World’s Healthiest Tater Tots!

World's healthiest tater tots. Impossible to stop eating them!

This recipe is unbelievable.

I’m serious. It’s one of those recipes where you read the ingredients, roll your eyes, and say, “There is absolutely no way this recipe will turn out.”

Then you try it anyway, because curiosity gets the better of you.

Such was the case when I came across a recipe for no-potato tater tots in the book Superfood Kitchen. Logical reasoning told me it just wasn’t possible that the ingredients listed on the page could yield something even remotely similar to a tater tot…

Logical reasoning was wrong.

tater tot World's healthiest tater tots - almost impossible to stop eating them!

Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside…

And difficult to stop eating!

These “superfood” taters are high in protein, EFAs, and fiber. And in this recipe, no deep-fryer is necessary to achieve that perfect crispy-soft texture.

guilt free tater tots!

tater tot

hashbrown tater tots

Healthy Tater Tots

(Reprinted with permission)

• 3/4 cup cooked white beans (such as Great Northern)
  • 2 tbsp flaxseeds (golden for most-authentic appearance)
  • 2 tbsp ground flaxmeal
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa (K note: I cooked my quinoa with 1/8 tsp salt)
  • 1 tbsp white miso
  • 2 tbsp brown rice flour
  • 1/4 cup finely-diced onion
  • oil or oil spray for the pan

Using a fork, mash the white beans in a large bowl. (If using unsalted beans, you can add a little extra miso or salt to compensate.) Mix in the remaining ingredients, except for oil. A handful of dough at a time, form 1 inch thick long logs on a chopping board. Carefully cut logs into ½ thick slices to make the tots. Warm a skillet over low heat, and pour in a little olive oil (a tablespoon or two) to coat the pan. (K note: I did these in two batches and used about 1 tbsp olive oil per batch. I did also fry a few separately in oil spray to make sure it would work, as I knew people would ask about that option!) Place tots inside the pan, and cook for several minutes until browned. Use a spatula to flip tots over to brown other side evenly. Serve homemade tater tots immediately with ketchup if desired, or freeze for later use. Serves 3-5.

Click to: View Tater Tots Nutrition Facts

superfood kitchen

Although I’ve never been completely sold on the extent of superfoods’ health benefits, I found myself bookmarking page after page of Superfood Kitchen by Julie Morris simply because the recipes sound delicious. Quinoa Spaghetti with Cashew Cream Sauce and Chard? Hearty Kale and Black Eyed Pea Stew? Superfood Sangria? Yes please! Along with the recipes, Ms. Morris has included a catalogue of superfood ingredients, detailing the benefits of and uses for each. It’s inspired me to expand my own culinary horizons, and I recommend this book for anyone looking to break out of a cooking rut and experience a whole array of new flavors.

Do you include any superfoods in your diet?

I don’t go out of my way to eat something just because it’s a superfood, but my diet is accidentally filled with superfoods: blueberries, almonds, sweet potatoes, spinach, coconut, chocolate… chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Chocolate. And no, it is not a typo that I have chocolate listed five times.

Link of the Day:

bean brownies

………………    Black Bean Brownies

Beans are a superfood too. Bring on the brownies!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Sunnie says:

These sound so cool, Katie! I will definitely be curious to try these – I absolutely love quinia, and I haven’t made tater tots in eons! Thanks for the recipe! 🙂

2. Emma says:

Oh! I LOVE this book! The bananas we’d bread is absolutely amazing. And the chocolate energy bars (similar to your fudge babies) are insane.
    Also the land and sea trail mix is one of my favorites ever. Ever!
    Sacha inchi stir dry and the kabocha quinoa rissoto I could eat every week.
    Yum! I’m so glad you showcased one of her recipes – we should all be so lucky to own a copy of this book.
    Ok, I’m done 🙂

3. Oh Katie! It is amazing that you don’t choose your diet for health!!! I know you have said you feel better without sugar, but other than that you just seem to have a taste for nutritious!! Very cool! You’re lucky! And for others who might not say the same, trust me, foods can “grow on you” as you become used to them, and “un-used” to less healthy alternatives. You’ll be feeling great too, which is convincing to keep making healthy choices. Thank goodness people can enjoy healthy sweets with the help of your genius!! I actually had a list of superfoods that I happened to highlight in the last year: Best Bites of 2012! Enjoy! http://fresh-you.blogspot.com/2013/01/best-bites-round-up-sharing-nutrition.html Don’t worry, chocolate is on my list too!!!!!

4. PS- I’m sure my kids are going to love these tots!!! Me too 🙂 Thanks!!!

5. I haven’t had tater tots in yearsssss – totally trying this soon!

6. Gi says:

Hi there Katie!
    Even if I am not an expert blogger as you are (hell, I’m not even a blogger! 😀 ) I dare to suggest you one thing: I think you should set the image of “the link of the day” to link to the actual post, instead of linking to the picture itself!
    I just thought it’d be a nice thing, seeing that we (mere internet users), are used to this kind of thing ^^
    Oh, btw, great recipe as usual! Sound like an effective way to add proteins to your intake.

7. Lisa says:

These are super creative! And I haven’t had tater tots since I was about 5 years old. These may be too cute to pass up. Definitely different than the potato version!

8. Nicole says:

Can I use white beans from a can? Not sure if they are typically cooked first or not…

9. I’m excited to try this recipe as I think itched be a hit with my toddler and 4 year old. Thanks for introducing us to this cookbook–looks like one I’d love to have in my collection. 🙂

10. Irene says:

I”m new to following you, what is white miso and where can I get it? (perhaps you already have a blog post on some specialty ingredients that I have yet to discover)

1. CJ says:

Miso is fermented soy bean paste. It’s salty and has an umami flavor to it. There are many varieties, but white miso has the mildest flavor. I get mine at Whole Foods (haven’t seen it at a “regular” grocery store). You should also be able to find it in an Asian food store. Look in the refrigerated section.

2. I can never find miso paste where I live. I’ve had luck with previous recipes adding packets of instant miso or liquid soup base, which I normally find near ramen noodles at the grocery store.

11. I LOVE this! Haha who doesn’t love tater tots!

12. Wow! These sound amazing. I semi-begrudgingly made frozen-from-a-bag sweet potato tater tots the other day to go with lentil sloppy joes but am PUMPED to try these! Noting on my meal plan immediately.

Thanks for sharing

13. I wouldn’t have guessed that beans were going to be the magic ingredient, but these look crispy and awesome!

14. Alexis says:

This looks so yummy!

15. I am totally facinated. I tried “Cauliflower tots” once with disasterous results, but I feel white beans would work WAY better. I’m putting together a list of apps for a superbowl party, and this is definitely going on it!

16. We just made them! Dipped in mustard, they were delish! I didn’t have miso, so I used 1 Tbsp organic soy sauce, oh and sesame seeds in place of the flaxseeds; we only have ground flax. Can’t wait to open this cookbook, AND yours!! Have a great weekend!

17. Amanda says:

Just made these for my 20 month old son for lunch. He ate close to half the recipe! Thanks so much!

18. Nadiya says:

Wicked recipe! I’m sure that superfoods is more of a hype and a good well balanced diet is the way to go. The book looks really good though. Thanx for sharing 🙂

19. Oh my gosh I’m totally trying these!!! Thank you, Katie!!