German Chocolate Fudge Bites

Gluten free, paleo, vegan, egg free, peanut free, no bake and SO easy to make!

german chocolate truffles

No one will ever guess that such fudgey chocolate balls could possibly be 100% free of sugar, butter, and flour. Shhhh… no need to tell anyone they’re healthy. Winking smile

Healthy? Who, me?

chocolate energy ball

Since creating recipes is my full-time job, I try at least two new recipe experiments every day, and this was one of the successes of last week.

Today, I’m working on chocolate chunk cookies, molten chocolate pudding cake, and chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream. So basically, it’s going to be one big chocolate fest. But that’s no different from any other day!

(I’m also working on some non-chocolate recipes, and of course I have to cook actual meals as well… I’ve gotten really good at multitasking in the kitchen; it’s not hard to make a bunch of things at once if you’ve already made a mess.)

german chocolate truffles

pin-it

German Chocolate Fudge Bites

(Makes 10-14 balls)

Inspired by my Hot Fudge Brownie Larabars

• 3/4 cup pitted dates (I like Sunmaid, because they’re softer) (120g)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
  • 2 tbsp shredded coconut
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup raw pecans
  • optional: feel free to add some chocolate chips

Blend all ingredients together very well. (I recommend using a food processor for best results, as they’ll be very sticky in a blender.) Squish the dough together – I transferred the dough to a plastic bag then smushed it together in the bag. It’s much less messy this way! Roll into balls, cookie-cuttered shapes, or bars… or you can even use it for a pie crust!

View Fudge Bites Nutrition Facts

Link Of The Day:

Avocado Chocolate Mousse – recipe from @choccoveredkt… It is rich and silky smooth… and you really can’t taste the avocado! Full recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/10/15/avocado-chocolate-mousse-vegan-healthy/

Avocado Chocolate Mousse

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. These fudge babies look awesome! Love german chocolate. It should be a chocolate fest during valentines! All the upcoming recipes sound amazing, excited to see them!

2. Would it be weird to attempt to eat that second picture through the computer? Because that’s what it’s making me want to do! 😉

1. Erin says:

I agree, Gina! Let’s figure out how to do that.

3. These look amazing – and perfect while I’m trying to cut refined sugar out of my diet during the week!

4. Mmm little bites of fudgy Heaven!

Saw your TV clip online – I loved how they brought the pie out to people on the street. It was hilariously awesome and I couldn’t stop smiling. Way too cool!

I haven’t had much time to experiment with new recipes, which is unfortunate. Hopefully soon though!

5. these little guys look mighty tasty! i might just have to make some this week… 🙂

6. I immediately thought of my mom when I saw the recipe title! She LOVES German chocolate cake!

7. YUMMY!!! Now get back in the kitchen and keep on experimenting, girlfriend!! 🙂

8. Judah Raine Mayo says:

I can’t wait for the molten chocolate pudding cake!

9. Jutta says:

yum, I love these! Made them like 100000 times!? Maybe that’s because I am from Germany!? 😉

10. I have a sweet potato shepherd’s pie in the oven right now to give me meals for my busy few days ahead! I’ve gotten pretty good at multi tasking in the kitchen as well. Those sound decadent!!

11. Oh my word, these look amazing!! Could you use another nut in place of the pecans?

12. These look super yum and HEALTHY! They sound like my favourite LARABAR flavour – cocoa coconut chew – in ball form! Yummay!

13. sudha says:

awesome..i should try this…idea to use it as a piecrust is so much like what i would love to do

14. Debbie S. says:

Yahoo!! I already have all of the ingredients (except pecans, gasp) in the house… On a whole other note, THANK YOU Katie for not abandoning this post. I work full-time, have week to week custody of an 8-year old, and embarked on this vegan path a few months ago. If it weren’t for you and other bloggers, I wouldn’t even know WHAT to eat these days… I VERY MUCH appreciate all you do and would like to thank you by sending you some organic canned peaches… (Yup, I have a peach tree that I’ve never ever sprayed…)

1. Aww Debbie, you are way too sweet! And you’re so lucky to have a peach tree… wow! Haha I have a banana tree… but it never yields any fruit!

1. Allyson says:

We lived in the Caribbean with banana trees everywhere. Mine had never produced fruit until a wise old Jamican friend told me what to do. Mine were about 10 ft tall. He took his machete and cut the tree down to about 2 ft. You have to cut the tree trunk at an angle about 2 ft tall. You will start to see new shoots emerge from the middle. They will produce fruit I promise. Mine had over 50 bananas at one time.

15. Oooh! Love the coconut and pecan combo with the chocolate. I’m going to have to try that combo, it sounds delicious 😀

16. Marty says:

They look so… innocent and cute… Like they all want to jump in my mouth!
    I have weird a question. I am German but I don’t know what German chocolate or German chocolate cake is…. o_o

1. It’s chocolate and pecans and coconut… but apparently it’s not really German! It was named after an American whose last name was “German” :).

2. Caro says:

hahaa, same thing here. But I am wiser now 😉

17. Erin says:

When I saw that title of today’s post, all that went through my mind was “shut up.” These look awesome!! 🙂

18. Erin says:

Really enjoy these. And I have a packaged of pitted dates that I’ve been wondering what to make with.

19. Aja says:

Yum. I need to steal my friend’s food processor so I can make these!

20. lisa says:

oh – these look great! these will be made very very soon!
    but one thing i still don´t really get (like Marty already asked):
    when are chocolaty things considered “german chocolate xy…” ?? 😀
    i wonder… not just because i´m german…;)

today i´ll be making spinach tortellini with spinach (duh) and lupin-filet. 🙂

but otherwise i´m keen on trying your chickpea-recipes with white beans and/or kidney beans (since i try the blood type thing from now on and they are “bad” for my b-type).

i really, really love your blog by the way!!
    oh – and i wish i had your job…:)

1. Aww thank you! German-chocolate is chocolate and pecans and coconut… but apparently it’s not really German! It was named after an American whose last name was “German” :).

1. lisa says:

ah ok – that explains quite a few things – thank you!
        well but it really isn´t that german, right. 😉 sadly it´s quite hard to find pecans over here (not overly expensive ones)…oh well. luxurious but tasty. 🙂

1. Michaela says: