Single Serving Mocha Chocolate Cake

cake for one

The rich chocolate mug cake displayed before your very eyes can be made in under 5 minutes.

And it serves just one person.

Unless you’re crazy and decide to share…

single serving cake

You’re not crazy, are you?

Yeah, me neither. 😉

When I heard today was National Coffee Break Day, my first thought was to write a post highlighting all of my previously-published coffee recipes. But then I decided posting a new recipe would be much more fun… especially if said new recipe involved coffee and chocolate! (Chocolate is always more fun.)

So I came up with something I’d been meaning to try for a while: a mocha version of the popular One-Minute Chocolate Cake:

cake for one

One Minute Mocha Mug Cake

Topped with Homemade 4 Ingredient Ice Cream.

• 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp cocoa powder
  • 3 tbsp spelt, white, or Arrowhead Mills gf flour
  • 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules, decaf if desired
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp granulated sugar or xylitol
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 1 additional tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp coconut or veg oil (Edit: many commenters have said it still tastes good if you sub applesauce or mashed banana. I can’t personally vouch for the results if you make that substitution.)
  • 3 tbsp milk of choice
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Combine dry ingredients and mix very, very well. Add liquid, stir, then transfer to a little dish, ramekin, or even a coffee mug. If using a microwave, cook 45-50 seconds (or more, depending on how powerful your microwave is). If using an oven: cook at 350F for about 14 minutes. If you don’t want to eat it straight out of the dish, be sure to spray your dish first (and then wait for the cake to cool before trying to remove it).

See the original version for: Mug Cake Calories and Nutrition Facts.

coffee

In honor of today, serve with Copycat Healthy Starbucks Frappuccinos.

What are your favorite sources of caffeine?

Coffee? Tea? Chocolate? If you don’t already know mine, you must have forgotten what blog you are on!

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Yeeeeeeeees. Chocolate AND coffee? Sign this girl up! Love single serving portions too, makes it less guilty than whipping up a huge tray of something and then “needing” to eat it all before it goes bad. 😉

1. That is exactly what gets me too! Sure, I can eat one serving when I make a big batch of something. But I just can’t waste it by throwing it out when it gets old and stale! Glad I’m not the only one with the logic of finishing it off so it doesn’t go bad!

2. Lily says:

Looks awesome. I am definitely making this tonight! (And not sharing…)

3. Jess says:

Mm… chocolate covered coffee beans. Or dark chocolate, VERY dark chocolate, i.e. 95-99% dark chocolate.

1. totally agree on the chocolate covered coffee beans, they’re the best of both caffeine worlds 😉

4. Jess says:

ps – this looks absolutely decadent. Too bad we already have a chocolate-lemon cake in the fridge that needs devouring c:

5. Anna Lynn says:

As I sit here and drink my huge sugar-free, skim-milk fru-fru coffee drink from my favorite local coffee shop, I can safely say that I am a coffee addict! This year, I began drinking it in some form everyday…probably not the greatest (or healthiest!) idea, but my schedule is insane and the caffeine is a lifesaver some days! This recipe makes me incredibly happy because I love chocolate just as much as I do coffee so seeing this combination definitely made my morning!

6. I love all of your single serving items! They are so perfect for me to make in the evening when I’m craving a good dessert! And I have a cup of coffee every morning!

7. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Coffee and chocolate. Hello, sugar high! Maybe you can do a coffee and chocolate ice cream? Or cupcake?

8. Chocolate for sure! Looks great 🙂

9. Rachael says:

I know this might sound crazy but can I make this recipe without the coffee? What would I sub? I’m not a coffee fan and don’t keep any coffee around!

1. Rachael says:

Ok thanks! Sorry I didn’t find that myself, I just came across your blog recently and am still exploring it:). Last question, could almond or coconut flour be used instead?

1. datallbrunette11 says:

I just took out the coffee and it was good! I’m not a coffee fan either!

10. I know that sharing is what is right but I am totally into eating this all by myself! Mmmmmm!
    I’m a coffee and tea fan! Coffee will always win out though! 🙂

11. I love coffee-flavoured things! But I can’t stand coffee itself (too bitter for my palette). So my favourite sources of caffeine are coke and chocolate and tea 😀 I’m not too good at sharing either. This looks perfect! 😀

12. Celeste O says:

Can I used brewed coffee somehow? I don’t keep instant coffee in the house, just regular coffee.

1. JennT says:

Yeah, you can. Just sub half or all the milk/liquid for strong brewed coffee. The flavor may end up a little weaker or stronger (I’m not sure how the ratios work) but it should get you pretty close.

13. Zoe says:

I am stuck in my house due to snow and freezing rain. Feeling a little sorry for myself and needing something to make me feel better…yep – this is exactly what I needed!

14. Emilia says:

Yum! this looks so good, I love the combination of chocolate and coffee. Coffee (preferably high-quality and maybe single origin) is definitely my favorite source of caffeine, though chocolate does come in a close second 🙂

15. OMG, I’m soooooooooo in need of a cup of coffee right now. I have four days left in my 21-day cleanse and the thing I miss the most is coffee. I’ve been so tired all month. I need caffeine to survive.

16. Chelsea says:

Oh gosh, Katie! Be still my heart. 🙂 Hmmmm, I don’t have a microwave, so what would you recommend for oven temps and times? Will the cake still be as fudgy? Newly preggo and craving chocolate and carbs…can’t wait!

1. Sorry, I don’t know. I’ve never made it in the oven. I’m sure the texture will still be the same, though :).

1. Cindy says:

It pains me to read recipes that need a microwave (insert loud wailing here).

1. It doesn’t NEED a microwave. Just because I haven’t tried it in the oven doesn’t mean it can’t be done ;).
          I know that, for the original version, others have used the oven as well as toaster ovens.

2. Sapphire says:

try setting the oven at 350, and keep a close eye on the cake. Check it after about 7 minutes, and if it needs more baking time, check again at 10. See if that works.

17. Aja says:

Why would you be crazy and share? Looks so good. I need to make something like that.

18. Mmmmh,I love the combination of coffe & chocolate,so this sounds awesome to me! I definitely need to try this! 🙂