Vanilla Fudge Frosting

My brain is fried like Fakin’ Bacon!

In fact, it’s so fried I accidentally just wrote brian instead of brain. After plowing through a three-page essay, I needed a break. Enter afternoon snack:

Baked sweet potato with coconut Banana Butter.

Yes, coconut banana butter. It’s something I’d been meaning to try for ages. And now I’m wishing I’d tried it a whole lot sooner, because this stuff kicks butt…ernut squash.

homemade coconut butter

Vanilla Fudge Frosting

(or Coconut Banana Butter)

• 1/2 a very-ripe large banana (80g to 100g)
  • 1/4 cup melted coconut butter or homemade coconut butter
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon (omit for a whiter frosting)
  • 1/16th tsp salt
  • optional: a few drops pure vanilla extract
  • The ripe banana gives it sweetness, but you can add a little stevia or powdered sugar or maple syrup if you want it sweeter. Or use a non-ripe banana and extra sweetener if you don’t want any banana flavor in the frosting.

To make the frosting, just blend all ingredients together. (It’s even better if you microwave the banana for like 10-15 seconds before adding other ingredients.) Be sure not to use a cold or frozen banana unless you completely thaw it first, because it will solidify the coconut butter and make it taste grainy.

Edit: for those of you who asked for the nutritional info: Serving Size: 1 tablespoon, Calories: 40, Fat grams: 4, Deliciousness: 1 bazillion!

artisana coconut butter sweet potato

Update:  Use this recipe to make Sugar Free Chocolate Fudge!

A few lucky spoonfuls jumped into a roasted-sweet-potato blanket. (I bet even Linus would give up his blankie for one of those!) I’ve found a new nut butter obsession. As if I needed another one….

Have you tried coconut butter yet?

Also, does anyone have tips to re-charge a fried brain (or a fried brian, as the case may be)?

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. I love this… Ima banana LOVER!!!! (Seriously, I eat a LOT of bananas.) My fave way to eat sweet potatoes is homemade “Sweet Potato Chips”. SO good!

I like coconut butter but I love coconut oil! I have found so many uses for that stuff!!!

2. Mary says:

Hi Katie,
    I absolutely ADORE your blog. But I have a request:
    I know you don’t count calories, but if you do happen to know the calories for a certain recipe, could you list it, maybe even in very small print at the bottom?
    I have been trying hard to lose weight, because I am considered obese and desperately need it for my health. I’ve just embarked on this healthy eating thing, and your recipes have been so helpful in making me not feel deprived while still eating healthy. I can’t tell you how much I love the fudge babies! But since I’m still new at this, I don’t know all the calorie counts for specific food items, so it’s hard for me to add things up sometimes. It would be SUCH a huge help if you listed the counts when you know them. I completely understand if you don’t want to. It is your blog, after all! But it would be such a help to those of us who are counting calories.
    Anyway, I also wanted to stop by and thank you for all your hard work with this blog. You have a great thing going here, and I am so grateful every day that I found you. This is my first comment, but I’ll be back every day. Consider me a new convert to the “Chocolate Covered Diet Philosophy” of yours :).

1. Melissa says:

I always head to sparkpeople and use their recipe calculator. You can search foods in their database and it’s very easy. I know Katie isn’t keen on calorie counting BUT if you want, feel free to email me (leonakitty@wildmail . com – remove the spaces) and I can calculate for you. I commiserate with you and would love to help.

If you haven’t joined sparkpeople.com, I HIGHLY suggest it! I lost 60 lbs and have kept it off a year by tracking food/exercise. I’m LEONALIONESS on spark if you join and want a buddy. It’s free and awesome!

1. Mary says:

Thank you both SO MUCH! It’s really nice to have support. Thanks Melissa, your encouragement means so much to me :).

2. Aw Mary, Melissa is right that I’ve always been anti-calorie-counting for myself… but you really made a good point in your comment. I’ll try to post the counts more often, because I do know that you’re not the only calorie-counter who reads my blog. And if I don’t post the #s for a particular recipe, you can always leave a comment and ask me to calculate it for ya :).

3. Anonymous says:

scroll down on every recipe she posts a Nutritional Info in blue….

3. “this stuff kicks butt…ernut squash”—> made my morning

Considering I bought coconut butter months ago and have yet to open it…perhaps this is my excuse?

1. Leslie says:

Hahahaha me too! Or maybe the “my brain is fried” part.
      Now I’m going to steal the phrase “This kicks butternut squash!” :) :)

2. Yes! Do it!! You won’t be sorry! Well, except for your wallet, but he’ll get over it ;).

4. WAAAH I really REALLY wish coconut butter was available in England!! But on the upside, I CAN make your original banana butter! 😀

Quite frankly Katie, you are a genius. I have said it many times before, but I’ll keep saying it!!

1. Oh, and SLEEP is the best way to recharge a brain! Followed by chocolate of course, but I’m sure you already know that! 😉

2. And YOU are a sweetheart. I’ve prolly said that before too. But it’s true!!

5. I love the simple sweet potato + ketchup combo :-)

6. GENIUS. that is all. hahaha 😉

7. ps I got my Vitaaaa, excited! any cool recipes that I MUST try with it asap?

1. Ooooh congrats! hehe
      Any of the Faux-Yo flavors: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/01/12/and-so-begins-vitamix-week/
      (pb-banana is one of my favorites… but I pretty much love all vita-mix ice creams)

8. Leslie says:

Katie, YOU kick butternut squash! Just sayin ;).

9. Camille says:

This looks amazing and it has given me the best lunch idea ever. Thanks darlin :)
    P.S. How did you like The Hangover?

1. Oh I feel like the worst friend ever :(. I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet. I’ll do it this weekend! Putting it on the calendar so I don’t forget lol!

1. Camille says:

Nooo! Don’t be silly! Watch it when you have time :)

10. Melissa says:

Okay, this awesome!
    1) less calorific way to eat coconut butter, 2) will spread my coconut butter supply farther and save me money! 3) COCONUT + BANANA? Love.

Genius, lady.

1. Ooh I forgot to write: try melting the banana a little, pre-blending :).

11. Stephanie says:

Mmmk. You just found a way to involve three of my favorite things on EARTH. Bananas. check. Sweet potatoes. Check. Coconut. Check!!!!!!

12. Albizia says:

I am probably the only one here who has never eaten a sweet potato. And fortunately it’s not on my list of things I am dying to try because sweet potatoes are very hard to find where I live and cost more than I’d pay.

My poor brain is not fried. It’s dead. I’m writing my Master’s degree thesis (about 90 pages so far) while trying to arrange my future after graduation. I’m like a ball of nerves and I definitely need big amounts of fruit and nut butters to keep me going. My best way to recharge is fresh air. A nice long walk out in the cold works wonders.

1. Eww eww eww 90 pages?!?! So FAR?! As in, you have to write MORE?? Yikes, I shouldn’t complain about my essays!

13. Fi says:

Oh katie, just when i think youve cracked it with banana butter, you now have banana cocnut butter, holy yum, genius! im a simple kinda gal, i like my sweet taters roasted with butter-that is all :)

14. Disturbed says:

This looks amazing! I love sweet potatoes, love them. I usually eat them just mashed up with a little bit (like a tbsp) of almond or peanut butter.
    It is a-mazing!

15. Giiiirl you need to create a cookbook! Seriously now… everyone would buy it! And I have yet to try coconut butter yet. It’s on the list though!

My favorite way to eat a sweet potato is roasted with cinnamon. Mmmmm.

16. Kathleen says:

DELICIOUS!!!! :)

Bake — Baking always helps me.

17. oh nom. you know, i don’t really care for bnut squash. give me kabocha or sweet potato every and any day! i still like almond butter better than coconut butter (heresy! ;p)

18. Loove sweet potatoes sprinkled with cinnamon!!!!!
    Will have to try this out very, very soon, though!

19. I’ve never tried coconut butter because I am definitely not a coconut fan, but even I think this looks great! I wouldn’t mind slipping into a sweet potato blanket. Too far?

1. I think they should sell sweet potato snuggies :).