Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Cream Cheese Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Pillow Cookies

It’s time…

One of the most popular pins on Pinterest - the recipe has been repinned over 25,000 times. Soft sugar cookies with an irresistible cream cheese filling. Get the recipe here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/12/02/cream-cheese-stuffed-cinnamon-sugar-pillow-cookies/

It’s time for the holiday-cookie-season contest to commence. The winner is the person who crams the most cookie-baking into this one short month.

Or really… the real winner is the one who eats the most cookies!

Cream Cheese Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Pillow Cookies

These cookies are like:

• a cinnamon roll
  • a sugar cookie
  • and a cream cheese danish… all in one!

cream cheese cookies

If you haven’t started baking cookies this holiday season, why not begin today?

Make up a batch of these pillow-soft sugar cookies to start the holidays off on the right Christmas-stockinged foot. (Or Hanukkah-stockinged, Kwanzaa-stockinged, etc.)

One of the most re-pinned recipes on Pinterest - the recipe has been repinned over 25,000 times. Soft sugar cookies with an irresistible cream cheese filling. Recipe here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/12/02/cream-cheese-stuffed-cinnamon-sugar-pillow-cookies/

Cinnamon Sugar Pillow Cookies

(makes 11-13 stuffed cookies)

• 3/4 cup (not packed) whole-wheat pastry flour (or spelt flour, or all-purpose. Readers say you can use a gf all-purpose mix if you add extra liquid so it’s not crumbly.) (120g)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup xylitol or sugar (55g)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2-4 tsp milk of choice (8-16g)
  • 3 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil (35g)
  • a bowl of equal parts cinnamon and xylitol or sugar for rolling (Omit if desired.)
  • filling ingredients listed below

For the filling (which you can omit completely if you want regular, non-stuffed cookies): combine 2 tsp powdered sugar or Sugar-Free Powdered Sugar with 2 tablespoons cream cheese-style spread (I used Tofutti non-hydrogenated, but I’m sure other full-fat brands such as Follow Your Heart or Trader Joes would be fine.) Beat well, then set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine first five ingredients and stir very well. In a separate bowl, combine all liquid ingredients and stir. Pour wet into dry and stir to form a cookie dough. Smush into a giant ball with your hands (or, as an easier trick: transfer dough to a plastic bag and smush into a ball once the dough is inside the bag). Now roll into 22-26 mini cookie dough balls, then flatten each and divide the filling among only half of the flat discs. Place the other discs on top, cinch the sides, then roll into balls. Roll the balls in the bowl of cinnamon-sugar, place on a baking tray, and chill for at least 30 minutes. (If you desire crispy cookies, you can skip this chilling step.) Preheat oven to 325, and cook 11 minutes- they’ll still look a little underdone, but that’s okay. Important: allow cookies to cool at least 10 minutes before trying to remove from tray. For step-by-step photos, substitution notes, and troubleshooting, see the nutrition link below:

View Pillow Cookies Nutrition Facts

cheesecake cookies

LINK OF THE DAY:

chocolate macadamia cookies
…….Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

1. Heidi Lynn says:

These look awesome and I can’t wait to try them Katie!
    For cookie flavors how about Fruit Cake, Stuffed Cornbread, or Chocolate Lemon?

2. Suzanne says:

This isn’t a crazy flavor but I want fresh baked gingerbread cookies for the holidays!

1. carolyn says:

I second this!
      And third it, fourth it, fifth it… into infinity!

But I also think rainbow cookies, monkey-bread cookies (is that a cookie flavor? Or did I just combine two desserts? Well, it’d be an interesting experiment), peanut butter-with-jelly cookies… or maybe even… pumpkin and gingerbread combined into one cookie? (The latter would make my life complete. I could die happy with that… especially if it was an oatmeal cookie to boot.)

3. Samantha says:

YAY! Cookie season!
    I have recently loved pouring So Delicious coconut milk eggnog into my hot cocoa. How about Chocolate Eggnog Cookies??

4. carolyn says:

I also want to ask in a separate comment; for Christmas every year we go up North (or at least, farther North) to visit my mom’s extended family, several members of which are diabetic and could use a healthier/lower sugar option for desserts, since the typical dessert there consists of super-decadent cupcakes, huge cream puffs, pineapple cheesecake… you get the picture. (I could use healthier options too, since I can easily go through 20 units of any dessert item in a sitting… it’s a miracle I’m not morbidly obese yet). Do you have any recommendations?

1. CCK says:

I really don’t know much about what’s acceptable and what’s not on a Diabetic diet, so it’d be irresponsible of me to give recommendations… but would today’s recipe work if you used the xylitol option? Here is a link to all my cookie recipes: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/healthy-cookie-recipes/
      Maybe ask your relatives what’s acceptable on their specific diets, then see if any of the cookies are a match (especially if you use the xylitol options).

1. Heidi Lynn says:

I can say as a Type 1/insulin dependent diabetic that all of Katie’s recipes I’ve tried (which is a lot of them) have worked fine for me and I use the real sugar. As for carbohydrates I think it varies by person and you can’t put all diabetics in a box. I average 250 grams a day which is not low carb. I exercise daily and average less than 18 units of insulin via an insulin pump which is a very small amount considering I don’t produce any of my own. I would take Katie’s suggestion and ask the people to see what they’re dietary needs are because everyone is different. Another point I’d like to make is that recipes with more healthful ingredients that do contain real sugar don’t spike the blood sugar like ones with a lot junk. So the source of the carbs makes a difference too.

2. Tiffany H says:

i know diabetics, have to avoid lots of carbs, so of course a sugar free substitute would be needed for whatever you make. if you use one that measures like sugar you can do any recipe and just switch it for the sugar. If you use stevia but not the baking kind there are still lots of recipes around that use the packets/stronger kind. (this site uses those in a lot of recipes) Another thing you could try is almond flour. There is carbs in it, but its super low. there are lots of recipes you can make with it, or even sub it in for regular flour in some recipes.

3. JP says:

My husband (type II Diabetic) has blood sugar spikes from wheat, even whole wheat. Apparently this is not unusual. Wheat seems to affect him as much as sugar does.

1. Tiffany H says:

Its funny that you mention that. I just saw a dr oz yesterday that did a test about that…some dr was on stating that even whole wheat causes problems and can spike your sugar worse than a candy bar. Dr oz tested it out on 5 people and it was true for 3 out of the 5 people. Whole wheat bread actually spiked twice as bad as a whole chocolate bar.

2. JP says:

I believe he was referring to Dr. Davis of “Wheat Belly” fame. We’d already figured it out with dh, but hearing that this is really common just made me mad. Kind shoots “healthy whole grains” in the foot.

5. They look so soft and delicious – just the way I like it! Awesome! I’ll have to make my own cream cheese again and then I will try this recipe! =)

6. Dara says:

chocolate chili lentil and garbanzo bean cookies (chocolate chili cookies for short).

7. Dara says:

dang, I just read the other chocolate chili suggestion…
    ok, here is another: sweet potato cranberry cookies

8. Dara says:

chocolate chili lentil and garbanzo bean cookies
    sweet potato cranberry cookies
    chestnut and apple cookies (using chestnut flour)
    chai cookies using all coconut products (flour, oil, shredded, extract, sugar, water/milk)

9. Alysha says:

Mmmm!! I’ll have to experiment with the gluten-free, sugar-free option for this. Please make some gluten free cookies for us Celiac and gluten intolerant/ allergic people, please and thank you 😀 What about Almond-Orange-Chocolate Cookies, Chocolate Cherry Almond Cookies, Salted-Caramel Chocolate Cookies, Lemon Pistachio Cookies, or Green Tea Lime Shortbread. Oh the possibilities!!

1. Julia says:

Mmm those are great ideas!! Yumm!! 😀 I hope Katie sees these haha! 😛

10. Julia says:

Mmm those look delicious! Chocolate chili sound great (but please without lentils like other people have commented!) And chocolate crinkles sound good too! Here are some other ideas: Apple Cider, Eggnogg, Peppermint Chocolate Chip, Sugar Plum, Gingerbread, M&Ms, Red Velvet, and the Jelly Bean one sounds awesome too! I am SOOO excited for holiday cookies I CANNOT wait!! 😀

1. Julia Smith says:

Also maybe like something that has to do with red and green? :) And I know this would probably be super hard but I LOVE gumdrops so maybe you could make those? It would be so cool! 😀

11. Irene says:

How about chocolate with bacon bits cookies?

1. Kristall says:

Or Fak’in bits as Katie is Vegan!

12. I think you should really tackle a chocolate-chili cookie. I love that flavor of chocolate bar, but never had it in a cookie. It would be sure to be good if you designed it.

Happy cookie season!

13. Stephanie says:

hmmmm….penut butter sugar cookie, candy-cane chocolate chip, ginger snap and white chocolat, dulce de leche (sp?) sugar cookie, tiramisu, carmel coffee peanut butter, red velvet chocolate swirl, peanut butter white chocolate, coconut red velvet, butterscotch ginger snap

14. Haha I already sent all my brainstorming ideas on twitter, hope you find some good ones!

15. those look amazing! i love the yummy center!

16. Michelle says:

This looks so yummy!

17. Shani says:

one question – why do you include both baking powder and baking soda? aren’t they the same thing?
    and for cookies, can you make a healthier version of those stained-glass-window cookies that are so much fun at christmas time? I would love that! (in case you don’t know what i’m talking about, here’s a link) http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/stained_glass_cookies/

1. Baking soda and baking powder are different, but the difference is minimal. Soda needs to be combined with something acidic when baking to make the baked good rise. Powder already has that acidic ingredient in it (cream of tartar). Baking soda is purely sodium bicarbonate, but baking powder has cream of tartar and (usually) cornstarch. There’s also the difference if single and double acting baking powder which I won’t get into. Hope that explains it!

18. Yummy! What original cookies! How about red hot orange cookies? Or peanut butter molasses cookies.

19. krista says:

How about a smore cookie? Have you tackled that one yet??

1. laura says:

Yes! I want a smore’s cookie!

20. Nickolina says:

I sometimes make whole wheat rosemary cookies…a friend asked me to come up with a recipe for her open house and I did those for years. In essence, it is a whole wheat sugar cookie with fresh chopped rosemary in it.

21. Violet says:

black licorice/anise cookies, some kind of cookies with dried figs, chocolate orange cookies

22. Ellie says:

I started a blog (largely because of awesome, inspirational bloggers like you that I obsessively read) and I linked you in my about page! (I hope that’s ok) :) See!

1. Thank you so much… good luck with your new blog. It looks great so far!

23. Kami says:

My chocolate chocolate-chip cayenne cookies are to die for!!

24. Aimee says:

I used to work at Starbucks and for a while we had a “London Fog Latte” which was Earl Gray tea, vanilla, and steamed milk. I always made mine with soy milk SO GOOD. I think those flavors would make a good cookie. A tea cookie with the tea already inside it! :)

1. Kacey says:

That sounds SO good! Do you know if you can still get that at Starbucks? And I agree, sounds like it would make a great cookie.

1. Alix says:

Any decent coffee house (Starbucks included) should know what a “London Fog” is if you request it. When I was a barista I would occasionally make my own version with yerba mate, coconut syrup, vanilla syrup and steamed milk of choice. I called that one a “Rainforest Mist” playing off the “London Fog”, but I don’t think any other barista will have heard of it!

25. KJ says:

Something with chocolate and orange, or cloves and orange…or chocolate, cloves, and orange!

26. Bridget says:

Oh. My. Yummmmm! CANNOT wait to make these and try them!!!!

27. laura says:

1. something that combines rice krispies maple syrup and peanut butter (Us Canucks love our maple syrup!)

2. I am making a vegan chocolate dip for fruit for a potluck on Monday, easiest ingredients ever- coconut milk, avocados (Can’t remember if you mentioned you hate avocados??) and good quality melted dairy-free dark chocolate, something that uses these ingredients maybe as a frosting for cookies would also be good!

3. some sort of grain free cookie that incorporates bananas coconut oil and cocoa powder

28. Rebekah says:

Something oil-free

29. Kiersten says:

These look so yummy! I’ve been dying to start my Christmas baking but I haven’t been able to because my husband and I just moved to Texas and we have yet to get settled into our new place. Hotel rooms aren’t exactly conducive to baking… Hopefully I’ll be able to make some of your delicious treats soon!

30. katie. this has gotten rough. I am finding new recipes on here before they are tweeted, and typically before any of my homework has been done. I have finals this week and you are only encouraging mt procrastination by coming up with these crazy recipes. Obviously this is not your fault…. but you’re younger audience is having a rough time ignoring you during these last few weeks. I’m pretty sure I’m not alone.

1. Erica says:

You’re not alone! I spend way too much time reading this blog and daydreaming about every dessert and baking the desserts, rather than doing my hw (;

31. I would love to try a chocolate chili cookie!! That sounds like it could be really great! Doooo it!!

32. lil deli says:

you could do a chestnut chocolate cookie with flaked almonds and and powdered sugar to represent snow :) but your pillow cookies look amazing!

33. McKenna S says:

I just put them in the fridge and i must say they kinda failed… They were dry and crumbly as dough even after adding almost 1/2 cup of oil and milk. I used regular white flour, whole lactose free milk, white sugar, and veggie oil. I’m sure they will still taste yummy, but im still confused and a bit disappointed:/

1. Kimberly says:

I think you used much too much milk. I know it sounds strange but your cookie’s texture was probably thrown off by too much liquid, not too little. The extra milk could make them gummy, I would think.

1. McKenna S. says:

That’s what I thought! But they were crumbly and almost powdery still. However, i baked them earlier and they came out absolutely delicious! Soft and “pillow-y”.

2. anonymous says:

Are you sure you measured the right amount of flour? 1 cup of liquid to 3/4 cup of flour wouldn’t be dry. It would be soup!

34. amy says:

I made them GF using Bob’s Red Mill all purpose gf mix. I felt like i needed to add a little more milk, but the end product was super yum. yay!

1. Thanks for trying them with the gf mix! :)

1. Toni says:

Yes, I too made them with Bob’s Red Mill gf flour and my dough was also dry. I added a bit more milk, but I’m afraid not enough. I couldn’t get the dough to roll & didn’t get nearly as many cookies as you did (baked 2 minutes longer than you did); mine were just bigger but still SUPER DELICIOUS! Thank you :)

2. Jill says:

Same here – I used Bob’s Red Mill GF Flour and my dough resembled pie dough before you add the water. I added more oil (about 6 TBS total) and drizzled coconut milk in until the cookie dough began to gather itself. Then kneaded the dough together before I formed into balls. It was easy peasy – formed the dough into the balls for the cookies (about 20), then broke each ball into 1/2 pieces and squished flat, smeared some cream cheese onto one, crimped together, rolled back into a ball and rolled into cinnamon sugar. They cookies were eaten faster than they were made! Thanks, Katie!

35. ruby costa says:

i have a chai cookie recipe that i’ve been working on that’s pretty good. i don’t often see chai&chocolate paired together (maybe for good reason) but that might be something fun to explore c:

36. Lauren says:

Hi Katie,

I just made them and they are wonderful! I ate one as soon as the ten minute cooling period was up, and then I ate another. And I easily could’ve gone for a third :).
    Thanks for the recipe, and happy holidays!

37. Andie says:

Yes!!! The holiday cookie posts have begun! Lol. I would definitely be in absolute ecstatic-ment if you could create an eggnog flavored cookie!

38. Idajean Waterous says:

How about bacon cookies? My grandma used to make anise cookies. Cardamom?

1. Claire Bailey says:

Umm, CKK is a vegan blog…

1. Liz says:

But bacon bits are actually vegan! :)

2. Idajean Waterous says:

oops my bad

3. Ooh but I’ve actually thought about chocolate-chip bacon cookies, using bacon bits (both Bacos and Fronteir are vegan) :).

39. Jessica says:

These look absolutely delicious….making my mouth water, yum!

40. Cate says:

It’s not a cookie but Vegan Cream Puffs would be amazing!!!

1. Kimberly says:

Second this!

2. alloyjane says:

I second this. Vegan Cream Puffs! Because I haven’t had a cream puff in over a decade. Crazy cookie combinations? Uh… not sure if you’ve ever been out to Southern CA, but Native Foods used to have a rose cardamom cupcake but discontinued it on their new menu. So sad, but a rose cardamom cookie like this stuffed cookie would be awesome.

1. Jane says:

oh my goodness, YES PLEASE!! I’ve had plans to make a Christmas croquembouche this year, but four tries in, I still haven’t been able to get anything that resembles a cream puff!! Please, Katie, that would be the best Christmas present ever!! :)

2. Robin says:

CREAM PUFFS!!! Please make cream puffs.

Or gobs. Do you have any recipes for gobs? I really miss both of those things.

41. Jessica says:

Ginger molasses cookies, candy cane cookies, lemon cookies, coffee cookies, and anything that’s fairly low in fat/sugar. I’m excited to try these and see what you come up with!

42. Ali says:

its not very crazy but i think red velvet crinkle cookies would be really fun for the holidays!

43. Shawnee says:

Omg these cookies remind me of sopapilla cheesecake! And for suggestions, mexican hot chocolate cookies, gingerbread, black and white cookies, lemon poppyseed, and chocolate with coconut butter filling!(:

44. Kimberly says:

Thank you! I have a Christmas cookie exchange coming up, and I wanted to bring a real winner, since I’m representing vegan cookies and people often think of vegan food as tasteless.

I did a test run of this recipe today, using the whole wheat pastry flour option, and they were out of the park! Exactly what I was looking for. I might take you up on your variation idea to try a peanut butter stuffing next :).

45. Karla says:

Katie, I have had (forgive me for this) an idea for a pumpkin/smoked brown sugar cookie! My sis in law gave me a bag of smoked brown sugar, and I haven’t done anything with it yet. It’s quite tasty!

1. Brenda says:

Karla, you’re pumpkin/smoked brown sugar cookie sounds great, the smoked brown sugar is in the November issue of Sunset mag & they paired it with sweet potatoes…..so pumpkin sounds like a natural. Joyus made a peanut butter cookie with it, to die for! My husband is the mad genius who created the smoked brown sugar, so I can vouch for it’s cookie compatability!

46. Kari says:

How bout red velvet cookies with creamcheese butter mint frosting (like those melt in your mouth pastel mints). Or dark chocolate cookies with red velvet frosting! Ooo that’d be pretty. I second the eggnog hot chocolate cookies, or eggnog coffee cookies, or eggnog gingerbread, red velvet with egg nog frosting… I’d better stop.

47. anonymous says:

yum these are awesome! I used galaxy cream cheese.

48. Wow. As usual, these look amazing!!

49. Jenica says:

Oh Katie these look amaaazing! You’re killing me!

50. Erica says:

chocolate-chocolate-chip biscottis, something chocolate-y and orange-y,
    and I second cream puffs!
    thanks!

51. I already said this on Twitter but green tea cookies! (with red bean or white chocolate or even milk chocolate would be soooo good)

52. Anonymous says:

chocolate rasberry, salted carmel or salted mocha/choxolate carmle, chocolate peppermint, eggnog, lemon, chocolate coconut or smores :)

53. Chelsea says:

I don’t know how you’d do it, but what about something with a pine scent to it? Maybe a citrus-pine mix…

54. kel says:

White chocolate chai cardamom would be interesting….or a spicy hot pepper inspired chocolate cookie! I just made almond pillow cookies last night btw! Inspired by the fresh Market!

55. Brin says:

Have you ever seen the dark chocolate orange in orange raping like at trader joes? Well dark chocolate orange cookie!!! You chop up the chocolate orange and add to your cookie dough!!

56. These look yummy Katie! I’m super excited for cookie baking season! :)

57. These look sooo good!! Might have to try making these… Thanks! :)

58. Tina says:

I made these using Jukes Gluten free flour, worked well, but quite dry and crumbly. I had to add more milk, probably about a tablespoon more, could have used a bit more, but still very yummy.

I would love to see you come up with a chocolate pomegranate cookie! We love pomegranate!!

59. Michelle says:

Soft maple cookies with bits of bacon

1. None says:

This sounds awesome! Maple and Bacon make a great combination.
      And the best part is Bacon Bits are often vegan!

60. None says:

I absolutely love /all/ of your recipes. I recently tried the Lentil Sloppy Joe and it has become a family favourite, even with my father, a hardcore meat eater. I’ve been vegan for three years now, and no one’s recipes interest my more than yours. I adore this recipe, and I’m going to save this weekend just for it.
    I reckon it would be nice to have this recipe with a mix of mint and chocolate. I always feel like peppermint around Christmas time.

61. Nicola says:

Healthy gingerbread? I know it’s pretty typical, but I haven’t found any great healthier versions of it anywhere…
    or HEALTHY NANAIMO BARS! I know you can do it!

62. Emilia says:

I cannot get over how brilliant these are! While I’m not a big cream cheese lover myself, I would most definitely bring them to a party. Heck, vegan cream cheese probably grosses me out quite a bit less (do you even want to know how cheese gets that texture? ew, no), I might even found a new cookie that I love.

As for unusual cookies, Christmas makes me think of things like cranberries, peppermint, eggnog, chocolate, oranges…maybe a fruity/minty cookie? That doesn’t sound too bad… Looking forward to the rest of your holiday recipes!

63. Kiki says:

just a new fan of yours, and hmm, my family doesn’t like too much sugar, so i don’t think i’ll be making this, anyways, why not try baking some healthy gingerbread cookies? i would really, really, really love to try it out if you have a recipe for healthier version of gingerbread cookies, anyways wish you good health! :)

1. Dee says:

I know! It seems like Katie complains a lot about other bloggers stealing her recipes…she never links to other recipes, and it’s clear that her ideas are inspired from others often. Maybe inspired by a combination of multiple bloggers, but no one else ever gets credit.

1. amanda says:

What are you talking about? I have seen plenty of her posts that start out, “This recipe was inspired by…” Maybe you should actually read some of the recipes before commenting!

2. Lauren says:

It’s not like Katie outright said she came up with these on her own.. And also, these cookies are vegan, and the ones you linked are not. Obviously on food blogs there are going to be similar recipes, it doesn’t mean they were “stolen.” I mean do you know how many cookie dip recipes there are out there?!

1. Dee says:

In her own “rules” she tells people they aren’t allowed to repost her recipes, even if they change ingredients. They must link to her page instead. If she asks this of people, she should be able to give the same courtesy to others, since there are times that she changes ingredients from existing recipes.

2. Ok… this is crazy. I just now saw all these comments and clicked over to the link the commenter left. That recipe isn’t anything like mine, and it definitely wasn’t my inspiration, as I’d never even seen it until now! If I’m inspired by another recipe, I specifically state it in the post. I’m pretty sure there are very few recipes that are 100% unique on the internet anymore, but just because two recipes are similar doesn’t mean one person copied the other. It most likely means they just both had the same idea.

3. Liz says:

Grow up, Greg/Dee.
      Just sayin’.

4. Liz says:

There’s a difference between stealing a recipe and having a similar one. Just because both are snickerdoodles filled with cream cheese, doesn’t mean they’re anything alike, nor that anyone “copied” anyone else. I’m sure if we go into cookbooks from years before the above blooger made this cookie, we’ll find a similar recipe too. The point is > Katie’s cookie is a different shape, has different ingredients, cooking instructions, etc.

From the food blog alliance:

The rules that most cookbook authors and food writers follow are these:

1. If you’re modifying someone else’s recipe, it should be called “adapted from“.

2. If you change a recipe substantially, you may be able to call it your own. But if it’s somewhat similar to a publisher recipe, you should say it’s “inspired by“, which means that you used else’s recipe for inspiration, but changed it substantially.

3. If you change three ingredients, you can in most instances call the recipe yours.

Pretty sure OVER three ingredients are different between the two.

1. Matt says:

I agree. This is way different than the recipe posted. However, when I looked at Katie’s rules for people wanting to post hers, she tells them they aren’t allowed to even if they have changed ingredients. It just seems a little greedy in the blog world to not allow others to even post the recipe if they change ingredients if there is so much overlap anyway.

2. Liz says:

hmm- just looked at her FAQ :

“I do ask, though, that you link back to the recipe instead of posting it on your site, even if you’ve made minor changes.”

But those are not substantial changes, as mentioned above. If I was to look at one of Katie’s Recipes, get an idea, and make, let’s say, brownie cookies, completely full of dairy, with a dash of cayenne, etc etc. I could totally put that on my own site. I think Katie’s referring to someone who uses 1 cup of soy milk versus 3/4, or changes 2 apples to 1. That’s minor, and as such, I could see her wanting someone to link back

3. Yes, Liz has it right. If you make big changes to one of my recipes, then it’s now YOUR recipe. :) You don’t even need to link back to mine at all if you don’t want to.

It takes a lot of trials (and often in my case, a lot of error!) to come up with a good recipe–figuring out the best amounts of liquid, fat, and even seemingly-minor things like salt. What I’m talking about in my FAQ page is if someone takes the recipe, changes just the amount of salt or does something like subs raisins for chocolate chips, and then posts the recipe as his/her own without having to do any of the hard work. That’s why I say “minor changes” on the faq page.

64. Shelbel says:

You should try to make a pie flavored cookie! Or even an eggnog flavor

65. Ultra fluffy cookies are my favorite, and once December hits, I cannot have enough cookies in my life. Thanks Katie!

66. Yummy!! These cookies look devine! I have to try them out! I have baked so many cookies this weekend, yet I love doing it! Yours on my list to make next! Have a great day!

67. Squirrel Scout! says:

What about Yule Logs or Coal Cookies? They don’t appear particularly scrumptious, but these made me giggle: http://www.morestylethancash.com/2011/11/coal-cookies-for-christmas-with-printable-label.html

68. Olivia says:

Fruitcake cookies (I dunno… I like a nicely spiced fruitcake, others might not be fans); pistachio/cranberry/white chocolate; apricot white chocolate; blueberry cheesecake; cranberry/hazelnut; maple/brown sugar/cinnamon; Starbucks white chocolate peppermint mocha.

69. Hannah Jones says:

I’ve always wanted to find a recipe for Egg Nog Cookies….in keeping with the holiday theme. :)

70. Little pillows of deliciousness! These look amazing!

71. Nives says:

it’s not new combination but i would also love to see a healthier version of gingerbread cookies and speculaas biscuits please!!:)

72. Susan Risdal says:

One of my FB friends mentioned a hazelnut pie crust — I googled it an found it to be the most amazing recipe and can honestly say I will NEVER make normal pie crust again. So, now that I’m addicted to hazelnuts, hazel nut coconut cookies.

1. Nives says:

yeah roasted hanzelnut and cocnut it is soooo delicious:) am totally additced to it- today i had it for may breakfast- roasted hanzelnut powder,cocnut and oats + one stevia :) Yummylicious 😉

73. Genevieve says:

I just made these this morning, using regular low-fat cream cheese for the filling, all-purpose flour, and canola oil. I did have to add more almond milk than the amount in the recipe – I just kept adding it bit by bit until the dough could stick together enough to form a ball. They turned out great – after freezing the balls for 15 minutes, they kept their shape so the cookies were nice and tall and round! I loved the cinnamony sugar cookie taste, and the filling inside made them more special (and tasty)!

74. Robin says:

My gramma used to make a cookie like this, only it was a chocolate cookie filled with PB. Make that!

Also, I had potato chip cookies once and they were AMAZING. Salty, sweet, buttery, and strangely delicious.

75. Molly says:

I followed you on Pinterest and repinned your amazing crustless pumpkin pie! <3

76. You sure do make this recipe hard to resist! Three delicious treats rolled into one!? You’re a genius! I’ll have to give these a go as soon as I can get into the kitchen!

77. Ooh these look like soft yummy goodness. I’d really like a naturally sweetened version (ie no sugar) of the festive cookies you see around – the ones covered in red and green sprinkles or with red and green Smarties or M&Ms in…I always feel so left out not being able to have those and they look so festive! I’m just way too busy right now to get in the kitchen and experiment. I know that’s not really a ‘crazy’ flavour though…

78. Kelly says:

These are so SO good! I was out of both coconut and vegetable oil, so I wound up subbing in butter instead (obviously won’t work for vegans), and they still turned out amazing! I also mixed in some mini chocolate chips in the cream cheese filling, because just about everything is made more delicious with chocolate chips. I highly, highly recommend—these are definitely going to be a staple of my Christmas cookie making :)

79. Bridget says:

I could go for some chai tea cookies 8) or maybe some lavender cookies (these sound gross, but lavender icing is actually REALLY yummy! It’s not too perfumey or overpowering) Other ideas:
    -oreo mint (not very creative, but sounds good lol)
    -maybe something fruity like strawberry-kiwi or cherry-lime, OR cranberry-orange!!!
    -vanilla-coffee? -this is weird, but it might be good
    -popcorn, actually I think kettlecorn cookies would be better, the sweet and salty thing
    -marshmellow/chocolate
    I hope you love these ideas, CCK! I adore your blog soooo much! Thanks for sparking my interest in blog-following! I have to ask, is it difficult to get a blog started and to get followers? I am interested in starting one, but don’t really know where to start! Thanks (:

1. Jules says:

OH YES.
      KETTLECORN.
      Also, with the vanilla coffee: yum! Maybe you could do a coupple different types of coffee inspired cookies, like latte/expresseo/cappuchino cookies. Or black coffe cookies swirled with cream and sugar cookie dough!
      ERMAHGHERD.
      BLACK COFFEE COOKIE DOUGH. SWIRLED WITH CREAM AND SUGAR COOKIE DOUGH. IT IS COFFEE WITH SUGAR AND CREAM. ER. MAH. GHERD.
      I’d better stop now. 😉

1. alloyjane says:

Wow, that is inspired, the coffee/cream cookie. And a kettle corn cookie, I could get behind that.

2. Thanks for all the ideas!
      Yeah, it takes a few years… I’ve been blogging for a long time, and for the first year I think I had maybe 5-10 readers ;).

80. Vyvacious says:

I love that you titled these pillow cookies! If I used these as pillows though, I can assure you that not only would it be really messy but these would be gone in a heartbeat.

81. megan says:

You should make a green cookie by adding spinach to sugar cookies and then add pistachios and and craisins for the holiday flavors and white chocolate chips for sweetness.

82. Georgiaberry says:

cookie suggestion – I have been making this habanero jelly recipe and it is sooooo good

I plan to try it as a thumbprint cookie using the pepper jelly! What do you think?

83. Jennifer M. says:

can’t wait to try these. they look yummy!

84. trajayjay says:

Hmm. Soda flavors

A bit unusual, I know, but I think it’d be an interesting idea to at least try out

Root beer extract
    Cherry extract
    Orange extract

etc.

85. Karen says:

I just made these gluten free by substituting 3/4 cup sorghum flour plus 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum for the flour. Used 2 Tablespoons of plain unsweetened soy milk ( I find most gf flours are drier than wheat flour). Otherwise followed your recipe. The dough was soft and a little crumbly. I got 18 small balls of dough, flattened them and added the cream cheese filling, they did not roll into a ball very well so I pinched the edges together as well as I could and sprinkled the cookies with the cinnamon sugar. Baked for 15 minutes ( at an altitude of 5 thousand feet most things take longer to bake here). A couple are very crackled on top with the filling showing through, so had to eat the worst looking one. Very tasty and worth the trouble of forming them. Thanks for the recipe.

86. These look amazing as usual. I get excited about cookies. You could be inspired by crazy macaron flavours and transfer them to a cookie. I read an old post on rasberricupcakes.com the other day where she tried about 50 different flavours and some of them sounded incredible. Avocado, burnt toast and butter, truffle.

87. Tracy says:

I love an indian dessert called Gulab Jamun. I would love a cookie that reminded me of that taste. I think it has rosewater and honey.

1. Jules says:

I cant think of an Indian dessert that I have ever NOT loved. I might very well need to try this guy- anything with rosewater always tastes perfumey and yummy :-) Have you ever tried gajar ka halwa? I had it once before I was vegan, and it was amazeballs. 😀

88. Claire Bailey says:

I would love a cookie with the same sort of banana chai flavour as a drink you did, I can’t remember what it was called but it had the chai spices, a frozen banana and milk of choice from memory.

Another cookie flavour I would like is a fruit mince pie flavour, the dried fruits, the stewed apple, a touch of citrus peel, the spices, yum.

These sound great, am definitely giving them a go once I have all the bits.

1. Alanna says:

Ah, the Chai-Nana Shake! That one is definitely yummy. :)

89. Awbrey says:

Chocolate orange, Chocolate oranges are a traditional Christmas gift in my family.
    Chocolate Salted Caramel Pretzel (this isn’t creative, but I don’t remember seeing a recipe for it)
    Chocolate covered cranberry, I made muffins with a can of cranberry sauce once, they turned out really moist and delicious.
    This isn’t a flavor but.. Waffle cookies! I’ve heard you can make cookies in a regular waffle iron! Just some ideas.

90. Katy says:

I LOVE your blog! Especially the oatmeal recipes :) Recently I have been craving cinnamon buns…how about a healthy cinnamon bun recipe? :)

1. Going in the cookbook… but I’m pretty sure I will post it on the blog as well, as soon as I’m allowed!

91. Bek @ Crave says:

Candy Cane cookies? Fruit cake cookies? Rum and Raisin? Pudding-type cookies?These look yum by the way!

92. Gabrielle says:

Definitely want to see your version of the potato chip & chocolate cookie. Can’t see how that could possibly be made healthy, but could be worth a shot :)

-Gab

93. Ashly says:

These were yum
    But I was wondering if u know a recipe that is sugar free for meringue or French macaroons

1. I don’t, but it is on my to-do list!

94. Jules says:

I have several ideas.
    A margerita cupcake! This one has a story. See, one time I was messing around with some weird ingrediants and had a (genius) idea (well, that and because I had just gone grocery store impulse shopping andbought a 5 pound bag of limes while Trader-Joe’s-Impulse-Shopping ;-D), so I mixed up some cupcake batter and went crazy with tequilla, lime, green melted sprinkles, and white crystal-y sugar decorations. Thus, margerita cupcakes were born, much to my enthusiasm. Anyways, I was thinking you could somehow make a cookie out of this and post it in the dead of winter, when everyone wants summer to just hurry up and arrive. Y’know, to give us hope 😀
    Actually, now I am so preocupied with the idea of a margerita cookie, I cant remember what my other ideas were. Hmmmm…;-)

And happy cookie season! 😀

95. Jules says:

Wait. I take back my previous statement of not knowing any other ideas.
    French merangues!
    I have no clue how these would be possible to vegan-ify, considering that they are basically just really, really fluffy eg whites whipped up and baked into cookies. But before I became a vegan really recently (I had been a vegetarian with dairy before that for about 7 years), these cookies were my favorites. So crispy and fluffy and light and melt-in-your-mouth-delicious! And I know that if anyone could make these babies, it would be you, CCK! :-)

96. Alexa says:

I’d love to see a sushi cookie! Coconut as the rice, chocolate as the seaweed… Funky and yummy!

97. Laura says:

I like the idea of Starbucks-inspired cookies, especially the Earl Grey latte one! Pumpkin spice latte cookies?
    Also, I had some really good fig butter from Trader Joe’s today with some dark chocolate melted in my oatmeal. That might make a yummy cookie.

98. sara says:

These look FANTASTIC! Love the cream cheese surprise inside! As far as interesting flavor combos for Christmas cookies, I always think the Luna Cafe blog has the craziest and yummiest cookie flavor combos! Here’s the link, just scroll down to “Cookies”:

99. Jasmine says:

I just made the cookies they’re so amazing. I tried to double to recipe but it ended up making the same amount I have no idea how I did that. I had to add more oil and milk than in the recipe my dough turned out very dry for some reason. And next time I’m gonna need to make more filling. But overall these cookies are so delicious. I’m definitely making them again!

100. These looks so soft and ooey gooey! Yum! How about some sort of goji berry/pistachio cookie? It would be delicious and beautiful, I bet!

101. Elizabeth says:

Hi there- I was wondering how to stuff the cookies? I have to idea how to put the filling in! Thanks!

1. Just put a little inside each cookie, with a spoon.

102. aisha says:

katie can you invent a christmas cookie useing flavor like maybe some raw ginger , molases or marzipan i think that would be great or even doing the standard decorating sugar cookies would be an awesome vegan recipe

103. theresa bartoni says:

Hi Katie–I just love your website and I enjoy seeing all the recipes you share. Thank you so much!
    You asked about cookie ingredients—-have you ever heard or tasted Rumchatta? It is a liquoer that tastes like cinnamon toast crunch milk–it’s delicious. They have a cupcake recipe out there–but since you are so creative I wondered if you could come up with a cookie recipe for it.
    Would love to try one if you come up with it and I know it could be a hit.
    If you try one–please let me know!
    thanks and happy cookie baking and happy holidays!
    Theresa

104. Oh, these are definitely getting made in my kitchen!

105. jackie says:

Hey Katie,
    I tried this and it looks like powder, not even mealy enough to be compared to a pie crust and barely even a crumble topping. This needs much more liquid. Did you mean tsp of milk or cups or tbsp? Something’s missing…..
    thanks in advance,
    jackie

1. Olivia says:

It doesn’t need more liquid. I’ve made them twice and both times came out perfect.

106. BCB says:

Smitten Kitchen’s new cookbook has a recipe for buttered popcorn cookies…

107. Jess says:

Would it work to stuff the cookies with something like a piece of chocolate?

108. MC says:

very very crumbly, needs more milk and oil, also 3/4 cup of ww flour is 90g and not 120, so my dough was doubly crumbly for the extra flour :(

1. Anonymous says:

The recipe doesn’t call for whole wheat flour.

109. Olivia says:

Yummy. This is my new favorite cookie!

Next I want to try stuffing it with chocolate. :)

110. Anonymous says:

I had some trouble forming the cookies and filling them the first time I tried this recipe, but I just finished a second batch that worked much better thanks to a little trick that I tried. I made the filling first and made little drops of it on a cookie sheet and popped them in the freezer until they got firm enough to use as filling without getting so messy! They do thaw quickly, but if you have a good pace, this is a pretty good way to make filling the cookies easier.

111. DM says:

Made these with King Arthur gf flour. They were yummy!

For some reason, the filling kind of disappeared after I baked them. I had a similar problem with the inside out chocolate pumpkin cookies. Any ideas as to why that might be?

1. Hmmm… I’ve never had that problem. Maybe the gf flour absorbs the cream cheese?

112. Josephine says:

I wanted to make these for weeks but I was so stressed, so all december long I had no christmas cookies. Now my best friend gave those to me together with the healthy poptart babies and… oh my! They’re perfect! Your blog is the best, Katie :)

113. Magaly Cordoba says:

I just bake some… they are quick, easy and delicious!!!! perfect for a 2 yo mom!!!! Thx

114. Angela says:

Didn’t see this post until today..but, I was with my son at the store just today and we thought rootbeer cookies sounded fantastic…and weird!

115. Barb says:

These cookies are PHENOMENAL!
    Oh my goodness, Katie, they are like little dreamy sugar cookie pillows, and the filling is a lovely surprise in each cookie. Thank you so much for this recipe. It is the first one of many of yours that I have bookmarked, and they taste even better than they look! :)

116. Anonymous says:

Hi Katie, i was just thinking could I substitute the cream-cheese for chocolate?

117. Anja says:

just made these pillows today, they are heavenly and not too sweet!
    I substituted apple sauce (3tbsp) for the oil and used 4tbsp skim milk. Delicious. I think I will try filling them with a mix of ricotta and strawberry next time!

118. Hannah says:

Can you make a healthy version of “cookie butter”?

1. I can put it on my list of things to try :)

119. Ohlalavegan! says:

I just made these and they are utterly delicious, fluffy, light and oh-so-morish! I made them with whole wheat flour and it worked just fine. Thanks for the recipe!

120. Marissa says:

Made these 3 days in a row for different parties/gatherings. Everyone absolutely LOVES them. I stuffed some with Nutella and others with peanut butter, and they are out of this world! You are a healthy baking genius.

1. Thank you so much for making them! I love your nutella idea :).

121. KC says:

I’d love to try these! But I think I’d stuff them with vanilla icing instead of the vegan cream cheese. I didn’t even like cream cheese BEFORE I was vegan. 😛

122. Rose Ellen says:

Can the cream cheese stuffed pillows be made ahead and frozen?

123. Michaelynn Allred says:

Theses are good but makes like two cookies.

124. Brian Condon says:

These look awesome and I can’t wait to make them! I just want to make sure I use the right amount of ingredients. You put 3/4 cup of flour but indicated 120g which is more like 1 full cup. 3/4 cup would be 90g according to my flour anyway. How much should I use?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Flours weigh different amounts depending on whether they are packed or not. If in doubt, it is always best to go with gram measurements in a recipe.

125. Barb says:

Love these! The dough was super easy to make and they don’t taste “healthy”. My 2.5 year old had such fun helping make them. Thank you for the recipe. I think it will end up being a favorite.

126. campfer says:

My Mom always made Pfefferneuse, a german spice cookie, at Christmas time. I would love it if you could create a healthy, vegan version of these cookies. They are very spicy – almost peppery – and great with a cup of tea.

1. I can definitely put them on my list of things to try!

127. Karlei says:

Do these cookies need to be refrigerated or anything like that? I’m thinking about making them for a family get together, but they’d need to survive a 2+ hour car ride and over night without a refrigerator. I’m not sure because of the filling. Can anyone let me know? PLEASE and THANKS 😀

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

They should be fine for a day!

128. Julia says:

definitely going to try this soon!
    It would be so cool if you made a starbucks latte flavored cookie or a cinnamon chocolate peanut butter cookie! or maybe a really simple coconut pecan cookie :)
    i would love for new flavors!

129. Julia says:

oh. my. gosh
    these are amazing! i just made them and they are seriously heaven. for the filling, i used peanut butter and it melted in the cookie, leaving this delicious taste :) sooo good! and i added a teaspoon of baking powder and it puffed up a lot more! it tasted really yummy! thanks for sharing this amazing recipe ♥

130. Jessie says:

Love your blog! Just one question- for recipies where you give an option between using stevia or another sugar, do you calculate the nutrition using stevia or regular sugar?

131. Hannah says:

What is the serving size? is it one cookie or 11-13?

132. Dany says:

How about matcha lemon cookies