My Recipes in Pictures

Click on the pictures to see each recipe:

1   healthy-fudge-pops 2   pumpkin-pie-bar_thumb_3

Use your Imagination

As a very young girl, I thought the concept of a pictureless book sounded terribly boring. Once I learned how to read, I obviously discovered this wasn’t true; anyone who’s ever created elaborate characters in his/her head, only to be disappointed by a book-turned-movie, knows the incredible power of imagination.

However, when it comes to cookbooks, I’d still rather see photos.

vegan-blueberry-muffin   0   raw-cookie-dough-balls_thumb

findingphotographytips   mint_thumb_thumb   CSC_0866_thumb

(Once again, the pictures are actually links.)

My goal is to one day have a photo for every recipe on my recipe page. But in the meantime, I set up a Pinterest board for the recipes:

The board can be found here: My Recipes in Pictures.

Question of the Day:

Are you ever disappointed by movie versions of your favorite books?

Or are you ever upset when you imagined a character differently than the movie portrays? I think, as a rule, books are better than movies. The Da Vinci Code, Memoirs of a Geisha, White Oleander… Oh, and one of my absolute-favorite books: Gone with the Wind. They left so much out of the movie version! What happened to Scarlett’s son?!

Luckily, I think the Harry Potter movies got better as they went along. But still, I remember being so disappointed—initially—when the characters were different from how I’d imagined them. How dare they! Winking smile

Also, do y’all have a Pinterest page? Right now, I only have the board of my recipes. I’ve restrained myself from making another board; the whole idea seems very dangerous. I could waste hours on that site! (If you do have a board, and you want me to follow it, just let me know. I’d be happy to follow anyone wishing for another follower.)

Tags:

1. I am headed to pinterest to follow your board! Love your pictures!

2. I’m such a nerd and I have always loved to read. I got over the picture thing quickly because I started reading early, but I totally agree about cookbook pictures! And the only Pinterest board I have is my recipes too. I think it’ll be a slippery slope!

3. Beth says:

I am on Pinterest, and you’ll see some of your photos on my food board! :)

4. Pictures are a must in cookbooks… Some of my very favorites have a picture of every recipe. Your photos are amazing girl!

5. I was really disappointed by the movie Eat, Pray, Love because I absolutely loved the book. And I’m not letting myself sign up either! I know it would be the biggest timesuck ever eek!

6. Natasha says:

Happy Friday Katie –

Well as an avid “reader” I’m torn – eg. – I love foreign film – and something I can sink my teeth into on a literal level – BUT I’m super visual – hence I adore your site :) It gives me both…
    I loved the trilogy – The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – the books and the movies were incredible and left me wanting more…
    I suppose it’s subjective….but being a SCI-FI/Fantasy/Documentary girl – I’ve had a hard time outside of Harry Potter and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo reading frivilously – add Lord of the Rings in there Ok – I’m done.

7. KATIE! Congrats on tackling such a huge project :) All the pictures just make me want to 1. stop drooling 2. get my butt in the kitchen to whip up some dessert… before 8 am. You’re amazing, keep it up!

8. Jaclyn says:

Hi Katie-
    I just found your site yesterday through pinterest! I am already in love and have signed up for your emails! It is hard to believe you have held back from making more boards…it is addicting! You can check out all my boards here: http://pinterest.com/jaclynrubino/

9. w says:

I made your pumpkin cream cheese bars but they kinda failed and I have absolutely no clue why!!!! :( i followed the recipe very closely but my batter was way to little to fill an 8×8 inch pan. In the end, they turned out as pumpkin panckes!! It still tasted delicious though, just that they were not what I had expected. Any facing similar problems??

1. Hmmm, that is strange. You’re the first one to tell me they haven’t worked out :(. Can you tell me exactly what specific ingredients you used?

1. w says:

I blended quakers instant oats to get oat flour. Flax egg, 4TBS raw cane sugar (instead of 5TBS, I cut downa little), cooked and mashed pumpkin, almond milk, coconut oil, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon, vanilla extract. The only thing I didn’t have was pumpkin pie spice and I followed all the measurements except for the sugar. Any clue why it went wrong katie? :(

1. I might have an idea of what could’ve happened: Did you measure the oats before blending? A cup of oats will not make a cup of oat flour. Could that possibly be the issue?

1. w says:

Nope, I measured the oat flour and not the oats. Do you think it’s because I used instant oats instead of rolled oats? I kinda think the prooblem lies with the flour too because I only managed to make a small amount of batter, probably about half the 8×8 pan so it turned out really thin like pancakes. And thanks so much for taking time to read and reply comments!! That’s really sweet of you! :)

2. I just feel really badly that it didn’t work for you! Yeah, the only thing I can think of is that maybe oats have too much air and are too airy… the one time I tried it with oat flour, I used Bob’s. I’d suggest trying it with spelt or ww pastry flour if you can. (Or a gf mix like Pamelas if you can’t have gluten). I hope it works for you!!

10. Jess says:

I agree about harry potter; even my mother thought that last movie was better than the others. i’m not surprised this stuff happens though; movies try to be 2 hrs or less, whereas a book might have to span several hours to cover everything, so they leave stuff out. it’s a shame really, b/c some of that stuff actually s important to people. i stopped reading harry potter after like, the 4th book (it’s spine broke) about 8 or so years ago (i was introduced to harry potter 12 years ago), so i just sorta catch up with the movies. weird thing s, i own every book, and i have yet to see PoA (the movie). anyway, i didn’t know where this snape/lily was coming from, until i saw the deathly hallows pt 2, but i imagine there was more depth they neglecting even earlier than that.

btw, nice pics; sorta making me hungry. i love food, and pics of food. good luck

11. I agree with you about the books being better than the movies … and I agree that HP got better as it went on, but it still wasn’t AS good. Books are so descriptive and really allow for you to use your imagination. Maybe that’s why we enjoy reading?

12. Megan says:

I love that you have pictures for everything! I feel the same way about cookbooks, I really want to see a picture of how the dish should look. I agree with the Harry Potter movies too! They did get better, although they still left out so much! I thought the Lord of the Rings movies were very well done, which is probably why they had to make them so long and with extended editions! I have seen a preview of the Hunger Games movie and the characters aren’t as I pictured, which is disappointing. Books are SO much better than movies! I am reading Les Miserables and movies do not do it justice!

1. Wow, so funny that you mentioned Les Mis! I actually had mentioned that in my first draft, but I edited it out. It’s one of my all-time favorite books, and I agree 100% about the movies!

2. Amelia says:

I agree with the Les Miserables book. Also Phantom of the Opera! (although I also think the movie is amazing) There’s so much in that book. Everyone who love the movie should definitely read the books, it’s very interesting to read the stories behind the characters.

13. I just started following your blog (I found it on Pinterest, actually!) and I love it! :) Count me in as a new Pinterest follower. You can find my pins here: http://pinterest.com/iftoyscouldtalk/

14. Melissa says:

Are you just the nicest, sweetest, cutest person ever??? I heart you, Katie. Seriously, you are such a doll! Have a great weekend!

1. Aww no, YOU are the sweetest!! :)

15. I was very disappointed by Percy Jackson: Lightning Thief & Twilight movies (although Twilight is getting better) – I wish they wouldn’t do the movie version until they could really do it right. Otherwise I spend the entire movie frustrated, and my poor husband has to hear me keep muttering under my breath. :)

1. I heard Twilight got better too… I hated the first one so much that I never watched another, but maybe I ought to give it a second chance.

16. Jenny says:

Oh my… Too many beautiful pictures in one place (your Pinterest board. I don’t use Pinterest… because I’m afraid of becoming addicted! Unfortunately no time for that at the moment, with school and whatnot!

I am a huge bookworm, so yes, I’d definitely agree that books are better than their movie counterparts. I’ve read Dracula, and most of the Draculas in the movies are quite different than how I thought he was conveyed in the book… I’m afraid they’ll make Artemis Fowl into a movie. I like my imagined version of Artemis! I agree about Harry Potter, too; at first I was miffed… but by the second movie, I was actually already very satisfied and quite taken with all of the actors and actresses. :)

1. That’s exactly why I’m not starting a pinterest board (aside from the one of just my recipes). I’m scared of getting addicted and never wanting to leave the site! 😉

17. oh i just love your pictures <3

i think movies are NEVER as good as the books. So glad you mentioned White Oleander because so many people raved about that movie, but if you had read the book, it was horrible. The Da Vinci code is another great example, I feel like if I hadn't had read the book I would have had NO idea what was going on. And don't get me started on Harry Potter. haha.

18. Sarah says:

I get disappointing all the time *sigh* but, i think that its sorta a credit to the author. I mean, they made their story so captivating, so colorful, and so rich that it was worthy of a movie, but it was just too good for people to make into a single movie. That’s how i see it when i’m disapponted. After I read the Narnia books, we watched the BBC version for the first time. Up to that point, i had never seen a Narnia movie. I WAS HORRIBLY DISAPPOINTED. Aslan looked like a puppet and Lucy wasn’t cute and Susan wasn’t pretty :( Then we saw the Disney version! Though not perfect, i loved it so much! Then there is the Little Women movie i wasn’t crazy about. I have to say though, this year’s Jane Eyre was pretty good! I have not seen The Help, but i hear its a winner- anyone who has seen it, please tell me how it was!

19. Oh Pinterest is my fave! I am on it – http://www.pinterest.com/annawootton – would love another follower! Can’t wait to check out yours!

1. Following you! LOVE your hair!

20. Jill says:

On almost all books, I completely agree with you on the book/movie thing. There is one exception I have found…P.S. I Love you was a great movie, but I thought it was not a very good book (in my opinion)! I was so disappointed because I thought the book would be really good, based on the movie. I am currently reading The Help and look forward to seeing the movie when I’m done!