Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Chocolate Marble Swirl Banana Bread

CHOCOLATE MARBLE SWIRL BANANA BREAD - Ribbons of dark chocolate swirled into light banana bread… There’s a reason it’s a reader favorite recipe! Make it here:

This is banana bread for chocoholics.

With thick ribbons of chocolate swirled into every bite, you’ll never look at banana bread the same way again!

Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread

Chocolate Marble Swirl Banana Bread

• 2 cups over-ripe banana, mashed well (480g)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract (8g)
  • 2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (10g)
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice (30g)
  • 1/4 cup oil or more milk of choice (oil version will be richer and better-textured; milk version will be lower-calorie… so it depends on what you’re going for and to whom you are serving the bread)
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, agave, or honey (honey is not for strict vegans)
  • 2 cups spelt, all-purpose, or Bob’s gf flour (240g)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pure stevia or 1/4 cup sugar of choice
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon, optional
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional
  • 3 tbsp cocoa powder (15g)

Bring one cup or so of water to a boil. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 F, grease a 9×5 loaf pan, and set aside. Get out three large bowls and a small bowl. In one of the large bowls, whisk together all liquid ingredients. In a separate large bowl, stir together all remaining ingredients except the cocoa powder. Measure the cocoa powder into the empty small bowl and whisk in 1/4 cup of the boiling water (discard remaining water). Now combine the contents of the two large bowls until just evenly mixed, then divide the batter in half so there’s an equal amount of batter in each of the two large bowls. Pour all of the cocoa mixture into only one of the banana bread batters. So now you should have one chocolate and one non-chocolate batter. Scoop a thin layer of plain batter into the prepared loaf pan, followed by a layer of chocolate. Repeat until all batter is used up, then take a spoon and swirl the batters together—for just a few seconds so there are still two distinct colors present. Bake 50 minutes, then turn the oven off and leave the loaf in the oven 20 more minutes if it still needs to firm up. For best freshness, leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.

Click for: Banana Bread Nutrition Facts

Marbled Banana Bread

healthy banana recipes
15 Secretly Healthy Banana Recipes

Tags: , , ,

1. Sue Zwickey says:

Hi Katie,
    Love your recipes! What type of oil do you use in your banana bread recipe.

1. Cck says:

You can use either melted coconut oil or vegetable oil for this one.

2. Caroline says:

Katie you are the best!
    Love your recipes.
    Promised my twin niece and nephew to bake them each a banana cake and a chocolate cake. This is just the perfect compromise. Couldn’t have come up with this at a better time. Will try with a GF flour (and perhaps add xanthan gum to it) and will report back.

Thanks again!

3. Dana says:

How do I freeze and thaw it ? What’s the best way 🙂

1. You can thaw any way, really. Oven, microwave, overnight on the counter…

4. Yum! This looks great. I’ve been craving bananas lately, and bananas are *always* better with chocolate.

5. BakeMeABallerina says:

Definitely on my to-do list!

6. Emilylovesraisins says:

That was literally what I said when I opened this page! (*Drools*)
    I’ve never tried anything swirled before, but now it’s on my to-do list!! 🙂

7. Hollie says:

The bread looks really dense. I could go for some right now.

8. Jess says:

Yum, can’t wait to try this! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

9. Alexis says:

Mmmm! This looks so good! I might try using pumpkin since that’s what I have at home 🙂 Would whole wheat flour work for this, or oat flour?
    Thanks for the amazing recipes!

1. becauseHeloves! says:

White-whole-wheat flour works for her other banana bread recipes; that’s what I used. Haven’t tried it on this one though.

2. Amanda says:

I made this using 1 1/2 cups WW flour and 1/2 cup all-purpose. It tastes very good, but is a little dense. I think thats why CCK doesn’t recommend WW in the ingredients. 🙂

10. GDO says:

Instead of the all-purpose flour, could whole wheat flour or a mixture of oat flour and whole wheat flour be substituted?

11. Liz says:

You really can’t go wrong with bananas, and especially when you throw chocolate in the mix! Thanks for the recipe (:

12. Kira - Healthable Old Soul says:

Banana Bread is always a hit in our house! Chocolate Marble Swirl will make this bread the star of the show!

13. Melissa @ says:

banana bread and chocolate: my two favourite things!

14. Yum! Combining two of the best baked goods in one recipe!

15. Jessica says:

This looks delicious!! I just used up all my extra-ripe bananas yesterday but I’m sure there will be more coming soon.
    Just one question about the directions — wouldn’t the batter be more consistent if you mixed all the liquid & solid ingredients together (except the cocoa/water) and THEN divided the batter in two and added cocoa to one? I’d be worried that I wouldn’t guesstimate half of the liquids properly and then the two batters wouldn’t be the same texture. Whereas if you divide the batter after mixing, it doesn’t really matter if you have slightly more or less of the cocoa-flavored batter vs. the regular batter. I hope that makes sense! 🙂

1. Leesa D says:

You’re so smart! I just made this and wish I would have looked at your suggestion first 🙂

2. Hmmm… That definitely DOES sound better than my way. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will edit the post.

1. Jessica says:

aww, I’m flattered you took the suggestion! Thanks 🙂

16. Jan says:

This looks and sounds delicious! What do you do with the remaining 3/4 cup of boiling water? Does that go with the liquid ingredients?

1. Michelle says:

As Jessica said below to someone asking the same question: “I think Katie had you boil ‘around a cup of water’ because if you tried to boil only 1/4 cup of water, it would all evaporate by the time by the time it reached the boiling point. So you have to boil a bunch of water, then measure out 1/4 cup from what you boiled. You only should have added 1/4 cup water total.”

Hopefully Katie will update the instructions to make them clearer since multiple people are struggling to understand the current directions. It would help if the 1/4 cup of boiling water was listed in the directions.

1. Michelle says:

listed in the ingredients, not directions*

17. becauseHeloves! says:

This looks wonderful! I like to keep my banana bread fat free so I can put a large amount of peanut butter on it when I eat it 😀

18. rory baxter says:

Just curious about the details of this recipe. When do you add the bananas – with wet or dry? When do you add the chocolate chips? In the instructions it says to boil 1 C of water, but only 1/4 is used with cocoa – what happens to the other 3/4 C water? We tried this for the 1st time, and ran into snags because I couldnt quite figure out specs. I did end up adding the water back in, but got a runny batter, so I am sure I ruined it. It is still in the oven, and we are hoping it might come out ok if we bake it long enough. Oh, BTW, we used unbleached almond flour as a sub for reg flour (my son has celiac).
    Really love all your amazing and creative ideas, they are helping us make this new transition into the GF world a whole lot easier!

1. Jessica says:

Hi Rory —
      I think Katie had you boil “around a cup of water” because if you tried to boil only 1/4 cup of water, it would all evaporate by the time by the time it reached the boiling point. So you have to boil a bunch of water, then measure out 1/4 cup from what you boiled. You only should have added 1/4 cup water total.
      Bananas are definitely a “wet” ingredient — notice how all the liquids are mentioned first in Katie’s recipe.
      Usually in all the banana bread recipes I’ve made, you fold in chocolate chip last, because if they’re in there it makes it harder to mix the rest of the batter. I suppose you could add them just to the chocolate batter, or the “plain” batter, or both!
      BTW, I’m sure it’s too late now, but once you added the extra water and realized it was a mistake, you could’ve turned them into banana pancakes! I just tried comparing two random recipes for banana pancakes vs. banana bread and it looks like the amount of liquid is the biggest difference.

Hope that helps!

1. Maria says:

Jessica, I made this recipe yesterday and with the exception of the water, had the same question as Rory. I added the bananas with the dry ingredients and immediately determined that it was probably meant to be added with the liquids. That aside, the bread turned out great. I just wanted to let you know how kind I thought you were to take the time to not only respond to Rory, but to look up a use for the batter with all the water! Thoughtful indeed!

19. Medeja says:

I love the idea of chocolate banana bread.. why I didn’t think about it before! 😀

20. This looks too good, I cannot wait to make it!