Healthy Homemade Chocolate Candies

No corn syrup, no refined sugar + YOU get to control the ingredients that go in. Full recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/02/05/heart-healthy-homemade-chocolate-candies/ @choccoveredkt

A kid-friendly recipe ♥

With under 5 minutes of prep work, these homemade candies are made with heart-healthy dark chocolate, antioxidant-rich pomegranate, and none of the refined sugar, corn syrup, or artificial ingredients you’d get in storebought chocolate candies. You can easily make them in any container or candy mold; I chose an ice cube maker, which can be found at most grocery stores or Bed Bath & Beyond.

pomegranate

The chocolates look fancy but are deceptively simple to make.

pom

chocolate covered pomegranate

How To Make Your Own Healthy Chocolate Candies In An Ice Cube Tray: no corn syrup, no refined sugar, YOU control the ingredients that go in http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/02/05/heart-healthy-homemade-chocolate-candies/ @choccoveredkt

pin-it

Chocolate Ice Cube Tray Candies

• fresh pomegranate seeds
  • chocolate chips OR a batch of Healthy Chocolate Sauce
  • ice cube tray or candy molds OR a pan lined with parchment if you wish to make chocolate pomegranate bark instead

If using the chocolate chips, melt them to make a sauce. (If you’ve never melted chocolate before, either google how to properly melt chocolate. You can also add about 1 tsp oil per cup of chocolate chips before melting to achieve a smoother sauce.) Place some chocolate sauce in the bottom of each mold—about 2 tsp if using ice cube trays. Place some pomegranate seeds on top—about 1 tsp if using ice cube trays. Finally, cover the seeds completely in more chocolate. Freeze to set the chocolate covered pomegranate candies. The chocolate chip version can be kept in either the fridge or freezer, and it can stay out at room temperature for a few hours if your home is not very hot. The healthy chocolate sauce version should be stored in the freezer.

View Chocolate Candies Nutrition Facts

Link Of The Day:

healthy chocolate mousse

Healthy Chocolate Mousse  (reader favorite recipe)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Sarah Elizabeth says:

Do you remember then approximately how much of a pomegranate you used for the whole ice cube tray (and how much chocolate sauce?). I’d like to make up a bunch of these and just don’t know how much I’ll need.

1. Hannah says:

Hi Sarah,
      It’s listed in the post amounts per ice cube tray, so just multiply. It’s also listed on the nutrition page if that helps.

2. Debbie says:

AWESOME! I can’t wait to make and I had bought a few sealed “cups” of pomegranate arils a couple of weeks ago and have yet to open them, so now I know what I want to do with them. Yahoo!!!

3. Hollie says:

Wow I would have never guessed how easy and fun those are too make. Thanks for sharing Katie and these are def a recipe I will be trying soon…probably a nice little treat for valentines day.

4. Bobcatstate says:

Can I use store bought dried blueberries or perhaps cherries in the recipe?

5. Liz says:

How do you think this would work with frozen pomegranate seeds?

6. Love Low Fat says:

Those look crazy good! Pomegranate seeds are the best!

7. Leslie says:

I bet these were good. I love pomegranate in my chocolate. Actually, I think i’d like almost anything in my chocolate, haha. Thanks for sharing!

8. Natasha says:

Ohhhh I will have to try this at some point! Looks really good

9. This is such a fantastic idea 😀 Who needs ice cubes anyway? Delicious 😀 x

10. Nicola says:

What a simple but brilliant idea! Love it.

11. These look so awesome!! I love how simple they are!

12. Shell says:

You should probably cover your chocolate with cling-film or similar before freezing, then you won’t get that condensation on the chocolate that you can see in *all* your photos. Wet chocolate is not good chocolate, but I would think you should know this already.

Also, calling melted chocolate a sauce is a bit of a stretch especially when it’s going to set hard at room temperature…

1. Sorry for the confusion. My ice cube tray actually comes with a cover, and I often add water with a spritzer bottle during a photoshoot because the shine helps in getting a good, non-dull shot. (If you look closely, you’ll probably notice water droplets in many of my recipe photos.) I may have gone overboard with the final photo; but if you look at the first picture you’ll notice a lack of water.

2. Steph says:

Passive-aggressive much?

13. Lauren says:

These sound and look lovely!

14. Do I need to spray my ice tray/candy mold with non-stick spray before pouring the chocolate in or do they just pop right out because of the oil in it? Also, I was wondering where you found an ice tray with a lid (I read the last comment)? Can’t wait to try these!

1. I did not have any problem popping either version out… but I guess it wouldn’t hurt if you want to be on the safe side.

I think I got them from Bed Bath Beyond a few years ago.

1. Fabulous! Thanks so much! Will have to see if I can find some! xo

15. Putting pomegranates in your homemade chocolates?! That’s something I didn’t think of, but I sounds wonderful! I love pomegranates & chocolate! Great kid-friendly recipe!

16. Catherine says:

These look wonderful and would make any Valentine happy!!!

17. Matea says:

Pomegranates and chocolate must go so well together! Love how quick this is to make 🙂

18. Saraquill says:

I’m curious about the pips. My attempt at cooking with pomegranate pips has lead to a very sour experience, or the fruit dissolving, leaving a pocket of mush and a not so flavorful seed. What would you do to counteract the taste/texture issues?

1. Pom seeds should definitely not be sour. Perhaps you got a bad fruit on that occasion?

19. Ahhh these look amazing and the fact that they are kid friendly means I probably can’t mess them up! 🙂 thanks!

20. Sussie says:

Looks amazing! I will definitely try it and post the result on my food blog 🙂