Peach Breakfast Bake

Someday, I am going to be a very good grandma.

By the time I’m old, I will have had lots of practice. I often sit down for dinner at 5, constantly nag people to eat more vegetables, and living in Florida sounds like a dream!

But every now and then, I like to stay out late. Unfortunately, my body doesn’t care if I’m up at 2am; it’ll still be wide-eyed and ready to go by 6 the next morning! For example, on Friday night I went out dancing and had two friends spend the night afterward. I woke up at 5:30 yesterday morning, while they proceeded to sleep until noon.

That’s okay; I actually enjoy my time alone in the mornings. It’s peaceful when no one else is awake. Yesterday, when I got back from running and found my friends still asleep, I figured I’d surprise them with breakfast. Little did I know I’d be eating lunch by the time they got up…

Repinned over 10,000 times, the recipe is so healthy you can go ahead and have two bowls. For breakfast! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/06/26/peach-breakfast-bake/

What to make?

First, I looked through my archives of 100+ Healthy Oatmeal Recipes.

But–believe it or not–my friends aren’t the biggest oatmeal fans. So I decided to try something new on them. A few months ago, I’d pulled a recipe for apple crisp out of People magazine. It caught my eye due to its simplicity. I very loosely used this apple-crisp recipe as a guide for yesterday’s breakfast: peach breakfast bake. My friends loved it… when they finally woke up!

peachcrumble

pin-it

Peach Breakfast Bake

(Serves 3)

• 2 1/2 cups sliced peaches
  • 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup shredded wheat, crushed (You can try rice chex or crispies or flake cereal for a gluten-free version.)
  • 1/8 tsp uncut stevia OR 1/4 cup sugar of choice
  • 2 tbsp melted buttery spread or oil (Low-Fat Version: applesauce can be used instead.)
  • 1/4 tsp salt (use only 1/8 tsp if using salted buttery spread)
  • 1 container yogurt of choice, such as SoDelicious or Wholesoy

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix the peaches, lemon, arrowroot, cinnamon, 1/2 the salt, and 1/2 the sweetener in a bowl. Let sit for ten minutes. Meanwhile, stir the crushed cereal, remaining sweetener, remaining salt, melted margarine or oil, and applesauce in a bowl until well-blended. Spread the peach mixture in a small baking pan (such as a 4×7), and top with the cereal mixture. Bake for 45 minutes. Mix each portion with some of the yogurt, just before serving. Or, you can opt to be like one of my friends who exclaimed, “This would be awesome with vanilla ice cream on top!”

Nutrition facts are listed below:

Peach Breakfast Bake - indulgently sweet and creamy... and so healthy you can have two bowls. For breakfast! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/06/26/peach-breakfast-bake/ @choccoveredkt

Nutrition Facts:

Each serving with the sugar and added fat:

• 210 calories
  • 3 grams of fat
  • 0 mg cholesterol
  • 8 grams fiber!

(Nutrition information also includes the yogurt, based on So Delicious dairy-free yogurt.)

Tags: , , ,

1. I am a grandma at heart too :) I am a early riser! but not as early as you!!

2. hippierunner says:

I’m sure it was lovely to wake up to that! I’m an early bird, so I have always disliked sleeping over friend’s houses because I’d be up hours before anyone lol.

3. Oh man, you can be MY grandma!!! I’d love you for my grandma — I would always have the best treats. :)

4. BroccoliHut says:

I’m primed to be a good granny someday too–not only do I insist that others eat their veggies (hey, it’s kind of my job) but I also happen to have a fondness for bran and a wicked tea pot collection:)
    I love cooking from magazines…well, at least being inspired by them. I rarely follow recipes to a T.

5. Freya says:

Haha, I’d be an awesome gran too! I love cardigans, baking, and getting to bed at a good hour..or sitting down with the paper and a nice mugful of hot cocoa 😛
    I don’t tend to cook from magazines – probably cos I don’t buy any that a) have recipes, or b) have VEGAN recipes! That bake you made looks lovely though :)

1. Sarah says:

And knitting! Or maybe that’s just my grandma? She is SUCH a good knitter, making rugs and sweaters and all sorts of amazing things!

6. These look good! I rarely try recipes from magazines (why do when your recipes are waaayy better?) I’m totally not an early bird and need at least 8-9 hours of sleep or I’ll be sleepwalking the whole of the next day. Not good!

7. Abby says:

This looks so beautiful, especially the first photo. It looks like I could take it off the screen! I wish I could!

8. Leslie says:

Ahhaha your writing always cracks me up, Katie. You’re too funny :). I hope your friends know how lucky they are! And also, I need peaches now!

9. Gen says:

Yummy!!!
    I usually wake up before everyone else in the family….:P

10. Sarah says:

This looks so good! I actually have shredded wheat in my pantry right now. All I need is the peaches and I am SO making this!

11. This looks amazing! I always have the problem of adding too much sugar to my breakfast… but this looks so good I think I’d try the sugar free version and love it just as much, if not more! Normally, I’m not much of a morning person, but lately I find myself waking up early, so maybe I’m becoming one!

12. Emma says:

I remember your VT cake batter doughnut failure!

This looks delicious :).

13. I am always cutting out recipes from magazines. I have them organized in a binder and I love looking through it for new things to try!

14. Erika K says:

I rip recipes out of magazines all the time! But I never make them because I’m way too busy making YOUR fabulous recipes. I tried the ranch the other day, and it really was just as good as you said! Next up? Peach cobbler for breakfast :).

15. Ally says:

This looks great, and I have everything in my pantry except for the shredded wheat. What could I sub for the shredded wheat? Flour? Oats? I want to make this tomorrow morning for breakfast, so help a girl out :)

1. Hmmm… you could definitely try it with oats. Or maybe even something like rice chex or a gluten-free flake cereal, crushed (like Mesa Sunrise) or crispies. I can’t say for sure how it would taste, but I bet it’d be good. If you try it gluten-free, will you let me know how it goes? :)

1. Meg! says:

I may try it w/ coconut flour! I’ll letcha know!

1. Ooh definitely let me know! I have a bag of coconut flour and haven’t found very many uses for it yet.

2. Ally says:

So, the verdict is: oats = yummy in this recipe! It is sort of like a not-too-sweet fruit crisp for breakfast! I mised it with peach soy yogurt and even the hubby liked it :)

1. Aww score! I’m so glad it worked! :)

16. Amber K says:

I go back and forth. Like today I woke up at 6:30 am for no apparent reason, but then I’ve also been known to sleep until 9 or 10 as well, even though I always go to bed at the exact same time. I never stay up late enough anymore to sleep until noon, but nothing would surprise me!

I get inspired by recipes I find in magazines or online, but I have never in my life made a recipe as is. I always have to swap things out to suit my food intolerances and preferences.

17. Jane says:

YUM. That looks awesome!

18. Tricia says:

I’m an early riser definately! Friday night I fell asleep at 3 am and was wide awake at 7 hehe.
    That peach bake looks delish, btw :)

19. Vegyogini says:

I have those orange napkins, too (and in teal)! They look beautiful with your brunch dish!

20. Jess says:

this looks and sounds yummy; luckily, we just bought peaches yesterday, but i don’t think they’re ripe :(