Chai Banana Bread with Pumpkin Cream Cheese

Healthy Banana Bread

I can’t keep up with mercurial October…

The month started out amazingly, so I was caught completely off guard when it quickly turned dark and painful without warning. Yet suddenly it changed again. Albeit a colossal cliché, the idea that when one door closes another one opens has proven true for me twice now in three months, most recently this past Tuesday when a door opened I never would’ve expected. Sometimes things really do happen for a reason (I’m full of clichés today).

Going back to the low in between the two highs, this was my coping mechanism last week when I was hurt, angry, and—I’m sorry to say—probably not very fun to be around:

ckose up

Hibernate like a bear… away from other people so they don’t have to deal with me!

And stuff my face with banana bread.

Not sure if bears really eat banana bread when they hibernate. Whatever. In any case, it was actually good timing, since the book manuscript deadline is coming up so there was no time to be social anyway. And hibernating afforded me ample opportunity to throw myself into work, simultaneously writing and experimenting with new recipes for future posts.

Chai Banana Bread

Above, chai banana bread with homemade Pumpkin Pie Cream Cheese.

It’s a cinnamon spicy take on traditional banana bread. (Fun random fact for grammar nerds: chai tea is a tautology, as both words mean the same thing… like pizza pie or fall down.)

Soft, moist, and cinnamony spicy banana bread like you have never had it before. Ingredients: 2 cups mashed banana, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp... http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/10/17/chai-banana-bread-pumpkin-cream-cheese/

Chai Banana Bread

• 2 cups spelt or all-purpose flour (or 2 cups Bob’s gf)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • only if using gf flour, add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp each: ginger, cardamom, cloves, and nutmeg
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • optional, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 Nunaturals stevia packet OR 1 tbsp sugar of choice
  • 3 tbsp milk of choice
  • 3 1/2 tbsp vegetable or melted coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (or another liquid sweetener of choice)
  • 2 cups mashed bananas (measure the 2 cups after mashing)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice or white or apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine dry ingredients and mix very well. In a separate mixing bowl, combine wet ingredients, then stir into dry until just evenly mixed. Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake 35-40 minutes. (If the top is cooked but the inside is gooey, you can put tin foil over the top and continue to bake.) Let cool 10 minutes before slicing. Store leftover slices in the refrigerator or freezer after one day. Makes 10-12 slices. Top with coconut butter, pumpkin butter, or the pumpkin pie cream cheese recipe linked under the third photo of this post.

View Chai Banana Bread Nutrition Facts

Soft, moist, and cinnamony spicy banana bread like you have never had it before. Ingredients to make the recipe: 2 cups mashed banana, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp... http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/10/17/chai-banana-bread-pumpkin-cream-cheese/

Link of the Day:

vegan macaroni and cheese
……….Vegan Mac and Cheese

Tags: , , ,

1. Abigail Seger says:

This Recipe looks wonderful! I have been looking around for different breakfast recipes and I will definitely try this one!
    One question….The nutrition info is based off of how many servings total?

2. I’m glad things are looking up for you–the funny thing is when things are pretty lame & hard, it makes you long for those simple days when you didn’t know how good you had it, you know?

I know when I’m feeling surly, there are very few things that are more cathartic than baking. Hope things only get better for you 🙂

3. Lauren says:

Sorry you’re having a crazy month! I hope everything calms down soon. Hugs!

4. Mo Dixon says:

Love the cream cheese heart 🙂 On purpose?

5. Whitney says:

Katie, this looks SO good! What was your inspiration to try it with chai? I know I’ve mentioned this before, but I work with Tipu’s Chai (in Montana) and I’m thinking our “Simple Life” blend would work perfectly for this recipe (it’s just our tea and spices, no sweetener, so it’s great for baking)…would you be okay with you if I tried it with that and cited your recipe (we’d probably post it on our website)? I’d love to give it a try. 🙂 Happy Fall, can’t wait for the book launch!

6. Samantha says:

Here is hoping for that newly opened door! Sorry about the ups and downs…boy do I know what that is like. Take care, Sam

1. Samantha says:

PS. Good to know on a manuscript deadline…that means the cookbook is coming along. 🙂

7. Lisa says:

Mmm..chai banana bread sounds wonderful! I love banana bread during the Fall months, it really is the perfect treat.

8. Vicki @ WITK says:

I have a whole container of chia seeds that is just screaming to be made into this bread! I’m also loving the looks of this pumpkin pie cream cheese!

9. krysta says:

I don’t see the Chia in it anywhere?

1. Karen w. says:

I think This is chai flavored banana bread, in other words banana bread with the flavoring a of chai tea, it is not chia banana bread.

10. Tammela says:

Love the spices in this banana bread! I usually use cinnamon and nutmeg in mine, but may have to start sprinkling in ginger and cloves, too.

11. I never thought to make chai flavored bread, but I LOVE chai so this sounds perfect!

12. Leigh says:

Yum, looks delicious – I’m definitely going to try this out very, very soon. Just a question – is the nutritional information based off of including the walnuts? And do you use almond milk?

1. Walnuts are optional. But yes I use almond milk… you can sub any milk you choose.

13. Jaya Marina Bhumitra says:

I love that you noted that saying “chai tea” is redundant – as an Indian who knows this, it always drives me a little crazy to hear chai used as a descriptor of tea, when it means the same thing as tea. What everyone considers chai flavor (the spices) is actually what Indians would call masala…when Indians order tea in India, they say “masala tea.”

1. Jaya Marina Bhumitra says:

or “masala chai” 🙂

1. Sarah says:

I feel ya as a fellow Indian! I’m like, its chai. Or masala chai. Chai tea just sounds funny to me 🙂

1. Whitney says:

As someone who works for a chai company, I can say that, while it feels awkward to us too, we sometimes use that descriptor so customers know exactly what we’re talking about. It’s a great chance to provide some chai education though!

14. Yum, pumpkin and chai together are so perfect! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

15. Sorry to hear you’ve had some rough times this month, Katie. *hugs* Pumpkin-everything sounds like a great cure, though. 😉

16. Sharon says:

Hi, Katie! I love your healthy versions of desserts. I don’t do well with bananas, is it possible to substitute pumpkin or whatever for the bananas? If so, would it still be 2 cups? And are there other substitutes that you would recommend?
    Thanks so much!
    Sharon

1. Sorry, I haven’t ever tried it so I really can’t say. You will have to experiment!

2. Sarah says:

Sharon,

I ran out of bananas when I was making it so I substituted at least 1/2 cup of pumpkin. I ended up making mine as muffins because I don’t have a loaf pan, but they were still incredibly moist and wonderful! Also, I made them gluten free too, and they still turned out great (just add an extra 1/4tsp of baking powder because they need more rise)! Thanks Katie!!

1. Sharon says:

Sarah, thank you so much! I am going to try this! And thanks for telling me about the extra 1/4 tsp of baking powder. That is not something i could have ever figured out! So, instead of 2 cups of mashed bananas, you substituted 1/2 cup of pumpkin, right? Again, thanks!
        Sharon

1. Sarah says:

Oh I would still make it 2 cups total. I just had only 1 1/2 cups of mashed banana. Sorry that was confusing! And you’re welcome. But add the extra baking powder only if you’re using gluten free flour! I don’t know about regular flour!

2. Sharon says:

Thanks, Sarah!

17. Anonymous says:

Just a question: do you, as a vegan, eat white sugar/flour?

1. I don’t really eat white flour unless it’s a baked good someone else has made for me or something from a restaurant. Same with sugar… if I’m the one cooking, I usually use sucanat or evaporated cane juice.

18. Andy says:

Can’t wait to try this!!!! I hope u feel better soon…..if it’s guy problems, just know that you are such an amazing role model for so many people and just plain perfect in general! if he doesn’t seem to understand that, then he doesn’t deserve your awesomeness!

19. megan says:

I totally agree with Andy. Also one time I had one of your blog posts open on my computer screen and my older brother came by and goes Who’s that, she’s hot!
    🙂

20. Love all the spices in this! Bet it’s fantastic with that pumpkin cream cheese. 🙂