Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Vegetarian Chili Recipe

This vegetarian chili recipe is one of my absolute favorites!

Meatless Chili (high protein, quick, and easy to make)

It is a staple dinner in the home of Chocolate-Covered Katie; I find myself relying on it time and again when I want a homemade meal with minimal work required. The vegetarian chili takes just a few minutes to prepare and yields a ton of food!

The recipe also freezes well, and I’ll often freeze four full servings (if I have enough room in my freezer!) for an instant meal on those occasions when I’ve been away from all day and therefore had no time to cook.

For more recipes like this one, see 50 Healthy Meal Ideas – Breakfast, Lunch, And Dinner

My Favorite Vegetarian Chili Recipe:

I know it’s not dessert…

But hopefully you will forgive me if you make this vegetarian chili recipe for yourself and see how easy and delicious it is. You can also change up the beans or veggies; and the hot sauce can be increased or omitted completely, depending on your tastes.

I highly recommend serving this chili with my recipe for Healthy Corn Muffins if you have a few extra minutes.

Healthy Vegetarian Chili Recipe:

Vegetarian Chili Recipe – Katie Favorite

Print This Recipe 5/5

• 1 large onion, diced
  • oil or oil spray for sautéing
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cups cooked beans)
  • 1-2 cans garbanzo beans or beans of choice, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 to 3 cups cooked beans)
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
  • 2 14-oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes (I use Muir Glen)
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 4 medium carrots or zucchini, chopped small
  • optional, hot sauce to taste (I always add some)
  • optional garnishes such as sliced avocado, tortilla chips, etc.
Total Time: 40m
Yield: 16 cups

Vegetarian Chili Recipe: Sauté the onion in oil or spray until translucent. If cooking on the stovetop: add all ingredients to a large pot and cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower to a simmer and cook (covered) about 30 minutes or until the carrots or zucchini are tender. Alternatively, you can add the sautéed onion and all other ingredients to a crock pot and cook on low until vegetables are tender. Add garnishes and hot sauce at the table if desired. This recipe freezes well!

View Vegetarian Chili Calories and Nutrition Facts

Question of the Day:

What are some of your favorite staple dinner recipes?

As always, please feel free to leave links to your own favorite recipes so that other readers browsing the comments might find inspiration from your blogs.

Coconut Pumpkin Pie

Healthy Pumpkin Pie – Twice as creamy as regular pumpkin pie!

[adthrive_ad id='ChocolateCoveredKatie_Below_Post_600x250_300x250' center='1']
Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Indy Burgess says:

Hey Katie, looks delicious!
    I was wondering how many portions this makes? Assuming it’s 4?
    Thanks! :)

1. It’s hard to say, as appetites vary, but it makes a very large amount! Much more than 4 servings. About 16 cups total.

2. Cari says:

Looks good!! How many servings would you say this recipe makes?

1. It’s hard to say, as appetites vary, but it makes a very large amount! About 16 cups total.

3. Robyn says:

How funny – I made almost this exact recipe for dinner last night! The difference is that I add cooked barley to our chili. It gives it a nice chewy texture which my husband (newly vegetarian) enjoys in place of meat.

4. EVA says:

Scary story (and I know this happens to people all the time):

Last night I had all of the ingredients and REALLY wanted to make chili, but I was feeling really sick so I said “Meh, I’ll find a good recipe and make it tomorrow”.

5. This looks awesome! I am not a vegetarian, but “normal” chili is waaaaayyyy too meaty for me! Looks so yummy!

6. Brittany says:

Loving the looks of this chili, lady. It sounds delish.

7. Sarah says:

Hey, Katie!
    no forgiveness needed, and you do NOT need to apologize for posting recipes for something besides desserts. We LOVE your “Tater Nots” and your Pizza Hummus, among others. This looks wonderful – can’t wait for fall to give it a try!

1. EVA says:

I agree! While I IMMENSELY appreciate the desserts, I also love meal ideas! And yours are so easy and wallet-friendly that I actually make them, unlike all of those poor meals sitting in those cookbooks that I’ll probably never attempt….

8. Bianca says:

It’s almost chili weather time! I hate winter and late fall when it’s cold out. But chili makes it all better.

9. Vegetarian Chilli is a favourite meal of mine and your recipe looks a good one. I also like the look of your healthy pumpkin pie so I am off to take a look.

10. kris says:

what is the white sprinkly stuff you garnished it with in the first pic??

11. Iman says:

That looks super yummy! And I’d definitely add hot sauce, would love that extra flavour. It’s supposed to be chili after all :)

12. Michelle says:

Looks gorgeous! I love chilli – never arsed to make it though! This looks goood though. I love your non-dessert recipes – those lentil sloppy joes are great! (by the way, what ever happened to the recipe for the BBQ lentil burgers? i was planning on making them and then went to get the recipe and it was gone!)

I actually wanted to ask you something, i was reading online about “Motivation to start a blog” – because i have one set up for ages, and i REALLY want to get started (its going to be based on gluten free healthy living in Ireland – we dont have much here so its hard to be a coeliac!) i would love to start it but i just dont know how! This thing i was reading said to send a message to your favourite blogger (yes, this would be you!) and ask for advice/tips on the best way to get started? i kinda feel like – i have NO idea where to start, and all of the crazy jargon confuses me! (like, what the HELL is a widget?? and categories, catalogues, the difference between a page and a post…aaaaah!!!)

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks for all the great recipes!

13. Ana says:

Noodles + whatever I can find = perfect go to meal

14. Lori says:

I live in Costa Rica where veggies are super huge. When you say “4 medium sized”” that does not really exist here. How many cups of carrots and zucchini would you say that equates to? Thanks so much!

1. I’ve never actually measured, but I really don’t think you can go wrong even if yours are just a little bigger or smaller than ours.

15. Jen says:

I tend to make a lot of stir frys for dinner – whatever veg I have on hand, edamame beans/tofu and brown rice with a yummy sauce :-)

16. Wow this looks amazing! Chili is so comforting… it’s definitely a favorite for transitioning into fall :)

17. Hi Katie! Your vegetarian chili looks so tasty; the perfect bowl of soup to look forward as fall approaches. The bright colors are so appetizing and I love how it’s packed with lots of protein and veggies.

18. Julie Gordon says:

Hi Katie, this recipe looks really good, it’ll be the perfect fix for some gloomy whether I’ve been having lately here in Iowa. I can’t wait to make this!

19. Vegetarian chili?!?! This looks amazing! My family loves making chili in the crockpot, but I always feel left out because I can’t eat it. I ought to try this sometime… and by sometime, I mean very, very soon. I’m glad that this is so simple, because there’s nothing I hate more then spending 2 hours in the kitchen just for one dinner.

20. This looks fantastic! And with vegetarian chillies, the cooking time shortens significally. Mmmmm, I want chilli now 😀
    I hope you have a good weekend! x

21. Naoko says:

I love soups, stews and chili when I need a quick dinner fix. I love that I can toss everything in a pot and then go off do something else (or chill out after a long day). Cook some grains or pasta at the same time or serve with some bread and it’s a good dinner to go!
    I don’t use canned beans (in Japan, organic, BPA-free canned beans are scarce and way beyond my budget!) I rely on red lentils a lot because they cook so fast.
    Another favourite this summer is a really easy pasta salad. I basically toss some tomatoes and thinly sliced onions (and zucchini, or whatever else I have lying around) with some salt, wine vinegar and mustard in a bowl, and serve it with some really thin pasta. Garnished with fresh herbs of course. Avocado, nuts, tofu whatever toppings to add a bit of nutritional boost. How easy can it get?
    Love your simple meal ideas. Your desserts are divine, but good meals are a must. I mean… how would your beautiful cookies make it to the oven if I’m hungry? Cookie dough alert! 😀

22. Maria says:

Katie, that first picture is just to sharp and vibrant it sucks you into the dish – it is beautiful! My staple food is definitely homemade whole-wheat bread with this savory vegan pâté or a similar one:

23. Kelly says:

This looks and sounds amazing!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

24. Natasha S. says:

Hey Katie, I absolutely love this recipe! I made it yesterday and added avocado for a garnish at the end. It was delicious! Thanks for the great recipe! :) :)

1. Thank you so much for making it!

25. I love good chili, so I’m glad you shared this recipe!

26. Sara says:

I made this chili last night and it’s delicious! It makes a lot too. Thank you for a great recipe Katie!

27. Katherine B says:

Yummm. One of my favorite recipes to make is my own adaptation of your black bean sweet potato chili, which is always loved by all! I saw that you sprinkled Daiya on top, and I looove that addition, too. I’ll have to try this recipe next! Love your non-dessert recipes and dessert recipes alike.

Soup is usually a dinner staple for me, as well. I like to try new recipes for it and make up my own recipes sometimes, or use old favorites.

28. Caitie says:

I made this tonight with 1/2 the chili powder and was definitely spicy enough for me! Paired it with your cornbread. Delicious, thanks.

29. Michelle says:

That chili is gorgeous. Like, seriously beautiful! Wow. Nicely done! I can’t have corn, but I am eager to make this soup! Bravissimo!

30. Brittany says:

Got around to making this tonight, and it was even BETTER than I thought it would be :)

31. Alanna says:

Love this! So easy to make, very tasty, and as Katie said, it makes a TON of food! I ended up adding less zucchini to mine since my 6 qt slow cooker was already very full. I used one 40 oz can of kidney beans instead of the black bean / garbanzo bean combo and crushed tomatoes since that’s what I had on hand. Threw everything in the slow cooker at once (onions on the bottom, no pre-sauteing), and cooked 8 hours on low. This recipe is a keeper!

32. Liana says:

Hey i was just wondering do you drain the iquid off the beans or just throw everything in the pot?

1. Either! I’ve done it both ways :)

33. Renee Russo-Smith says:

I made this tonight and it was delicious! My husband can’t wait to have leftovers tomorrow (then I’ll probably freeze the rest for another time — it does make a lot, but that’s not a bad thing!). Thanks for the recipe! A keeper! :-)

34. Caitlin says:

If I were to make this in a crock pot, and put in on low in the morning would it be okay until 6ish?

35. Olivia says:

Love this recipe and love how you can freeze it!