Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Vegan Marshmallow Fluff

This healthy vegan marshmallow fluff is going to rock your world…

No corn syrup, no powdered sugar, no raw eggs... You will NEVER believe the 2 ingredients that make this! ... Full recipe: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/04/30/healthy-vegan-marshmallow-fluff/ @choccoveredkt

pin-it

Sweetener of choice

Water from a can of chickpeas

=

Homemade marshmallow fluff ????

Vegan Marshmallow Fluff without corn syrup or egg whites. Full recipe: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/04/30/healthy-vegan-marshmallow-fluff/

pin-it

Crazy, right?!

I can’t take credit for this brilliant “bean liquid egg whites” discovery. The idea was sent to me in a facebook message earlier this year by a reader who discovered you could whip up the liquid from a can of garbanzo beans with sugar to form stiff peaks then pipe the mixture out and bake it into vegan meringues.

Since readers often write to tell me their own recipe ideas or experiments, I didn’t think too much about the message at first, especially since meringue and I have always been more of acquaintances than friends. However, a few months later when I noticed some of my friends posting stunningly beautiful chickpea vegan meringues on instagram, suddenly I was intrigued.

Healthy Vegan Marshmallow Fluff

Then another reader left a comment on the blog asking if I’d tried bean meringue yet and mentioning that chickpea liquid–commonly referred to as aquafaba–has been used as an egg replacer since as early as in a 1968 cookbook (Ten Talents, by Rosalie and Frank J Hurd). Wait… so it can be an egg replacer in other things besides meringue?!?

Like crepes?! Or baked goods??

So many ideas are swirling around in my head right now…

No corn syrup, no powdered sugar, no raw eggs. You will NEVER believe the 2 ingredients! Full recipe: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/04/30/healthy-vegan-marshmallow-fluff/

vegan meringue

pin-it

Christina’s message had mentioned whipping the liquid with fine sugar to form meringue, but I wanted to know if the aquafaba would also work with a liquid sweetener. Only one way to find out! Seven minutes in, my pseudo meringue still looked like water, and I was almost ready to give up and throw the whole thing out.

But—magically at minute 9—it began to thicken… and thicken… and thicken even more!

I had a baking sheet all ready to go for the meringues… The only problem was that I just couldn’t seem to stop dipping my spoon into the airy cream.

It was just like marshmallow fluff!

Ideas for ways to use this healthy marshmallow fluff include:

Homemade s’mores, as frosting for cupcakes or my Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe, in fluffernutter sandwiches… the possibilities go on and on!

You will NEVER believe the 2 ingredients that make this healthy marshmallow fluff... it is insane that this actually works! https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/04/30/healthy-vegan-marshmallow-fluff/

Edit – There’s also now a version for Chocolate Marshmallow Fluff!

pin-it

Vegan Marshmallow Fluff

(makes about 3 cups)

• 1 (15oz) can chickpeas or white beans, with or without salt
  • 1/3 cup honey or agave OR 1/2 cup fine sugar or xylitol (vegans: use the non-honey options)
  • optional pinch cream of tartar, for stabilization
  • feel free to add a little pure vanilla or almond extract

Open the can of beans and drain just the watery part into a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl. (Save the actual beans for a different recipe. If you need inspiration, here are 50+ Healthy Uses For Canned Beans.) You should have about 1/2 cup chickpea liquid. Add all other ingredients, and beat with an electric mixer or in a stand mixer for 12-16 minutes. It will look thin for quite a while—and you’ll probably be cursing me—but don’t give up hope! Mine really began to thicken around minutes 10-11. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers. It separates overnight, but re-beating works perfectly. (I’ve not tried this recipe without beaters, but you are free to experiment. The sugar version can be baked into meringues; I haven’t tried baking the liquid-sweetener version.) I’ve tried this healthy marshmallow fluff with both regular and unsalted bean liquid and can’t taste a big difference, so use whatever you have on hand.

View Nutrition Facts

More Vegan Recipes:

Vegan Brownies

Vegan Cheese Sauce

Vegan Breakfast Recipes  – 50 Vegan Recipes

Vegan Quinoa Recipe

And now I’m going to go work on some homemade Mallomars…

4.79/5 (28)

Published on April 30, 2015

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

321 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Karoline says

Hi Katie!
    How did you calculate the nutrition facts? I mean, as long as you’re using calorie free sweetener, wouldn’t the calorie content be close to none? I guess, what I’m really trying to say is — what is the garbanzo water all about? What does it contain… besides from water?

• Heather says

Hi Ladies,

I actually just came across such a product at a local independent health food store. They are usually the first in town to carry new products. They are still the only place (despite having Whole Foods here), that carries the protein-packed hemp-based greek yogurt by Living Harvest that I discovered there last month: Tempt Yogurt! Check it out if you haven’t!

Anyway, back to the low cal liquid sweetner. It’s Madhava AgaveFIVE and sweetened with agave, stevia, & monk fruit!

2. thunderbuns says

Wow!! This is one of the coolest things I’ve seen on your blog. I can’t wait to try it! I usually cook my chickpeas from scratch, but this look worth buying a can for.

3. Deb Hill says

Dear Katie;
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I recently discovered that I am allergic to eggs, and the only difficult part was not being able to make meringue. Sounds silly, but I have a layered hazelnut meringue torte that I was hoping to re-work to a healthier state soon, and some coconut macaroons I love to make. This really does help me work with recipes so well. I’m off to give it a try! Many hugs for your posting today.
    Deb

4. Dalya says

OMG! This is crazy awesome! I am so excited to make this!
    Katie, would this recipe work as marshmallow fluff in Rice Krispie treats or would it seperate like you said it may in the fridge?
    Thanks!!!

• Nicole says

I tried using this to make rice krispy treats last night and unfortunately it did not work. It turned the cereal soggy and never hardened it all together. As soon as I tried to cut it into bars, it completely crumbled and fell apart. I’m thinking it’s because this fluff isn’t as sticky and thick as normal marshmallow fluff.

• Mab says

Melted marshmallows start out as a solid at room temperature and will revert upon cooling back to their solid state.

Since this fluff is liquid at room temperature to begin with, it will remain that way. Though freezing or partially freezing might work if you don’t mind ice cold rice krispy treats.

• Sheindal says

Head over to the vegan meringue hits and misses group on Facebook, you will find actual marshmallow recipes there which you could use in non-baked treats.

5. Lisa C says

OH MY GOODNESS – I just had to try this…and I mean immediately! My husband reminded me that we had strawberries – nuff said! This is so good and so much fun! Summer frozen lemon meringue pie? Cocoa meringue cookies? Where to start? I’m curious, though, why this works…

• Sheindal says

See http://www.revolutionvegetale.com for the earliest meringue related experiments that I have seen: Joël was experimenting with bean water last year, but there have been similar earlier successes using things like soya lecithin to create foams, though perhaps not to the extent of creating pavlovas and so on! People have also previously made meringue etc with things like flaxseed emulsion, but maybe not as impressive as the bean juice version: forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25665

6. Victoria says

Wow this is incredible! I love the creativity. On another note, can you please make a recipe index!! I want to be able to see all your recipes at once!

7. Melissa says

Probably the reader who wrote to you was inspired by the discussion going on over at this group on Facebook. A few people are credited with its rediscovery, and lots of work has been happening in the last few months to see what works and what doesn’t. You might want to check it out before duplicating a lot of the efforts.

• Tammy says

I havent tried this yet but I definitely will. I just have a comment tho. I was going to check out the fb page listed but after hearing about the ruckus I changed my mind. Since this has been used as an egg replacer since 1968, how can they be sure they are the original developer of this recipe? Its ridiculous, we should all be working together to improve on all the processed crap. I never understood people keeping family recipes secret from even other family members. Just plain dumb. Your not making money off this. Thanks for the post!

8. cate says

This is so awesome!

I like chickpeas in hummus and on salads, but when I use things like chickpea flour, I find the taste overpowering. Is the garbanzo bean flavor present at all in this?

Thanks!

• cate says

Answered my own question. Made it with white beans. It smells slightly beany, but does not taste so. I can’t believe how great it worked. Turned it into meringues, which are in the oven now.

wow!

9. pdw says

Tried this today, and it worked great! I refrigerated my aquafaba, because I know meringue works better if you chill the eggs first (and chill your bowl and beaters too!) I just used regular table sugar, not superfine. Added a bit of vanilla. I see some sites are recommending adding cream of tartar, vinegar, or lemon juice for a stabilizer, or guar gum/xanthan gum for extra thickening, but I didn’t use any of those. With my Kitchenaid on high (with a plastic wrap shield to control spray!) it was looking like meringue within three minutes, and at seven minutes was forming stiff peaks.

Off to look for a lemon pudding recipe…

• pdw says

I’ve made this a few times since it was first posted.

The last time I made it, my fridge was acting up, and had frozen the bean juice that I set aside to make meringue. I decided that the action of the beaters would thaw it quickly enough, rather than risking getting it too warm using the microwave. So I just smashed it up and dumped the frozen bean slush into my mixing bowl.

As soon as I started beating it, I could see white froth forming, and it was thick meringue within a minute or two. The fastest I’ve ever seen it form. So the colder the better, even if you freeze it!

10. Cathy says

I’ve seen recipes that have caused me to think, “OMG I need to make that!”, but this one stood out above all of those, and I made this today! Mine whipped up into white, glossy perfection in just 6 minutes (I left the mixer running for 13 minutes total). I frosted a chickpea blondie with it and then baked the rest into meringues. This is so fascinating and this gives me so many ideas and inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing!

11. Ad says

Katie, please do be the honour of crowning your website one of my FAVOURITES!!!!!!
    Agreed that you get inspiration and tips from umpteen sources- kudos to them! But the truth is that you are an AMAZING vegan pastry chef (how are you NOT on cake boss already??????)

Anyway, i just want to thank you for all the amazing recipes you put so much effort to put out, because they are truly amazing! This particular recipe? Nothing short of a milestone! Hats Off!

Thanks for all of your recipes! Really! Thank You!

12. Jules @ WolfItDown says

… and now we all regret having poured the water of all the beans and legumes in the past….
    This looks stunning, I would never have guessed you could have done that 😀 Thank you so much for the tip! x

13. A.nony. Mous! says

OK, finally tried this, and it worked *great*! I cooked my own chick peas, and drained the liquid–then simmered just the liquid for a little while to thicken (I used no salt). Refrigerated overnight, then put 3/4 c liquid + 2/3 c sugar + a healthy dose of vanilla extract + a sprinkle of xanthan gum and mixed. It thickened within 2-3 minutes. The vanilla does a great job of covering the beany taste. Not sure I’ll get around to baking this, but that’s next on my list.

• sherri says

Hi Katie – I made this version and it worked too…didn’t know if it would minus the ‘real’ sugar…quite yummy –

120 ml (1/2 cup) chickpea brine, drained from a can of chickpeas
      1/2 tsp xanthum gum
      1/8 tsp cream of tartar
      Powered Stevia – to taste
      2 teaspoons vanilla

Thanks for your inspiration:))

14. Leia R. says

I tried this with honey and it was delicious! I separated off half and added in cocoa powder to the other half. It made a lovely chocolate fluff! I tried baking both and the chocolate one unfortunately melted down. The white one baked okay but it was still unbaked in the middle. I’m still in awe that this works and I’m never throwing out the chickpea water again! Thank you for the recipe!

15. Pottedfern says

*jaw drops* wait, what?? and it doesn’t taste bean-y and weird? (I’ve made your chickpea cookie dough twice in the same week and it was delicious, yet this still sounds crazy)
    Wait you can use salted?? (that’s the kind I have) And it won’t taste salty?? How :O

16. lisa @bitesforbabies says

I’m a huge fan of making healthy substitutions in baked goods and desserts. I can’t believe how dense and luscious this looks…no need for the overprocessed stuff, which we all know is full of preservatives and additives!!

17. Sarah says

This is amazing I can’t wait to try this! I jut bought some chickpeas for it yesterday! And would you be able to come up with a lowfat vanilla chai muffin? Or more flavors of your baked French toast? I’ve been eating your pumpkin baked French toast A LOT lately!

18. Jaime says

1. THIS IS AMAZING! I can kind of taste the bean flavor but I can pretend it’s fluff flavor and it’s great. I don’t eat anything with corn syrup and that is all marshmallow is. I made this just because I could.

2. Do you think it would last okay without being refrigerated? Or should it really be kept cool because of the bean liquid?

3. When you say rebeat, do you mean with the mixer, or will a spoon/fork work okay the next day?

• Unofficial CCK Helper says

Should be fridged. You can rebeat with either, but it will be much fluffier and sturdier with the beaters.

19. Larice @ Feeding Your Beauty says

That’s it! I’ve got to try this. I’ve been seeing this “canned bean liquid meringue” idea circulating the blogosphere and I’m so intrigued! I love that you kept it as a fluff, I can see so many fun uses for it! And the egg replacer idea for crepes, baked goods… Lovin’ that! Thanks for posting Katie! Now I know it’s legit 😉

20. MG says

Awww, when it said “healthy” I thought it meant it would replace the sugar, not take away the protein-rich egg whites—they’re the only nutritional thing in meringue! Not very vegan, sure, but I don’t think you can legitimately call this item “healthy.” Still, it’s weird enough that I’ll try it—but with xylitol. 🙂

21. Jenn says

I tried cooking the recipe made with liquid agave. I baked small mounds of it at 350º for 10 mins. It came out flat like it had melted, with a little puff here and there but not like I expected. However the parts that got hard and crispy became chewy when eaten and tasted like a very familiar candy but I can’t place it… Sugar Daddy maybe? My kids went nuts over it. I think some kind of candy recipe could be made out of this.