A Day in the Life

Normally, the main subjects of my posts are the recipes.

I’m actually somewhat shy and don’t like a lot of attention on myself.

cck

But many people have asked what I do as a full-time blogger.

I do not just sit around and eat cookies all day. (Too bad, ‘cause that would be fun.) I work really hard! So today’s post is going to be a little different from the normal recipe posts.

A Day in the Life:

I wake up naturally around 5am, amble downstairs, and start replying to a massive amount of emails, comments, facebook messages, and tweets. If it’s a running day, I’ll eat pre-run snack, then and answer more questions while waiting for the food to digest. [Insert run here: a little over an hour]

Upon returning, I quickly check the computer again, then eat a real breakfast.

chocolate-oatmeal

Yesterday’s breakfast was this: 5-Minute Chocolate Oatmeal.

With breakfast done, I go back over to the computer, this time to ensure the day’s post published as scheduled. I work on writing new posts for about an hour and a half, taking mini breaks to measure dry ingredients, get one or two things started on the stove or oven, and cook something else in the microwave. (I’ve become a master at multitasking.) Then I run upstairs for a quick shower, after which I do maybe 20-30 more minutes of blogwork (writing posts, editing photos, answering questions) whilst also making lunch.

After lunch, I take Henry and Batman for a walk (unless they’re at my parents’ house, in which case I go by myself). I come back and do a photoshoot or two, since it’ll usually be nice and light out by this time. I also do some taste-testing of whatever recipe experiments were cooked that morning. Yesterday, I tested chocolate peanut butter pie and peach cinnamon coffee cake.

About two hours after lunch I’m usually hungry again, so I’ll have a snack. Sometimes the day’s experiments have turned out so well that I’ll just eat them for snack.

day in the life

Yesterday’s snack was one of my favorites: Fudge Brownie Energy Bars.

Yes, more chocolate.

Then it’s back to the kitchen for more recipe experiments (and washing dishes!). I also continue to check the computer intermittently, answering questions and emails. Y’all ask a lot of questions, which I love because it means people are reading and making the recipes. I do try to answer as many as I possibly can!

Some days I run errands, often with a friend (or my roommate, if she’s off from work) to keep me company. And then it’s dinnertime, which is often followed by hanging out with whatever friends (if any) have found their way over. Our house is quickly becoming the “hang out after work” place, and I take advantage of this by giving out samples of the day’s experiments, asking for honest opinions.

pumpkin-brownie

Not all my experiments turn out; it sometimes takes two or three trials before I arrive at a recipe worthy of publishing… or ten in the case of my Chocolate Pumpkin Brownies!

Sometimes we’ll watch tv (Gossip Girl, Friends, whatever sports are on), but I always have a notebook in hand to multitask—brainstorming recipe combinations, writing out new posts, making a to-do list, etc. After people leave (or even sometimes when they’re still over), I’ll schedule the next day’s post, continue to tackle the never-ending inbox, eat a nighttime snack—usually more chocolate!—and finally turn off the computer. I don’t take days off, and even if there’s no post for the day I’m still working on all the other components of the site. When it’s time for bed, I rarely have a problem falling asleep.

I know some people (a lot of people?) think blogging isn’t a “real” job, but truthfully it’s no different from saying my job is: photographer, photo-editor, recipe developer, writer, and often–too often!–web technician. It’s definitely never boring!

What do you do as your job?

Do you enjoy what you do? I love almost every minute of this (except when the site crashes or an experiment fails… those times are no fun), and I really hope to continue running this website for as long as people continue to read.

EDIT: By popular demand:

Part Two: Questions and Answers

Tags:

1. I am a high school student as my full time job! 🙂 I know that you don’t like writing about yourself, but your life is so interesting! I think you should write more posts like this to help out other bloggers, and also because you deserve some time in the spotlight… Not just your amazing food!

2. RunEatRepeat says:

I don’t think I officially call myself a blogger, usually I say I’m a personal trainer first. I wish a was a full time fro-yo taste tester 🙂

3. Wow, that sounds like a tiring day, it seems like you have no rest time at all!

And gosh, Katie, you are so pretty! I’d love to know what makeup you use, as I’m a bit of a beauty junkie 😉

Thanks for letting us spy on you for the day!

1. Thank you so much, Holly :).
      I really know embarrassingly little about makeup and how to use it properly! I’ve never even tried liquid eyeliner… they make so many products that when I go into a store like Ulta I am overwhelmed! Pretty much when I wear makeup it’s just blush and bronzer (Estee Lauder), eyeshadow (urban decay), and whatever free mascara my mom has gotten in one of her gifts from Clinique or Estee Lauder. I’m not picky lol.

1. Oh my gosh, last summer when I was in Maryland my aunt took my to Ulta and I thought I was in heaven! We don’t have huge makeup stores in Ireland like in the US, we just have beauty floors in the department stores and also drugstores.
        You always look so pretty and put together in your pictures. Thanks for sharing ! 🙂

2. Eco Chic says:

I became a vegetarian two years ago because of ethical or humane reasons and have also read some articles on cosmetic testing on animals. I personally try to avoid all products I can that are tested on animals. I was wondering if that is ever a concern of yours or not.
        I love your blog and everything you do! It helps me so much everyday with finding healthy recipes for me to munch on. Thanks!

1. I actually gave up animal-tested products even before I became a vegetarian! 🙂
          I try to never buy any product tested on animals (or from a company whose parent company–like Proctor and Gamble–tests on animals). I’ve written letters to the companies as well. Cosmetic testing on animals is ridiculous and absolutely unnecessary… I can’t even imagine my sweet little puppies being held down while someone forces perfume into their sad eyes or makes them swallow a pint of shampoo :(.

4. Very interesting … thanks for sharing!! 🙂 I’m a school psychologist. Right now, however, I’m only working part time because we moved in the middle of the school year and I could only obtain contract work. So I get to spend more time blogging than usual! 😉

1. Wow, a psychologist! I’m in my last year of school, and a joint degree in Psychology and Maths is my first choice on my university application form (what we have in Ireland).

5. Janae says:

Thanks for posting about this Katie. Yes, full-time blogging is “real job” as you’ve demonstrated. I think too often people think it’s glamorous, like bloggers just sit around in sweats all day (I’m sure some do!) and can do whatever they want, unlike the people in the “real world.” What many don’t realize is really how much behind the scenes work there is.

I’m in the process of transitioning to a full-time blogger, and blown away at the shear time/sweat equity involved. Thankfully, I really enjoy what I do, otherwise, I WOULD NOT continue blogging. Too time-intensive, and for the first while, there are no guarantee’s that all the time, work, and money will pay off.

You’ve clearly shown that hard work, lots of time & creative energy, good content, and a lovely personality can make a successful blog. Thanks for sharing!

6. My job is being a law student! And your schedule sounds pretty darn nice to me! I guess that’s the flexibility you get with working from home, no one is there watching you, so you make your own schedule. But then on the other hand you never really leave “the office”!

7. It was really interesting to see your day in the life! I can definitely see how your inbox would be never-ending also! I have three separate email accounts (work, blog, school) and there is always something that needs attention in one way or another.

1. Oh and also, I am currently a full-time research assistant and receptionist. In the Fall, I’ll be a full-time graduate student, teaching assistant, and research assistant. 🙂

8. Charissa says:

Loved this post Katie…it’s truly amazing how much time it takes to blog. I spend hours daily, while trying to balance my home life and studies…it’s not easy to do it all sometimes, but I admire the fact you seem to have your schedule ironed out. I still need to get parts of my life organized! 🙂

And yes, it is a job!

9. anonymous says:

Ok, I must admit I was formerly under the camp of people who would say blogging isn’t a real job because I’m able to maintain a job and a blog on the side. But Katie, after reading your post I really must apologize to you. I never thought about the fact that a bigger (fulltime) blogger would have mountains more emails and comments and fans to answer, as well as having to do a lot more on the technical side of things and not just post any old “ok” recipe like I do on my little blog. I’ve seen the crazy number of comments on your post and always marvelled at how beautifully you respond to your readers (Not all big bloggers do that, and I really appreciate that you do!) I bet answering all the comments alone takes up half the day! Thank you for all your hard work, and I really hope you continue on with it because you are helping so many people in a day and age when more and more people are struggling to get healthy. Thanks for giving us delicious alternatives to those cardboard rice cakes. Your pb cookie dough cookies are my favorite recipe in the world!
    I love your blog and hope you continue all the hard work

10. Great post! I loved the insight into your daily life – very interesting. You definitely keep busy!!

11. Alison Williams says:

I am a runner as well and I have loved all your recipes! Life as a full time blogger is busy! How do you get paid?

12. Whitney says:

You are soooo gorgeous! You must NEVER take a bad photo! I love that you took some time to share what a normal day looks like for you– I’ve often wondered about how people like yourself make a career out of food-blogging. It’s so inspiring and interesting to me.

Currently, I stay employed in a variety of ways. I studied graphic design in college, so my “day job” (30 hr/wk) is as a graphic artist at a print shop. However, I find the most pleasure out of my other random jobs: I’m a voice teacher (teach girls how to sing), Music & Arts coordinator at my church, and currently going to school for health coaching, and building my business as a coach– so I also have several clients I coach. (More info about it on my website.)

I look forward to dropping my “day job” and being able to structure a full-time schedule much like yours, with the variety of things I AM passionate about, and most importantly, feeling free and happy. 🙂

13. Christine says:

Your days sound fun, especially all the chocolate! 😉

I’m a housewife now (formally a Paralegal), and love all the things I do day to day to take care of my hubby, our fur-family and our home! I also love to cook/bake so this gives me time to experiment in the kitchen as well.

As another poster asked, I also wonder how you make some money? Do the advertisements pay a lot?

14. C.C says:

Two questions: This might be personal so if you don’t want to respond, I’ll pretend I didn’t ask. : ) First, how do you make money as a blogger? Advertising, I’m guessing? And is this enough? Second, do you get lonely working for yourself? Whenever I was freelancing I really missed having co-workers.

1. I’m working on a follow-up post for the first question.
      As for the second, I’m lucky that I kept in touch with a lot of my college friends, and then I’ve made friends through their friends. And my roommate has her friends who have become my friends… and of course I have you all ;).

But yeah, it’s kinda limiting… I’ve always thought it’d be fun to just pick up and move to somewhere like Florida or California. But with my job, making new friends would be hard. I’d probably join a vegan meet-up group or something.

15. Janet says:

One thing I don’t understand is how one gets “paid” to be a blogger. Is it just from advertisers on your site? Are there other sources of income from blogging? (I’m asking as an honest question even though it sounds a little sarcastic when I reread it). I would love to be paid to be a blog reader, but I don’t know who would foot that bill. 🙂

1. Does not sound sarcastic at all! To be honest, it’s something I’m curious about as well… I don’t understand the 1/2 of it!
      But I will try to answer your question in a follow-up post!

16. Lizzie says:

I’ve love to blog, but I have no idea how people can work full time and run beautiful sites. I could never do that, so I definitely see how this takes up all your time. Thanks for the glimpse. I’d love to learn how you mange to earn a living doing this – the financial side. 🙂

17. Intetesting! Thanks for sharing! I consider myself a full time mom, part time blogger. I love my job(s) 🙂

18. Katie, it’s always fun to read a blog from another Katie! I really enjoy what I do as I work in non-profit development. I meet amazing people. But I’m also finding that I love promoting healthy lifestyles. I recently started a blog as a way to turn my passion of healthy living into reality, and maybe one day I’ll be a full time blogger, too. Let me know what you think as I begin my journey. I’d love for you to stop by my little blog for a visit anytime at http://www.wishandwhimsy.wordpress.com.

1. I’ll be sure to check it out! 🙂

19. Brittany O says:

Hey Katie!
    Great post today! I never knew you were a runner! I am actually a marathoner and wondering if you have ever thought of creating a pre-run/race recipe? I know from experience that eating foods high in fiber are usually not the best before a long run or race and also it is good to have a food with a low glycemic index. Any ideas? I am struggling with ideas besides the same old oatmeal with banana.

Your energy bars look great, can’t wait to try them!

1. Barb says:

I love waffles or toast with peanut butter before long runs. One of the best long-run, low fiber energy bars I have discovered is the Honey Stinger brand. If you haven’t tried them, or don’t have time to make your own energy bars, you should pick one up!

1. Brittany O says:

Thanks for the idea on the honey stinger energy bars! I have tried that brand for race gummies and love them! Waffles also might be a great choice! I have a few marathons coming up and I need to find a food that doesn’t upset my stomach (or sits ok when I am a little nervous) and provides some good energy throughout the run! 🙂

2. I almost always run first thing in the morning, so I’ll just have some fruit and a handful of nuts pre-run. But I think my stomach is weird… when I was a freshman in college, I used to work out in the afternoons, and I could eat a giant piece of layer cake or a huge meal and still be fine for a run right afterwards! Of course, I’ve never in my life run a marathon… so maybe the discomfort would kick in if I ran longer?

1. Brittany O says:

I think the discomfort sets in more for me when it is a “race” or really long run! I get a little anxious and excited! Usually on shorter runs I can eat whatever but struggle on the longer ones! I heard Brendan Brazier a vegan elite triathlete might has some ideas on pre-run nutrition!

20. Funny, I just posted yesterday about Balance, and how I am not really ready or equipped to have blogging ba a full-time job. I would love to, but I am new, so need to get more readers, ads, etc., and my full-time job is Chief Operations Officer of my household – meaning mom, wife, cook, laundry person, grocery shopper, errand-runner, driver, etc. Luckily we outsource housecleaning, which leaves me with some time for blogging.