buy any because I remember a blogger (haha I thought it was you! :P) saying they didn’t like them much!! Never mind, cos now i can make YOUR version!! Just need to get some walnuts and I will be making these SOON, you’ll see! 😀

P.S. I ordered a mold so I can make your fudgsicles yaaaay!!!

1. I don’t like any of the Jocalat flavors EXCEPT plain chocolate, which is awesome-sauce ;).

Also, your tweet was the SWEETEST! I will answer soon!!!

12. Beth says:

I can’t wait to try this! I like the Ginger Snap and Apple Pie Larabars.

13. Gen says:

Yum! Those look really good!!! Is there anything that I could use instead of the dates, though…..no one sells them here! :(

1. Some people have used raisins… I can’t personally vouch for that, though. But it could be fun to experiment. Or maybe prunes?

14. Meredith Bessey says:

I love Larabars soo much, but wish the Jocalat flavours were available in Canada! They’re also a bit more expensive, and don’t keep me as full, as Clif bars, so I’ve been buying more Clif bars lately! These homemade ones look awesome though – I prefer the non-chocolate Larabars, like apple pie and peanut butter cookie, but the peanut butter chocolate chip is pretty yummy too!

15. Haha, OMG you did get a ton of comments on that post – but for real, it IS the best giveaway ever! 😉 I like the peanut butter cookie Larabars.

16. Desiree says:

These would be great to make a batch of with the school year starting soon, something to grab on those days where you need to run out the door. Do you know how long they keep for, or if they can be frozen?

1. They keep for at least a week… or they CAN be frozen for months!

17. Angela says:

I have never tried a Larabar because when I read the ingredients I think, “hey, I can do that myself”, and then put it back. Plus, I’ve had these in the form of fudge babies and really don’t think a packaged bar could get any better than these homemade treats.

18. Barb says:

How do your larabars compare nutritionally to regular larabars? They look so delicious, I’m adding these to my list of things to make from your blog (which I have become an avid follower of the past months!)

1. The ones I’ve calculated are actually a little bit less than regular larabars… but pretty comparable, gram for gram. (I.e. maybe like 180-190c instead of 220, but pretty close!)