Behind the Scenes

You ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

reester eggs

So, I was thinking…

In my future recipe posts, would you be interested in seeing more photos of the process, as opposed to just the final product? Would that be at all helpful?

I’m warning you: the recipe-process photos won’t be pretty. I usually cook in my very tiny and very dark kitchen. And if I’m not there, I’m in my parents’ much bigger—but just as dark!—kitchen.

You know those gorgeous white kitchens you see on Pinterest?

Yeah, so not my kitchen.

peanut butter patties

Above, unfinished Copycat Peanut Butter Eggs.

And by “unfinished” I obviously mean “not yet covered in chocolate.” However, this didn’t stop me from eating one two of the eggs straight off the piece of parchment paper. Really, can you blame me?

peanut butter cookie dough

And what’s this?

Why, it’s a giant ball of unshaped peanut butter dough.

Did I say my “in process” photos were ugly? I take it back! Winking smile

reester eggs

This looks like a painting.

An edible painting.

Peanut butter art?

Oh Van Gogh, you know you’re jealous.

peanut butter egg

I also made this for you:

Step-by-Step Photo Tutorial.

If you get a chance, please do check out the above link and let me know: Are the step-by-step photos helpful? Would you like to see more of them in future posts? Or are they as ugly as I cautioned and you’d rather use your imagination? (Be honest!)

And sorry about all my weirdo commentary in this post. One too many glasses of wine last night.

Or perhaps it was all the reeses eggs…

1. I know what you mean about a small and dark kitchen. Ugh. I think one or two step-by-step photos can be useful, especially if there is a texture that needs to be reached, or a complex step that is best seen and not written about. Other than that, I don’t feel as though I need process pics.

2. kaity says:

some recipes of yours i dont think need step by step but others maybe, coz sometimes like something like this recipe id be like ew my eggs dont look right b4 the chocolate and then see it is you know! i ate 3 btw, there still in the freezer im gonna put chocolate on them later cant wait!

3. Samantha says:

I enjoy step by step photos and often use them myself when posting trial runs at recipes. Especially if there was something funny or interesting in the process. For example…you should see how ugly my finished chocolate coating looked. 🙂 Didn’t impact the taste however!

And if your pups should occasionally be in the photos too that is good as well.

4. I like the idea of step-by-step photos a lot! Of course,some recipes make them more necessary as others,but I generally often wonder if my dough might be alright or too gooey/crumbly etc. for example. Therefore,step-by-step photos seem pretty useful for me!
    On top of that,they’re just fun – even if they might not be as pretty as the finished product. 😉

5. Sam says:

The step-by-step photos help me a lot! I enjoy trying new recipes, but sometimes I am not confident enough to try something different. The photos help me to know that I am doing it “right.” Thank you!

6. Jenna says:

Love it! Keep the step-by-stop photos up!!!

7. I always go back and forth about taking process pictures too. I think they are definetely helpful and fun to look at but they are a pain to take while trying to actually make the recipe! And I have the same dark kitchen problems… no worries!

1. Agreed on all fronts. AND it makes whatever you’re cooking/baking take a million times longer. I decided to stop with them and just sometimes throw in some pictures of the ingredients when I find them to be particularly photogenic 🙂

8. Tina says:

I love the step by step photos! I’m not much of a baker, so it’s nice to be able to see that what I’m trying to do throughout the recipe looks “right” as I go along. I love your site and recipes, and I think this would make it even better!

9. Michelle says:

As a very inexperienced anything-involving-the-kitchen, I love step-by-step photos. They really help me know if I’m getting it right. Just seeing a beautiful finished project is sometimes just too intimidating and I won’t even try the recipe. That said, I know taking and posting the photos is more work for the person doing the actual baking and blogging, so I understand why it’s easier not to. Just my $0.02.

p.s. Thank you for this blog! I’m sending everyone here for your Cookie Dough Dip recipe!

10. Melissa says:

I really appreciate having the step by step pics. I don’t always understand written instructions – you do a great job explaining everything, it’s just a dyslexia thing! So having a picture really helps me out. Thanks for sharing such amazing stuff with us!

11. Björg says:

I would love to see a little bit of the big steps you take in your recipes, Also, maybe tricks How you get it so nice looking in the end:)

12. Rachel says:

Ironically, I just made these last night. And while they ended up turning out amazingly delicious, I questioned myself at every step. My dough seemed too crumbly, my pb blobs too funky looking, etc. Now, looking at your “behind the scenes” pics, I realize I was right on track. (Except for making one big ball first with the dough. That may have made things easier. Lol!) As someone may have already mentioned, probably not all your recipes need the pic tutorial, but maybe just ones that seem a little more complicated. 🙂 These were actually pretty easy to make, although they appear daunting. Your recipes are amazing and thanks for trying to make it even easier for those of us who need a little step-by-step encouragement! 🙂

13. Amy says:

Process pictures are sometimes very useful. But I agree with another poster, for some of your simpler recipes, they aren’t necessary.

14. Mai says:

I always like the step by step photos! It’s just reassuring. 🙂

15. Aja says:

I like the idea of step-by-step photos, just so I know if I’m doing them wrong before they finish.

16. Fiona says:

I love your weirdo commentary because I am a weirdo too! I also would love to see pictures of the process; that is always super helpful!

17. I think taking photos of the process is more interesting too! I love your commentary ha. sometimes I get a bit confused by the processes so that is my imput! 😉

18. I love the step-by-step photos but I agree it’s hard to do in a kitchen that doesn’t have the luxury of natural light. Yours look pretty good, though!!

19. Alanna says:

I love your tutorial! Seeing what it should look like is helpful, but especially how to dunk them. The corn holder is genius! I always find myself awkwardly dropping and rolling around items in chocolate with a fork and then end up accidentally scraping some chocolate back off when I try to retrieve them, lol.

1. Alanna says:

But I’ll agree with others that many of your recipes don’t need them (like the oatmeal, cake, and cookies). 🙂

20. Oh, in-process photos are something I struggle with too. Somewhere along the way it’s become ingrained in my head that if a photo isn’t pretty I won’t post it. But sometimes pretty photos aren’t necessary if you are showing a technique or something. I say, bring on the in-process photos!