Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake in a Mug

This is the kind of recipe that will make you want to leave your boyfriend if you have one.

A "single-serving" chocolate cake that can be made in your microwave, tastes like a Reeses peanut butter cup, and is under 150 calories for the entire recipe: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/10/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake-in-a-mug/

Or at least lock him outside for an hour. A girl needs her space when chocolate and peanut butter are involved.

No boys allowed.

1 Minute Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

Above, topped with Healthy Coffee Fudge Frosting.

Peanut Butter Cake in a Mug

Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake

(single-serving)

Adapted from One-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake.

• 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp cocoa powder (8g)
    • 3 tablespoons powdered peanut butter (PB2 or Betty Lou’s) (For substitutions, see “nutrition facts” link below) (18g)
    • scant 1/16 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp sugar or xylitol (omit if you like bitter chocolate cake) (4g)
    • 1/4 tsp baking powder
    • pinch stevia OR 1 additional tablespoon sugar
    • 2 tsp coconut or veg oil, or mashed banana or applesauce (I personally don’t like the fat-free option and recommend the oil, but I’m adding the option because I know many of you don’t mind the taste/texture of the lower-fat version.) (8g)
    • 3 tablespoons milk of choice (45g)
    • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Mug Cake Recipe: Combine dry ingredients and mix very, very well. Add liquid, stir, then transfer to a little dish, 1-cup ramekin, or even a coffee mug. If using the microwave: cook 1 minute 25 seconds (time may vary, depending on your microwave’s wattage). If you don’t want to eat it straight out of the dish, be sure to spray your dish first (and then wait for the cake to cool before trying to remove it). You can cook this in an oven if you prefer, but you’ll have to experiment to find the correct amount of time.

View Mug Cake Nutrition Facts

1 Minute Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

Peanut Butter Cake

Were you friends with boys growing up? Or did you think boys had cooties?

When I was really little, I was friends with all the boys. They had better toys! Swords and transformers and legos beat playing House any day. I never even heard the idea boys had cooties until third grade, and by then I already knew that wasn’t true.

LINK OF THE DAY:

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

221 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Alyssa says

I was more friends with girls growing up, but later in life I’ve found myself more akin to men. I seem to get along better with them 🙂

Cake looks awesome! Not enough to share, that’s for sure!

2. Laura says

I was friends with everyone, but my one best friend was a shy little boy. He’s timid, I’m outgoing, It was perfect! Just like this recipe! 😉

3. kris says

KATIE!!!! You have outdone yourself with this one! I couldn’t wait to try the cooked cake so I tasted just the batter….tastes just like a peanut butter cup!!! YUM!!! Mine is in the oven baking right now…counting down the minutes until it is done!

4. Heather says

Oh my, I haven’t been on your site for a while, so when I saw the new banner– you’re blonde!!! Don’t get me wrong, it looks nice on you, but I think you are drop dead gorgeous with brown hair in the picture you have with the link to the “About Me” page, it just brings out your beautiful eyes so much more. So, if you get tired of the maintenance of dealing with roots, don’t fear that you will lose any beauty- not the case!

5. Alanna says

I was definitely more friends with boys than girls (even now)… guys are so much more laid-back, and there’s no judging or mind-games, which I appreciate. I love my girl friends, too, but I make friends with guys more easily than women.

I may have to get some PB2 or try this with regular PB instead of the oil… sounds delicious! And I love the new header / banner pic, although I second Heather that your eyes really stand out with darker hair. Gorgeous both ways, though! 🙂

6. Life's a Bowl says

Yum! I think it’ll be hard to kick the husband out of the house if he knows that I’m making one of these sweet treats- both of our hearts flutter for chocolate + peanut butter 😛

7. Samantha Hoke says

Thank you so much for this recipe! 🙂 I hope I can make it replace my old chocolate brownie cake recipe (which is good, but too hefty calorie-wise in my opinion, being around 600kcal) which was simply 4 tbsp flour, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, dash of salt, 4 tbsp sugar, and 2 tbsp oil. Cutting it in half might help maybe… hm. 🙂 and it puts my PB2 to use!

• Lara says

Haha – you just have to leave it on your hair for about 30-60 mins (and use old towels so the concentrated bleach in it doesn’t ruin your good ones), but it will totally cause the sun to make your hair blonde…amazing!

8. Peanut Butter Bunny says

It looks so good… I want it.
    It was fun to PRETEND cooties were real sometimes. XD That way we didn’t have to share treats!!
    The new header is so cute, Katie! Your hair kind of matches the white, ’cause of the brightness. ^^’ I. Love. The pink.

9. alloyjane says

Love the new header. The other one was kinda forgettable in that I already don’t remember what it looked like, lol.

Oh boys. I love boys, I wanted to be one when I was a kid and considering most of my friends were male, I kinda thought I was one. I love my female friends but there are things that you can do with dudes that most females are too sensible to agree to. Plus, guy friends don’t care what you look like as long as you can run like hell wearing those shoes, lol.

10. Shannon says

I’ve had a container of PB2 in my pantry for a while now, but straight up peanut butter always tempts me more. Thanks for the delish recipe that makes PB2 kinda sexy! What a perfect sweet ending to my day. I topped it with a bit of buttercream frosting I had left over from “Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World,” and it rocked. Thank you, Katie!

When I was a kid, I played with boys and girls. When I got a little older, I went through a phase where I thought boys were so much cooler, but I’m glad that’s over. Ladies are the best! Just glancing through the comments, there are some harsh judgements (uptight, manipulative, gossip obsessed) about women that make me sad. Also, some seem to think they can only be themselves around boys, and that breaks my heart! Here’s a BIG supportive, non-judgmental virtual hug from one awesome lady to another. You’ll have to excuse my feminist perspective, but I really believe that the “boys club” will only dissolve when we stop striving to be apart of it, and instead support each other.

11. Anonymous says

I LOVE, Love, love that you have single serve recipes!!! I am trying to lose weight and have NO willpower when it comes to baked goods so if I make a whole cake I will eat the whole thing within a couple days!!

Thank you Katie!!!!

• bob says

Do you have a food processor, high powered blender or coffee grinder? If so, you can make your own! I would recommend toasting the peanuts a little first for best flavour = )

12. Amanda says

I’m not sure what happened! I used all the ingredients you recommended except I used Pure VIa instead of Stevia (1 Tbsp, because it says 1 to 1 conversion with sugar). It came out kind of dry, not very sweet, and not too peanut-buttery! Maybe I need to reduce the microwave time? Should I use sugar instead of Pure Via? I love the quick recipes because if I make a whole recipe i’ll eat the whole thing myself!

13. Melissa says

I am wondering…can I mix this the night before and have it ready to microwave in the morning. I halved he recipe today and tried it, it was not bad…used almond milk, and coconut sugar. Not bad…a but bitter.

14. Ashley says

The batter and what I could eat of the result tasted amazing and I would like to try it again. But it exploded in the microwave! What did I do wrong? It didn’t seem overcooked (the stuff left in the mug) if anything undercooked. Can I place something on top? Let me know if you have ideas. Like I said, it tasted great, it would just be nice to have it all in one place.

P.S. I think this site is great. You are an inspiration Katie!

• Anonymous says

Maybe your microwave is too strong! Or try a bigger mug. Mine didn’t explode. I think my microwave is like 1000 watts or something.

15. Lucy San says

My very first friend was a boy. My best friend now is a guy. I just tend to get on better with the male of the species. 🙂