Cake Batter Energy Bars

These snack bars will rock your face off.

cake batter granola bars

Say goodbye to your face.

“No-bake” energy bars that taste surprisingly like cake batter.

It’s weird, but they really do.

With almost 200 positive reviews of the recipe, these are a reader favorite. Healthy snack bars that really do taste surprisingly like you are eating actual cake batter: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/06/26/cake-batter-energy-bars/

Hope you weren’t attached to your face 😕

cake batter bars

cake batter granola bars

Healthy snack bars that really do taste surprisingly like you are eating actual cake batter. With almost 200 positive reviews of the recipe, these are a reader favorite: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/06/26/cake-batter-energy-bars/

Cake Batter Energy Bars

(Can be gluten-free!)

Inspired by my Homemade Luna Bars

• 1 cup rice crispies (brown or white, or certified gf) (30g)
  • packed 1/2 cup oat flour (70g) (Or make your own by grinding rolled oats in the food processor until they turn into a fine powder. Measure after blending.)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp roasted cashew butter (see nutrition link below, for all substitution notes)
  • 5 tbsp agave (Honey will work, but is not for strict vegans.) (See nutrition link for substitutions)
  • optional: a handful of sprinkles
  • optional: replace up to half of the oat flour with your favorite protein powder

Combine all dry ingredients and stir well. In a separate (large) bowl, combine wet and stir to form a thin paste. (If your cashew butter is cold, warm it a little for easier mixing.) Pour dry into wet (not the other way around), and stir until evenly coated. Line a baking dish or tupperware container with a large piece of wax paper and pour the mixture into the dish. Fold the extra paper over the mixture and squish down as hard as you possibly can! Use a heavy object to really press it down. (The mixture will fill a 7×5, or about 2/3 of an 8×8.) Stick in the fridge or freezer to harden before cutting into bars. Store in the fridge or freezer. Makes 6 bars.

View Cake Batter Bars Nutrition Facts

rainbow sprinkles

Story Time:

One of my friends came over yesterday with her 4-year-old daughter, and we thought it’d be fun to make sprinkle maracas by pouring the sprinkles into containers (above) and shaking. But the little girl was more interested in a family of bugs she found in front of the house. Using leaves and rocks, she spent about an hour constructing a home for “Bobby” the roly poly bug.

Then she decided he needed food, and so she proceeded to dump the entire contents of her sprinkle maraca onto the ground for Bobby to eat. Obviously Bobby took no interest in this sustenance.

But I think we’ll now be getting ants 😕

Link Of The Day:

cake batter ice cream

Vegan Cake Batter Ice Cream

Tags: , , , , ,

1. i’m game for anything that tastes like cake batter! and sprinkles always make everything more fun!

2. these sound so good! Clearly I need to get some sprinkles into my pantry ASAP!

3. Haha that story is adorable!! Great recipe, too!

4. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Too bad I’m attached to my face. And too bad for the cute guy across the street, too. I’m pretty sure he LOVES my face.

5. I love cashew butter and of course, anything with sprinkles. Can’t wait to try these! 🙂

6. Stephanie says:

Hi Katie, I Love, love your site. I refer and use your recipes often. I am making the cinnamon bun pie for my husbands birthday breakfast this morning:) I am quite a bit older than you and I’m a fitness instructor. I know that you are a runner as I am too but, just wonder if you ever done any strength training. Such as, Yoga or Pilates or weights??? It is so important as a woman to do strength training. Anyway, checkout my site and let me know your thoughts as my site is brand new. I could use some feedback!!! Thank you for helping everyone live a Helathier Happier Life.
    Namaste to you!!!
    Stephanie

1. Hi Stephanie,

Good luck with your blog. I’ll be sure to check it out :).
      Yes I do lift weights. I don’t really enjoy it, but I know it’s important.

1. Samantha says:

This made me laugh. 🙂 I ended up finding this really great weights class of all things and it has made all the difference for me.

1. Lisa C. says:

Yes, definitely recommend taking a class!

7. Suzie says:

Yum, these look so delightful and I mean how can you resist sprinkles! 🙂

8. These look unreal! Something about cake batter in anything always looks so good! It’s the little kid coming out in me 🙂

9. Tanya says:

Katie… do you care about stuff like Carmine in your sprinkles?
    (being a vegan, you know. Just wondering. I don’t think bad of you if you don’t, really 😉 )

1. Hi Tanya,

My sprinkles don’t actually say “carmine” in the ingredients (although it could fall under the “artificial flavors” I guess). I’m a vegan first-and-foremost for ethical reasons, so my goal is to show others how incredible (and do-able) it can be to live a cruelty-free lifestyle. I try not to worry about artificial flavors, as nit-picking or having to call up a company over trace ingredients will only turn others off from the lifestyle. I wrote more about it awhile ago in a post. If you’re interested, it’s near the bottom of this post: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/07/25/diet-is-not-religion/

That doesn’t mean I have anything against people who DO call companies up and make sure they’re living 100% vegan (or as close to it as possible). I think we’re all just trying to do the best we can.

1. Tanya says:

I totally understand!
        If I decorate stuff for others I sometimes use the “regular” sprinkles. Here, they all do have carmine. They also often call it E120. =/ but for me I try to find vegan ones. Even though they are really expensive. But however, I do like your attitude! there is no 100% vegan! 😉

1. Tanya & Katie, I am totally with ya! I’m vegan for ethical & health reasons, but I try to maintain a flexible attitude. The perfect vegan is something I’ve given up years ago–that said I do my very best to buy animal & cruelty free products whenever possible.

2. Katy says:

You can make your own sprinkles! (I’m not vegan, so I don’t know if this recipe fits, but it might be adaptable if it’s not!) http://iambaker.net/homemade-sprinkles

10. mandda says:

Um, If it’s cake-batter flavoured, and it’s solid, wouldn’t it just be cake? Or cake-flavoured? Or y’know, just vanilla-sweet?

1. I guess you’re right! In retrospect, I probably should’ve called then Funfetti Energy Bars. For some reason, I’m conditioned to automatically think “cake batter” whenever I see something with sprinkles.

2. CJ says:

I couldn’t wait to try this recipe, so I’ve already had a taste. They taste like cake batter–not cake. Cake batter has a distinctive flavor that is different from a baked cake. I wouldn’t consider these “vanilla-sweet.” I think Katie’s recipe title is spot on.

1. Laura says:

These are awesome! I didn’t even bother with the sprinkles, and they still taste like… yes, cake batter. Not cooked cake, but really cake batter!

Love love love them, Katie. My happy family thanks you :).

And you look gorgeous as always.

11. Janice Hernandez says:

I’ll have to remember to buy some rice krispies and more cashew butter! These look delicious!

12. Sarah says:

Katie, you mentioned subbing with Better’n Peanut Butter so I thought I’d give my two cents since you don’t use it and your readers may be curious (just trying to help, not step on any toes!). I use it for everything and I LOVE it but when using BPB, it’s important to remember that it is runnier when at room temperature and liquifies easier. So if it is used in something that isn’t baked or frozen, the results are not as good. It does however work well in your cookie dough dips and the peanut butter flavor is not as noticable, I think. Hope this helps some readers! 🙂 Love your site!

13. Anna Banana says:

I think these would be even better with chocolate frosting. 🙂

14. Laura S. says:

Face shmace – that’s what reconstructive surgery is for. Just make sure you get a good picture of yourself before you consume these beauties. I would never voluntarily have surgery (terrified of needles), but these babies might be worth it : )

How about I try them and keep my face, ok? I’ll instead let them knock my socks off. Deal.

15. you’ve done it again Katie! These look delicious! and i love the sprinkles poking through:) so cute!!

16. Alex says:

Your hair is prettier than Kate Middleton’s!

17. Aw that’s an adorable story! I hope you don’t get ants though…

These energy bars sound delish, can’t wait to try! I’ll probably add some butter extract if that’s okay, because I find that makes EVERYTHING taste like cake batter!

1. Definitely love your idea!
      I might have to try that, too… Oddly enough, the butter extract I have at home is, according to the company, vegan!

18. I love cashew butter! I just got some from the nut butter grinding machines at whole foods and it is to die for! I’m glad to find a recipe that uses it.

19. Maria says:

I made these with chocolate rice crispies and almond butter (all i had) and they were delicious!

20. I really need to buy myself some sprinkle! I’ve made a few cake batter recipes lately, but it’s just not the same without sprinkle! Don’t you agree??