Melty Pizza Hummus

It’s hummus.

hummus

But it tastes like pizza.

This initially started out as regular hummus. I’d never made my own hummus before, so I trusted a recipe from Vegnews. It was easy enough to make, but the finished product tasted quite bland.

In an effort to jazz up the flavor, I turned to Hunts (as I often do when a recipe needs a flavor boost).  And then, little by little, plain-jane hummus morphed into…

Super Pizza Hummus!

pizza hummus

With super powers.

Maybe it needs a theme song… Anyone want to work on that?

Healthy Pizza Dip

Melty Pizza Hummus

(gluten-free)

Found here: Healthy Recipes with Beans

• 1/2 cup cooked garbanzo beans (drained) (75g)
  • 2-4 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • heaping 1/2 tsp dry basil
  • heaping 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp basil-and-garlic tomato sauce (90g) (Or plain tomato sauce, and add a little extra basil and garlic) (I used Hunts.)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil (For a fat-free dip, you can omit. But you’ll lose the richer the flavor.)

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend very well, until there are no chunks left. (I used a Cuisinart.) Scoop into a serving dish, and serve with chips, raw veggies, or whatever else strikes your fancy. Or use as a spread for sandwiches or toasted bread. (If you like your hummus cold, chill in the fridge before serving.) Fridged in a closed container, this’ll keep at least a few days.

View Pizza Hummus Nutrition Facts

Pizza Hummus Dip

Do you like hummus?

Have you ever tried a flavored one? Oddly enough, the best hummus I’ve ever eaten was in Hong Kong. I was there for a varsity tennis tournament, and we stumbled upon this tiny Middle Eastern restaurant one night. Have you ever noticed some of the best food can be found in those hole-in-the-wall places?

Link of the Day: Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. This is super interesting! I make hummus all the time (b/c my husband goes through it like water!) at home but would’ve never in a million years added tomato sauce or gone that flavor route. I’ll definitely be trying this out!

2. I LOVE hummus! Although so far, plain has been my favorite! But this sounds delicious, I can already imagine how it would taste…

3. I’ve bought hummus mix and made sandwiches with red onion, lettuce, and cucumber before but have never made from scratch. I just got a bunch of nutritional yeast from my mom this weekend and now I have a fun new ingredient to play around with!

4. I don’t buy hummus much anymore but I used to plowwww through big containers of sabras. You traveled all the way to hong kong for tennis?! Or was that when you lived abroad? Very very cool!

1. LOL yeah, it was when I lived in China… so not too far :). We got to go to a lot of fun places… but the band got to go to Australia. I was so jealous!

1. Sktaggart says:

You lived in China? That is where I live now 😀

5. How did I not think of this! This is super amazing! Perfect in time for Superbowl Sunday! …….Yessss! Thank you for sharing your smarts!

6. You always have such creative ideas – I love the way you jazzed up this hummus! It’s so easy to make, I have a hard time buying the packaged stuff anymore, but I haven’t thought to add a tomoto-y flavor to it. Great idea as always!!

7. Emily says:

This is GENIUS! I’ve made hummus in my Vitamix countless times, but the only flavor I’ve ever done is plain or red pepper. Never in a million years would I have thought of making it pizza. YUM! Really, Katie, how do you think of such creative ideas? Can I peek inside your mind for just a day?

Love love love this post!

8. This is such a cute idea! I want to make a mini pizza with it. My go-to hummus lately has been a cilantro-jalapeno with a little orange zest in it. I love the bit of sweetness it adds. So good with corn tortillas and fresh veggies.

9. I love hummus. Probably my all time favorite snack and since the flavors can be adjusted to suit you mood/need it is perfect.

PLUS my kids will eat it.

I would love some of this smeared in a wrap…DELISH!

10. Sarah S. says:

I definitely have a new appreciation for hummus since finding your blog with its sweet hummus recipes ^.^ but I’ve always loved it! This “pizza” hummus makes perfect sense to me. In fact, a regular in my house is “hummus pasta” which is basically a cup or two of hummus (often roasted red pepper hummus) mixed with a jar of pasta sauce, some sauteed veggies, and a T of oregano over pasta. My (non-vegan) husband loves this because it feels more substantial than just spaghetti and tomato sauce, and the hummus imparts a creamy, “cheesy”-ness.

1. Lisa C says:

This is such a great idea! I know what I’m having for dinner tonight: spaghetti with pizza hummus sauce! Thanks Katie and Sarah!

11. Lisa C says:

I am LOVING your new savory posts!!! I always loved your dessert posts (hello, this is my favorite blog!) but now with the addition of a savory post here and there, your blog has gotten even more… sweet ;).

12. do you believe in fate?

tell me how weird this is.

so i was totally planning dinner tonight and thought i haven’t made a hummus pizza in forever. i basically take a tortilla make hummus my “sauce” and add 938924 toppings. i was debating what hummus to use as i was kind of burned out on the ones i had.

totally making this. this is totally my hummus base for tonight.

so thank you. i think it’s fate 🙂

1. Too fun! I hope you like it!!

13. Ashley says:

never had hummus but it’s been on my list to try, and now I have been convinced! Question tho: Could I omit/sub the yeast?

1. Sorry, I don’t know how that would taste.

2. Nicole K. says:

I just made it and didn’t have nutritional yeast on hand so I subbed a non dairy cheese that I have and it came out wonderfully!

1. Carrie says:

Thank you for asking this and posting your result! I was going to ask about the nutritional yeast, too. I’ve never seen a hummus recipe with it, so I thought maybe I could omit or use tahini…

1. Amytheyarnfiend says:

I’m allergic to bakers and brewer’s yeast, so I’m askeeeered to use nutritional yeast! My solution? A couple of tablespoons of daiya cheese. YUMMMMMMMM!

14. Michaela says:

the last pic is divine!
    I just had hummus for lunch 🙂 Looooooove it! I usually always make my own, so easy and versatile.
    This reminds me of a hummus I created last summer: with fresh basil and sun dried tomatoes, soo good!

15. Connie says:

Where can I find the other hummus recipes you have posted? I would like to have a way to search for the recipes on your blog. Also your picture looks like you have some fresh basil maybe or left it a little chunky when mixing. Or are these things you were dipping with? Love your recipes. So many good things on your blog. Thanks.

1. Hi Connie 🙂

There’s a search bar at the top-right of my blog (directly under the first foodbuzz ad). But I also have all my bean recipes tagged: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/?s=beans+

16. S. says:

Gah! This looks soooooo good!!!!

Where is your cookbook???

17. This looks awesome!! And I second the above comment, when’s the cookbook coming out? 🙂

1. Y’all are way too sweet :).

I’ve just started really working on the cookbook… it’s going to be a while, but there WILL be one. Someday :).

18. Victoria says:

Can I sub wheat germ for the nutritional yeast?

1. The nutritional yeast adds a cheesy flavor.

19. Ha, now I want to pen a pizza hummus theme song! This looks delicious!!

20. grashopper says:

I ADORE hummus!
    Thank you for this variant on the golden sauce :). Will try tonight!