Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups… Inside Out!

Opposite Day.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups... Inside Out! Inside Out Reeses

A day when no means yes, naptime is play time, and dessert comes before dinner.

We celebrated Opposite Day once every year when I was in preschool: we wore our pajamas to class, greeted each other by saying goodbye, and circle time became square time. We tried to sing the ABCs backwards, and then all of the students got a chance to be the teachers (yikes). Why the day has such an indelible impression on me that I can remember so vividly all the way back to preschool, I really don’t know. Must’ve been the dessert-before-dinner thing.

Who could forget that?

Inside Out Peanut Butter Cups

What’s the opposite of a chocolate peanut butter cup? That would be a peanut butter chocolate cup: a thick coat of peanut butter surrounding a chocolate center.

Best eaten before dinner.

Inside Out Reeses

Inside Out Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

Adapted from Homemade Peanut Butter Chips

• Level 1/2 cup powdered peanut butter or PB2 (48g)
  • 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil or cacao butter, melted (40g)
  • 4 tsp pure maple syrup (20g)
  • heaping 2 tbsp melted semi-sweet chocolate of choice, or Sugar-Free Chocolate (32g)
  • mini cupcake liners or candy molds

Combine first three ingredients in a bowl, and stir well to form a paste. Smooth a little under 1 tsp into each of ten mini cupcake liners, going up the sides just a bit. (I put the cupcake liners into a mini muffin tin.) Freeze 10 minutes. Then divide the chocolate evenly among the liners and freeze again. Finally, top with remaining peanut butter paste. Freeze again until solid. If using coconut oil, keep these peanut butter cups refrigerated or frozen. With cacao butter, the candies can stay out at room temp. (I much prefer coconut version, but cacao butter works if you have an allergy.)

Click for: Peanut Butter Cup Nutrition Facts

reeses pieces

Question of the day:

Do you remember preschool or kindergarten?

I think one of my favorite preschool activities was making junk art out of cereal boxes, milk cartons, and toilet paper rolls. But I also really liked the scented markers… I would get the markers a little too close, and they often sent me home with a rainbow nose. Not sure my mom was all too happy about that.

Link of the Day: 8 Healthy Fathers Day Recipes.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. OH MY GOSH I NEED THESE. EVer since I had an inside out Reese’s years ago I’ve been obsessed but they don’t make them anymore.

2. Georgann Perez says:

Katie, God Bless you girl! I stumbled onto your blog and fell in love. ;0) I am the baker in my family so when I decided to eat healthy I put the baking part of my in the back burner. Now that I found your website I am excited to start baking again. I can’t wait. I might have to buy an extra freezer just to store all my baking. lol I know can designate a day of the week when I can get my sweet fix without worrying about packing it on. I have so many friends and relatives that are diabetic that they are going to love this site. Thank you so much. You are a blessing! Keep those recipes coming.

3. Oh man, you did it again with another fabulous peanut butter-chocolate recipe!

I totally remember parts of preschool and kindergarten! I LOVED when we were allowed to get the play-dough out at preschool, and the little kitchen set that we got to play with. So fun!

4. Lisa says:

Love these!
    Especially since nut butter is way better than the chocolate in my opinion. I usually go for almond butter cups, since I’m not a huge PB fan.
    I do like peanut flour though.
    I remember both pre-school and kindergarten. Oh those good ol’ days. Kind of miss being a kid sometimes!

5. Hannah says:

These look sooooooo good! But I have a question: Where can I get powdered peanut butter, or PB2?

I vaguely remember some points of my preschool and kindergarten life, but I was home-schooled from birth, so I haven’t got many. Life was learning.
    I did steal my mother’s Snicker bar, though, around that age. 😉

1. Samantha says:

In the Seattle area (WA state) you can find the PB2 in the Whole Foods, QFC, and I think PCC. Whole Foods was stocking “Just Great Stuff” powdered peanut butter which I personally prefer to PB2, but both are a little odd “plain” better in recipes in my opinion. :) And I can’t wait to try this one. You can definitely order PB2 online. There is plain peanut flour online as well (no sugar involved), but I haven’t tried a brand yet. Good luck!

1. Hannah says:

Thanks Samantha!

2. Tricia says:

I actually found it at my local Kroger in the section with the organic and gluten free sort of stuff.

3. Beth says:

It’s also available through Amazon.com- that’s where I ordered mine!

4. Ms. Chanandler Bong :) says:

my local walmart has pb2 now, along with coconut butter and improved flavors of peanut butter!

1. Hannah says:

Your local Walmart? What brilliant state do you live in? I’ve only ever seen peanut butter, both natural and sweetened, Nutella, and sweetened almond butter in mine. I’ve never even seen coconut butter in a store. That’s awesome!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

1. Ms. Chanandler Bong :) says:

i live in the hillbilly state of alabama, haha! when i saw that they improved their nut butter aisle i almost dropped to my knees and worshipped the walmart gods hehe :~)

1. Hannah says:

I’m green with envy…but not literally. I’m wanting Alabama right now, but I’ll just reassure myself that it’s probably pretty hot there in June.
            Not much less so here in Wisconsin, though. At least not today.

5. Aimee B. says:

Our local Target carries PB2. :)

6. Yum! What a great idea! I am sooooooooo wanting this in my life right now!

7. Love this! Definitely best eaten before dinner. That way you can have it twice! 😉

8. Henry Schut says:

Love your blog and recipes, but I am confused by the inside out peanut butter cups. What is powdered peanut butter or pb2 ?

1. It’s basically powdered peanut butter – peanuts that have been pressed into powder. (Some people mix it with water for a peanut butter replacement that’s lower in calories… I definitely don’t think it’s good this way, but to each’s own!)

9. nessa says:

Such a cute idea!

10. Am says:

Yes, I remember Kindergarten! I had a great teacher who dressed like he was transported from the 80’s. I didn’t know that then, I just knew he had long hair, and I liked how he wore bright shirts. 😛

11. Andrea B. says:

I used to make these a few years ago for my sister and myself, minus the maple syrup. Soooooooo yummy!

12. oh. my. god. those look so good! Seriously. So good.

13. My thought when I read this title: YESSSS.

14. Am says:

Yes, I remember Kindergarten! I had a great teacher who dressed like he was transported from the 80’s. I didn’t know that then, I just knew he had long hair, and I liked how he wore bright shirts. 😀

15. Utter genius. And oh so easy. Thanks for the awesome idea Katie!

16. I remember a less happy Opposite Day, where you’d say something like “Hey! I think you’re cute!” “You do?” “NO HAHAHA IT’S OPPOSITE DAY!!!” …I was always on the receiving end of THAT, ugh :(

These cups are the opposite of my opposite days though :) So tasty!

17. cocolex says:

How about inside out oreos? That would be totally awesome!

18. Riana says:

First off – Katie I love your recipes and is no reflection on you at all, but I just thought I’d inform everyone:

PB2 and powdered peanut butter is a scary food for a few reasons. It’s not whole real food, the process to make it extracts almost all of the essential monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, leaching the vitamin E content which is fat soluble, therefore reducing the nutritional content of the whole food. More importantly, it’s not organic and is full toxic pesticides (sprayed on peanut crops), and aflatoxin.

I recommend only using raw, organic valencia peanuts and peanut butter. It’s lower on harmful myotoxins (noticed I said low, not absent).

Just a thought.

1. Hi Riana,
      The Betty Lou’s one is organic: http://www.bettylousinc.com/products_detail.php?id=287&ref=9
      I definitely agree that if you want peanut butter, you’re best off using real peanut butter. I just sometimes (very rarely… I think only 2 of my recipes call for the stuff) use the powder to achieve the proper texture in recipes. For example, I tried the homemade peanut butter chips with real peanut butter first, but they came out gummy. In any case, thanks for the heads up. I don’t really have any plans for more powdered pb recipes at the moment. :)

19. Katie these are brilliant! I’m going to make some today! I’ve never tried an inside out Reese’s before, but they sound delicious. I mean, why wouldn’t they be good? It’s peanut butter and chocolate! 😉

My preschool and kindergarten years are a blur. In preschool, I remember having a certain letter and that would be the theme for the day. And the class “bunny” which was actually a stuffed animal. ;P But that’s about it, really…

20. trajayjay says:

Wow, these are really cool, I wonder what other desserts could be turned inside out. Apple pie, cake?

But on another note, You mentioned in your donut post that you noticed your blog lacked an “international flair” and you wanted to include more foreign desserts, yet the only foreign one I see on here is like Tiramisu fudge. I don’t mean to press you or anything, but I’m just wondering.

1. It usually takes me a long time to develop, photoshoot, write, and finally post recipes. Like this recipe… I think I did the photoshoot for it back in January! So I definitely did get some international recipes… I just need to post them. The ones that are ready to go (in other words, what you might see on the blog sometime in the next few months) are Tiramisu, flan, Nanimo bars, Fondue… those are the recipes so far :)

2. Mary Soucy says:

“Best eaten before dinner.” I like your thinking! I also like the idea of these and the fact that there are no bananas in these means I can eat them. Yeah!

As for kindergarten…… when I would have gone back in the 50’s my mother didn’t think it was necessary so I didn’t get to go. But back then it wasn’t what it is today, it was more like a big play date. She did send my 9 following brothers and sisters, when their turns came — wonder why?? :)

Thanks for posting these treats! I shall make up a batch or two after I put in a big batch of baked oatmeal. Yum on both accounts!!