Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Healthy Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies {NO flour!}

So a blonde walks into a bar. Or in this case, the blonde is the bar! I’d tell you these Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies are healthy. But then, if you try them, you will think I am a liar and never believe another word I say. If you taste the chickpea blondies, you won’t believe they’re healthy!

Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies

Smart blondes do exist

Low in calories, rich in omega-3s, and gluten-free… These healthy blondies might just be the smartest blondies in the world. A new addition to the archives of Healthy Cookies – Over 100 Healthy Cookies Recipes

white bean blondies

For the past year, I’ve been seeing “black bean brownie” recipes popping up all over the blogworld. At first, I thought about joining in on the fun. (Edit: I eventually did end up doing a chocolate version. My healthy brownie recipe can be found by clicking on the following post: Black Bean Brownies.)

But I really enjoy putting a different, creative spin on old trends. Hmmm… now how to put a new spin on black bean brownies? The answer was so simple, even a blonde could have thought of it: White Bean Blondies! And they have no eggs and no flour! The resulting chickpea blondies are so moist and fudgey.

Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies

Healthy Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies {NO flour!}

Total Time: 30m
Yield: 8x8 pan
Print This Recipe 5/5
Healthy Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies {NO flour!}
5/56

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 can, drained and rinsed) (250g after draining)
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • level 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar (See note below, for substitutions)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup ground flax or quick oats (20g)
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter or allergy-friendly alternative
  • optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips (Not “optional” if you’re CCK!)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients (except chips) until very smooth in a good food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and scoop into a greased (or parchment-lined) 8×8 pan. Optional: for “prettiness” you can stick some chocolate chips on top of the batter as well. Bake for around 30 minutes. They’ll look a little undercooked when you take them out, but they firm up as they cool, and you don’t want them to get hard.

View Chickpea Blondies Nutrition Information

*Sugar note: I also made a batch using stevia, which I thought were delicious! But my friends informed me they tasted like bars of soap. Therefore, I’ll keep making the stevia version, but just for myself… a tray of blondies all to oneself is never a bad thing! (Edit: commenters have had success with subbing the sugar with xylitol, evaporated cane juice, or coconut sugar. Please feel free to try any of the ideas people have left in the comment section. However, I can only vouch for the results if you make the recipe as written.)

healthy blondies

Since the they have garbanzo beans, I could’ve called them “hummus blondies.”

But um, ewww? 😉
Time for a serious discussion…

I have a sneaky suspicion that many so-called “dumb blondes” are not really as dumb as they seem. They just act dumb for attention and because they think guys think it’s cute. Sadly, it seems, they’re often right. Many guys are intimidated by smart girls and therefore find ditziness attractive.

Look at Jessica Simpson and Paris Hilton. I’d argue these girls are much smarter than their actions convey. Both have played up the dumb-blonde image in order to make names for themselves, and Jessica Simpson even scored contracts with Pizza Hut and Chicken of the Sea as direct results of dumb-blonde moments. (It’s not just blondes, either. Think of Snooki!)

Did you know any of these girls in high school? I remember the notorious dumb blonde in my high school once remarking, Wait, wood comes from trees? I thought they made wood in factories!” Yet this girl was in accelerated math and English classes, as well as in the top 10% of the class. Something didn’t equate… or did it? After such statements as these, the boys always laughed. This girl was not dumb; she knew airhead remarks such as the above would win her popularity and romance. On the other hand, girls who are studious, eloquent, and assertive are often labeled as nerds (or worse).

Link Of The Day:

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

932 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
    • Chocolate-Covered Katie says

As I told another commenter, I’ve never tried these with flour in place of the beans. But I want to! I want to try spelt flour or maybe even ww pastry. If you do try it with chickpea flour, I’d be VERY interested to know the results! 🙂

1. Victoria says

I am a blond, and believe me I have seen some dumb people in high school. Sadly enough, It wasn’t limited to just blonds. On girl (brunette) said that she thought turkey “came from the ground” like a plant, not that it was an animal. She was also in AP English. Umm, if your going to act dumb, at least say something halfway believable.

2. Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) says

Oh yes, the “dumb blonde” in our grade was in my Honors classes with me. She just said dumb things to get attention. She said stuff like the “wood” thing you mentioned plus other annoying things! Hated it!

On a lighter note, these look DELICIOUS!

3. Alyssa Lemus says

I’m new to following your blog and not only do I want to thank you for making HEALTHY DESSERTS HELLO! but….thank you for including nutritional stats. Not alot of blogs do that they just portion control eat and eat healthy but I still believe calories matter because thats how Ive been able to lose 50 pounds and keep it off, now I am 110 and feel great! 🙂 Thanks a gain love your desserts!

4. Amy says

These looks great! I can only hope Paris Hilton is only playing dumb.. And I don’t see why everyone doesn’t love nerds!

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

Honestly, I love nerds… maybe I’m weird, but intelligence attracts me! Like guys who know how to use proper grammar and use big SAT words without thinking (i.e. not just doing it to show off)? Way more impressive than a motorcycle ;).

5. Gen says

Can’t WAIT to make these!!! 😀 Great recipes!
    And by the way, I agree with you on dumb blondes not being dumb. Its a stereotype and I guess some people figure that they’ll be more popular if they live up to it……but really do they want to be known as the airhead for life?

6. Pxoxo says

Yum can’t wait to try these! About the “dumb blonde” thing, even though I am a brunette and booksmart I often speak without thinking so I can come across as kinda stupid even though I get As all the time. I don’t try to sound dumb so while I do think some people purposely act dumb for attention, not everyone does if you get me. Love all your recipes btw!

7. Hannah says

Katie you are amazing. I wouldn’t mind if you moved to san francisco and just baked me stuff all the time, haha. Eh, those type of girls followed me to college. I go to fashion school, and some girls are just dense.

8. Mari says

These look delicious! I bet the stevia ones wouldn’t taste like soap to me. 🙂

As for the “dumb blonde” thing, I have to agree with you. I think people are more likely to want to be around you if you’re a bit dim, because there seems to be this notion that smarter people will just sit around and judge you and your wits.

As a brunette who is constantly reminded of how smart she is (or at least, how smart people perceive her to be) I do admit to having said some purposefully dumb things to get a laugh out of people. But it’s not as though I want attention; I just want people to loosen up around me! I was once told by my friends that I was intimidating because I act too old for my age and that they get nervous when they speak with me, so I try to… tone it down, I guess? But I’d never go so far as to claim that I thought wood came from trees unless I was being facetious! I happen to enjoy my intelligence and integrity; it just doesn’t hurt to show people once in a while that I’m not an automaton. 😉

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

You have a good point! I guess it’s like so-called “pretty” people often marrying or dating not-so-pretty people. They don’t want to share the limelight. People are self-absorbed by nature, and therefore want to surround themselves with people who will make THEM look good. So if you’re around ditsy people… it makes you, yourself, seem smarter? Maybe? Hehe I’m not a psychology student; can ya tell? 😉

9. Sandra says

I tried this recipe today but blending everything was a hassle since they are all dry ingredients. I added some rice milk in order to get the blender going. The result was pretty good, it tastes very good and I used stevia :p

10. Meghan says

I really want to try making these with just stevia. I saw above that you don’t want to give out that recipe, but I was just wondering if it changed he consistency a lot. I use liquid stevia extract so I’m not sure if it would be necessary to add something else to them for the missing sugar. Let me know what you think! Thanks!
    Meghan

11. Ragnhild says

Katie, Katie, where do you get your ideas? These looks totaly yummi, and i love that they are fudgey!
    Haha, that girl in your class was smart! Boys seems to like us a little.. short 😛

12. Lauren says

I definitely agree some blondes definitely play up the “dumb blonde” for attention even if they are smart. I know that some people can just be really smart but lack common sense too.

13. Little Bookworm says

These blondies sound really interesting – love the idea of using nut butter and chocolate in them! For your ‘Hug a Vegan Dessert’ post, do pancake recipes count?

14. Brandi says

I will definitely be trying these, is it possible they could be sweetened with brown rice syrup or would that be to mushy of a mixture?

I completely agree on your suspicion. Although I have met some people that can be a little slower(not dumb, but has those moments), but I’ve known girls with all different hair colors that are like that.

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

Hey Brandi! I would’ve thought it would be too mushy… but apparently a commenter after you said she did make it with liquid syrup (agave, if I remember correctly) and it was fine! If you do try it, let me know how it works out! 🙂

15. Jeanie says

Katie,

Yummo! Now, you are talking my language! I will switch up a little (because of food/diet restrictions) and then be able to eat these! I’m sure that they are good!
    I agree with Emily K. You are a genius!

16. Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) says

No joke, I am making these RIGHT NOW!! I’ll tell you how much I love them in a bit… 😀

17. Lisa says

yum! I do like blondies, but i made some the other day and they came out so yucky. i felt so bad for wasting all that perfectly good flour and brown sugar!!
    ill have to try your version- gotta find flaxseed first!! 🙂

18. Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) says

I graduated from h.s. at age 16, and from college at age 20 with a double major, magna cum laude, and I am blond 🙂

Blonds arent always dumb. 🙂

But…Sometimes it helps to get ahead by playing a little dumb in life…I really dont want to learn how to change a tire, and I will act a bit dumb and someone will help me is my logic. But I could do this if I was brunette or red headed. Wouldnt matter.

Sometimes it DOES help to use our femininity, which is different than “dumb-ness” to get ahead (much to the chagrin of feminists) but life is a balancing act….with food, exercise, vegan or not, acting dumb or not…to each her own. You have to use whatcha got 🙂

Beans in baked goods. Now that’s a move I still havent jumped on board with! I made white choc blondies last week. But they were not, ahem, “healthy” 🙂

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

Haha oh Averie, I agree with you! People ask if I am a feminist, and I say that I’m not, because I really do love the fact that guys are “supposed” to be the ones to ask a girl out, and I like male chivalry, i.e. when they hold doors open, give you their coats… and it doesn’t hurt when they offer to pay! 😉

19. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

Love the look of these blondies!

And chocolate chips are never “optional” — always required.

20. The Teenage Taste says

I can totally name a few girls like that at my school. They act stupid around guys to get attention, yet they are all in the Honors and AP classes. It’s totally weird. 😕
    As for these blondies…YUM! I haven’t gotten a chance to try out black bean brownies before, but when I do I’ll make sure to try these blondies too! 😀

Ha…that rhymed! ^^^

21. Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission says

“Smart Blondes do Exist.” Like, amen! hahahhaa. These look absolutely amazing!

22. Alyssa says

Maybe you could call them Yumb blond(ie)s?

We had a girl like that in HS too, of course. She was actually a brilliant writer, but acted as if she didn’t know the color of an orange.
    I wonder what she’s up to these days.