Banana Split Pancakes for One

Breakfast just got 1,000 times more fun.

banana split pancakes

Make that a million times more fun.

In elementary school, my sister and I looked forward to every “report card” day when our mom treated us to ice cream sundaes at Friendly’s (not for getting a specific letter grade, but just for working hard in general).

Sometimes I’d order the Monster sundae: mint-chocolate-chip ice cream with a cone head and M&M eyes. Sometimes I’d get two scoops of black raspberry ice cream with gummy worms. And sometimes I’d get… the most gargantuan sundae on the menu: the banana split.

Stuffed with juicy strawberries, caramelized banana, and sweet chocolate chips, the following recipe is like the breakfast version of a banana-split sundae. All that’s missing is the ice cream!

Like eating dessert for breakfast... & less than 200 calories for the entire stack of pancakes! Recipe here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/05/09/banana-split-pancakes-for-one/

Banana Split Pancakes

Inspired by Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes and Vegan Banana Pancakes.

• 1/3 cup flour (spelt, white, or Arrowhead Mills gf mix all work)
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 plus 1/16 tsp salt
  • 1 packet stevia or 1 tbsp sugar (you can omit if you’re planning to top with syrup and don’t want the actual pancakes to taste sweet.)
  • handful chocolate chips
  • 4 cherries or strawberries, chopped
  • 1/2 a medium banana
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice
  • 1 tbsp coconut or veg oil, or 1 more tbsp milk of choice (Personally, I use oil because I don’t like the texture of fat-free pancakes. But I know a lot of you don’t mind, so feel free to use the second option if you’d prefer!)

In a bowl, mash the banana and combine it with wet ingredients (including berries). In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir very well. Preheat a greased or oiled pan to medium, then pour wet ingredients into dry and stir to combine. Drop 5-6 dollops onto pan once it’s hot (I did it in two batches), and cook on medium-low. Flip once per pancake.

View Banana Split Pancakes Nutrition Facts

vegan pancakes

Other Dessert Pancakes:

dessert pancake

Ice Cream Sandwich Pancakes

dessert pancakes

Hot Apple Pie Pancakes

What do you think about the idea of rewarding kids for getting all As?

I think it’s important to acknowledge kids’ hard work, as opposed to rewarding all As. A struggled-for C should be applauded, not condemned, as it’s more meaningful than an A in a blow-off class. Then again, I can’t say I never wished to be like some of my friends who got $5 for every A they earned!

Edited to add: That’s Barleans’ chocolate syrup in the photos.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Emma says:

I actually had dessert pancakes this morning!

Your Brownie Batter Pancakes: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/08/09/double-chocolate-brownie-batter-pancakes/

But I love banana splits, although I haven’t had one in years and years. So this recipe will definitely be on the menu for tomorrow! :) Gorgeous photos!

1. Samantha says:

I have been obsessively making the Blueberry Pie ones right now. I haven’t tried the brownie one yet!

1. Lisa says:

I love ALL Katie’s pancake recipes! I’m not even a vegan, and they are the only pancakes I ever make! My picky kids love them too. That’s sayin something :).

1. anon says:

i’ma eating cck pancakes right now! :)

2. Sarah S. says:

Oh mymymy! It just so happens my favorite pancake toppings are bananas and strawberries <3 a bit of chocolate surely wouldn't hurt <3
    I agree with you – reward your kid if it's apparent they tried hard!

3. I don’t think I’ve ever had a banana split by myself but I have had bites when I was younger off my dad’s. …..I could go for these pancakes and I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t want to share! :)

4. Claire says:

I agree about awarding for hard work! My mom used to let me buy any candy I wanted at the end of the school year, and I almost always bought the big roll of gum, that costs *gasp* a $2 for one big roll. I thought that was so special! And for me, the thing about A’s, is that I already would beat myself up enough if I got a bad (like a C :D) grade, so I’d rather my parents not rub that in too! Keeping school and family separate is a good thing- school= good grades, family= morales and not-earned love. :)

1. Samantha says:

I was actually very much like this.

Nothing anyone would say was going to be worse than what I said to myself for a bad grade. In retrospect I wish I hadn’t been so uptight about it. As an adult you start to realize there are many other measures of success and learning than an A.

1. Claire says:

Really good insights! I’ll keep this in mind as I finish my studies! You’re right- an A is definitely not everything, but there sure is the pressure to think it is when there aren’t many other reward systems!

5. Yummy! I love pancakes, there kind of addicting! I can’t wait to try your recipe, it sounds wonderful!! I think you should reqard kids when they get A’s, it makes them work harder for the next one! :)

6. Samantha says:

These look heavenly!

I have no problem with a reward system for kids (like you I wished I got paid for my grades when I was younger too – never happened. LOL)

What is important is figuring out what is success for each kid for each situation. I was a tutor for many years and working with kids that truly struggled in school taught me a lot.

7. Sonyanijntje says:

These look great!! Definitely on my breakfast platter tomorrow morning.
    I don’t think I’ve ever had a banana-split… You can’t really get those on every streetcorner here…
    And to answer your question: I agree with you that ‘hard work’ should be rewarded. Even if they try the best they can’t but still don’t manage to get A’s.. I don’t think it’s fair not to applaud their achievements.

8. Double Triple Yum!

Boy, do these pancakes look good..

I am a middle school teacher ,and I love your mother’s idea of a reward day for report cards for hard work.I like the idea of rewards for effort rather than grades!

9. Holy cow, they look like giant chocolate chip cookies!! My kind of pancakes! YUM they look delicious!

10. Aw, I used to love going to Friendly’s! I went there with my grandparents when I was younger, and then in high school my friends and I went there a lot. The Monster sundae was my favorite when I was little, and then I usually ordered the Reese’s sundae when I got older. Yum. These pancakes sound amazing – bookmarked!

1. L. says:

I did too. So sad when I moved to the south and they don’t have Friendly’s!

11. Amy says:

I homeschool my 4 kids. We don’t have report cards, but they are graded on their work. I know that I was rewarded for letter grades and so was my husband. It did help me push to get a better grade if I found one slipping, but it did nothing for my husband. I think the biggest mistake parents make is that they try to put their kids into the same box. My oldest would work for a treat my second one would run the other direction just to say that she did it her way. It is different for each child, but if there was evidence of lack of caring/effort, there would be lack of special treats (food or otherwise).
    Thank you Katie for inspiring me to make different pancakes on our pancake breakfast day:)

12. I have been eating pancakes w/ peanut butter and bananas ALL week. Clearly you were watching me and wanted to make it even BETTER 😉

As for the question — when I was growing up, I was expected to get all A’s and B’s. If I did not get all A’s and B’s, then I was grounded for the entire next quarter… (harsh, I know). If I DID get all A’s an B’s, then I got to eat on the “Special Plate,” which was a bright red plate that said “You Are Special Today” around the side. I got to pick my favorite dinner, and when we sat down to eat, we had to go around the table and everyone had to say 1 positive thing about the person eating on the special plate.

I do not particularly agree with grounding for a whole quarter when a child gets a C so long as the child tried his/her best. However, I absolutely LOVE how my parents rewarded all A’s and B’s! I think that the red plate, chosen dinner, and everyone saying something positive about me were FAR more memorable than money :)

1. Jenny D says:

I am sorry, but what a terrible plate. “You are special TODAY”? And you only get to eat off that plate if you got A’s and B’s? Wow, thank goodness you didn’t have a learning disability otherwise you might never be considered “special”. I do like the idea of everyone saying something positive but I try to make my children feel special to me everyday.

13. Alanna says:

Oh my gosh, these sound awesome… I’m totally bookmarking for the weekend. :) I know it sounds weird, but I was never big into banana splits… I think it’s because I always preferred ice cream flavors with chocolate and caramel, and the splits were always heavy on fruit flavors and vanilla! I did love making them, though (I used to work at a small ice cream place in high school). I agree about rewarding hard work and not just grades… I was always a “A” student and my brother tended to be more of a B/C student, but he tried, too — he was just more talented at the arts than the typical history / math / science classes. We used to go to an arcade in the mall that gave you game tokens in a certain amount for each letter grade, which I thought was pretty awesome. :)

1. Sarahishealthy says:

Same here. Don’t put no fruit in my ice cream sundae ;).

But in pancakes, that’s a different story!

14. Aja says:

Absolutely amazing! I am making them this weekend when I have time.

15. Shannon K. says:

Katie, have you ever tried any of your pancake recipes with almond flour? I’d be curious to know the outcome of a lower carb version!! These look amazing.

1. cck says:

Sorry, I haven’t.
      I need to experiment more with almond flour… I’ve never tried it! (Unless you count grinding up almonds… so I guess I have tried it. I’ve just never bought it.)

2. Katelyn says:

I have actually tried them with almond flour! They are just as delicious, but don’t hold together as well… (they kind of fell apart in the pan, soI called them scrambled pancEggs!)
      But if you use one egg’s worth of egg replacer (such as ener-g) and a little less milk, that works just fine! =)

16. JessK says:

Another way to make them is to substitute vanilla brown rice protein powder for the flour and even baking powder. I learned to start making my pancakes with protein powder and flax and Love them!

17. anon says:

love your pancake recipes!!! i think you should publish a cookbook just with pancake recipes! and then another for desserts, cuz i want them too :).

18. Katelyn says:

I can’t even remember the last time I had a banana split! That is obviously unacceptable, so I guess I will HAVE to make these pancakes after work this morning. After all, it is my half birthday! (And yes, I still celebrate half birthdays!)

19. Faith says:

I used to get rewarded for report cards, but it was based on my effort more than the letter grades. Most of the time I got straight A’s, and that’s always what I strove for. But the lower grades I received I still worked really hard for, and my parents tried to recognize that. So….I think it’s good to reward hard work, and it’s good to reward accomplishments.

And for my efforts in being productive today, I will make these for myself when I complete my to-do list :)

20. Dessert pancakes? Sounds like a great way to celebrate a special occasion. I think I might just have to try topping my Kellogg’s Eggo FiberPlus Buttermilk Pancakes with chocolate chips, carmalized bananas, and strawberries! Yum!!