Healthy Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies {NO flour!}

So a blonde walks into a bar. Or in this case, the blonde is the bar! I’d tell you these Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies are healthy. But then, if you try them, you will think I am a liar and never believe another word I say. If you taste the chickpea blondies, you won’t believe they’re healthy!

Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies

Smart blondes do exist

Low in calories, rich in omega-3s, and gluten-free… These healthy blondies might just be the smartest blondies in the world. A new addition to the archives of Healthy Cookies – Over 100 Healthy Cookies Recipes

white bean blondies

For the past year, I’ve been seeing “black bean brownie” recipes popping up all over the blogworld. At first, I thought about joining in on the fun. (Edit: I eventually did end up doing a chocolate version. My healthy brownie recipe can be found by clicking on the following post: Black Bean Brownies.)

But I really enjoy putting a different, creative spin on old trends. Hmmm… now how to put a new spin on black bean brownies? The answer was so simple, even a blonde could have thought of it: White Bean Blondies! And they have no eggs and no flour! The resulting chickpea blondies are so moist and fudgey.

Chocolate Chip Chickpea Blondies

Print This Recipe 4.8/5
4.8/55

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 can, drained and rinsed) (250g after draining)
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • level 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar (See note below, for substitutions)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup ground flax or quick oats (20g)
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter or allergy-friendly alternative
  • optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips (Not “optional” if you’re CCK!)
Total Time: 30m
Yield: 8x8 pan

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients (except chips) until very smooth in a good food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and scoop into a greased (or parchment-lined) 8×8 pan. Optional: for “prettiness” you can stick some chocolate chips on top of the batter as well. Bake for around 30 minutes. They’ll look a little undercooked when you take them out, but they firm up as they cool, and you don’t want them to get hard.

View Chickpea Blondies Nutrition Information

*Sugar note: I also made a batch using stevia, which I thought were delicious! But my friends informed me they tasted like bars of soap. Therefore, I’ll keep making the stevia version, but just for myself… a tray of blondies all to oneself is never a bad thing! (Edit: commenters have had success with subbing the sugar with xylitol, evaporated cane juice, or coconut sugar. Please feel free to try any of the ideas people have left in the comment section. However, I can only vouch for the results if you make the recipe as written.)

healthy blondies

Since the they have garbanzo beans, I could’ve called them “hummus blondies.”

But um, ewww? 😉
Time for a serious discussion…

I have a sneaky suspicion that many so-called “dumb blondes” are not really as dumb as they seem. They just act dumb for attention and because they think guys think it’s cute. Sadly, it seems, they’re often right. Many guys are intimidated by smart girls and therefore find ditziness attractive.

Look at Jessica Simpson and Paris Hilton. I’d argue these girls are much smarter than their actions convey. Both have played up the dumb-blonde image in order to make names for themselves, and Jessica Simpson even scored contracts with Pizza Hut and Chicken of the Sea as direct results of dumb-blonde moments. (It’s not just blondes, either. Think of Snooki!)

Did you know any of these girls in high school? I remember the notorious dumb blonde in my high school once remarking, Wait, wood comes from trees? I thought they made wood in factories!” Yet this girl was in accelerated math and English classes, as well as in the top 10% of the class. Something didn’t equate… or did it? After such statements as these, the boys always laughed. This girl was not dumb; she knew airhead remarks such as the above would win her popularity and romance. On the other hand, girls who are studious, eloquent, and assertive are often labeled as nerds (or worse).

Link Of The Day:

Vegan-Banana-Pudding_thumb

50+ Healthy Banana Recipes

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Sarah C says:

Making these today! I HEART all your recipes, CCK!

2. Kristie says:

Fudgy HEALTHY blondies? Count me in. Saved. Bumped to the top of the To Make list. Will be made asap. Will likely try a stevia and a sugar version. Or maybe half and half?! I’m a little excited right now 🙂

I do think that some girls play up the “dumb blonde” thing and are much more clever than they come across. As a way to get attention, or maybe as a way to be more approachable in a sense, since smarts can definitely be intimidating and unfortunately a turn off to some? Some guys just don’t seem to want to tackle the intelligence challenge! But in those cases, they defintiely aren’t worth the time anyway. It’s sad that some girls feel the need to dumb themselves down to get attention. I’d like to think that that’s going a bit more by the wayside though, intelligence in women is receiving a much greater spotlight these days. Finally!

1. Just beware if you do a stevia version that not everyone will be a fan LOL. My friends spit them out! I was like, “Well, no more for you!” 😉

3. Ally says:

Hey Katie!
    these look amazing! How much stevia did you use in place of the brown sugar?

1. LOL I’m not giving out that recipe, because I was the ONLY one who liked it! Everyone else thought it was horrible!

1. Donna says:

I think Stevia is one of those things like cilantro … there are some of us who find the taste of cilantro (and stevia) to be like soap. I read an article that there is a particular gene (?) that does make something in the cilantro (and I’m guessing stevia) taste very detergent-like!

4. Barefootcookingirl says:

Gotta make these tonight! I’ve been making the black bean brownies for awhile and why couldn’t I think of doing a white version? I’m blonde, but that can’t be it, ………..I guess I only think of any white bean as dip? Which reminds me, I’m almost out of hummus…and Fudge Babies….my, my, cooking in the kitchen tonight…..barefoot. 🙂
    Thanks Katie!

5. s says:

these look awesome!
    do you think i could use chickpea flour (mixed with water?) instead of garbanzo beans?

1. Maybe… I have no idea… but if you do try it let me know how it works! I really want to try subbing flour for the chickpeas in a future experiment.

1. s says:

i’m on it 😀

1. margot says:

pretty late reply…but any luck with the chickpea flour? i’m about to try the same thing!

6. ahhh I totally knew girls in high school who would play to the dumb blonde thing. But I think they’ve grown out of it. Thank goodness! It drives me crazy! We ladies need to be proud of our intelligence! 🙂

These blondies look AWESOME! I can’t wait to try this!

7. Ella says:

I am a “smart blonde” but lack common sense. Like I do some of the dumbest things/say some of the dumbest things ever but somehow I’ve made it 3 years into my premed degree haha. I do think some girls play it up.

Bahh those look so yummy!

8. Oh my goodness, I absolutely LOVE blondies, but absolutely hate how high in fat, calories, in sugar they are! I am already in love with this smart blonde recipe. Can’t wait to try it!

9. McKella says:

I’m not blonde, but I have my share of dumb blonde moments. Everybody does. For me, it’s usually an overabundance of booksmarts coupled with a lack of street smarts, but everyone has those moments where they don’t put two and two together.
    Also, I love that my husband likes brainy girls. His biggest celebrity crushes are Ellen Page, Felicia Day and Emma Watson. He has a definite type I think.

10. Katie, I am so excited to try these! My friend made some chickpea blondies once and they were so good! The recipe is really similar to yours, except hers had jam in them. I can’t wait to try your blondies. 🙂

11. qq:) says:

what to do if i don’t have flax?

1. I’ve never made them without flax. But as I told another commenter, I’d love to know the results if you do try something else (like subbing crushed oats or subbing flour).

1. katy says:

just a thought, the flax may be partially there as a vegan egg substitute (as is often the case) – so i would try using another egg substitute in its place. or maybe a combo of egg substitute and flour?

1. Update: quick oats work fine… and a few commenters say wheat germ works, too.

12. Chick peas as an an ingredient.. what an awesome idea!!

13. I like being blonde and proving any of those stereotypes wrong!

Any suggestions for using garbanzo bean flour instead of chickpeas?

1. As I told another commenter, I’ve never tried these with flour in place of the beans. But I want to! I want to try spelt flour or maybe even ww pastry. If you do try it with chickpea flour, I’d be VERY interested to know the results! 🙂

1. Maddie says:

I’ve tried them with spelt… delicious!!! YOUR BLOG IS AMAZING. thank you!

14. Alyssa says:

I think girls think its “Cute” to act dumb… that doesnt last long though!!

These look great Katie, as usual!

15. Victoria says:

I am a blond, and believe me I have seen some dumb people in high school. Sadly enough, It wasn’t limited to just blonds. On girl (brunette) said that she thought turkey “came from the ground” like a plant, not that it was an animal. She was also in AP English. Umm, if your going to act dumb, at least say something halfway believable.

16. Oh yes, the “dumb blonde” in our grade was in my Honors classes with me. She just said dumb things to get attention. She said stuff like the “wood” thing you mentioned plus other annoying things! Hated it!

On a lighter note, these look DELICIOUS!

17. Kasey says:

Can’t wait to make these!! 🙂

18. Alyssa Lemus says:

I’m new to following your blog and not only do I want to thank you for making HEALTHY DESSERTS HELLO! but….thank you for including nutritional stats. Not alot of blogs do that they just portion control eat and eat healthy but I still believe calories matter because thats how Ive been able to lose 50 pounds and keep it off, now I am 110 and feel great! 🙂 Thanks a gain love your desserts!

19. Amy says:

These looks great! I can only hope Paris Hilton is only playing dumb.. And I don’t see why everyone doesn’t love nerds!

1. Honestly, I love nerds… maybe I’m weird, but intelligence attracts me! Like guys who know how to use proper grammar and use big SAT words without thinking (i.e. not just doing it to show off)? Way more impressive than a motorcycle ;).

20. Gen says:

Can’t WAIT to make these!!! 😀 Great recipes!
    And by the way, I agree with you on dumb blondes not being dumb. Its a stereotype and I guess some people figure that they’ll be more popular if they live up to it……but really do they want to be known as the airhead for life?