Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Healthy Vegan Oreos

These healthy and vegan Oreos give you the same deliciousness of the original, without all the high fructose corn syrup or trans fat!

pin-it

America’s favorite cookie gets a healthy makeover –

Unlike Oreos, the cookies above can be whole-grain, with no soy, corn syrup, or artificial flavors.

They are also much lower in sugar than packaged Oreos, and they just so happen to be vegan as well!

And just in case you were wondering…

pin-it

Yes, they really do taste like Oreos.

Maybe better. Homemade always tastes better.

Healthy Cookies Recipes – Over 100 Recipes

healthy oreo cookies

pin-it

Do you know any Oreo lovers?

Oreos are known as America’s favorite cookie, with over 70 million Oreos sold each day!

Who is eating all those Oreos???

THE BEST EASY VEGAN OREOS

pin-it

Healthy Vegan Oreos

Also Try These Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

Healthy Vegan Oreos

Total Time: 10m
Yield: 20-24 sandwich cookies
Print This Recipe 4.88/5
Healthy Vegan Oreos
4.88/524

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup spelt, white, or oat flour
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp dutch cocoa powder - regular cocoa is fine; they just won’t taste as authentic
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp unrefined or regular sugar, or xylitol for sugar-free
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup vegetable or coconut oil
  • 3 tbsp milk of choice
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, honey, or agave

Instructions

*For the Oreo filling, beat together 1/2 cup powdered sugar or sugar free powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup melted coconut butter OR non-hydrogenated shortening (such as Spectrum) or Earth Balance spread, either with beaters or a food processor, or patiently by hand, until completely smooth.

For the Oreos, combine first 5 cookie ingredients, and stir very well. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients for the cookies. Mix wet into dry to form a dough, then refrigerate 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 300 F. Put dough in a plastic bag, and smush into one big ball. Remove from bag, roll into a thin dough, and cut flat circles using a circle cutter or a circle-shaped lid. Bake on a greased cookie tray for 10 minutes; they’ll still look a little underdone when they come out of the oven, but that’s okay. It’s important to allow them to cool 10 minutes before removing from the tray, as they firm up during this time. Put about a teaspoon on half of the cookie discs, then top each with remaining cookie discs and refrigerate to set. Store in the fridge so the filling stays hard.

View Oreos Nutrition Facts

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

335 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Nessa says

Katie!!!

I just made these. I cut the cookies into little heart shapes- they turned out SO cuute! <3 One mistake I did was use that 'Stevia in the Raw' stuff for the incing sugar in the filling….blech!! 😛 I ended up adding some melted xylitol-sweetened chocolate to the filling, and the bitterness went away- all was good again (chocolate to the rescue!!!). The taste of the cookie was okay as I used the plain cocoa, but the Dutch processed cocoa would definitely have been a better choice! Will make these again, definitely! 😀

2. Trish says

Finally made these last night and they are fantastic! I have always had great success with your recipes although I have not ever posted before. I like that you list ingredient options so I can fit things to my dietary needs. You are fantastic!

One thing, I use avocado in place of butter/oil in many baking recipes. It is such an amazing versatile healthier alternative, I am surprised you have not tried playing with it in your recipes.

3. Natalie says

I recently came across your blog, and as a (health consious) chocolate lover, I was anxious to try some of your recipes. I made these cookies (minus the icing) and then ground them up into crumbs make a pie crust (with the addition of a little butter ;), into which I poured your Chocolate Bar Pie. Oh yes, I did. I added some espresso powder to the pie, so as to eliminate any possibility of having to share with my kids 🙂
    I am a big fan of tofu, but mostly stick to extra firm for a stir fry, or other such vegetarian dinner recipes, and had been hesitant to use tofu in a dessert. I am so glad i did!
    I read that you don’t like pie crust, but this was sooooo good. I am not a fan of traditional pie crust myself, but this…..
    Thank you!

4. Allie says

I love these cookies so much, I have made them twice so far! I made them gluten-free since I am gluten intolerant and they turned out absolutely perfect! Even my brother (who dislikes when I bake things gluten free) loved them. I also used chocolate almond milk, and I think that made them taste a bit more chocolate-y.

I love your blog Katie, keep the recipes coming! 🙂

5. Aneliese (the veggie whisperer) says

Hey Katie, are these soft like the raw oreos you made before or are these crunchy, like real oreos? Thanks!

6. Shaunna says

I would say these taste much more like Newman-Os than Oreos. Newman-Os tend to have a sort of flour-y taste and so did these. (I used spelt flour, xylitol, maple syrup, coconut oil and powdered sugar.)

7. Lyns says

Did anyone else experience clumping when they made the frosting? It was my second time making the recipe and I didn’t have any issues the first time.

8. Annetta says

Since I am not american, then it’s hard for me to find interesting recipes in english that are calculated into grams. And if there is any other type of measuring used, then I just don’t bother enough to look up every ounce and every other measuring size. It’s so good that you put how many grams it is at the end of the ingredient, less google-ing for me and I don’t get bored when reading recipes, I can actually imagine the sizes in my head and everything, this is great, I am going to try so many things. 🙂

9. Rachel says

Hmm… I made these and they didn’t quite turn out… they tasted more like those generic brands that honestly are quite blaghh… is that because I used regular coco powder?

I made them with flour and fiber (maybe 2 tbsp fibre and the rest flour), cocoa, granulated sugar, canola oil, 0% milk and maple syrup. The dough was very oily; I didn’t even need flour when rolling it out to prevent it sticking to the table. I refrigerated the 30 minutes as well (okay maybe a tiny bit less).

I didn’t try the filling..
    Any tips? Greatly appreciate them 🙂

• s says

You can’t be serious with this comment. But if you really want a tip, how about: Try actually following the recipe next time.

• Rachel says

I did actually follow the recipe… she writes “OR” and I did the best with the ingredients I had. The only thing I really did not on the recipe was replace a little bit of the flour with fibre, which is similar to using whole wheat flour –at least the one they sell here– and I have done that soo many times in other recipes and it always works out.

All the other ingredients I put in were according to what the recipe says… (if you don’t know, granulated sugar is the same as white sugar except brown and a little less processed –I never use white sugar–, canola oil is a vegetable oil, 0% milk was my choice of milk (it means skimmed), and I used pure maple syrup brought from Canada by my wonderful dad). I wrote them down in case one of those is unacceptable, it could be made known to me and I could try something else or just give up on the recipe (we don’t all live in first-world countries where all the ingredients can be found in one of the nearest stores at reasonable prices.)

Also, lots of other commenters did not completely follow the recipe or are asking if something could be substituted/omitted, so why attack me?

Heh, and if it’s about the 30 minutes thing, it was just by about 2 minutes perhaps and, once again, I wrote that in case it MUST be exactly 30 minutes… you know that most recipes don’t need to be followed precisely, specially with differences as to quality of ingredients, humidity, stoves, and yes, maybe even refrigerator settings.

Your comment was really offensive to me, if that isn’t obvious already. Maybe rephrase next time? You could get your point across a different way. Though I do appreciate that at least you used sentences and probably didn’t mean to be offensive. Also, I appologize if my post may come across the same way

10. Anonymous says

Just made these for myself for Valentine’s Day! Have to say I was skeptical because the raw dough tasted unpleasant to me, but they came out delicious and wonderful! Definitely close enough to the real thing to squash an Oreo craving. <3

11. Andrea says

Is there any substitute for coconut butter/non-hydrogenated shortening for the filling? I’m pretty sure I can’t get these in our shops, and I don’t have a food processor to make my own coconut butter… I’d love to try these cookies though! Thank you 🙂

12. Paige says

Made these this afternoon after work, one of those recipes you don’t have to tweak to actually make it work! I used almond/coconut milk blend and it gave it a great flavor.

13. Natasha says

I love this recipe! I’ve made it at least three times in the last month. My friend can’t eat gluten, and I wanted to try making a batch for her.

My one experience with GF All Purpose Flour (Bob’s Red Mill) ended in disaster. This recipe just says GF AP — do I need to add Xanthum gum or anything? Or can just use the GF flour and the regular ingredients?

Thanks so much, this is such a fantastic blog!

14. Brittany says

Whenever you use coconut oil in a recipe, are you supposed to measure it out and then melt it? Or not melt it at all? Because the coconut oil I have comes in a big jar and I’m not sure how to measure it out properly because I have to spoon in out in tiny chunks due to the fact that my measuring cup won’t fit in the jar. Any answers or tips would be appreciated!

15. Amber says

I just made these today, and they are tasting great! I had a couple of questions, though. When I made my icing it wasn’t as white as yours; it was more of a cream color. Is that something I can fix or does it just happen sometimes? Also do you know of any way to get the dough to be not as crumbly when trying to roll it out?

• Mini says

the cream color is probably due to the vanilla extract, it just happens. measure a little less than 3/4 cup flour to make the dough less crumbly

16. Jessica says

so…made slutty brownies with this recipe, your cookie dough and black bean brownie recipe.
    Maaaaaan so good!!
    Thanks so much Katie 🙂

17. alysa says

my brother was like “these dont actually seem that healthy”
    and i was like “then go away because you cant have any you big bully”
    oh and they taste perfectly fine with reg. cocoa.

18. Mini says

I made a recipe for golden oreos:
    same everything except increase flour to 1 cup, omit the chocolate, and increase vanilla extract to 1/2 tbsp. If the dough is not dough-like yet, keep adding flour until it is 🙂

19. Punifa says

DANG. I literally /just/ got through cooling these and they really do taste like oreos! I used King Arthur’s multipurpose gf flour and added in 1/2 tsp xanthan gum, used the coconut oil, and for the filling i just used earth balance since i have no shortening (it would be great in some oatmeal cream pies, I bet!). I really wanted to do powdered xylitol instead of sugar, but my food processor is too wimpy to powder anything, so these are already giving me a bit of a sugar buzz! Overall a great recipe <: