Vegan Cool Whip

Oh my goodness goodness gosh.

vegan cool whip

(Do I sound like a pre-teen at a Justin Bieber concert?)

This light and creamy coconut whipped topping is totally dairy free, with just one main ingredient… but it has the exact same texture as real homemade whipped cream!

vegan whipped cream

Vegan Cool Whip

(or coconut whipped cream)

• 1 can full-fat coconut milk (or coconut cream)
  • sugar, stevia, or powdered sugar to taste
  • optional: fruit (banana whipped cream, anyone?)

Coconut Whipped Cream: Open your coconut milk, and if it’s not already super-thick, leave the can (or transfer to a bowl) uncovered in the fridge overnight. (Try not to shake the can too much before opening.) It should get very, very thick. (If it doesn’t, you’ve gotten a bad can that won’t work for the recipe. I recommend Thai Kitchen Organic. Trader Joe’s coconut cream works perfectly for this recipe as well. Hint: shake the can when you’re at the store. If you can hear the liquidy contents swishing around, it’s probably too thin to work for this recipe.) Once thick, transfer only the thick creamy part to a bowl and whip in your sweetener with a fork, or beaters if you want to be really fancy and get stiff peaks like real whipped cream!

View Cool Whip Nutrition Facts

dairy free whipped cream

vegan whipped cream

Have you ever eaten Cool Whip?

No matter how you use this whipped cream, you really can’t go wrong. I recommend eating it with a spoon. Or your fingers. Not that I’ve tried this or anything…

For a chocoholic version, click here: Homemade Chocolate Cool Whip.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. I’ve never liked whipped cream/cool whip or anything similar. Does it taste like cool whip or does it have more of a coconut flavour to it? Would love to try it on a stack of pancakes!

1. I don’t really notice an overly-coconutty flavor… but then again, I LOVE coconut, so if there was a slight hint of coconut in there, my mind would probably just register it as good (as opposed to deciphering what exactly the flavor is that I’m tasting… if that makes sense!).

2. Nichole says:

cool whip is great! i’ve totally frozen it and eaten it like ice cream before 😡

3. Tricia says:

YES! I have missed whipped cream ever since I became vegan! And I love coconuts so I wouldn’t mind it having a coconut flavor 😉

4. I have to admit to something. In my pre-vegan days I was a cool-whip ADDICT. Truly. I would open up a package, drizzle some chocolate syrup on top, and eat it. The whole thing. I will be leaving a can of coconut milk in my fridge opened tonight. Wow. I’m giddy.

5. Too bad you can’t put it in a can and directly shoot it into your mouth!

1. Rebecca says:

All you have to do is spoon it into a piping bag (or ziplock bag with the corner cut off) and tada! you can shoot it directly into your mouth!

6. Ashley says:

Yumm!! I made this for a pie once and was thrilled that it turned out!! So fun :) The fridge trick totally helps!

1. I’m only sad that it doesn’t always work! I guess it depends on the brand and the fat content of each individual can.

1. Janice says:

Is it against the rules for you to share the brand you used? I tried this the other day and wah-wah-wah. I even got the ‘full fat’ kind. Froze the dish, the beater, everything.

2. Liz says:

it helps if you put the coconut milk in the fridge(shake first) for at least 24 hrs so it can thicken. I’ve also found better luck with the organic milks. LOVE this recipe I can’t even tell a difference from real whip cream… then again I can’t remember the last time I had some.

1. nasa says:

I don’t understand… do you shake, or not shake? I didn’t, as per the instructions above, and it didn’t work; but here in the comment you say the opposite…

3. Maria says:

It’s not working for me! I have a cake just out of the oven cooling. But I just keep on getting clumpy mess. I tried with the exact brand recommended, it was super thick solid when I opened it. Then I tried the organic coconut cream I bought as backup. Same thing, just a clumpy soup. I’m using a hand beater.

1. Maria says:

Update! Got it to work! First I put my clumpy mess into tie blender, that made it smooth but not fluffy. I put it in the fridge for a couple of hours and tried with the hand beaters again, it worked! Super smooth and fluffy!

7. Megan says:

I think there’s a good number of people who eat Cool Whip straight up like ice cream ;D. You’re someone that has good taste and makes things taste good. In my opinion there’s no right or wrong way to eat something … as long as you enjoy what you eat that’s what matters!

I would use this whipped cream recipe: – mixed into some oatmeal – on top of cookies, muffins, cupcakes, brownies, pancakes, pie, dessert squares, ice cream, berries, coffee or hot chocolate and shakes – straight out of the bowl or container -mixed into a parfait – in between frozen banana slices -dip or mix in fudge babies or larabars -spread on top of a doughnut – in a s’mores treat -on a piece of chocolate

8. How coconut-y is this? What sweetener did you use? The texture looks great and I’d love to try this!

1. I used stevia… I don’t think it’s very coconutty at all. But maybe someone who hates coconut would disagree with me ;).

1. Sarah says:

How much stevia did you use?

9. Oh my goodness…. this would taste so good on your brownie batter pancakes that I made last weekend!!

10. Becky says:

Oh, Katie. This is my favorite thing in the WORLD. The whole WORLD I tell you! I’m so glad to know someone else gets so excited about this! Coconut milk from a can is just to die for, in fact, I can hardly refrain from drinking the whole can tiny sips at a time. But then in the fridge it becomes even more incredible and transforms into a thick, heavenly cloud of coconut cream. Bliss on my finger. LOVE this post.

P.S. We live in North Texas, too! Sometimes the blog world seems so detached from the real world, but knowing you live probably within an hour drive from me somehow makes your blog more personal. I read it every day! Keep it up!

1. Awww!! I can’t even tell you how much your entire comment made me smile :) :).

11. I’ve seen people use this sort of whipped cream (made from coconut milk) to make ganache/mousse to fill cakes so THAT’s the way I’m going to use it… riiiigghht after I finish eating them STraight from the bowl 😀

12. At first I didn’t see the cocoa reference and got worried that you didn’t think about adding chocolate. But everything is A-okay! 😉

13. Barb says:

Can you do this with any other flavors of non-dairy milk? I used to buy cool whip and keep it in the freezer, eating spoonfuls like it was ice cream, but then got creeped out by the amount of hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup that are in it. also, I read posts like this: http://www.jonathanfields.com/blog/horrifying-12-day-cool-whip-experiment/

I’ve missed cool whip and can’t wait to try your version! I could definitely use it to top those brownie batter pancakes you made the other day, i made some last night!

1. Lisa says:

wow- thanks for sharing that article. just read it- so creeped out!!!! yuck!!!

2. I don’t think so. When I say coconut milk, I don’t mean the So Delicious one. It needs to be the actual canned coconut milk.

1. Barb says:

OK, well it doesn’t matter! I’m going to try it with the coconut milk you suggested, I was just wondering if any other kinds came in cans like this!

1. I’ve never seen any, but that doesn’t mean they might not exist :).

3. Rebecca says:

I have left a full tub of Cool Whip out to thaw out from the freezer. I had forgotten about it before running out to do some shopping. When I returned, it was totally melted and completely unusable. I don’t know how my tub of CW was any different from this guy’s, but mine definitely didn’t look the same after just leave it out for a few hours, not nearly 2 weeks as he did.

14. Your pictures are gorgeous today!!!!! I love whipped cream and would definetly make this and use it on top of fresh berries!!!!

15. Stephanie M. says:

I would eat this straight out of the bowl as pictured above!! Yum!

16. That is so so so so awesome! I love that it’s basically one ingredient! I wonder if you could “frost” a cake with it? (obviously it would have to stay refrigerated)

1. I was thinking of stuffing cupcakes… like healthy hostess cupcakes!

1. Dianne says:

I bet you’re really think in about it now! I know I am! Lovvve your site Katie. My grand daughter’s name is Katie so I think about her every time I see one of your posts, recipes, or your humor. She is so much like you. Thank you.

17. I made something really similar with coconut milk- but made it into ice cream! Ill be posting it soon! :)

18. Melissa says:

I do eat Cool Whip straight up, but I am such a sucker for coconut that I’m pretty sure I’ll never want Cool Whip again after I try this. I’m going to add a little coconut extract, too, then die and go to heaven! :)

1. PBnJ Fam says:

oooh! adding coconut extract… genius!! I am drooling right now!!!

19. Gen says:

Awesome!!!! As for how I plan on eating this, is it acceptable to just eat it out of a bowl?

20. katie says:

Im not a cool whip lover, but I think your version might just grow on me, way better ingredients and the taste Im sure is better!

Love you!