Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

6 Ingredient Beer Bread Recipe

6 Ingredient Beer Bread - really easy to make, and goes well with everything!

No kneading, no waiting, and just 6 ingredients!

If you think making bread is difficult, this beer bread recipe will completely change your mind. I’m surprised I hadn’t posted the recipe until now! It’s a perfect end-of-summer bread that pairs well with comfort foods such as soups, stews, or chili.

Try it alongside either my Vegetarian Chili or Sweet Potato Chili.

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

In regard to beer, I normally use an Oatmeal Stout for the recipe. However, not wishing to make a special trip to the grocery store last night, I substituted what I had on hand: Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA. Still turned out delicious! The first time you try the recipe, I’d recommend using a lighter beer, especially if you’re not a fan of heavier flavors or the classic IPA hoppiness. After that, feel free to experiment with different beers and see how they change the resulting flavor of the bread.

The concept of beer bread has been around for quite a while, and you can find similar recipes in old cookbooks or perhaps even written down by your grandmother on an index card. What follows is my family’s version of the popular recipe. Hope you like it as much as we do!

Beer Bread

6 Ingredient Beer Bread

• 3 cups spelt or white flour (I’ve not tried, but a reader had success with oat flour) (380g)
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar or date sugar (liquid sweeteners work as well) (30g)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • optional, 2 cups shredded cheese such as Daiya
  • 12 oz beer of choice
  • optional, pats of buttery spread

Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9×5 loaf pan. In a large bowl, stir all dry ingredients very well. When the oven reaches the desired temperature, pour the liquid on top and stir until just evenly incorporated. Be sure not to mix too long or too vigorously. If desired, place pats of buttery spread along the top of the bread. Place on the middle rack and bake 45-55 minutes or until the loaf has risen, the top is firm, and a toothpick comes out clean from the center.

—> View Beer Bread Calories & Nutrition Facts <—

Beer Cheese Bread

Inside Out Peanut Butter Cups

Link of the Day: Inside Out Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

Tags: ,

1. Erica says:

I don’t have onion powder- do you think i can sub with garlic powder or just leave it out comepletely?

1. Erica says:

First comment!

1. You can easily leave it out. The bread recipe is pretty generous in terms of being able to play around with it. Someday I would like to try adding cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice and using pumpkin ale 🙂

1. Erica says:

Ok. Thanks! 🙂

2. I’ve never put cheese in my beer bread before… sounds good!!!!!

3. Interesting! Beer and cheese – reminds me of Welsh rabbit! I think I might try to make this gluten free, using gf beer. Nice idea 🙂

4. Wendy says:

This is the first time I’ve seen date sugar called for in one of your recipes. I recently bought some date sugar and was wondering how versatile it is. Can it be used in your recipes that call for “your sugar of choice”? I would love to use it if I can.

1. I would definitely think so, but I’ve only tried it in the ones noted. You can always experiment, and please report back when you do!

1. Wendy says:

OK, will do. I read that it doesn’t melt and so it not suitable for some things, but I’ll start trying it out and see how it goes.

5. This sounds delicious Katie, perfect with a hearty soup. Can’t wait to try, pinned! 😀

6. Kayla Capper says:

Can this bread be frozen once it’s baked?

1. I don’t see why not, but I haven’t tried it.

7. This is perfect for football season! Thanks for sharing 🙂

8. Susan says:

Anything with Dogfish Head beer in it would have to be good… 🙂 (We’ll be visiting them in a couple of weeks, really looking forward to that.) I’m curious to know if your nutrition facts are based on using the cheese or not. I’m assuming not, since you have listed it as an optional ingredient.

1. For nutrition calculations, optional ingredients are never included (unless specifically stated).

Enjoy Dogfish Head!

9. This is the easiest recipe for beer bread I’ve come across so far! Been meaning to make it for some time, thank you! 😀 x

10. Shannon says:

I have never tried a beer bread before! This looks simple enough… I will have to give it a try. I like your pumpkin spice idea!

11. RedEyedGhost says:

Katie, do you have a recipe for pumpkin bread? … was what I was going to ask before I read the comments. I think I’ll give your idea a try this weekend, with maybe a little bit of nutmeg too.

1. RedEyedGhost says:

Well January 6th doesn’t help me for this Fall 😛

1. I’m not allowed to post it, or I definitely would! It’s hard sitting on all of these recipes… Normally I like to share them as soon as I make them! 🙁

12. Brianne says:

Excellent recipe! So easy and with 6 simple ingredients. Thanks Katie!

13. Chloe says:

Does this bread taste like beer?

1. Megan says:

In my experience with beer breads, they don’t necessarily taste like beer, but like what the beer is made with (generally grains, similar to grains the bread is made with)
      Note though I started making beer breads well before I was much into drinking beer, which lead me to find at first I thought beer tasted rather like bread!

14. This looks delicious and so simple! I love beer bread. Can’t wait to try your recipe!

15. Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy says:

What an interesting concept 😛 but will this make you tipsy?

1. It’s only one beer for the entire recipe (8-10 servings). I also would think most of the alcohol cooks off during baking. However, I’m not a medical doctor so if you need to stay away from alcohol for any particular reason, it’s best to consult with a professional. 🙂

1. Heather Searcy says:

You might note that you can use non alcoholic beer, it still contains yeast. I made this today and its very good, I have saved your site in my favorites and look forward to making more yummy recipes.

16. Julie Gordon says:

That beer bread looks pretty good. I can’t wait to try making my own. I just hop it turns out as good as yours looks!

17. Jessica says:

I’ve seen a recipe (which I’m sure you could swap ingredients to make it whole grain) with just self-rising flour and beer. I’ve done a similar bread with ice cream and I think it would work. It’s nice because there’s nothing added!

18. Steph says:

Very interesting bread recipe- no kneading or sitting or anything.. cool!

19. Yum! I love anything that has a short ingredient list too!

20. Alexis says:

Hi Katie, I always love your recipes! You blog really helped me make the decision to go vegan. I love how easy and delicious everything is!