Sugar-Free Chocolate Brownie Batter Dip

This is what happens when two roommates are bored on a Monday night:

brownie batter dip1

Brownie batter happens.

Just to be clear: Lentil stew also happened Monday night. We didn’t only eat brownie batter for dinner. Although that might have been fun…

brownie batter1

By popular demand, what follows is a sugar-free version of my Dark Chocolate Brownie Dip.

Emily and I liked this version, but I haven’t actually tried it on any of my other friends yet. So if you’re planning to bring it to a party with people not used to healthy-tasting desserts, I’d stick with the original decadent dip, linked above. (Or taste-test the following version before serving it to others. Then again, I think you should always taste-test before bringing a dish to a party!)

No-Sugar Brownie Batter Dip

Inspired by the Sugar-Free Cookie Dough Dip

• 1 can garbanzo beans, drained (250g)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • up to 2 tbsp milk of choice
  • 1/4c nut butter of choice (or oil, if you don’t want any nutty flavor)
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • a little over 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 and 1/4 cup pitted dates (I used SunMaid, from a regular grocery store)
  • optional: feel free to add flaxmeal or quick oats

In a bowl, cover the dates with 1/2 cup water. Let this sit for at least 8 hours. Then add all ingredients (including the dates’ soaking liquid) to a food processor and blend until very, very smooth. It tasted much better in a food processor than in a Vitamix, so use a blender at your own risk. To make this taste more like brownie batter from a boxed mix, use dutch-processed cocoa or Hersheys special dark. This dip can be served as a dessert dip, as a spread with fruit or crackers, eaten with a spoon, mixed into oatmeal, stuffed into cupcakes, or even used to top pancakes.

If you wish, you can add some Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips.

brownie-batter-pancakes-1_thumb4

LINK OF THE DAY:

Brownie Batter Pancakes

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Nope, no such thing as too much brownie batter!!!! :) Delish!

2. You can never, ever have too much brownie batter – or chocolate.

I was hoping to get a chance to make your cookie dough dip for a work food day but I ran out of time to get to the store. It’s on the list for next time though. I can’t wait to try it out.

3. Michelle says:

I gave the cookie dough dip a test drive last night for a work pot luck on Friday… My hubs and I still found it a little beanie. I only used about 1/3 cup brown sugar… Would you suggest adding more sugar? Or more peanut butter? Or maybe subbing oil for peanut butter? Maybe adding cocoa powder would do the trick?

1. Yes, you might want more sugar. Also, make sure to drain and rinse the beans very well. (Usually people who don’t KNOW the beans are in there can’t taste it. Sometimes if you know they’re in there beforehand, you can tell. So when I serve this, I only tell people the ingredients after they try it.)

4. Jennifer says:

Hmm….can you send some to my university office now please? I am sorta stuck here until late tonight and this looks so very good!

5. yum! To the batter and the pumpkin brews- nice choice!

6. Wondering says:

I’m wondering who this recipe is intended for if you have to tell people to taste test it before feeding it to someone who isn’t used to “healthy desserts”?

I’m just bewildered by the whole idea that you would make something that doesn’t taste good and then blog about it.

1. LOL no no, that wasn’t my intent. I guess it is worded a little oddly… I just meant to caution people because I hadn’t gotten a lot of people to taste-test it yet! Peoples’ tastes are so different, and so even though my roommate and I liked it, I can’t guarantee that EVERYone would like it. But I certainly would never post a recipe that I didn’t think was any good!

Sorry for the confusion! I’m going to go back and try to word it better now :).

1. Claire says:

Bravo, Katie. I think you handled your response to this rather snarky comment very well. Keep the great recipes coming!

1. Oh no, I’m actually glad she asked! Sometimes I don’t always pick the right words to convey what I want to say. I’m glad she pointed it out so I could clarify to make it clear I definitely didn’t mean the recipe was bad :).

7. Kira says:

Sooo glad I have a magic bullet in my residence and can try this out! 😀

8. What a brilliant way to be bored! This looks seriously so good! Love your dessert ideas!

9. NO WAY! Love that its high-protein and sugar free!

10. Claire says:

“We didn’t just eat brownie batter and pumpkin ale for dinner! Although now that I think of it, that might’ve been fun…”

Uuum, Katie? I definitely did this last week. Maybe or maybe not with a few glasses of wine. Haaahaha :) With skim milk, only a dash of nut butter and stevia instead of sugar, I’d say this makes a very healthy meal, wouldn’t you agree?

1. Hahaha I guess it’s true… I mean, it’s beans and fruit after all! And the alcohol just makes it better ;).

11. Sarah says:

Yummy yummy in mah tummy :) and NO there is no such thing as too much brownie anything. Especially on a chocolate covered blog. How about pumpkin brownie batter dip? That would be perfect for upcoming Thanksgiving parties!

1. Anonymous says:

i am sooo looking forward to some sort of pumpkin cookie dough dip!!!

12. Not just brownie batter, but there’s never such a thing as too much chocolate! This looks great. I still haven’t tried your cookie dough dip… I always forget to buy an extra can of garbanzos!

13. Eric Jaffa says:

pumpkin ale – Is that beer and pumpkin mixed in a blender?

1. It’s actually store-bought :).

14. Anything with the words brownie batter in them has GOT to be good. I love all your yummy, desserty, dips – thanks for sharing another one!

15. Your roommate is one lucky girl! Lots of good treats to sample!

16. I love when you say things like Brownie Batter and Cookie Dough…and then follow it with the words Sugar Free. Made my day!

17. May I please have a huge bowl of this with a spoon at my desk right now! This looks to die for!

18. that’s a lotta delicious and a lotta fiber. Good think I like both!

19. Definetly not! Hahah this is fantastic 😀

20. I love your photos – they are awesome. That brownie batter looks good good!