Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Zucchini Brownies – Secretly GOOD For You!

Soft, homemade, and secretly healthy chocolate fudge zucchini brownies:

Rich, fudgy, moist chocolate brownies - with a secret! The zucchini makes these brownies MELT-IN-YOUR-MOUTH without the fat… This recipe is to die for! https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/31/healthy-chocolate-fudge-zucchini-brownies/ @choccoveredkt

pin-it

Zucchini brownies that are vegan, gluten free, grain free, and flourless, with both paleo and keto options as well!

But most importantly, they just taste really, ridiculously good. If you want to make the zucchini brownies keto-friendly, just sub yogurt– such as coconutmilk yogurt–for the applesauce.

Be sure to use the flour listed in the recipe, as I haven’t tried it with any others and coconut flour generally can not be substituted for regular flour in a 1-to-1 ratio when baking, because it is actually not really flour at all! There’s a frosting recipe included in the recipe, or you can choose to frost them with my recipe for Chocolate Frosting Shots.

Here are some more zucchini brownies:

Rich, chocolatey, moist, fudgy brownies from @choccoveredkt with a secret ingredient – zucchini! The recipe is to die for! https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/31/healthy-chocolate-fudge-zucchini-brownies/

Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Brownies

pin-it

But once the zucchini brownies meet me, they will quickly disappear, as if by magic.

That’s what happens when you leave me alone in a room of brownies.

And now I am dreaming of being left alone in a room full of brownies…

Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Brownies, with keto and vegan options!

This zucchini brownie recipe has quickly become one of my personal favorite recipes on the entire blog – and it’s a huge reader favorite as well! They are soft and moist and oh-so fudgy… You will fall in LOVE!

pin-it

Zucchini Brownies

Zucchini Brownies – Secretly GOOD For You!

Total Time: 20m
Yield: 20-24 squares
Print This Recipe 4.82/5
Zucchini Brownies - Secretly GOOD For You!
4.82/544

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup shredded zucchini (100g)
  • 1/3 cup applesauce, or yogurt such as coconutmilk yogurt (80g)
  • 1 cup + 2 tbsp water (270g)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp flaxmeal (18g)
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil (115g)
  • 3/4 cup cocoa powder (65g)
  • 1 cup coconut flour (135g) (Coconut-free recipes are linked at the very bottom of this post)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup sugar, or xylitol for sugar-free (150g)
  • 1/16 tsp uncut stevia, or 2 extra tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, optional

Instructions

Recipe for zucchini brownies: Preheat oven to 350F, and line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the first 6 ingredients and let sit at least 5 minutes. (Tip: shred zucchini in a food processor for fine shreds.) Combine all other ingredients in a separate bowl, and stir very well. Pour wet into dry, stir until evenly mixed, then pour into the baking dish. Using a full sheet of parchment or wax paper, press down very firmly until the brownie batter evenly covers the pan. Bake 19-20 minutes, then pat down hard with a pancake spatula or another sheet of parchment. (If still undercooked, it’s fine. Just fridge overnight and they’ll firm up!) Let zucchini brownies sit 15 minutes before trying to cut into squares, and if at all possible wait until the next day to eat them. They will be twice as flavorful! Tip: as a general rule, cutting brownies with a plastic knife prevents crumbling. Makes 20-24 squares.

View Nutrition Facts

Frost the brownies with either my recipe for Chocolate Frosting Shots or with the following:

• 1/2 cup cocoa powder (40g)
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup or agave (30g)
  • 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil, melted (75g)

Mix frosting ingredients together to form a sauce. Spread sauce over the zucchini brownies, then fridge or freeze 10-20 minutes and the sauce magically transforms into fudgey chocolate frosting! These brownies taste much richer the next day, after the flavors have had a chance to intensify. Due to the melty nature of the frosting, frosted brownies are best stored in the fridge or freezer (they thaw well). These healthy brownies are high in fiber and Vitamin C, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, vegan, low in sugar (or sugar-free), and they even offer Omega 3s!

Coconut-Free Brownie Recipes:

Sweet Potato Brownies

Black Bean Brownies

The Best Vegan Brownies

—> ALL of my healthy brownie recipes

4.82/5 (44)

Published on May 31, 2013

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

585 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Jessica Harri says

I made these tonight with my boys for my youngest’s 5th birthday. He gets store bought cupcakes at school tomorrow so I wanted something we could all really enjoy tonight!! Delicious! I have not been a fan of coconut flour but these are amazing. I was impressed at the amount it made! I used the coconut oil/cocoa flour frosting and added half cup almond butter. The birthday boy said they tasted like Peanut butter cups!!! Yum! Thanks!

2. Amy says

Ok, dumb question here. I used parchment paper to pat down the batter into the pan, but it all came back up when I tried to pull he paper off. So, after reading the directions again with no answer, I decided to leave the paper on and bake it. Giant gooey mess. Now the paper will come off, but they’re not even close to being baked at all. Can we just spread the batter like normal brownie batter, or is this pat down version necessary. I’m not sure I understand it, and I obviously didn’t do something right.

• Unofficial CCK Helper says

You can just spread down. But no matter what, you should let them cool and then refrigerate them even if the batter doesn’t look firm when you take them out. Refrigerating overnight without a cover will firm them up.

3. Kate says

My mom made a batch of these and mailed them to me at college. By the time they got here, the icing had melted all over the place, but after I stuck them in the fridge for a while it hardened up again. They were infused with fudge, coated in fudge, soaked in fudge…it was amazing! Totally kicked my chocolate craving…

4. ellianna rain says

I drooled over these the first time I stumbled upon your blog -I had to make them that day and so made them with a few tweeks, oat flour instaed of coconut and grated apples for applesause. They were thinner than your pics but super fudgy and delicious -I have told everyone that talks to me about your blog!.. Today I tried them again using the correct recipe and ingredients and I am surprised that they are crumbly-er and grainy-er.. hmmm.. it is my first time with coconut flour, maybe they cooked too long ?

5. Michelle Derus says

Hi Katie. I am “new” to healthy alternative cooking. In the fudge zuccini brownies can I use flour? Also will frozen ziccini work? I have an abundance from my garden. Can’t wait to try some recipes!

6. sally says

Just made these for the first time and they are great. Waited till the next day and sliced with a plastic knife and got perfect rectangles. Thanks for another great recipe. I’m going to try your bean ones next week. xo

7. Rosemarie says

Katie, thank you for all these fantastic recipes. I’ve made a bunch of them and never posted, but I just had to post about these brownies.

I made them on Sunday and just finished the last one five minutes ago. SO SO delicious and moist. I didn’t have xylitol, so I used agave. Didn’t have pure stevia, so I used a pack of Truvia. Used melted coconut oil for the fat, and Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa. They are fudgy, moist and FLUFFY! That’s probably because I forgot the “pat down” step after they were cooked – but I think I’ll skip that step again when I make them tomorrow. They were light as air. One interesting thing we noted – they were good the first day (had them with vanilla bean coconut milk “ice cream”), but they were AMAZING the second day, and every day after they just got better. Only reason they lasted this long is that there are only two of us in the house…and that STILL comes out to two brownies each every day…although I’m pretty sure I ate most of my husband’s portion… 🙂

8. Patsy says

Hi, I was reviewing your brownie recipe and had a question regarding the sweetner. I like to use Agave as my sweetener of choice. How would I alter this recipe so I could use the Agave vs xylitol or other sugar? Thanks so much

9. Olivia says

Oh my, these look heavenly! Why do you press on the brownies after they’ve been baked? I would imagine that would squish them and make them harder to remove from the pan without crumbling.

10. Alison says

The first time I made these I baked in a 9×13 pan and they were too thin, as in only a centimeter thick so crumbled and had to be eaten with a spoon. This time I used a pan half that size and they are a good thickness, like regular brownies.

• Jules says

Thank You for that info, good to know before I begin making these. I will use a smaller pan or double the recipe! If you decide to make the Tiramisu, triple the recipe or it will be way too thin!

11. Chocolate Covered Katie says

It is definitely a “dark chocolate” taste. As for the cooking, have you looked through the Recipe FAQ page at the top of the blog? If that doesn’t help, please do report back with more specifics so hopefully I can help.

12. Donna Hobbs says

These are one of the yummiest things I’ve ever eaten Katie!!! Thanks so much for this recipe! They are a “staple” at our house. Thanks again! Donna

13. alla says

I made these and I totally love them! Amazing recipe ..thank you 🙂 I made the frosting with carob instead of cocoa and it gives them such a great flavour! 🙂

14. Jennifer Sommer says

I must be doing something wrong…. Does anyone use parchment paper to “press down firmly” to make sure batter covers the pan? My batter pours in and I can easily use a rubber scraper to spread it across the pan…

• Unofficial CCK Helper says

Have you looked through Katie’s Recipe FAQ page at the top of her blog? It contains some troubleshooting tips. Also, how do the brownies turn out?

15. Jenn says

As an update, I made these today without Choc chips or the frosting and they are really yummy! I ate 2 right away haha. Also I halved the recipe, baked in an 8 x 8 pan and they still came out well.

16. Judy says

Oh My Gosh!! These are the best thing ever. If you have a scale please weigh your ingredients. It made the biggest difference in the outcome of my brownies. The first time they were dry and crumbly, but still good. The 2nd time, they texture was totally different. I’m so glad I took the time to weigh my ingredients.

I prefer making them in an 11x 7 pan, for a thicker brownie. I also only baked them for 12 minutes. I know all ovens vary (electric vs gas -conventional/convection). My oven is accurate (supposedly- when tested). With no eggs in the recipe, you don’t have to run the risk of getting sick from raw eggs. I really like a fudgy brownie, anyway. I will try 11 minutes the next time I make these.

17. Chelsie says

Just made these for mothers day and WOW they are awesome! I ended up using a smaller 9×9 pan and baked them about 9 minutes longer also put the chocolate frosting on them now I have to try to not eat the whole pan!