Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Sugar-Free Chocolate Brownie Batter Dip

This is what happens when two roommates are bored on a Monday night:

brownie batter dip1

Brownie batter happens.

Just to be clear: Lentil stew also happened Monday night. We didn’t only eat brownie batter for dinner. Although that might have been fun…

brownie batter1

By popular demand, what follows is a sugar-free version of my Dark Chocolate Brownie Dip.

Emily and I liked this version, but I haven’t actually tried it on any of my other friends yet. So if you’re planning to bring it to a party with people not used to healthy-tasting desserts, I’d stick with the original decadent dip, linked above. (Or taste-test the following version before serving it to others. Then again, I think you should always taste-test before bringing a dish to a party!)

No-Sugar Brownie Batter Dip

Inspired by the Sugar-Free Cookie Dough Dip

• 1 can garbanzo beans, drained (250g)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • up to 2 tbsp milk of choice
  • 1/4c nut butter of choice (or oil, if you don’t want any nutty flavor)
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • a little over 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 and 1/4 cup pitted dates (I used SunMaid, from a regular grocery store)
  • optional: feel free to add flaxmeal or quick oats

In a bowl, cover the dates with 1/2 cup water. Let this sit for at least 8 hours. Then add all ingredients (including the dates’ soaking liquid) to a food processor and blend until very, very smooth. It tasted much better in a food processor than in a Vitamix, so use a blender at your own risk. To make this taste more like brownie batter from a boxed mix, use dutch-processed cocoa or Hersheys special dark. This dip can be served as a dessert dip, as a spread with fruit or crackers, eaten with a spoon, mixed into oatmeal, stuffed into cupcakes, or even used to top pancakes.

If you wish, you can add some Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips.

brownie-batter-pancakes-1_thumb4

LINK OF THE DAY:

Brownie Batter Pancakes

1. This looks great, yay!!! Thanks for making a sf version-can’t wait to try 😀

2. Nope, no such thing as too much brownie batter!!!! :) Delish!

3. You can never, ever have too much brownie batter – or chocolate.

I was hoping to get a chance to make your cookie dough dip for a work food day but I ran out of time to get to the store. It’s on the list for next time though. I can’t wait to try it out.

4. Michelle says:

I gave the cookie dough dip a test drive last night for a work pot luck on Friday… My hubs and I still found it a little beanie. I only used about 1/3 cup brown sugar… Would you suggest adding more sugar? Or more peanut butter? Or maybe subbing oil for peanut butter? Maybe adding cocoa powder would do the trick?

1. Yes, you might want more sugar. Also, make sure to drain and rinse the beans very well. (Usually people who don’t KNOW the beans are in there can’t taste it. Sometimes if you know they’re in there beforehand, you can tell. So when I serve this, I only tell people the ingredients after they try it.)

5. Jennifer says:

Hmm….can you send some to my university office now please? I am sorta stuck here until late tonight and this looks so very good!

6. yum! To the batter and the pumpkin brews- nice choice!

7. Wondering says:

I’m wondering who this recipe is intended for if you have to tell people to taste test it before feeding it to someone who isn’t used to “healthy desserts”?

I’m just bewildered by the whole idea that you would make something that doesn’t taste good and then blog about it.

1. LOL no no, that wasn’t my intent. I guess it is worded a little oddly… I just meant to caution people because I hadn’t gotten a lot of people to taste-test it yet! Peoples’ tastes are so different, and so even though my roommate and I liked it, I can’t guarantee that EVERYone would like it. But I certainly would never post a recipe that I didn’t think was any good!

Sorry for the confusion! I’m going to go back and try to word it better now :).

1. Claire says:

Bravo, Katie. I think you handled your response to this rather snarky comment very well. Keep the great recipes coming!

2. Oh no, I’m actually glad she asked! Sometimes I don’t always pick the right words to convey what I want to say. I’m glad she pointed it out so I could clarify to make it clear I definitely didn’t mean the recipe was bad :).

8. Kira says:

Sooo glad I have a magic bullet in my residence and can try this out! 😀

9. What a brilliant way to be bored! This looks seriously so good! Love your dessert ideas!

10. NO WAY! Love that its high-protein and sugar free!

11. Claire says:

“We didn’t just eat brownie batter and pumpkin ale for dinner! Although now that I think of it, that might’ve been fun…”

Uuum, Katie? I definitely did this last week. Maybe or maybe not with a few glasses of wine. Haaahaha :) With skim milk, only a dash of nut butter and stevia instead of sugar, I’d say this makes a very healthy meal, wouldn’t you agree?

1. Hahaha I guess it’s true… I mean, it’s beans and fruit after all! And the alcohol just makes it better ;).

12. Sarah says:

Yummy yummy in mah tummy :) and NO there is no such thing as too much brownie anything. Especially on a chocolate covered blog. How about pumpkin brownie batter dip? That would be perfect for upcoming Thanksgiving parties!

1. Anonymous says:

i am sooo looking forward to some sort of pumpkin cookie dough dip!!!

13. Not just brownie batter, but there’s never such a thing as too much chocolate! This looks great. I still haven’t tried your cookie dough dip… I always forget to buy an extra can of garbanzos!

14. Eric Jaffa says:

pumpkin ale – Is that beer and pumpkin mixed in a blender?

1. It’s actually store-bought :).

15. Anything with the words brownie batter in them has GOT to be good. I love all your yummy, desserty, dips – thanks for sharing another one!

16. Your roommate is one lucky girl! Lots of good treats to sample!

17. I love when you say things like Brownie Batter and Cookie Dough…and then follow it with the words Sugar Free. Made my day!

18. May I please have a huge bowl of this with a spoon at my desk right now! This looks to die for!

19. that’s a lotta delicious and a lotta fiber. Good think I like both!

20. I know what you mean. I usually have trouble getting brownies baked because I eat most of the batter beforehand. I end up with a very small pan of brownies. It’s a problem.

21. Definetly not! Hahah this is fantastic 😀

22. I love your photos – they are awesome. That brownie batter looks good good!

23. There can never be too much brownie batter, lol. This looks fantastic!!

24. There is NO such thing as too much brownie batter … EVER.

25. Megan says:

Of course you can never have too much brownie batter! Especially when it is naturally sweetened like yours above. Are those sugar free chocolate chips above, or cocoa nibs? Regardless, it looks enticing! And lentil stew sounds amazing! I am in love with lentils…red, green, brown…they are all delicious. Question: Do you ever plan/want to publish a cookbook? And I am not a publisher making an offer, I just wanted to know!

1. They’re cacao nibs :).

I definitely do plan to publish a cookbook… right now I’m delaying it for a few reasons, but it’s definitely going to happen!! :)

26. Andrea says:

Chocolate and pumpkin ale… mmmmm… sounds like a good girl night.

27. Just to be clear, I wouldn’t judge you if you ONLY had brownie batter and pumpkin ale. Sounds like ladies night :)

28. Yummy!! I love that you can even make beans taste like chocolate. You have a special gift, Katie-loo!

29. OH MY LORD. I just died a little in the best way possible. aaaaah!

30. Kit-Kat says:

There is no such thing, untill you are on the floor sick from too much brownie batter! I don’t like to think about that, so I eat only untill I am satisfied with my brownie cravings. Yum!
    Would plumped up raisins also work instead of dates, do you think??? My dad has a bad reaction to dates and figs (too bad, ‘cuz I love ’em), and I know he would love this recipe. What do you think?

1. Hmmm… it sounds like a fun experiment! Let me know if you do try!

1. Kit-Kat says:

Will do! :-)

31. Looks like an ice cream sundae dip :-)

32. Ah! glorious! Do you have nutritional info on this one?

33. Is there such a thing as too much brownie batter? = no never :)

I love the upside down pic with the spoon…cool shot!

34. Amanda says:

This sounds incredible! And I love that you used dates to add sweetness. I can’t wait to try your recipe!

P.S. I would have totally understood if you had beer and chocolate for dinner. Everything in moderation, right? 😉

35. Moni'sMeals says:

Long live the Brownie Batter! I still need to make this!

36. Mmmmm I love eating brownie and cookie batter! Who needs to bake? Bring on the spoon! 😀

37. Michele says:

Katie, how many servings would you say this makes? And how does the melted banana trick work with this one? [I hate prunes. I know, but I just DO].

1. LOL it depends on how you’re eating it, I guess. It filled my food processor up :).
      I’ve definitely tried a banana version, and it was really good! But if you don’t want a distinct banana flavor, you won’t like the banana version.

1. Michele says:

Heh! Good answer 😉 How much banana would I need? I don’t mind banana taste. It’s a good way to cut the sugar.

[By the way, my friend Tiffany the blogger has met you and says you’re awesome – you gave her some fudgie babies that she’s still talking about. We are Seattle folks].

2. Awww!
        You are so lucky to live in Seattle. I always hear it’s such a fun city (especially for vegans like me!).
        I made the banana version a looooong time ago so I actually don’t remember how much I used. But lol now I just saw my reply is too late anyway ;).

38. As the kid who used to bemoan when the brownies went into the oven, this recipe looks awesome!

PS — made your pumpkin pizookie! Oh hells yes!

39. Oh my giddy aunt, this looks divine. I’m trying to avoid sugar because it makes me feel sick but am still craving desserts. Perfect, katie, as always. Your ability to keep devising new recipes astounds me-so clever!

40. Charissa says:

MMMM, this would be so yummy with graham crackers…

41. No, there is never too much brownie batter. NEVER.

I think this would taste best with some cookies for dippage :)

42. There’s never such thing as too much brownie batter, cake batter or cookie dough. Why can’t those be considered “gourmet” desserts, ha.

43. Shawn Nichols says:

I love reading your blog and have tried a couple recipes which were so yummy. I haven’t been able to find the nut butters so have not yet been able to try the cookie dough recipes. That I would try if i were to win the nut butter.

44. Mandi says:

Hi Katie… I have a question for you, a naturally thin person… From the perspective of proper food combining, this batter you suggest is a combo abombo….my tummy would be rumbling all night and in the morning I would probably still be bloated. Does this happen to you? Do naturally thin peoples body take any combination of food and digest without bloating and gas? I don’t usually food combine properly but when I do my tummy is flat. Do thin people like you always have flat tummies? I am so curious : ) Thanks! Looks yummy : )

1. Oh lol no my stomach definitely does NOT always stay flat! It’s so funny… after a big meal, I can make it balloon out to look like I’m pregnant. My friends think it’s the most hilarious thing, and it’s an especially fun trick if you’re at a pool party.

I don’t know much about food combining, but I do know that I need to be careful around certain foods (like if I have savory oats, I shouldn’t plan to have a lot of veggies with the meal too… it’s just too much bulk, and my tummy feels awful afterwards). I’m especially careful around roast cauliflower. I could eat the entire head in a sitting, but I know I’d feel yucky afterwards!

45. I’m in! Just put garbanzo beans on my grocery list!

46. I’ll have a big bowl of this, please.

47. haha came come over next time for beer and brownies??

never too much brownies 😉

1. Yes, PLEASE do!!! Please please? I still so want to meet you :).

48. Nathalie says:

Mmm… this looks divine. I ordered a bunch of cans of garbanzo beans online a while back but I still haven’t used them yet. Might be about time to correct that!

Your answer to the above comment about bulk/food combining I find interesting. I know you need to take in a lot of calories to sustain yourself; do you find yourself eating beyond full just to meet that requirement? I know for me, especially as someone who is actually experiencing some reproductive issues due to inadequate energy intake coupled with vigorous exercise, I usually end up really packing it in at dinner =/ If I don’t, I’d have a hard time getting enough in in a day. And even doing that, a portion of my dinner usually becomes my pre-run snack the next morning!

Also I wanted to mention, in case one of your readers was having the same issues I was when doing vegan baking. If I didn’t use eggs or egg whites, the product was usually gooey and would collapse instead of rising. BUT, I figured out that if I add wheat gluten (a powder) to the dry ingredients, it turns out wonderful and cakey like I like =) I can only assume the necessary component is the protein, gluten being wheat protein and eggs being… uh.. egg protein. If anyone has further insight into this, I’m all ears!

1. Ooh that’s really smart, girl! I know my mom has a package of gluten at her house. I might have to experiment baking with it.
      And yes, I do often have to eat when I’m not hungry. But I also try to eat a lot of calorie-dense foods so I don’t take up too much room in my stomach before I’m full! :)

49. Jana says:

Yum! No Stevia and still sugarfree: Your a genious!
    I think I’ll throw in an banana, too :)

50. Jade C says:

Hi Katie,
    I was wondering, how do you go about eating these dips?? I mean are they for dipping things like fruit, putting on porridge?? I was just wondering really. You do seem to like your dips!! :) :) .

1. Yeah, these things are real crowd-pleasers. Usually when I make them, it’s for a party, and I bring graham crackers or fruit. This dip can be served as a dessert dip, as a spread with fruit or crackers, eaten with a spoon, mixed into oatmeal, stuffed into cupcakes, or even used to top pancakes. It’s completely up to you :).

51. Michele says:

The banana worked really well! I melted it with a little brown sugar. I used an entire banana, but even though I’m not a sweets person – I still had to add about two tablespoons additional sugar to hide the ‘beaniness.’ I’m going to try black beans next time. 😉

1. I was going to ask about the black beans…I don’t have garbanzos on hand, but I do have black beans…I’m thinking about doing a little experiment :)

52. Rachel says:

Hi Katie- can I make a reader’s request for a healthy tiramisu recipe? :) just tried your fudge brownies. So. Good.

1. Yes, you definitely can! Actually, it’s been on my “to make” list for a while. I do need to get around to it someday soon!

53. LizAshlee says:

I love any sort of batter, cookie dough, etc. You know what I like!! :) Have a great day! :)

54. Meki says:

will this work without the beans or dates? or both?

55. Kathleen says:

I love how much you love chocolate. :)

56. Jess says:

OMG I just made this and did a little dance as I was taste-testing it from the food processor! This is the best thing ever – you cannot even taste the beans and the dates sweeten up the dip up amazingly!! I will definitely be using this in oatmeal and other places! Do you have the nutritionals for this by tablespoon? If not, no biggie, I am just curious. Thanks for this amazing recipe!! : )

1. Sorry, I don’t! I did post nutritional info for the pumpkin dip, but that’s the only one of the bean dip recipes I actually bothered to figure out.
      I’m so glad you like it!!

57. Madeline says:

I really want to make this tonight is there anyway I can soak the dates for less then 8 hours? I’m craving a desert that is sugar free and chocolate full!

xoxo,
    Madeline

1. It depends on the dates you have… if they’re already soft (like Sunmaid), it should be ok to just do 3-4ish hours. But some dates are much tougher.

1. Madeline says:

I had medjool dates and I only soaked them for around an hour and it still turned out amazing!! Thanks so much for the recipe!!

2. kelly says:

I have microwaved mine and that also softens them up quickly. =0)

58. Laura says:

Katie, what kind of pumpkin ale did you get? If you can still find it this late in the season, look for Southern Tier’s Pumking – it is by far the best pumpkin beer made.

1. I think it was Buffalo Bills lol. I will try to look for the one you mentioned!

59. Grati says:

Ok,i know i can get this info on google and so on,but i think it’s best to ask the “inventor” of these recipes.Can you please please tell me how much a cup is?I don’t mean exactly,maybe…compared to a water glass or tablespoons or anything. I’ve tried one of your recipes already and it turned out yumy althout i’m not sure it really turned as it should:))) I am really new at cooking and ever more at making it vegan…and thanks for posting great recipes!

1. Sorry, I’m not exactly sure what you mean… how much what? A cup is 16 tablespoons, if that’s what you mean :).

60. Renae says:

Don’t dates have fructose in them? Yes, it’s much healthier than a dessert with a big glob of refined sugar, but it’s not technically “sugar-free” if they do because fructose is a sugar. And it’s really not if you add a banana as at least one person suggested. That little nit-pick aside, you have some of the most amazingly creative, yummy-licious recipes here. I’m an unapologetic carnivore and ‘health-conscious’ is a phrase that isn’t used often in conjunction with my name, but, I do love chocolate (and foods with surprising ingredients) so I am actually looking forward to trying some of these out. If I like them, it can only be a win-win, right?

1. Hi Renae,

When I say “sugar-free” I mean free of the white stuff, or even agave, maple syrup, or other added sugar (as opposed to naturally-occuring sugars). Even things like vegetables and milk have naturally-occuring sugars ;). Sorry for the confusion!

61. This is fantastic! I used a combination of almond butter and coconut oil, and it was delicious!! I spread it on a big stack of almond flour pancakes today.. so decadent and nutritious to boot! :)

62. Katherine says:

Hey Katie, I really love your blog and recipes! I did want to comment though that it is kind of misleading when you label a recipe as sugar free but include bananas or dates in the recipe.. Even though your not putting processed sugar in the mix, it still has sugar! Maybe sugar free versions can include stevia?

1. Hi Katherine,
      A few other commenters actually have been posting about this in a different post. Here’s the thread if you’re interested: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/09/27/new-recipe-sugar-free-cookie-dough-dip/#comment-139200

63. Al says:

I made this with a very ripe banana (and half a not-as-ripe banana) instead of dates, and I added flaxseed meal.. YUM!

1. Timothy from Montana says:

Al, you are smarter than me. Dates are 8 bucks a pound FFS. Four of the little suckers cost me 2, Geez-ass. I have not bought dates in a year, so maybe it was time but a the texture and sweetness of both is probably similar enough to make for a suitable substitution. As this my first time making the dip, I did not want to distract from the chocolate flavor, and I thought the banana might do that, but in the future I will try the banana.

64. Timothy from Montana says:

To Ms. Katie,
    Do you use whole dates? Do you use already chopped dates (from Sun-Maid)? The pre-chopped variety was all I could find in my local grocery store’s baking isle. The only whole dates I found were in the produce section and they were wicked expensive. I only bought four, that could be 1/4-1/3 of a cup. I am going to supplement with molasses, which may go well with the chocolate.

1. I use Sunmaid whole dates… but maybe the pre-chopped ones could work too?

65. Timothy from Montana says:

Feedback:

1. Timothy from Montana says:

Oops. Anyway, I decided not to use most of the soaking liquid from the dates. That may have been a mistake as the “dip” came out with the consistency of a spread. I used chocolate hazelnut butter (not Nutella, actually hazelnut butter) and added a tablespoon of molasses to make up for the lack of date-soaking water. The taste was fine but it lacked the “pop” of chocolate that I would expect from actual brownie batter. I picked up the hazelnut and the vanilla was really strong. I melted some 90% chocolate and added that. I thought it might loosen up the consistency but it may have had the opposite effect. So the texture is kind of dry and chunky (like a spread); and, there is not a very strong chocolate flavor (like actual brownie batter). Any advice you may provide would be helpful.

1. Unfortunately, I definitely wouldn’t have gotten rid of the soaking liquid… :-?.
        Maybe add a little almond milk?

66. Therese says:

Wow! So good, my kids all have happy chocolate covered smiles thanks to Chocolate Covered Katie! I didn’t soak the dates (just not organized enough) but the vitamix dealt with them just fine, and I upped the liquids.

67. Kaylee says:

Hey Katie! I’ve been stalking your blog for a while now, but this is the first time I’ve left a comment. Just wanted to let you know that I SO appreciate your tasty inventions! I tend to eat really healthily… until it comes to desserts… so I am loving the the creative genius of your healthy desserts! I’ve also been spreading the word to friends and family!

As a side note, I made this recipe tonight and used raisins instead of dates, bc I only had raisins. Same proportions and everything, as well as the soaking water, and it turned out great! :)

1. Thanks for making me smile, and glad to know that the raisins worked. :)

68. Michelle says:

Hi Katie! I love your recipes! Any kind of alternative sweetener negatively affects me…splenda>migraines, stevia>bloating…so I LOVE these sugar free recipes using dates. Thank you so much! I’m soaking dried chickpeas and dates to make this tomorrow. Have you ever experimented subbing applesauce or a banana for the oil? Do you have any guesses or recommendations?

69. Ericka says:

Hi!
    I’m sorry if this has been asked before or already answered. Anyone can answer me if they want to.

What are Garbanzo beans? Can I use chick peas or white kidney beans instead?

1. Anonymous says:

Garbanzo beans are the same thing as chickpeas.

70. Susanna says:

My ice cream loving husband loves this frozen! Good ice cream substitute! :)

71. Kit-Kat says:

Would raisins work, instead of the dates?

1. If you try it, please report back!! :)

72. Mia says:

All I can taste when I make these dips is chickpeas but they look so lovely in the pictures :( Any other substitutions for the beans?

73. Hanah says:

Thanks so much for this recipe! It is delicious and very adaptable. It has become a staple dessert in our house. I enjoy adding a little vanilla and almond extract to give it the taste of my favorite chocolate cake batter. Tonight we will eat this with apples, apricots, and cherries to dip with! I really appreciate the creativity and attention to healthy living that goes into your recipes. <3

74. Mandy says:

Could you use black beans instead of chickpeas since they’re a dark bean? Or is their taste more bean-y? I’m just curious!

75. Jenny says:

This stuff is awesome. Make a batch every other week and use it to spread on sprouted grain toast in the morning. :) I use cashew butter to keep it tasting more like chocolate and less like any other nut butter. Great recipe!

76. Andria says:

Hello,
    I am wondering if this is spreadable? Would it be able to be used as a frosting?
    Thanks!

1. I think you could… maybe add a little extra liquid?

77. Wren says:

I made the sugar free Hershey cocoa version, and ended up needing to increase the cocoa by a tablespoon, and the vanilla by a half teaspoon, but WOW, it tasted just like prepared brownie mix! Thanks so much Katie, your recipes are an inspiration, and have made my low sugar low wheat diet soooo much more bearable!

78. Thank you, thank you, thank you Katie, this is absolutely addicting! We used dark chocolate cocoa powder that you recommended and added an extra tablespoon. After tasting, we decided to also add a 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips to the processor and blended it until smooth. Unbelievable! This is so delicious. My almost three-year old daughter even liked it (and she does not like beans at all). Thank you so much for a wonderfully healthy snack.

79. kristin says:

Hi!! This looks delicious, except I dont have any dates. Could I use raisins instead?

80. Amy says:

Made this tonight for a healthy work event tomorrow. I was skeptical about the dates making it sweet enough, but it was perfect. I wouldn’t change a thing about the recipe. I noticed others say they needed to add more cocoa or chocolate chips. I think the key is to use a really good cocoa powder. I used Barry Cocoa Powder – 100% Cacao – Extra Brute

Now, I just have to stop myself from eating it all before taking it to work tomorrow…

81. Erica says:

Are you able to supb raisins for the dates?

1. Sorry, I have never tried.

82. Leah says:

Great great GREAT recipe!!! I absolutely love your website, so many great recipes!:)

The first time I made this, I omitted the nut butter, halved the recipe, and used four dried figs instead. AMAZING! The fig flavor worked great with this recipe.

When I used the other half of my can of beans, I used a whole banana, too much almond milk, and too little cocoa powder (a sin I tell you!). Kind of ended up as a mushy banana paste.

I have another can of beans and no figs, so I came back to your website to see how to use a banana. I’m thinking 1 banana for the whole can of beans and no almond milk. Have you tried it with banana again?

Anyway, my breakfast tomorrow will be trial 2 with the banana, and I can’t wait! Thanks again for all the great recipes.:)

83. Leah says:

Just made this, awesome!!! I used 1 cup homemade bean, and 6 dried figs. I also omitted all the fat. Soooooo good!!! Thank you for all there great recipes!!!

84. Amy says:

Already have made the original famous cookie dough dip! Trying this version out next….and you really can’t taste the beans. I made the cookie dough dip and went to the gym…later when I arrived home I walked in to see my boyfriend nearly face n eyes into the bowl! He loved it! and then I told him the ingredients 😉 …he had his friends try it and everything. They loved it as well and had NO idea the main ingredient was chickpeas lol

85. Sav says:

Hello! Do the cookie dip recipes need to be chilled before eating, or are they also good warm?

86. Briana says:

If you’ve never had dates before, I would add some stevia to this recipe.

87. Rachel says:

Mmm….eating this by the spoonful. Must put it away :) Thanks, Katie!

88. Marissa says:

Made a few adjustments but I can at least answer some questions. I don’t like the taste of garbanzo beans so I rinsed off a can of black beans very well…it worked perfectly, can’t detect the ‘beaniness’ at all! For whoever was asking about chopped dates, I used only 1 cup of them, I felt like I could taste the dates so I doubled the amount of cocoa powder, which helped immensely! I did 3 Tbsp coconut oil + 2 Tbsp peanut butter and the more I eat it the more I can taste the peanut butter (which I personally like but if you don’t care for it use a different nut butter or more oil…applesauce may even work but I thought it would end up too sweet). Overall it tastes awesome!