Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Healthy Blueberry Muffins

Bursting with ripe, sweet, juicy blueberries, these soft and super healthy blueberry muffins are completely delicious!

Easy Vegan Blueberry Muffins

Easy Healthy Blueberry Muffins

Kid Friendly

Whole Grain

Vegan Option

Freezer Friendly

Can Be Oil Free

This secretly healthy blueberry muffin recipe is packed with fresh blueberry flavor and is perfect for a wholesome breakfast, brunch, or anytime snack. The muffins are freezer friendly and great for meal prep!

Also Try These Oatmeal Muffins

Fresh Blueberries

Can I use frozen blueberries?

Yes, just thaw them first. Because frozen berries are so delicate, the muffins will be more purple thanks to the bursting berries, but they taste just as good!

How do I make vegan blueberry muffins?

These low calorie and healthy muffins are naturally egg free and vegan as long as you use a dairy free milk (such as almond milk or oat milk) in the recipe. The baking powder makes them super fluffy – no need for flax eggs!

Blueberry muffin ingredients

The simple recipe calls for just a few basic ingredients, most of which can probably be found in your pantry. If you want to make fat free muffins, you can sub the oil for applesauce, yogurt, or mashed banana. I’ve had success using spelt, oat, white (all purpose), or gluten free all purpose flour for gluten free blueberry muffins. I haven’t tried almond or coconut flour in this recipe, but be sure to report back if you try.

(If you’re looking for a healthy muffin recipe with almond flour and no sugar, try these Keto Muffins.)

Trending Now: Easy Cinnamon Rolls – Just 4 Ingredients

Healthy Blueberry Muffin Recipe

How do you serve the muffins?

Eat them plain

Frost with coconut butter or vegan cream cheese

Crumble them into Greek yogurt or on top of oatmeal

Or serve as a healthy dessert – try topping each clean eating blueberry muffin with your favorite jam and coconut whipped cream, for a fun twist on strawberry shortcake!

Leftover Berries? Try This Blueberry Crisp Recipe

Above – Watch the video how to make healthy blueberry muffins!

How To Make The Best Healthy Blueberry Muffins

Recipe adapted from my Banana Muffins Recipe and Blueberry Bread Recipe.

Pin it now to save for laterPin Recipe

Healthy Blueberry Muffins

Soft healthy blueberry muffins that are perfect for breakfast or snack.
4.78/5 (9)
Total Time 21 minutes
Yield 12 -14 muffins

Ingredients

• 1 cup milk of choice
  • 4 tsp white or cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp oil or almond butter, or mashed banana, yogurt, or applesauce for fat-free
  • 2 cups spelt, white, oat, or gf all purpose flour (for flourless, make these Keto Blueberry Muffins)
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and optional pinch cardamom
  • 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • sugar of choice (see note below)
  • 1 1/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (165g blueberries)

Instructions

• For muffins, you only need 1/2 cup sugar for the entire recipe. For blueberry cupcakes, simply increase sugar to 3/4 cup. Xylitol can be used for sugar-free muffins.
    Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease or line a muffin tin. In a large bowl, combine wet ingredients. Stir in remaining ingredients except blueberries. Pour wet into dry, and stir until just evenly mixed. If batter is dry (which might happen if you pack the flour too much, especially if using white), add just a little more milk. Gently stir in berries only until evenly mixed. It’s important to not over-stir, which could break the berries. Pour into the muffin tins and bake 21 minutes. Muffins should look perfectly domed when you take them out. Allow to sit 10 minutes before removing from the tins. If you let them sit–loosely covered–overnight, the liners peel off easily the next day too.
    View Nutrition Facts

Have you made this recipe?

Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram

More Healthy Breakfast Recipes

The Best Easy Healthy Applesauce Muffins

Applesauce Muffins

Overnight Oats Recipes

Overnight Oats

The Best Soft Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

Vegan Cinnamon Rolls

Flourless Banana Bread Recipe

Flourless Banana Bread

Green Healthy Avocado Smoothie (Vegan, Keto)

Avocado Smoothie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

160 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Sarah says

I just discovered your website and I LOOOOOVE it!!! I tried a few recipies and they turned out fantastically delicious!!

I tried this blueberry muffin recipie and I’m not sure what I am doing wrong since the amount of liquid just didn’t seem to be enough. I had to add way more to combine everything. The same thing happened with the chocolate chip cookies. Is this normal?
    Thanks!

2. Sandy says

These are delicious!! They are so moist. Just made them this morning because my daughter wanted cupcakes. Thought this would be better for her 🙂 She loved eating the batter too–figured we could because there are no eggs in the batter. Thanks for sharing.

3. Vered says

Hi Katie,
    I made these at home with frozen mixed berries and it came out lovely. Although, in my oven it took about 30-35 minutes, but I think I may have made them bigger (I cut the ingredients in half and got 5 muffins instead of 7).
    A photo of the muffins is attached here: http://ge.tt/3lMLyyq/v/0?c
    Thanks 🙂

4. Sollie Jones says

I understand the value of a farmers market is freshness, but wouldn’t it be the same as the store…? –You still don’t know the chemicals which are used on it.

Its so refreshing to see delicious healthy recipes…. I get tired of seeing those junky temptations.

5. Ace says

In the process of making these… A few minutes after putting them in the oven, I realized I forgot to put the oil! I’m curious as to how they’ll be now…

6. Hillary says

I made these just now and they turned out horribly wrong. I wanted blueberry muffins, and my boyfriend wanted lemon poppy seed. We compromised and I added almond extract, chia seeds, and blueberries. It did NOT work out.
    Do you have any recommendations on how to substitute chia seeds for poppy seeds? I know they make a gel with liquid, but didn’t alter the measurements. I also used half spelt and half oat flour, so that might also be why it had such a gummy texture. I think even if I hadn’t undercooked them it would’ve had this texture.
    This is the first time I’ve failed at baking. I’m super depressed.

7. Sofia says

Hi!!!
    I’m from Colombia and sometimes I can’t find some of the ingredients can you help me please, I love your blog but I can´t do like the half of the recipes.
    1. spelt flour: can I use oat flour or quinua flour insted of the spelt?
    2. dates: I dont know what to use
    Sofia

8. Hannah says

How much batter do you fill in each muffin tin? (i.e. do you account for them to rise? I don’t want to under/overpour.)

Muffins without eggs seem interesting! Are these muffins just as tasty and moist?

Hoping to make these today or tomorrow. Thank you!

9. Heather says

I love spelt flour, and I’m so glad you posted this recipe! I substituted honey for the sugar (1:1) and they turned out great :).

10. Sara Marie says

hahahahahahahahaha I just made this recipe! I didn’t read properly and added xanthan gum even though I was using whole wheat four!!! hahahahaha!!!! this thing is so lumpy and weird!!! just came out of the oven, I think it will still taste nice 🙂 but it’s the funniest looking thing I have ever baked 😉 thanks for the recipe

11. Krystal says

Hi Katie,
    I was wondering if you knew about how many calories were in each muffin. I work in a medical clinic with a doctor whos diet consists of bread, chocolate, and coffee. Time for a change and these muffins i’m making tonight. The clinic will be happy! Thank you

12. Corinne says

Wow, just discovered your and I’m going to bake the healthy blueberry muffins. Looking forward to making these and trying out other recipes here as well. Trying to make better-for-you desserts for my family. : )

• Kyla says

You cannot substitute frozen berries- I know that for sure. I tried it, and the muffins came out great, but the blueberries were horrid. I wouldn’t suggest frozen berries- if you don’t have blueberries, then just don’t use any berries at all.

13. Valerie says

Upon mixing my ingredients together, I wound up with a shaggy, dry dough more akin to bread dough or pizza crust. I added 1/2 cup water and 1 egg to achieve a batter-like consistency. Anybody else have a similar experience?

14. carlena kritsin says

OMG i made these with spelt flower and i baked twelve, I have to say i was not expecting them to be so good. They were in fact so good my family barley had any i was just coming back for more i am definitely making these again.

15. Kerstin Decker says

Katie, help, I had the chance of buying the most beautiful blueberries here. I live in Central Florida on the West Coast, close to the Ocean. So today I decided to make your blueberry muffins So I made them the first time and followed the recipe and at the end thought that the dough was very thick so I added a bit more non dairy milk to it and then my berries and baked them the way you said. Well, they did not come out like your picture. They are not bad and I make my husband eat them anyway, but I started over and followed the recipe exactly then baked them the given time , but the muffins are not rounded. What did I do wrong?Help Help , they taste good, but I guess they are not right, thank you, Kerstin Decker

16. Betty Ann says

gave my cousin your almond butter oatmeal cookie recipe that I received this week. She made them and brought me a sample. The baking soda takes over the flavour and we both thought they were terrible. I then made them tonight thinking I could do better. I followed recipe 100% and mixed extremely well. Same prevalent baking soda taste.

17. Anon says

I made these today with raspberries, 1/4 cup tahini instead of oil, and 1/3 cup maple syrup as the sweetener. They were phenomenal and I love that they contain no egg! Thanks for the recipe Katie!

18. Kim says

Hi Katie

I just lurve your website and your recipes! So simple and delicious. Can I sub frozen blueberries for fresh ones? And if so, should I let them defrost first? Thanks heaps.

Kim

19. Letitia says

Hi there.

For the blueberry muffin recipe, you have the serving size in terms of grams. What would that be per muffin? Does more muffin = 53 grams?

20. B says

Dear Katie!

I made these muffins with wholemeal spelt flour.They turned out kinda great,but they are too consistent I think because when i put it out of the oven they were kinda high and then they just fall off so they are not that airy. I mean I know that I can’t expect the same as regular muffins it is just weird a little bit so I wonder where I might went wrong? I used some more than 240 mg milk because it was too sticky.Maybe that was the problem that i should leave them that sticky and try to put in the muffin tins…I don’t know. Please tell me if You know what’s wrong. Anyways i would like to make them again because they are jummy!
    Thanks for the recipe and for all of the others!Great blog! Best wishes! 🙂

• Unofficial CCK Helper says

The recipe is good as is and does not need the extra milk you added, which would have contributed to your strange texture. Also see Katie’s Recipe FAQ page at the top of the blog for troubeshooting information on recipes.

21. Ashley says

These are AMAZING. I was reading over the comments and looking for someone who had already made them to get a review (as I am a blueberry muffin snob) but it seemed like everyone was just excited about making them. No end result. So I’m here to say this recipe is genius, Katie is absolutely fabulous and the muffins are phenomenal. Moist with just enough weight to them. I added just a pinch of raw turbinado sugar to the tops of each muffin for a little extra sweetness and crunch. I just took them out of the oven and I’ve already eaten three.

22. ERIN says

I just made these along with the copy cat Brownie Vita tops. Both are super delicious. This is my second time making the blueberry muffins. The 1st time I made the mini’s. My question is can I freeze them and then defrost as needed? My family is coming into town in a couple weeks and I want to share these with them. Please let me know if I should freeze or refrigerate. They will be here in 2 weeks. Thanks.

23. Shanan says

Just tried these today and they worked first time YAY! Yum. Not too sweet, I used raw honey that had gone candied and frozen blueberries. Will add this to my spelt repertoire! I need more spelt recipes to work off the bat!