Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Gooey, sticky, sweet, delicious frosted pumpkin cinnamon rolls – They are perfect for Fall!

pin-it

Want one??? Or maybe an entire pan???!

Normally, homemade cinnamon rolls are so good on their own that there’s not really much you can do to make them even better… But stuffing the pastries with pumpkin and even more cinnamon somehow manages to do just that! Imagine a cinnamon roll filled with pumpkin pie.

Add a sticky, sugary glaze and you’re taking the cinnamon rolls to uncharted territory in deliciousness.

chocolate Covered Katie

I made this particular batch of vegan pumpkin cinnamon rolls on Saturday when my friend Sara came to visit from Minnesota. (You’ll be hearing much more about Sara in the near future.)

Have you ever met someone for the first time and felt like you’ve known that person your entire life?

This is exactly how I felt when I met Sara two weeks ago…

Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls - Ingredients: 1 cup pumpkin, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 2 tbsp baking powder, 1/4 cup... Full recipe: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/10/22/pumpkin-cinnamon-rolls/ @choccoveredkt

We bonded over a shared love of photography, music, Saved by the Bell, and Freddie Prinze Jr. (Did you know he’s almost 40?!), talking non-stop the entire day about everything from awkward middle school dating experiences to our goals and dreams for the future.

We also spent quite a bit of time with the pumpkin cinnamon rolls.

Can you blame us?

pin-it

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Yield: Makes 13
Print This Recipe 5/5
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
5/513

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp yeast
  • 1 cup milk of choice
  • 2 tbsp sweetener of choice (not xylitol or stevia)
  • 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, spelt flour, or all-purpose flour, or a combination
  • 2 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup sugar of choice
  • 1/8 tsp pure stevia extract, or 4 more tbsp granulated sugar of choice
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 4 tbsp melted coconut oil or full-fat (but trans-fat-free) butter-type spread
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 5 tbsp whole-wheat pastry or all-purpose flour
  • 3 tbsp sugar of choice (I like Sucanat here)
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • optional, 1/2 cup raisins
  • scant 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • dash salt

Instructions

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls recipe: Warm the milk in a small measuring bowl. You want it warm, but not boiling: if you have a candy thermometer, it should read 110 degrees F. Stir in the 2 tbsp sweetener, sprinkle the yeast on top, and set aside for 5 minutes. During this time, it should bubble up. (If it does not bubble up, either your yeast is no good or your milk was too hot or cold.)

In a large measuring bowl, combine the 2 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, 1/4 cup sugar of choice, stevia, salt, the 2 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice. Stir very well.

Stir the melted oil and vanilla extract into the milk mixture, then pour this into the large measuring bowl of dry ingredients and stir to form a dough. Especially if using spelt flour, you may need to add a little extra flour until it’s dry enough to form a dough. Form dough into a ball, then place in a lightly-greased large bowl. Cover loosely with a towel, and set in a warm place to rise 20 minutes or until doubled in size. (If your oven has a “bread proof” setting, this is the perfect place to let your pumpkin cinnamon rolls rise.)

Meanwhile, stir together all remaining pumpkin cinnamon roll ingredients (except the 5 tbsp flour) in a medium measuring bowl. Set aside. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking pan. Set aside.

After the dough has risen, punch dough to deflate. Knead dough with your hands, adding the 5 tbsp flour as you knead so that the dough is not sticking to your hands. Knead 5 minutes. On a lightly-floured surface, roll out the dough into a very thin rectangle. Spread the contents of the medium mixing bowl evenly on top. Carefully roll up the dough, lengthwise, lifting and rolling the dough.

Using a large, sharp knife, slice dough into 13 even rolls, wiping the knife after each cut. The filling may ooze out a bit, but this is okay. Place the rolls in the prepared baking pan, and return to the warm place for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. When it reaches this temperature, place cinnamon rolls in the oven and bake 20 minutes. Glaze with the recipe below:

For the Glaze:

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar or Sugar-Free Powdered Sugar
3 1/2 to 4 tsp milk of choice (or more or less to achieve desired glaze thickness)
Whisk ingredients together to form a glaze. Using a spoon, drizzle evenly over pumpkin cinnamon rolls.

View Nutrition Facts

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

187 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Sarah Lolya says

I AM SO HAPPY!!!! I love cinnamon rolls SO much but could never find a good vegan recipe. Seeing this almost caused tears, Thank you SOOO much!

2. Lauren @ Bite into Happiness says

I love the idea of using the pumpkin as the filling! Most pumpkin cinnamon rolls I’ve seen use the pumpkin in the dough (which is also delicious). I just made a batch of regular cinnamon rolls this weekend, but I can’t wait to try these.

3. Jenni says

Those look really yummy and this might be kinda awkward to point out but your hair is touching in the cinnamon rolls :/

4. mochi says

It is good to learn how to make the sugar-free powdered sugar, but if I can’t find xylitol or Sucanat, can I use Pure Stevia powder, but how much is the quantity of pure stevia?
    Thanks for your help! 🙂

5. Robin says

Ah, so that´s what “Kanel bullar” (Swedish) are called In English, “cinnamon roll”. I haven´t heard those words that often I have to say. And nope, I haven’t tried pumpkin cinnamon rolls before =)

6. Makayla says

It’s funny you should ask that question because after following your blog for just a few short months, I feel like I know YOU! You’re a sweet, kind, and generous human being and I would feel lucky to have you as a friend! 🙂

(By the way, you look GREAT with those extra 10 pounds!)

7. Anna says

Hi Katie
    Just a little question; when you use apple sauce in your recipes, will it suffice to grate an apple? Or do I need to make apple sauce? I’m writing from overseas, and apple sauce isn’t as common to get canned here.
    Btw. thank you for an inspiring blog (even though you don’t use the metric system, which would make it a lot easier for me 😉 )
    – Anna

8. Annmarie says

Attempting a gluten free version of these right now! Fingers cross that it works! I’ve got the dough rising at the moment. Hoping it turns out well!

• Amanda says

Hi Annmarie – I’d be curious to know which type of flour you used (all-purpose gluten free or a mix of your own blends?). Let us know how it turns out! Thanks!

• Annmarie says

Just cooled them down and put the icing on them! snuck a small one and they came out great! A little cakier than the pastry try that I remember, but I expected that. Still very yummy.
        I used bob’s red mill all purpose flour mix. I just subbed the wheat flour out for that and that’s all! I also used unsweetened original almond milk.
        They did take about twice as long to rise though and the dough was a lot stickier than I think it should have been (even after adding in a bunch of flour while kneading and then while rolling as well). So they were a little mushy and difficult to cut, and not nearly as pretty as those pictured. But the taste I think was spot on!

9. Katherine says

Cannot wait to try out this recipe! It looks fabulous! I was wondering though how you get nutrition labels for your recipes?

10. Nina says

I don’t know why I haven’t run into your website before Katie..But I just ran into it yesterday while looking up healthy sugar cookies, and I’ve been checking out all your recipes since yesterday and I have to say I’m blown away by how fantastically healthy and easy and totally delicious your recipes look!! Fantastic photography and I gotta say “my new go to site!” Your site is more about the food and the recipes which is refreshing. You’re doing a great job! Keep up the good work!!

11. Jessica says

I love your site! I just wanted to know if you think this recipe would work with apple sauce instead of coconut oil in a pinch

12. Nina Gibson says

Hello Katie,
    Just tried making these rolls and had a couple of problems …. I had to add loads more flour to the dough to make it dry enough to work with, like two cups more, it felt like, and then it barely rose, either in the bowl or rolled up on the tray. The yeast was fine – bubbled up a lot as it should, and I did everything else as per your instructions, so I’m a bit perplexed as to what went wrong. I’m in the UK and we don’t use cups as a measurement, but I do have a couple of sets as I use a lot of American recipes .. I’m just wondering if they’re the same as your cups! In one set a cup = 250ml and in the other a cup = 237ml. I cooked the rolls anyway and they came out ok …. a lot smaller, and they didn’t have a nice chewy bread texture, more like a dense cake or scone – but still tasty.

• Allison says

If you had to add 2 cups of extra flour you definitely did something wrong. I made these yesterday and followed the recipe exactly and only ended up needing 4 tablespoons more and they came out perfect. Not sure what you could have done but adding 2 cups of extra flour would not be ok for the amount of liquid in the recipe.

• Nina Gibson says

Ok, so are the cup measurements I’m using right? I used half wholegrain spelt flour, some wholemeal brown and some plain white. I wonder if the flour was the problem as I definitely put in the amounts stated.

13. Katie Swan says

I made these last night. I did everything except the baking part and simply covered them and put them in the refrigerator over night. In the morning I placed them in a cold oven w/ a baking pan filled w/ boiling water on the rack below for 30 minutes. They rose beautifully! I took them out, pre-heated the oven to 325F and put them in for 20 minutes. My husband and I LOVED them! They made the whole house smell like fall! Just a suggestion if you want warm pumpkin cinnamon rolls in the morning!

14. Laura says

I made these tonight 🙂 I have most of them in the fridge to bake in the morning. I baked the “ugly” ends tonight so I could try them. They are really yummy! I had a problem getting them to rise as well. I used regular yeast. Should I have used rapid rise? The yeast/milk mixture did bubble up. Either way, they taste great and my kids are going to be thrilled in the morning.