Raw Macaroons

Raw Macaroons

Completely raw macaroons that are entirely vegan and contain no added sugars…

macar

(Form them into balls, bars, or cookie-cutter shapes, like the Peanut Butter Babies.)

Macaroon Babies

• 160 grams dates (1 and 1/3 c) (I use Sunmaid because they’re softer)
  • 1/4 cup coconut butter
  • 1/4 cup tbsp shredded coconut (I used unsweetened)

Note: A few readers/bloggers have successfully subbed coconut oil for the coconut butter, but I haven’t tried. Blend first two ingredients, using your blending gadget-of-choice (I use the Magic Bullet short cup). Mix in your coconut. Alternatively, you can roll the balls in coconut after forming them (as in the first photo of this post). Form in shapes of your choice. You can use the plastic bag trick. If you find the mixture too crumbly, put the bag in the fridge for a while before forming shapes. Due to the melty nature of coconut butter, store the Macaroon Babies in the fridge or freezer (that is if ya don’t eat them all first!).

maca2

On tomorrow’s agenda: Raw, vegan Mounds Bars

#1 reason to make Macaroon Babies: It gives you an excuse to say, in your best Austin Powers voice:
“Macaroony Babies, yeah!”

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. I can’t wait to try these!!!! I flippin’ love coconut!

2. Sünne says:

OMG … Coconut Macaroons?! More than droolworthy, seriously!
    Well … I can’t get coconut butter .. aah, that sucks! (Germany sucks at the availability of many vegan things 🙁 )

1. Linda says:

Sünne you can make your own coconut butter. Simply blitz some unsweetened shredded (desiccated) coconut together in a food processor until it comes together. It can take anything up to 12-15 minutes. Failing that, the recipe will also work with the solid blocks of creamed coconut.

1. Sünne says:

Ah, yes, I’ve seen several bloggers make their own coconut butter that way. Unfortunately, though, I don’t own a food processor. Also, I’m not sure how strong a food processor would have to be for this task (I’m from Europe and therefore can’t get the brands of food processors US bloggers have).

1. Linda says:

I totally understand the issue with food processors in Europe – I was born and lived there for 29 years. However, you should be able to find creamed coconut in blocks in Germany. Check out http://www.alles-vegetarisch.de/Sahne—Ei-Ersatz-Biona-COCONUT-CREAMED-Block–200g-,art-2281. This recipe will work with this ingredient instead of coconut butter – simply warm it up a little to make it a little softer. Hope this helps.

3. Those look DELICIOUS!!

4. Abby says:

These look delicious, just like their fudge baby siblings. YUM. Ill post a link on my blog tonight about your Operation Chocolate Covered Kindness!

5. Eliza says:

macaroony babies! ha love it! you have the best ideas, i have all the ingredients so i must make these raw macaroons soon, artisana coconut butter = love 🙂

xx
    Eliza

6. brandi says:

raw MOUNDS bars?!? I’m excited for them 🙂

7. mihl says:

Yum, these sound easy and delicious!

8. Jessica says:

You know I’m on board to make these! I already have coconut butter, but I need more dates (making all those fudge babies has drained my supply!) Can’t wait for tomorrow’s post! 🙂

9. Damjana says:

what would cck be without chocolate-covered macaroons;). Hope you have enough people to eat all your wonderful creations!

10. tabitha says:

what is the difference b/w coconut butter and coconut oil?
    i have oil but have not seen butter…

11. Marina says:

mhm, I can imagine how good they are. yummy!

12. Jenny says:

not gonna lie — I have been crazing samoas like no other now that girl scout cookie season is upon us — but your little macaroon babies are a more than worthy replacement 🙂 come up with a recipe to cure my thin mint woes, please?! 😉

13. I love all these raw goodies you’ve been makin’ lately…and I’m so mad cause yesterday was raw day, and I meant to make your fudgey babies for my next raw day. And totally forgot!!! I ended up getting my sweet fix with a Ginger snap Larabar…not as good as your babies, I’m sure.

Question: I’ve seen recipes lately that call for coconut butter, which I see you have. I’ve never seen any around here, but it looks just like solidified coconut oil. Is that the same thing?

14. Vegyogini says:

OH…MY…GOODNESS!

15. Melinda says:

Nice…so when are you going to start making these (and other fudge baby varieties) in mass quantity and selling them?!?!?!?!

16. Macaroony Babies, yeah! 🙂

I will definitely mention Operation Chocolate-Covered Kindness on my new blog soon (whenever I get off my lazy butt and start it!)

17. There’s no way those aren’t amazing! The CCP Lara definitely is one of the best, so way to go by making it homestyle. Still have yet to pick up some coconut butter but I’m just DYING to try it.

18. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) says:

Looking AMAZING Katie, way to go!!!!!!!! Basically once you have your date (and/or nuts) blend…you can just start adding ANYthing and the possibilities are endless and that’s what i love about raw cooking too…you can just go and create and do awesome stuff. No other appliances needed 🙂

Love this post for also consolidating all the backlinks on one page. Organizing the fudge baby family tree.

Raw Mounds bar action, can’t wait to see your creations!

19. Katie says:

I am drooling. I can’t wait to see the recipe for the Mounds bars!