Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Make. These. Now.

They’re raw.
They’re sinful sinless.
They’re delicious and totally addictive. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

RAW CHOCOLATE FUDGE BALLS  One of the most popular recipes from @choccoveredkt, with over 9,000 repins and 3,000 facebook likes! These are the original chocolate fudge balls - no added sugar, no baking required, and they taste like pure chocolate bliss! Full recipe here:

I love recreating dessert recipes.

But that’s no secret if you’ve read my page: About Chocolate-Covered Katie

A few weeks ago, after discovering they’re discontinuing one of my favorite energy bars (Clif Nectar) , I set out to try and recreate said chocolate bars.  With only five ingredients, it couldn’t be too difficult, could it? Well, as it turned out, the results didn’t taste like the packaged bars… mine tasted better!

Don’t let the diminutive size fool you; these babies are jam-packed with fudgey deliciousness.  More chocolatey than Clif Nectar bars, more chocolatey than Larabar Jocalats… it’s like popping balls of pure chocolate bliss straight into your mouth.  They’re so rich and decadent that even a tiny taste is enough to satisfy a skyscraper-sized chocolate craving.

But fudge babies are so healthy you don’t have to stop after a tiny taste. It’s hard to believe something so good for you—with zero added sugars and unnatural ingredients—can taste so sinful. (They also happen to be quite a bit less expensive than Jocalats, Nectars, and many other such chocolate bars.)

Chocolate Fudge Babies

Original Fudge Babies

(paleo fudge balls)

• 1 cup walnuts (120 g)
  • 1 and 1/3 cups pitted dates (220 g) (I often use SunMaid dates, which are super-soft.)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3-4 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
  • optional: 1/8 plus 1/16 tsp salt (I always add this)
  • optional: raw chocolate chips – recipe in the Chocolate-Covered Katie Cookbook

Blend all the ingredients, using a food processor, Magic Bullet, etc.  (No need to blend the dates first; I just blend everything all at once in a Cuisinart food processor, which works much better than a blender.) Roll into cutey-pie little balls.  (Use plastic wrap if you wish, or smush it all together in a plastic bag so it’ll stay together better.) Or, if you want true brownies, shape the dough into bars!

For a chocolate pie crust: press the dough down firmly into a pie pan.

Hot Cocoa Fudge Babies

I’ve been toying around with the original recipe.  Here is my newest-favorite variation: 30 grams cashews, 80 grams dates, 5 grams (1 tbsp) dark cocoa powder. Blend. (Add pure peppermint extract + cacao nibs if desired. Or leave out the cocoa powder, for a homemade cashew cookie Larabar!)
Let’s talk variations!

cookie bites

For a list of Fudge Baby Flavors, click the following: Homemade Larabars Recipes

Flavors include chocolate chip cookie dough, peanut butter, and even s’mores! Shown above are samoas girl scout cookie fudge babies.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Vegyogini says:

I’d add fresh-grated ginger or finely-chopped crystallized ginger to these delicious babies!

2. mmmMmmmMmm they look so good! It’s a shame that walnuts cost so much where I am 🙁

3. Marina says:

Damn it, I knew I forgot something 😀 I made those today, but with cashews and almonds, and a few cranberries. I forgot vanilla 🙂 And I made too little of it 🙁 But it’s delic

4. YUM! You are so clever. I just made these (using almonds though because I don’t have walnuts) and I didn’t even get to sit down with one because I kept sampling them as I rolled the balls. Delicious. And lucky for me my husband thinks nuts shouldn’t be mixed with chocolate so they’ll be all mine!!! 🙂

5. Ok, I am not even a chocolate girl (seriously)–and I want these. Now.

6. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) says:

Yes great minds do think alike!!!!!!!!!
    We have both created and posted a really similar recipe….within 12 hours of each other 🙂

My donut holes are just flax, maple, cocoa, vanilla.

But I also make my “raw vegan brownies” which I have tagged, but I make them in a sheet rather than bars…anyway, those are dates, walnuts, cocoa, agave. Very similar to these of yours, just how I shape them is a sheet not a ball. Cuz sometimes I am too impatient to roll into balls and just use bars instead 🙂

Great recipe from one chocolate un-baker to another!

7. Kelly says:

Oh my gosh, Katie, you’re killing me! These look AMAZING. I want to try the Extreme Chocoholic Version!

8. Jenny R. says:

you’re so creative!!! it’s so smart that you made these b/c you save so much $$ on bars by doing that…like you said. I’m gonna try them with carob and see how it goes. mmm cravings now…

9. Kiersten says:

I bet those are amazing! They’re similar to the homemade chocolate Larabars I posted about today, but in ball-form. Adding ground coffee to them is a great idea, I know I would LOVE that.

10. Sounds divine! Under things to do with fudge babies, I especially like #1. I think that basically describes my life-food philosophy. 🙂

11. Marina says:

ups, I just noticed a slip on my previous comment. Sorry about that

12. tabitha says:

gold star for katie today!
    easy and pretty healthy really
    recipe is printed and i will get this job done
    thanks missy!

13. Shelby says:

Have I told you how much I love you? Because this pretty much confirms that you are the best friend EVER! HOLY YUM!

14. Jenny says:

WHY DO I NOT HAVE DATES IN MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW?! bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I’m seriously considering heading to the grocery store just for the sake of making these. You’re killing me, smalls!

15. DJ says:

These look amazing! I made raw fudge along similar lines recently and it was too good!

16. Vanilla says:

I can’t wait to try these.

Do you think I can use almonds or cashews? I’m not a fan of walnuts…

1. Eddie says:

OMG these are delicious and my 6 year old loves them. I just made these twice this week. Once with walnut and once with almonds. I prefer the almonds. I mixed everything in my vitamix and then rolled into balls.

2. Joe Gannon says:

Katie! Thank you so much for this recipe! These are so good! I’m glad I took the risk and made them. I bought a Cuisinart just for this. When my girlfriend asked me what I was doing in the kitchen I replied, “I’m just makin’ Babies!”
      Though walnut is my favorite furniture making wood I much prefer almonds with my chocolate. Here in southern California it seems we have 2 types of dates: Medjool and Deglet Noor. I recently came upon a very good price on the DN dates at our local warehouse grocery which put them at half the price of the Medjool. However the DNs are too dry to use by themselves. My solution is to use half Medjool and half DN. If the Medjools are especially sticky I can use a smaller ratio of Medjool. All other amounts in the recipe remain the same. Other tips: you will need to run the processor for a bit- until the mix starts to ball up. Also, roll between your palms while the mix is still warm.
      These are so awesome!

17. Jenna N says:

Hey Katie,
    I’ve never commented before but I’ve been lurking your site for awhile now and decided to finally comment when I saw these amazing looking chocolate recipe 😀 When I get all these ingrediants i will defintelytry this! Would another nut besides walnuts work you think?

18. Bekah says:

These look so good! I love how cocoa makes everything more chocolatlely and delicious with almost zero added fat/calories. YUM! I will def have to try this recipe. Way to go again Miss Katie. 🙂

19. anonymous says:

so cute and clever! 🙂

20. Katharina says:

OMG! You are seriously.. I love you! Not just because of the awesome food you make lol but also the way you write and just.. these ideas that come out of you! Like the ideas of what to do with them. BASKETBALL NET! ohhh yeah. I think I will do the eating contest.. my friends had one with mashed potatoes not too long ago. But I think they will love this!