Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins – Healthy & Whole-Grain

HEALTHY Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/06/07/strawberry-chocolate-chip-muffins-healthy-whole-grain/

Look! I made you muffins!

Straight from the oven, bursting with strawberries and chocolate chips. Feel free to just take one off the screen.

Chocolate Chip Strawberry Muffins

I guess you can’t really take one off the screen…. But someday soon we might have the technology to do just that! Even now, companies such as Canon offer a printer with edible ink. When you hit the print button, different colors of icing zoom across the page and create an image you can actually eat.

The edible-ink printer is mostly used by cake-decorating aficionados; but I’d imagine that, maybe even as soon as 100 years from now, people will be able to “print” any item they see on a computer screen—be it clothing, or jewelry, or even food. It might sound impossible, but if you were to go back to the 1800s and tell our ancestors that someday people would sit at a box and communicate with other people halfway around the world, they’d probably think you were crazy.

Even when I try to explain to my little neighbor how I grew up without a cell phone, she looks at me like I have three heads.

strawberry muffin

The day when you can snatch a muffin right off the screen might be coming soon… Until that day, you’ll just have to make these healthy muffins for yourself!

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

(makes a baker’s dozen)

• 1 cup milk of choice (240g)
  • 1 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar (15g)
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (6g)
  • 3 tbsp vegetable or melted coconut oil (30g)
  • 2 cups spelt flour (or all-purpose flour, or gf mix plus 1/2 tsp xantham gum) (250g)
  • 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup xylitol or sugar of choice (100g)
  • pinch pure stevia extract, or 1 extra tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (80g)
  • 1 loosely-packed cup diced strawberries (120g)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and prepare 13 muffin tins with liners (alternatively, you can skip the liners and just grease 12 muffin tins). In a large measuring cup, whisk together first 4 ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except the strawberries and stir very well. Pour wet into dry and stir until just combined. Now add the strawberries (adding them earlier will result in pink muffins). Immediately portion into the liners, then immediately place in the oven to bake 20 minutes. Let the whole-grain muffins sit 10 minutes before removing from the muffin tins.

Click for: Chocolate Chip Muffins Nutrition Facts

Chocolate Chip Strawberry Muffins

Question of the Day:

What do you think the world will look like in 100 years… or even in 10 years?

It might look like something out of The Jetsons, with robots doing all of our chores (goodbye laundry!) and people flying around in environmentally-friendly capes instead of relying on cars or airplanes. Most likely, even more of our time will be spent looking at a computer screen, which is a scary thought considering how much time most of us already spend on the computer. Our world can change a lot even in just ten years… Facebook didn’t exist ten years ago! I kind of miss the days when you actually had to call your friends on the phone or meet in person to find out what was going on in each others’ lives.

Link of the Day:

healthy donuts
………………Homemade Donuts

It’s National Donut Day!

Tags: , , ,

1. Lisa says:

These are so pretty.

Strawberry muffins definitely rank right up there with my favorite banana muffins.

It kind of freaks me out to think that far in the future, I’m not sure why; mostly because it’s the unknown.

I think social media and all the gadgets are going to be even more crazy, which makes me a little sad; as a society we’ve lost so much connection already with real people and I can’t even imagine what classrooms will be like with the invention of more technology.

Okay, enough of that. Let’s just say I hope the future contains more of these delicious muffins 😉

1. Annie says:

I agree ; )
      Well said

2. Suzanne says:

Looks delicious as always Katie!

Hm, in 10 years I expect we will probably have computers embedded in our brains, or something along the lines of that. My mind is always blown when I see young (think, less that 2 years of age) children playing on iPads, cell phones, and computers with relative ease! In the words of Bob Dylan: times they are a changin’!!

3. Wow, edible ink? That’s nuts? Is it vegan? LOL. These looks like the perfect breakfast and I love those cute little chocolate chips. Strawberry + chocolate is an ever favourite combo for me

1. Annie says:

Yeah I’m pretty sure they are… Not necessarily certified, but they come from plant juices

4. Hello, pretty looking muffins. Om nom nom.

That would be so awesome if we could have a edible print button. I’d print me off several of these to munch.

1. Annie says:

Ha-ha! =)

5. These look yummy! I’ll have to figure out a way to make them grain-free.

I hope that in 100 years (or less than that!) there will be robots to do the dishes. That is the chore I despise the most! Maybe we’ll all have flying cars or jet packs to get around in. I like to read dystopian books and it’s scary to think that some day the stories in those books might come true…. They probably won’t, but it is possible! 😉

1. Brenda says:

You know what makes me laugh about the “robots to do the dishes”? My first reaction to that statement was “ABSOLUTELY!!!!” But then I thought, 100 years ago, they never would have imagined that you could throw them all in a box, put in some soap, turn a knob and have clean dishes a little while later. Kind of sounds like a “robot” to do our dishes! 🙂 Go figure!

1. I don’t mind putting things *in* the dishwasher, or taking them out for that matter, the part I don’t like is washing the things that can’t be put in the dishwasher. And my family likes to make lots of those kinds of dishes! 😉

6. Erica says:

Could I substitute more strawberries for the 1/2 cup xylitol/sugar? If I can, can you tell me the specific amount for the strawberries? Or can I just omit the xylitol/sugar altogether?

1. Annie says:

More strawberries will make them more watery, as xylitol is a dry sweetener; unless you use dried strawberries – but that could change the consistency and perhaps the flavor.
      What you’ll need is a dry replacement. Maybe you could try date sugar. Although if you subbing for calories or GI, xylitol already is much lower than sugar in both areas.

1. Erica says:

Thanks Annie! I’ll try date sugar.

7. Cristina says:

These look great! I’ve never had a strawberry muffin before.

8. Harsha says:

I hadn’t realized how much we take technology for granted nowadays. When I read this post, my first thought was…surely, communicating with people using a box would not have sounded that improbable to people in 1800’s, what’s the big deal? Then I started imagining what they would think….”people separated by thousands of miles, with no actual physical connection between them, not even a wire, and no way of knowing if the other person is even available, are talking and even looking at each other through a box?? Nope, impossible”. In fact, now when I think about it, it sounds impossible even to me, lol. So yeah, what you say might become possible soon and we might end up wondering why we thought it was impossible in the first place.
    This was a really good post, gave a lot of food for thought. And best of all, an awesome recipe that I have all the ingredients for…so hurray! I am going to make it right away and eat it while reading a sci-fi novel.

9. I love futuristic/dystopian novels that predict what the world will be like! Your question kind of reminds me of Star Trek where the captains logs are way in the future. If the enterprise came out in 10 years I would definitely sign-up to be on board with the Chris Pine version of Captain Kirk 😉 I could make him these muffins and win his heart <3

10. These sound lovely!! Such a fab idea!

11. Sounds like a super tasty muffin! I think we’re already pretty close to your future of eating food right off your blog — 3d printers just need an edible (and tasty) way to print, and we’re set! Maybe 30 years.

12. Chocolate says:

I’m totally making these next week for my daughter’s school fair! Thank u

13. Maura says:

These are delicious! I just ate two of them and am stopping myself from eating anymore 🙂 thanks, Kaite!

14. strawberry and chocolate is the BEST combination! yum!

15. Kit-Kat says:

My drama class in college did a genre theatre project on “Isms”, and my group got “post-modernism theatre”. So for our play, we based it on what the world would be like in the future, and we made it so there was a huge Holocaust in the world, and the entire human race had to live in this windowless white building run by “the Purge”. It was quite frightening, because it was all run by this System, so the population was given a specific job at specific times, and told exactly what to do and when all on a microphone by The System’s leader (which turned out to just be a mere recording). It is a very complex story, but scary nevertheless.

16. Sam says:

These look lovely! Just curious what the vinegar does for the recipe?
    I was actually just having a conversation the other day about the future..We’ve already come so far in just our lifetime, it’s pretty tough to imagine what’s next!

1. Erica says:

I think maybe it adds flavour? I don’t know, either.

2. Harsha says:

From what I know, the acid in vinegar reacts with soda in baking powder/soda and produces gas. This causes the muffin to raise and become fluffy. Using vinegar in baking was pretty common in the earlier days and vinegar was often used instead of eggs in cakes and muffins.

1. Harsha says:

When I said gas, I meant CO2 gas, lol.

17. Jenni says:

I love chocolate and strawberry together! I’m gluten-free, but I’m always weary to use all-purpose GF flour. Have you had many positive experiences using it in your baking? Maybe I should pick up some xanthum gum and give it a shot.

18. Elisabetta says:

What is the function of the vinegar? Can I skip it or sub it?

1. Harsha says:

Like I said above, the acid in vinegar reacts with soda in baking powder/soda and produces carbondioxide gas. This causes the muffin to raise and become fluffy. Essentially it acts like a leavening agent so skipping it will probably change the texture I think, maybe I am wrong. I will let Katie reply.

2. Anonymous says:

I think other people have mentioned this, but when you add vinegar to muffin and cupcake recipes, it makes them fluffy (and delicious!).

3. Elisabetta says:

Or use rice vinegar instead?

4. Caroline says:

You might be able use lemon juice or something, though it’s probably not as acidic.

19. jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur says:

These muffins look so wonderful! I love strawberries with chocolate – I’d have to be crazy not to! It’s so hard to imagine what the world will look like in 100 years. I can’t even imagine 5 years from now, with technology developing so quickly. It’s crazy what we’ve been able to achieve so quickly in this society. Being able to print our meals would be quite interesting!

20. Danica @ It's Progression says:

yummm just pinned this to try soon!