Healthy York Peppermint Patties

Rich, chocolatey, homemade and healthy York peppermint patties

DIY Healthy Peppermint Patties - No Bake and #healthy chocolate candies that taste exactly like York peppermint patties: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/04/30/cosmic-chocolate-peppermint-patties/ @choccoveredkt

Ooh, look!

Flying chocolate saucers!

Flying into my wide-open mouth. It’s funny how they don’t need to ask for directions…

vegan yorks

Thick chocolate coating, filled with a rush of sweet peppermint… These intense chocolate-peppermint patties are out-of-this-world good.

*Cue creepy sci-fi music.*

vegan yorks

pin-it

Healthy York Peppermint Patties

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

Ingredients

• 2 tsp water
  • 2 tbsp coconut butter
  • 1/8 tsp pure peppermint extract (or as desired)
  • 1 1/2 tsp agave or pure maple syrup, or stevia drops to taste
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil (unrefined)
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp water
  • 2 tbsp agave or pure maple syrup (see link below for a sugar-free sub)

Instructions

Combine first 4 ingredients in a little bowl. (Best if the coconut butter is not melted.) In a separate bowl, combine last 4 ingredients. In candy molds or cupcake liners, spread out 1/2 of the chocolate, then portion the mint filling on top. Finally, cover with the rest of the chocolate and freeze until chilled. If you’d prefer sugar-free peppermint patties, omit last 4 ingredients and use my Sugar Free Chocolate Sauce.

Substitution notes: If you don’t have coconut butter, perhaps you can sub more coconut oil, although I haven’t tried this and can’t vouch for the results. I haven’t tried any coconut-free variations of this particular recipe, but maybe try raw cashew butter or pureed cashews in the filling? If you don’t like mint, of course you are free to omit the extract. And you can sub melted chocolate chips for the last four ingredients if you don’t have coconut oil.

*View Homemade Yorks Nutrition Facts*

homemade yorks

Do you believe there’s life on other planets?

I know people are considered “quacks” if they believe in aliens, and I don’t believe in the green, googly-eyed aliens of science-fiction movies. But who really knows there’s not life in some form outside of our own solar system? Earth is still best, though; we have chocolate!!

Link Of The Day:

reeses eggs

Homemade Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Samantha says:

What a fun Monday morning recipe! This might make me get some peppermint extract, although my new love affair with coconut butter tells me that the filling would probably be pretty incredible on its own!

I love the thought of life on other planets…regardless of the complexity level. All I know is that the possibilities in “space” just seem huge. It makes the unknowns of the ocean feel small and those are already big enough.

Thank you for a great Monday morning! It is dark and stormy out here.

1. Justine Duppong @ Life With Cheeseburgers says:

I totally agree. The universe is just too huge for us to be the only ones out there!

I wonder what kind of sweets they eat on other planets??

2. These look amazing!! I may not be vegan (or even vegetarian) but I LOVE your recipes!!

As for life on other planets….ignorance is bliss, in that case :)

3. I can’t wait to make these for my dad’s birthday! Peppermint patties are his favorite!

4. Very inventive! Yummmmm! I love peppermint patties!!! This pregnant woman is thinking this a a WINNER!!!

5. Jill says:

I love how you’re redoing candy recipes like the peanut butter cups. Such great ideas!!

6. I think there could be life out there somewhere, I mean every single star is technically a “sun,” there could be whole other solar systems with life on one of the planets, you never know!

7. Crystal says:

YES! Making these tonight!

8. Katie says:

I don’t believe in greys and visitations. But I think that statistically, there -should- be life out there. I just don’t think that it would end up looking anything like what we think about when we think about life. And it’s probably so far out of our range to ever be able to travel (short of having some sort of Star Trek-like development or building ourselves a star gate) that we’re probably never going to know.

9. Tiffany L says:

Oh I am so happy to see these and g free!! I don’t live near any health food stores so I may have a hard time finding some of the ingredients but I’ll try my best! Yum!

10. Teresa says:

Just curious…. what brand of cocoa powder do you like to use?

1. I used to always use Hershey’s because it was cheapest. But I’ve been learning more about slave labor, and Hershey’s isn’t fair-trade, so now I try to only use fair-trade cocoa like Dagoba. It’s MUCH more expensive, but I figure that it has to be more expensive because they’re actually paying their workers!

1. Kerry says:

If I’m not mistaken Dagoba is a Hershey product. I live in PA and was just there (at Hershey Chocolate World) the Dagoba was sold in the gift shop. They probably wouldn’t do that if there wasn’t some connection, since the Rita’ s ice in the park couldn’t sell Sweedish Fish flavor because it wasn’t a Hershey product.

1. Samantha says:

Ugh.

So I admit, this made me do some research (similarly I am pretty much using up the last of my hershey’s and then also looking fair trade/ethically harvested options).

Dagoba was bought out by Hershey’s which is not fair trade and is actually under pressure to step up against child labor considering the chocolate market they control.

Dagoba still maintains its own separate operations and since still certified fair trade I assume their practices have maintained. But yes, they are owned by a company who’s practices are not currently not.

It would still sit a little better with me to purchase Dagoba, but I do understand the conflict in that Hershey’s still will profit.

11. Teresa says:

And by the way, these look awesome. Will definitely being making these soon.

12. K says:

can i use regular oil cant have coconut. i plan to use cocoa butter instead of coconut butter too

1. Sorry, I don’t think other oil will work. But you can just melt chocolate chips for the topping instead.

2. Mary Ann says:

I wondered that also. Thanks M

13. Kaleigh says:

These look soooo yummy!! When I was a kid, my gramma would always have the peppermint patty Klondike bars. They were my favorite!!

If you leave out the peppermint is it more like a Mounds bar? or add a few almonds on top and make an Almond Joy?? : D (which happens to be the candy of choice for my dad and I) I might just have to try that out today..

1. You might want to also add some shredded coconut and/or a little coconut extract because coconut butter doesn’t really have a coconutty flavor.

1. Samantha says:

:) OK – I love that you mentioned this modification because I was totally thinking about the shredded coconut addition this morning after I looked at this recipe.

14. Tiffany says:

Hey Katie,

I think I’ve read that you try and stay away from too much sugar because you dont have a sweet tooth. I’ve found that I dont have much of a sweet tooth (as I dont crave things with sugar normally) but I’ve noticed that when I have foods that are heavily sweetened or made out of refined flours (white bread, even white rice) my body feels as though its on a sugar high and I want more and more sugar. I try and eat as clean of a diet as possibly with many whole foods and whole grains.

Do you have any suggestions? I’m thinking of cutting out all processed white foods, ice cream and see what happens for a little bit. I only eat white refined if I’m at a restaurant and I order pasta or have some bread out of the bread basket. At home I use whole grains in every meal.

Do you know if using stevia gives people the same sugar rush?

Thank you so much I really appreciate your opinion. Also, if any CCK readers would like to comment I’d love to hear from you too :)

1. Sandra says:

Stevia dont give you a sugar rush! :)

1. Sorry, I don’t really know! It doesn’t give me a sugar rush, but I don’t eat much of it so I can’t say if it would if I ate larger quantities.

2. Rachel R says:

Try the 21 Day Sugar Detox from Balanced Bites. It should regulate your blood sugar levels. Then reintroduce the foods you cut out one at a time to see how they affect you! http://the21daysugardetox.com/

3. Traci says:

Stivia will not give you a sugar high because it is acctually takes longer for the body to digest so it acctually levels your blood sugar instead of spiking it.

15. Anna Banana says:

Hey Katie! These look incredibly awesome, especially since it is finals week for my grad program and the makes me want chocolate even more than usual. Do you have any substitution suggestions for the coconut oil? I make my own coconut butter, so I generally have that on hand but the oil is pretty pricey.

1. Anna Banana says:

Oh man, I hate grammatical errors. I meant “that makes me want chocolate even more than usual.” I’m sure you could figure it out, but it was going to bug me.

1. Thanks for reminding me! I just edited my post. You can omit last three ingredients and just use melted chocolate chips as the coating.

2. Anonymous says:

You can get coconut oil at Vitacost for 20.99 (54 oz)

it’s wonderful I use it all the time!

16. I want these. Like…now.

As far as life on other planets, while it’s not something I really think about, I think it would be a little naive to think that in the vast universe Earth is the only planet graced with life of some sort, ya know? (Whether it be breathing life or plant life, etc)

1. Fiona says:

I bet the other life forms out there probably think the same thing, ya know? That THEY’re the only ones out there. Little do they know! 😉

17. Claire says:

Sorry if I’m just missing this, but what’s the yield for this recipe?

1. Lisa C says:

Ooo I can answer for Katie!
      It’s on her “view nutrition facts” link.

18. Toni says:

Yes, I am wondering like Claire… how many does this recipe make?

1. Lisa C says:

See above answer!

19. Lauren says:

These look amazing! Anything with peppermint I’m all about!

20. I never buy any fun extracts but I always want to! This recipe makes me want to go out and buy peppermint extract NOW! They look so yummy!