Super Sleepy Sweet Potatoes

sweet potato shepherds pie

Four hours.

That’s about how much sleep I got on Monday, when it poured buckets all night long.

My roommate apparently didn’t sleep through the storms either, so we decided to have an early dinner last night and then call it a day. As I mentioned in a previous post, Emily gave up meat for Lent and we’ve been taking turns cooking for each other once or twice a week. I get a lot of requests to show examples of actual meals I eat (as opposed to just the desserts); therefore I thought I’d post about our dinner last night.

For more examples of how I eat, see: My Non-Dessert Recipes.

sweet potato shepherds pie

Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie?

I initially wanted to make a real shepherd’s pie, topping my Bread-Free Vegan Stuffing recipe with mashed sweet potato and then baking. But life got busy, and there was no time for the extra baking step. (Plus, as I said, we wanted to go to sleep!) So I settled on a “deconstructed” shepherd’s pie. It was so absolutely delicious that now I don’t think I’ll ever bother trying the longer version!  (Unpictured, I also had Ezekiel toast and a larger serving of the lentil filling.)

Sleepy Sweet Potatoes

(deconstructed Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie)

• 1 medium onion, sliced (175g)
  • 1-2 cups spinach (I used 60g)
  • 2-4 carrots, cut into coins (I used 140g, but feel free to use more)
  • 1/2 can diced tomatoes
  • Optional: 1 zucchini, cut in coins (I used 280g, but I steamed 1/2 separately and mixed them in later.)
  • 1 stalk celery, cut into coins (I used 65g)
  • 1/2 cup to 1 cup cooked lentils, drained and mashed (I used 110g Westbrae)
  • 1 1/2 tsp dry basil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
  • 1-2 tbsp olive oil (You can omit this, but you’ll lose the yummy, buttery taste!)

Heat oil, then add carrots, zucchini, onion, and celery. Cook a few minutes (like 10), then add spinach, lentils, spices, and tomato. Cook 2 more minutes. Add the water, bring to a boil, then cover and lower to simmer for 45-50 minutes, or until the carrots are soft and stuffing is flavorful. Without the optional ingredients, this makes around 3 cups, or around 2 servings. Serve with rice, polenta, or roasted potatoes or yams.

sweet potato dinner

Are you a light sleeper?

Or can you sleep through anything? My lucky sister is the exact opposite of me. She doesn’t wake up to cell phones, car alarms, barking dogs, and when we were little and lived in Japan, she literally slept through earthquakes! Link of the Day:

…………….Sweet Potato Chili

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Those do look mighty yummy! ….I used to sleep through everything but now I’m not sleeping through as much, small things wake me up. Bummer!

2. I like sleeping with other sounds going on – TV, radio, or even rain on the skylights. 🙂

1. Full-Flavored Life says:

same here!!

3. Wow! This looks awesome. The app I use on my phone plays a song for my alarm sound (that I choose from iTunes) … but I’ve learned the hard way that once the song plays through once, it doesn’t play again. Who woulda thought that Joan Jett would be so easy to sleep through? I’ve woken up an hour late more than once!

1. You need my sister’s old alarm clock! It was a rock-and-roll chicken… complete with an electric guitar. Seriously, I don’t think anyone could sleep through that ;).

4. YUM! these look great! i love sweet potatoes and shepherd’s pie, so i love this little combo of the two you have going on here! a few nights ago there was a crazy rain storm here that woke me up and left me with only 4-5 hours of sleep too. no fun!

5. looks so good!
    I am the lightest sleeper EVER. I get up at least 3 times, even if I take sleeping meds. I have to have complete silence and darkness!

6. I’m a light sleeper only when my brain can’t determine a ‘usual’ or ‘safe’ sound – if that makes sense. If I know it’s raining, I can sleep through rain. If I’m not expecting it though, then it wakes me up and I fixate and can’t get back to sleep.

It’s been super warm here lately and the wind blows right across my bed at night (but it’s COLD air) so I end up shutting the window. Plus the varied sounds from the parking lot and people talking keep me awake. I know some people that can sleep through alarms but I’ve never been like that either!

7. This looks amazing! I wish I could sleep through more things….

8. Samantha says:

Gosh I love sweet potatoes…all the time.

Anyway, very light sleeper here. Some nights I just give up for awhile. It is terrible. I have always been a rotten sleeper. My body will no longer sleep in either regardless of how late I was up the night before.

9. Susie says:

That is one beau-ti-ful looking sweet potato!

I sleep through absolutely anything — thunderstorms, passing trains, people yelling in my ear. I can also sleep practically any*where*, too. I’ve always considered it a great talent 😀

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Me too! The best is being able to fall asleep on airplanes :).

10. Suzie says:

Yum! I just absolutely love yams– I mean I think they are truly my favorite food! I would eat one everyday if I could… I will have to try the savory stuffed version as I always opt for the sweet route (warm marshmallows over some oats, its like Thanksgiving every week!) Thanks for the recipe, plus I have been meaning to try that stuffing, looks delicious.

11. My little sister sounds like yours – she can really sleep through anything. Including when our house alarm used to go off because a sliding door would shift a little during the night! My mom used to have to ask her questions in the morning before school to see if she was actually awake – one time she asked her what she was wearing, and my sister said a bathing suit (my mom was wearing a nightgown, not a bathing suit, haha) – not awake yet!

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Haha I used to sometimes *think* I was awake. I would imagine myself getting dressed. And then by the time I realized I was still dreaming, I’d be late for school!

12. That looks delicious! I always have a few roasted sweet potatoes in the fridge for a quick snack.

I sleep like a rock. There is an ap called Sleep cycle for iPhone where you can track how deep in sleep you are. Based on the reports, I think at certain times in the night I may not even be breathing!

13. Faith says:

Mmmmm…I LOVE sweet potatoes 🙂 I don’t know why I never thought to top them with something similar. Can’t wait to try!

14. Marcella says:

It looks Cute! And tasty!

15. Sarah says:

Yea I sleep like a lot. I’ve slept through an earthquake, too! Well, I woke up.. thought I was dreaming, and then went back to sleep. Regardless this looks delicious. I love sweet potato dinners and need more recipes!

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler-we pick Rick says:

LOL!!! that’s hilarious. I was just about to say that i could sleep through an earthquake myself 🙂

16. This sounds lovely! 4 hours of sleep is NOT enough girl! Hope you get more this week.

17. Sarah S. says:

not that I’m a ray of sunshine, but it seems like I get only four hours way too often. Can’t really get used to it, but that’s a busy life for ya! This looks supersuper delicious, thanks for sharing!

18. I used to be able I sleep though anything. Now random things wake me up. I’ve slept trough fire alarms, lightening hitting a tree in our backyard and people walking in and out of my room. My sister totally took advantage of that when we’re growing up. She’d get up in the morning and sneak in my room to steal clothes from me and I would have NO idea. It used to make me so angry!

19. I am such a light sleeper, I will wake up to just about anything! I envy those who sleep like a rock!

20. In my younger years I was a heavy sleeper, but now I am such a light sleeper, and I don’t know why? I can hear everythign in my sleep even if I don’t offically wake up. It’s so annoying! Going to check out the sweet potato recipe!!